The coronavirus

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    static111 said:
    It’s the natural outcome of an extreme focus on individual “rights” over collective good. It leads to millions upon millions of people who believe that no one has the right to tell them what to do, even if their actions harm others. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Whitmers 2 biggest mistakes:
    Exemption for religious services 
    Not banning those stupid yellow “don’t tread on me” flags.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• mfc2006 said:
    i got called in to cover a surgery tuesday morning. i had not been in a hospital or a surgery center in 11 days. it is insane that some of these hospitals are still doing elective procedures. it is going to get hospital staff sick, and potentially patients, and ancillary staff like me. 

we had a conference call yesterday saying that kansas and missouri will be the last two states to resume elective surgeries, sometime in late june. as a surgical sales rep in missouri and southern illinois, i could be fucked for awhile.
    Sorry to hear that, man. My wife had her planned procedure put on hold & I really hope it's sooner than late June. Be well.
    thanks man. I do too. Missouri is actually predicted to be the last state to resume them. i am not sure why that is, but i think it might be because they were the last to recommend canceling elective cases. 

hopefully they can get your wife taken care of sooner than later.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,004
    static111 said:
    It’s the natural outcome of an extreme focus on individual “rights” over collective good. It leads to millions upon millions of people who believe that no one has the right to tell them what to do, even if their actions harm others. 
    It goes beyond that.  I am having these conversations with people here in NY and they believe that "their civil liberties are being trampled on".  
    They say they "have a right to not wear a mask or social distance but if you want to do it that's ok but don't force it on us/me."

These same people are saying that "the government made the usa a totalitarian country , just like that and everyone fell in a row."

When you have places that have 40 deaths in the state of course you are going to have angry people but they don't get it.  What we are experiencing here in NY is like no other place.  I do wonder if it is because of our mass transit system?  Our high rises?

The rest of the US isn't getting what we are and they are frustrated, I get that.  How do you make someone understand?

• elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,359
    i got called in to cover a surgery tuesday morning. i had not been in a hospital or a surgery center in 11 days. it is insane that some of these hospitals are still doing elective procedures. it is going to get hospital staff sick, and potentially patients, and ancillary staff like me. 

we had a conference call yesterday saying that kansas and missouri will be the last two states to resume elective surgeries, sometime in late june. as a surgical sales rep in missouri and southern illinois, i could be fucked for awhile.
    Sorry to hear, here there’s only a few cases being done none are elective we went from over 65 elective cases a day  to basically zero..
    Yesterday I asked if you could shed some light on the patients in your hospital that are losing the battle to covid19.  Can you provide anything? Pre existing conditions, how bad were they when they got to your hospital, what was their age? How did they contact the virus? Stuff like that.Thanks.

Sorry to hear, here there’s only a few cases being done none are elective we went from over 65 elective cases a day  to basically zero..
    Yesterday I asked if you could shed some light on the patients in your hospital that are losing the battle to covid19.  Can you provide anything? Pre existing conditions, how bad were they when they got to your hospital, what was their age? How did they contact the virus? Stuff like that.Thanks.
    I believe I can get some of that info for you.
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,359

Thanks. I feel like the stories of who and how people are catching this are fading away. I’m just curious from someone on the front lines how it’s going. 
  • We had what I believe was our highest death toll yesterday in NJ.  350+ leaving this existence.  
    New York still doubled that.
    Glad to see some places with less than those totals in the whole deal.  
    Hope that can hold.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    static111 said:
    It goes beyond that.  I am having these conversations with people here in NY and they believe that "their civil liberties are being trampled on".  
    They say they "have a right to not wear a mask or social distance but if you want to do it that's ok but don't force it on us/me."

These same people are saying that "the government made the usa a totalitarian country , just like that and everyone fell in a row."

When you have places that have 40 deaths in the state of course you are going to have angry people but they don't get it.  What we are experiencing here in NY is like no other place.  I do wonder if it is because of our mass transit system?  Our high rises?

The rest of the US isn't getting what we are and they are frustrated, I get that.  How do you make someone understand?

Explaining NYC to someone who has never been there is difficult, there is no other city in the US that comes close as far as comparison. It also has to be the easiest to spread a virus like this due to the population density, close living quarters, mass transit and incoming/outgoing travel. If the virus can be controlled there it will be exponentially easier to control anywhere else, but the rest of the country doesn't need to be naive about it.

Thanks. I feel like the stories of who and how people are catching this are fading away. I’m just curious from someone on the front lines how it’s going. 
    My friend did tell us last week that the bodies were mountaining because there is literally a backlog of dead people in the morgues.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,751
    edited April 2020
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,577

Oh man, that fucking sucks.  I hope you have all the protective gear you need.  Maybe consider going so far as to shower and toss your clothes in the washer when you get off work. 

There should be no elective surgeries at this time.   I have a basal cell carcinoma that I had scheduled for removal this month and back in mid-March I called to have it cancelled.  They said they were cancelling all elective surgeries and I said, "Good! Thank you!"

Stay well and keep us posted, my friend.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    New numbers from NJ

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    NJ schools closed until May 15.  
  • brianlux said:

Oh man, that fucking sucks.  I hope you have all the protective gear you need.  Maybe consider going so far as to shower and toss your clothes in the washer when you get off work. 

There should be no elective surgeries at this time.   I have a basal cell carcinoma that I had scheduled for removal this month and back in mid-March I called to have it cancelled.  They said they were cancelling all elective surgeries and I said, "Good! Thank you!"

Stay well and keep us posted, my friend.

I have the masks i need. they provide scrubs for me to change into and out of, but that account does not have a shower i can use. it is 2.5 hours away from my home so i wish i could shower before i hit the road back home. i do shower when i get home though as well as launder my personal scrubs.

probably smart to reschedule that one if you can wait. hopefully they can take care of that soon for you. keep us posted on how it goes.

thanks man, you stay well as well.

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,831
    I just don’t understand how we can’t be locked down until a vaccine. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    mcgruff10 said:
    NJ schools closed until August
    Fixed.

bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Fixed.

Yeah no doubt it is gonna happen.  
  • mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Fixed.

missouri schools canceled the remainder of the school year last week.

Read what I wrote above and look at what Michigan did recently.

There will be rioting soon, just you wait.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    Impossible to shut down the U.S. and/or global economy until late 2021, assuming that is the timeline for a vaccine.  The economic fallout would be incomprehensible.

• pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,112
    PJPOWER said:
    pjl44 said:
    How about those protests in KY and MI? What a bunch of morons. Here’s a hospital worker who couldn’t make it to work because of the protest ranting about it....

https://youtu.be/1t-GzuZukQs
    MI protests are a textbook example of having the right to be upset, yet expressing it in the worst possible way 
    Isn’t the new norm to protests by blocking streets?  There were a lot around here supporting that method not too long ago...I, for one, still think it is bad taste to block roadways protesting this or that.
    Agree completely. I felt the exact same way about the BLM protests where they used the same methods. Their concerns were valid, but I think blocking roadways did more to turn people against them than win support.
    Completely hypothetical, but if you had effective treatment there would be less concern about catching a bad case.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,132

Can’t really give to much info since im not directly involved with patients I’m more part of the support team for the anesthesia dept , but from talking with MD’s and nurses it really varies on body types and races most that have perished here had underlying conditions , most are men , most are either Spanish or  African Americans off course there’s women too ages anywhere from older 70’s to as young as late 20’s , my niece is an X-ray tech in Manhattan she has done patients as young as 22 ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    23scidoo said:
    @josevolution stay strong!!
    Thanks man it’s been a real challenge..
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253
    That could be a year or longer. You think people can go without work for a year?

that is crazy. hope you all can stay afloat.

i just got an email that they are adding one on for Wed. they are using our graft that will expire the following week. i hate taking risks like this.
    Yeah it’s nerve racking to say the least wishing you the best !
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Fixed.

missouri schools canceled the remainder of the school year last week.
    When do Missouri schools usually start summer break?  We were supposed to go until June 25.
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

DETROIT – In the last several weeks, many false or misleading theories have surfaced on social media about coronavirus, and the response to coronavirus.

We’re taking a look at some of these messages circulating the internet, to see if there’s any credible information available to support it -- or to debunk it.

Michigan banned sales on seeds, gardening, American flags

This is false.

This idea is one of the biggest drivers that sparked a massive protest in Lansing on Wednesday. According to Politifact, this is not specified anywhere in Gov. Whitmer’s stay-home order.

“In reality, executive order 2020-42, which went into effect April 9, 2020, requires larger stores to block off certain areas of their sales floors as a way of limiting the number of people in those stores. The order does not ban gardening or the sale of any product, including, as we mentioned in a previous fact-check, American flags.”

Gov. Whitmer’s order does deem landscaping services as “non-essential,” but some localities are not enforcing.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

Hi! said:

DETROIT – In the last several weeks, many false or misleading theories have surfaced on social media about coronavirus, and the response to coronavirus.

We’re taking a look at some of these messages circulating the internet, to see if there’s any credible information available to support it -- or to debunk it.

Michigan banned sales on seeds, gardening, American flags

This is false.

This idea is one of the biggest drivers that sparked a massive protest in Lansing on Wednesday. According to Politifact, this is not specified anywhere in Gov. Whitmer’s stay-home order.

“In reality, executive order 2020-42, which went into effect April 9, 2020, requires larger stores to block off certain areas of their sales floors as a way of limiting the number of people in those stores. The order does not ban gardening or the sale of any product, including, as we mentioned in a previous fact-check, American flags.”

Gov. Whitmer’s order does deem landscaping services as “non-essential,” but some localities are not enforcing.

Politifact: "Well ackshually removing items from shelves and blocking off sections isn't teknikully banning sales"

This discussion has been closed.