The coronavirus

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,059

Sweden. Deaths per day.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Good afternoon, all.

I hope you and your families (& friends) are doing well. That's all I wanted to say, Be well, all.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    mfc2006 said:
    Good afternoon, all.

I hope you and your families (& friends) are doing well. That's all I wanted to say, Be well, all.
    Right back at ya! Safe weekend 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    mfc2006 said:
    Good afternoon, all.

Same to you Matt!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    The fact that trying to save lives and combat the virus has become overly political enrages me, but doesn't surprise me because of who the president is. He purposely avoided taking any action and now provokes these assholes to liberate. Fuck all of this. Work together and figure out a way to save lives you asshole!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    pjl44 said:
    DewieCox said:
    rgambs said:
    I don't hate Joe Rogan, but he is definitely the moron's smart man.
    The dumbest people I know think he's just so smart lol
    He has interesting interests and doesn’t really alienate anybody with his views. Well rounded enough to let smarter people do the work.
    This is the point about Rogan that everyone who fills a diaper over him misses. His fans don't like him because they think he's smart. He tells you ten times in every podcast that he isn't. He has two areas of expertise: comedy and MMA. For everything else, he seeks out experts on certain topics and peppers them with questions from the average person's perspective. People appreciate humility which is why he has so much more of a following than those who shriek about him. 
    I wish I had $100 for every time I heard someone not too bright say that "Joe Rogan is so smart, dude" 
    I might even be able to buy myself a tractor!

I like Joe, and I like his show, but as someone else mentioned, his fringe conspiracy theory shit doesn't pass the sniff test.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • densandensan Posts: 563
    I ventured out to drive the car, and discovered everyone here thinks it is over. 
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • densan said:
    I ventured out to drive the car, and discovered everyone here thinks it is over. 
    Lol.  Does that mean there were people out acting as they normally would?
    Where do you live?
    (Hopefully nowhere with a lot of active cases!)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    the "does anyone believe this number" moment from Trumps press briefing. Haha.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,514

Interview with Johan Giesecke in english.

Swedish expert: why lockdowns are the wrong policy

https://youtu.be/bfN2JWifLCY

Professor Johan Giesecke, one of the world’s most senior epidemiologists, advisor to the Swedish Government (he hired Anders Tegnell who is currently directing Swedish strategy), the first Chief Scientist of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, and an advisor to the director general of the WHO, lays out with typically Swedish bluntness why he thinks:

UK policy on lockdown and other European countries are not evidence-based
    The correct policy is to protect the old and the frail only (and riskgroups)
    This will eventually lead to herd immunity as a “by-product”
    The initial UK response, before the “180 degree U-turn”, was better
    The Imperial College paper was “not very good” and he has never seen an unpublished paper have so much policy impact
    The paper was very much too pessimistic
    Any such models are a dubious basis for public policy anyway
    The flattening of the curve is due to the most vulnerable dying first as much as the lockdown
    The results will eventually be similar for all countries
    Covid-19 is a “mild disease” and similar to the flu, and it was the novelty of the disease that scared people.
    The actual fatality rate of Covid-19 is the region of 0.1%
    At least 50% of the population of both the UK and Sweden will be shown to have already had the disease when mass antibody testing becomes available

So the NY Post sports photographer and bassist from Fountains of Wayne were “old and frail?”

Professor Johan Giesecke, one of the world’s most senior epidemiologists, advisor to the Swedish Government (he hired Anders Tegnell who is currently directing Swedish strategy), the first Chief Scientist of the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, and an advisor to the director general of the WHO, lays out with typically Swedish bluntness why he thinks:

The Imperial College paper was “not very good” and he has never seen an unpublished paper have so much policy impact
    The flattening of the curve is due to the most vulnerable dying first as much as the lockdown
    Covid-19 is a “mild disease” and similar to the flu, and it was the novelty of the disease that scared people.
    At least 50% of the population of both the UK and Sweden will be shown to have already had the disease when mass antibody testing becomes available

So the NY Post sports photographer and bassist from Fountains of Wayne were “old and frail?”
    Listen to the interview. Or it's best to not respond to the interview you don't care to listen to.

Thank you.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I don’t listen to those anymore.  What was the full quote?   Also has anyone read this about reinfections?

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/south-koreas-new-coronavirus-twist-recovered-patients-test-positive-again-11587145248

Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    edited April 2020
    static111 said:
    I don’t listen to those anymore.  What was the full quote?   Also has anyone read this about reinfections?

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/south-koreas-new-coronavirus-twist-recovered-patients-test-positive-again-11587145248

Just saw a short clip of Trump walking to the screen showing numbers of dead in different countries, interrupting the woman talking and pointing to Iran and China and saying "does anyone believe these numbers" while the woman eyerolls in her mind and tries to get back on track. 

Listen to the interview. Or it's best to not respond to the interview you don't care to listen to.

Thank you.
    Cut to the chase. Have these experts identified the specific risks for victims under 52 have faced?

Thank you. 
    static111 said:

Just saw a short clip of Trump walking to the screen showing numbers of dead in different countries, interrupting the woman talking and pointing to Iran and China and saying "does anyone believe these numbers" while the woman eyerolls in her mind and tries to get back on track. 
    Wow
    Scio me nihil scire

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,580
    mfc2006 said:
    Good afternoon, all.

Thanks so much!  You as well, mfc. :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

densan said:

Oh, not good!  Where do you live?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

nicknyr15 said:
    Those fools.  
    You are excited about a video that begins by calling out the covid scam?

Conspiracy theories deserve their own thread, where anyone who believe this is a scam can discuss .  You have been asked before - please take your posts there.  This is for people who believe in facts and are sharing about what everyone is going through.
    Didn’t he start a thread? And then it got shut down lol 
    Yes but that doesn't change my overall ask....get outta here with that trash calling the virus a scam!
    The new thread would likely burn to the ground quickly, again, but at least it wouldn't be here.

Hundreds of people died in NJ and NY again yesterday.  I feel pretty sure I survived having it but so many around us are not that fortunate.  Only a fool calls it a scam.

Spend some time on conservative or  libertarian forums. They'll argue the media is lying about the number of deaths because enough of the deaths are due to the flu or normal old age and after "fixing" the statistics the remaining deaths brings covid mortality in line with influenza. 

Dare to disagree and they will pounce so hard they make trump look like a lightweight. 
  • nicknyr15 said:
    Those fools.  
    You are excited about a video that begins by calling out the covid scam?

Conspiracy theories deserve their own thread, where anyone who believe this is a scam can discuss .  You have been asked before - please take your posts there.  This is for people who believe in facts and are sharing about what everyone is going through.
    Didn’t he start a thread? And then it got shut down lol 
    Yes but that doesn't change my overall ask....get outta here with that trash calling the virus a scam!
    The new thread would likely burn to the ground quickly, again, but at least it wouldn't be here.

Hundreds of people died in NJ and NY again yesterday.  I feel pretty sure I survived having it but so many around us are not that fortunate.  Only a fool calls it a scam.

Spend some time on conservative or  libertarian forums. They'll argue the media is lying about the number of deaths because enough of the deaths are due to the flu or normal old age and after "fixing" the statistics the remaining deaths brings covid mortality in line with influenza. 

Dare to disagree and they will pounce so hard they make trump look like a lightweight. 
    I would rather drive a nail through a body part then go on any of those sites in this climate.
    This is the only site I participate in and before Trump I was always a conservative voice.  He changed things for me.  
    static111 said:
    The CCP must be made to pay for this.
    You realize that none of this would have happened if the world didn’t turn a blind eye to human rights abuses in China at the cost of getting cheap TVs and smart phones.  Anyone that’s out there buying cheap consumer goods is as responsible as anyone. Not China’s fault that the corporations of the west decided to do away with jobs in their own countries so they could make a higher profit off of Chinese labor.  Want to be mad at someone try the hundreds of corporations that move production offshore so they can report higher profits at the expense of labor both foreign and domestically.
    It’s always the big corporations. Jesus h Christ. 

Certainly moving manufacturing to China didn’t include all the potential costs that we are now paying. But this is far more about the government in China then any corporation. Always the corporations fault... Jesus h Christ.

It's kinda about the US govt receiving political contributions (aka bribes) from corporations and its owners to allow trading with china for cheap goods while they have minimal safety regulations. 

What's the point of having an FDA to protect us if china doesnt regulate for safety and as a result they can send a deadly virus here quicker than a shipping container? 

If there were ever a moment to examine the immorality of capitalism in our lifetime now would be that time.
    static111 said:
    The CCP must be made to pay for this.
    You realize that none of this would have happened if the world didn’t turn a blind eye to human rights abuses in China at the cost of getting cheap TVs and smart phones.  Anyone that’s out there buying cheap consumer goods is as responsible as anyone. Not China’s fault that the corporations of the west decided to do away with jobs in their own countries so they could make a higher profit off of Chinese labor.  Want to be mad at someone try the hundreds of corporations that move production offshore so they can report higher profits at the expense of labor both foreign and domestically.
    It’s always the big corporations. Jesus h Christ. 

Certainly moving manufacturing to China didn’t include all the potential costs that we are now paying. But this is far more about the government in China then any corporation. Always the corporations fault... Jesus h Christ.

It's kinda about the US govt receiving political contributions (aka bribes) from corporations and its owners to allow trading with china for cheap goods while they have minimal safety regulations. 

What's the point of having an FDA to protect us if china doesnt regulate for safety and as a result they can send a deadly virus here quicker than a shipping container? 

If there were ever a moment to examine the immorality of capitalism in our lifetime now would be that time.
    But what about the bottom line?...😭
    Scio me nihil scire

• what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    tbergs said:
    The fact that trying to save lives and combat the virus has become overly political enrages me, but doesn't surprise me because of who the president is. He purposely avoided taking any action and now provokes these assholes to liberate. Fuck all of this. Work together and figure out a way to save lives you asshole!
    I heard an interview with a scientist working on the remdesivir treatment make a comment about the hydroquiniolooo (sp??) controversy: We have become so divided in this country, people are arguing over a drug. It's insane.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    brianlux said:
    densan said:

Lots of cars where I live too, which gave me pause -- but I finally realized many of them may be restaurant delivery drivers 
    brianlux said:
    densan said:

Lots of cars where I live too, which gave me pause -- but I finally realized many of them may be restaurant delivery drivers 

Not a bad time to have a delivery job- lots of work, fewer commuters, inexpensive gas!

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Do you have any statement on how you feel about that video that you present here?
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I gotta say, the comments and dramatic music turned me off as much as the video itself (I watched it in digestible bits).
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:
    densan said:

A fair number of them here too.  I think the delivery drivers theory is correct.  And dispensaries deliver too! :lol:
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    I'll save everyone a click: This is dumb, but also, what are they putting in the water? Let's get some thoughts on that.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
This discussion has been closed.