The coronavirus

Comments

• CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    If it were any of you posting from that ship, you’d be screaming for the ACLU and complaining about illegal detention, particularly if you were a “citizen.” Think there’s still an open bar?
    There was an interview with a few people from MN on the ship.  They are not allowed to leave their room.  Food is delivered, but they're not allowed to interact with each other or the staff.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,388
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Trump telling us, yet again, that he doesn't give a shit about people.  Speaking about the ship off the shore in Oakland...

“I’d rather have the people stay, but I’d go with them. I told them to make the final decision.”

“I would rather because I like the numbers being where they are,” Trump continued. “I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault. And it wasn't the fault of the people on the ship either, okay? It wasn't their fault either and they're mostly Americans. So, I can live either way with it. I'd rather have them stay on, personally.”

If the ship is indeed infected, why wouldn't you have them stay on the ship?  Keeping them on there would quarantine them successfully.

Not sure why this is an issue?
    Agreed.  Keep them on the damn ship. 
    If they’re being cared for then what’s the difference where they’re quarantined? I agreee 
    @mcgruff10 too..

In what world would cruise ship health care be better than that of the California medical system?
    In what world should the CDC not be prepared to handle this situation?
    In what world would you think that your parents or children should be left quarantined on a cruise ship rather than getting care as a US citizen?

Have you all checked your empathy at the door?  
    I articulated myself 100% wrong, I agree that they should be quarantined somewhere on US soil.  Just keep them quarantined on the ship until those facilities are ready.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,312
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Trump telling us, yet again, that he doesn't give a shit about people.  Speaking about the ship off the shore in Oakland...

“I’d rather have the people stay, but I’d go with them. I told them to make the final decision.”

“I would rather because I like the numbers being where they are,” Trump continued. “I don't need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn't our fault. And it wasn't the fault of the people on the ship either, okay? It wasn't their fault either and they're mostly Americans. So, I can live either way with it. I'd rather have them stay on, personally.”

If the ship is indeed infected, why wouldn't you have them stay on the ship?  Keeping them on there would quarantine them successfully.

If they’re being cared for then what’s the difference where they’re quarantined? I agreee 
    @mcgruff10 too..

In what world would cruise ship health care be better than that of the California medical system?
    In what world would you think that your parents or children should be left quarantined on a cruise ship rather than getting care as a US citizen?

I articulated myself 100% wrong, I agree that they should be quarantined somewhere on US soil.  Just keep them quarantined on the ship until those facilities are ready.  
    The ship is docking today.  My point is that Trump ONLY cares about the politics of the matter, not the citizens.  
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,388
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

@mcgruff10 too..

The ship is docking today.  My point is that Trump ONLY cares about the politics of the matter, not the citizens.  
    Yup I agree with you.  I was 100% wrong in my statement.  Have facilities ready and take the US citizens off the ship.  I can't even imagine being locked in my cabin for days/weeks.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,114
    If you know someone is positive, is there not a safe way to transport them to a medical facility on land? The danger isn't that it's highly contagious, it's people walking around with it unknowingly and spreading it like the flu, no? 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    Trump Overruled Health Officials Who Wanted to Warn the Elderly Not to Fly 

The White House removed air travel warnings from a CDC plan meant to control the coronavirus, according to a report that the administration denied

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/trump-overruled-health-officials-warning-elderly-not-to-fly-964230/

The White House ordered the removal of language from a federal health coronavirus plan that recommended warning elderly and physically vulnerable Americans not to fly on commercial airlines.

The reason for the change is unknown, according to the AP’s source who had direct knowledge of the original plan submitted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The White House denied the report. The press secretary for Vice President Mike Pence, Katie Miller, took to Twitter on Saturday and wrote, “Nope, not true. AP reporting off one unnamed individual.” Miller also tweeted that the “story is complete fiction. It was never a recommendation to the Task Force.”

One of the administration’s top health officials, Dr. Anthony Fauci, also denied the report on Fox News Sunday.

But as Trump continues to downplay the extent of the virus in the U.S., Fauci told host Chris Wallace, “We are having, obviously, an acceleration in cases now. If you look at it, every day we have more and more.”

According to a new report in the New York Times, the White House has been in upheaval since the virus became a concern, and debates over how the “government’s actions are perceived by the public” and “what would the president think?” are omnipresent.

Trump, of course, lashed out at the Times’ reporting on Twitter, writing, “We have a perfectly coordinated and fine tuned plan at the White House for our attack on CoronaVirus. We moved VERY early to close borders to certain areas, which was a Godsend. V.P. is doing a great job. The Fake News Media is doing everything possible to make us look bad. Sad!”

What’s sad is that most of what the president is telling the public and tweeting about regarding the coronavirus crisis is not true, and his lies put us all in danger.

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    lol the Baffoon still has a few posters here believing that he’s our best informed president on this issue lol talk about clueless! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    All that to say I don't think you should keep people quarantined on a cruise ship unless it's absolutely necessary and this doesn't strike me as absolutely necessary 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,135
    CM189191 said:
    If it were any of you posting from that ship, you’d be screaming for the ACLU and complaining about illegal detention, particularly if you were a “citizen.” Think there’s still an open bar?
    There was an interview with a few people from MN on the ship.  They are not allowed to leave their room.  Food is delivered, but they're not allowed to interact with each other or the staff.
    If this was the three posters here on that cruise they’d be livid at the response from our supreme leader! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    pjl44 said:
    If you know someone is positive, is there not a safe way to transport them to a medical facility on land? The danger isn't that it's highly contagious, it's people walking around with it unknowingly and spreading it like the flu, no? 
    You're absolutely right.  This isn't ebola.  
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,005
    I got chickenpox at the ripe age of 34.  I was all set to go on a plane across the country to a business function that was mandatory.

Had to cancel the trip because I had a highly contagious infection and didn't want to spread it knowingly so I stayed home.  Nobody dies from getting chicken pox that I've heard but I stayed home to stop the spread.

The people on that ship need to understand that them staying put helps stop the spread of something that can actually kill people.

It's an inconvenience, yes but it can also be life saving.
    I got chickenpox at the ripe age of 34.  I was all set to go on a plane across the country to a business function that was mandatory.

Had to cancel the trip because I had a highly contagious infection and didn't want to spread it knowingly so I stayed home.  Nobody dies from getting chicken pox that I've heard but I stayed home to stop the spread.

The people on that ship need to understand that them staying put helps stop the spread of something that can actually kill people.

I don't think anyone is saying you should put those people on a plane with 200 other healthy passengers. On land, we're bringing those people to hospitals aren't we? Why would it be any different to transport them from a cruise ship?
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,211

I’m assuming you were home, which I’ll also assume is larger than 150-220 square feet, the average size of a cruise ship cabin? I’ll also assume you might not have shared your square footage with a spouse or travel companion and that you were also able to do the other vagaries of life, like pay your bills, care for your pets, maybe even cook and clean, take in the mail, water your plants?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

You don't get it. By leaving people on the ship they are putting other healthy passengers and staff on the ship at greater risk of infection.

This all played out already on the cruise ship off the coast of Japan. The experts say it's stupid to keep them on the ship.

Interesting to see you say this isn't a big deal earlier then you support this draconian action. 
    dignin said:

You don't get it. By leaving people on the ship they are putting other healthy passengers and staff on the ship at greater risk of infection.

This all played out already on the cruise ship off the coast of Japan. The experts say it's stupid to keep them on the ship.

Interesting to see you say this isn't a big deal earlier then you support this draconian action. 
    Right, the irony of the hoax theory.  It's a hoax, but close the borders, keep Americans off short, less dangerous than the flu, it's a hoax...  
    dignin said:

Not what I said at all.  Y'all just like to see things a certain way and skew it.

I said that people w respiratory problems and older people will be at risk but it doesn't mean that we shouldn't try and stop the spread of it.

That falls right in line w leaving the people on the cruise ship.

Sorry you think it's draconian but it's an easy way to keep the people in one spot until they can get doctors on there to test people.

I’m assuming you were home, which I’ll also assume is larger than 150-220 square feet, the average size of a cruise ship cabin? I’ll also assume you might not have shared your square footage with a spouse or travel companion and that you were also able to do the other vagaries of life, like pay your bills, care for your pets, maybe even cook and clean, take in the mail, water your plants?
    I was not on a ship, correct but I understand about taking one for the team so to speak.  Thanks for using my morale compass against me, nice touch.

I am not worried about contacting the virus should I get it, I'll survive, it's the other people that can't fight off the virus that I would be afraid for. It wouldn't sit well with me knowing I spread something that could potentially kill someone.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

@mcgruff10 too..

Yup I agree with you.  I was 100% wrong in my statement.  Have facilities ready and take the US citizens off the ship.  I can't even imagine being locked in my cabin for days/weeks.  
    But in't that the same off the ship? Aren't people still just locked in their rooms? I remember that the case for the first few dozen cases, they were locked in a hospital room, not allowed to leave or have interaction. So what is the difference if it is there or a boat?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,062
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

@mcgruff10 too..

But in't that the same off the ship? Aren't people still just locked in their rooms? I remember that the case for the first few dozen cases, they were locked in a hospital room, not allowed to leave or have interaction. So what is the difference if it is there or a boat?
    Less risk of pirates
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I’ll say this. There is no plan and I’d be mad at that. 

I was not on a ship, correct but I understand about taking one for the team so to speak.  Thanks for using my morale compass against me, nice touch.

I am not worried about contacting the virus should I get it, I'll survive, it's the other people that can't fight off the virus that I would be afraid for. It wouldn't sit well with me knowing I spread something that could potentially kill someone.
    I'd love for you to be posting from that ship as your attitude seems to be, "whats the big deal, I stayed home for a week." You were home. With chicken pox. Should I call you a hero for not flying? The bottom line is that the current US government is incapable of dealing with the situation and by now, they should have had a plan for docking, removing, testing and quarantining those passengers requiring it, whether at home or collectively. Canada seems ready and able to remove their citizens. Will Team Trump Treason prevent them from doing so because he doesn't want to look stupid?

You would only spread something if you disobeyed the direction of the medical personnel and went out and about on your daily routine. Are you advocating for those people who are self-isolating to be collectively held? Maybe under armed guard?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©

I'd love for you to be posting from that ship as your attitude seems to be, "whats the big deal, I stayed home for a week." You were home. With chicken pox. Should I call you a hero for not flying? The bottom line is that the current US government is incapable of dealing with the situation and by now, they should have had a plan for docking, removing, testing and quarantining those passengers requiring it, whether at home or collectively. Canada seems ready and able to remove their citizens. Will Team Trump Treason prevent them from doing so because he doesn't want to look stupid?

You would only spread something if you disobeyed the direction of the medical personnel and went out and about on your daily routine. Are you advocating for those people who are self-isolating to be collectively held? Maybe under armed guard?
    Your last sentence grabbed me the most. Man you really go off the fucking rails sometimes...

I also said I’d be mad at them (govt) fornot having a plan. 

Should I not be mad then if I was placed in a hospital under quarantine or that’s acceptable?
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

@mcgruff10 too..

There are two things at play here.  I posted the quote because I think it shows a window into Trump's thinking.  He isn't talking about the spread, he isn't talking about healthcare, he's not talking about citizens.  He's talking about the stats and his 'numbers'.  

Second, I suppose that one could reasonably argue for keeping them on the ship.  Two things:

1. They are citizens and we should make every effort to get them onshore and cared for and/or quarantined in a way fitting of the wealthiest nation the world has ever seen.  
    2. The majority of the sick people are the actual crew.. the ones that feed, clean and keep people in their cabins.  We need to get our citizens off the ship.  

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Cruise ships as cesspools at the best of times.  They are environmental disasters and they cater to the laziest and least interesting people who are at least willing to take a vacation.  
    Get off my lawn.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,316
    rgambs said:
    Cruise ships as cesspools at the best of times.  They are environmental disasters and they cater to the laziest and least interesting people who are at least willing to take a vacation.  
    Get off my lawn.
    Wow, nice.  People that take cruises are lazy.  Got it.
    hippiemom = goodness

Your last sentence grabbed me the most. Man you really go off the fucking rails sometimes...

I also said I’d be mad at them (govt) fornot having a plan. 

Should I not be mad then if I was placed in a hospital under quarantine or that’s acceptable?
    I'm not sure what you're worried about. From our very stable geniuses twitter:

So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!

You tell me? Personally, I'd rather be in a hospital knowing I'm getting medical care, if needed/required, rather than being stuck on a cruise ship with no end in site and no information about my immediate future, and worried about all the shit I have at home to deal with, you know, mortgage payments, car payments, utility bills, because I'm sure the Team Trump Treason Response Team has that part figured out too. Or, allow me to self-isolate at home.

Some people's defense of this idiot in chief is astounding.

Brilliantati©
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    rgambs said:
    Get off my lawn.
    For some reason, this reminds me of an exchange on Seinfeld after George learns the person he's competing with for an apartment is a survivor of a shipwreck, and the tenant's board is favoring the survivor. 

KRAMER: 51 people died.

GEORGE: 51 people?! That's it?! I thought it was, like, a thousand!

KRAMER: There were 1,650 survivors.

GEORGE: That's no tragedy! How many people do you lose on a normal cruse? 30? 40?! 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    Get off my lawn.
    Eh, I wouldn't say that necessarily. Maybe they are hard workers, dedicated parents, committed community members... But their vacation tastes... 🤮

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I recognize we're all a little panicky and unsure, so I'm certainly sympathetic to the "keep them on the ship" line of thinking. I wouldn't go after someone for holding that opinion or think there was something morally wrong with them. I don't think anyone here has a background in infectious diseases. It's just that if I or a loved one were on that ship, I would want me or them to be brought back on shore and to a medical facility if at all possible. Based on what I've read about how this spreads, it seems that could be reasonably done.

Someone with expertise in the field could change my mind, though, if there was a logical argument against it. The biggest problem with Trump's response is you see what he feels his incentives are and it makes you distrust anything coming from his administration that feels overly conservative. If he wants to keep people there it's not because health officials convinced him it's the best way to stop the spread, but because he wants to fudge the numbers and/or he doesn't understand how it's spread. Frustrating all around. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,062
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Get off my lawn.
    Eh, I wouldn't say that necessarily. Maybe they are hard workers, dedicated parents, committed community members... But their vacation tastes... 🤮

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
This discussion has been closed.