The coronavirus

Comments

• bbiggs said:
    China is the 5th safest in the world.  Isn't that something.  This sure sounds like leading the safety category to me...

We should just avoid commenting on the mass sharing of clips, .gifs, memes and other bs w/o any substance. 
    I don't take my information from a venture capital firm.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    bbiggs said:
    China is the 5th safest in the world.  Isn't that something.  This sure sounds like leading the safety category to me...

We should just avoid commenting on the mass sharing of clips, .gifs, memes and other bs w/o any substance. 

Good point. 
  • bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Good point. 

Almost all of them are disqualified on a basic scratch and sniff...just easier to let folks like SC live in this territory.  Makes him happy, which is fine.
    We still have Johan God to worship.  ;)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,510
    mace1229 said:
    CM189191 said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Bad boy Tegnell on Sweden keeping schools open:

- No large outbreaks have happened. 
    - The most spread is happening in the homes within families. So not that big risk of having teachers working - if not sick.
    - The spreading of the virus in schools that have occured is by teachers coming in with symptoms, and infecting others colleagues mainly - not kids. But not much of that has occured.
    - Kids might not show symptoms when sick. But there have not been any signs of kids spreading the disease in any large amount. 

What a fucking moron.
    "We can't tell if kids are sick, but we assume they aren't spreading it anyways."

Moronic.

I would think he (and his colleagues) is more educated in the field. than you are. So his statements should by that token be more educated also.

Thank you.
    You might have a point if he wasn't at odds with common sense and the consensus of the rest of the scientific community of the entire world lol
    So then, lets look at your point --

You are saying that Anthony Fauci and his Raspy Common Sense Rascals, if they came over here to Sweden would find

1) Huge outbreaks at schools, that has been somehow missed by the Swedish Public Health Agency?
    2) A huge problem with kids bringing corona back home from school completely vaporizing families and communities, that has been missed by the Swedish Public Health Agency?

Are you saying that the rest of the scientific community would find all of these cases, that's not been picked up by the PHA?

On a per capita basis, being 33 times smaller than the US, Sweden has the equivalent of nearly 400,000 cases. Does Sweden have the immigrant communities like we have in the US that enhances spread?
    Wait what?

Didn't realize we were blaming immigrants now...
    Not “blaming” them. But Even gov Cuomo said that’s why NYC spread so fast. Immigrant communities means more travel. More travel means faster spread. There’s nothing wrong with saying that.  That’s nothing against immigrants and immigrant communities. Just facts.

Actually, for those who paid attention to member number 6, who mentioned early on in this topic that it’s been really really bad in Elmhurst, just a few miles from his place of employment.

A little research tells us what would be so unique about Elmhurst? Is it like Sweden at all? Elmhurst happens to have the second largest “Chinatown” in Queens. Not NYC, but Queens alone. How many Chinatowns exist in NYC? How many Little Italys? Members of these communities travel internationally often. To and from the two countries that had large amount of infections early in this crisis. That’s just statement of fact.

That’s not blaming anyone. It’s trying to understand why the epicenter of this crisis is an hours drive from my hometown. NYC is the gateway to international travel and international immigrant communities in North America, if not the world. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,057
    edited April 2020
    More travel?

In Sweden they talk about it spreading faster in "immigrant communities" because of people living closer, people living more in one apartment, people living "over generations" in the same place (as they also do in Italy). And information not being available in their native language (maybe a smaller problem in the states than in the US) at the getg-o. But haven't heard about it being connected to them travelling more.

In Sweden the spread got in from THE EDUCATED SHITTY MIDDLECLASS HAVING TO GO TO ITALY TO SKI WHEN GRETA CLEARLY SAID WE SHOULD DROP THE FLYING. Seems the (fewer) cases from both China and Iran were easier to handle. At the beginning.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,282
    More travel?

In Sweden they talk about it spreading faster in "immigrant communities" because of people living closer, people living more in one apartment, people living "over generations" in the same place (as they also do in Italy). And information not being available in their native language (maybe a smaller problem in the states than in the US) at the getg-o. But haven't heard about it being connected to them travelling more.

In Sweden the spread got in from THE EDUCATED SHITTY MIDDLECLASS HAVING TO GO TO ITALY TO SKI WHEN GRETA CLEARLY SAID WE SHOULD DROP THE FLYING. Seems the (fewer) cases from both China and Iran were easier to handle. At the beginning.
    is this a joke? I can’t tell with you sometimes. And did you ever step outside with Vito?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,057
    nicknyr15 said:
    More travel?

is this a joke? I can’t tell with you sometimes. And did you ever step outside with Vito?
    He hasn't showed up yet.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    https://apnews.com/68a9e1b91de4ffc166acd6012d82c2f9

China didn’t warn public of likely pandemic for 6 key days

In the six days after top Chinese officials secretly determined they likely were facing a pandemic from a new coronavirus, the city of Wuhan at the epicenter of the disease hosted a mass banquet for tens of thousands of people; millions began traveling through for Lunar New Year celebrations.

President Xi Jinping warned the public on the seventh day, Jan. 20. But by that time, more than 3,000 people had been infected during almost a week of public silence, according to internal documents obtained by The Associated Press and expert estimates based on retrospective infection data.

Six days.

That delay from Jan. 14 to Jan. 20 was neither the first mistake made by Chinese officials at all levels in confronting the outbreak, nor the longest lag, as governments around the world have dragged their feet for weeks and even months in addressing the virus.

But the delay by the first country to face the new coronavirus came at a critical time — the beginning of the outbreak. China’s attempt to walk a line between alerting the public and avoiding panic set the stage for a pandemic that has infected almost 2 million people and taken more than 126,000 lives.

“This is tremendous,” said Zuo-Feng Zhang, an epidemiologist at the University of California, Los Angeles. “If they took action six days earlier, there would have been much fewer patients and medical facilities would have been sufficient. We might have avoided the collapse of Wuhan’s medical system.”

Other experts noted that the Chinese government may have waited on warning the public to stave off hysteria, and that it did act quickly in private during that time.

But the six-day delay by China’s leaders in Beijing came on top of almost two weeks during which the national Center for Disease Control did not register any cases from local officials, internal bulletins obtained by the AP confirm. Yet during that time, from Jan. 5 to Jan. 17, hundreds of patients were appearing in hospitals not just in Wuhan but across the country.

It’s uncertain whether it was local officials who failed to report cases or national officials who failed to record them. It’s also not clear exactly what officials knew at the time in Wuhan, which only opened back up last week with restrictions after its quarantine.

But what is clear, experts say, is that China’s rigid controls on information, bureaucratic hurdles and a reluctance to send bad news up the chain of command muffled early warnings. The punishment of eight doctors for “rumor-mongering,” broadcast on national television on Jan. 2, sent a chill through the city’s hospitals.

“Doctors in Wuhan were afraid,” said Dali Yang, a professor of Chinese politics at the University of Chicago. “It was truly intimidation of an entire profession.”

Without these internal reports, it took the first case outside China, in Thailand on Jan. 13, to galvanize leaders in Beijing into recognizing the possible pandemic before them. It was only then that they launched a nationwide plan to find cases — distributing CDC-sanctioned test kits, easing the criteria for confirming cases and ordering health officials to screen patients, all without telling the public.

article continues here https://apnews.com/68a9e1b91de4ffc166acd6012d82c2f9

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,253

How was this determined? If you look at deaths per capita were much lower. At fatality rate were much lower. Does this look at just total number of cases and that’s all? Because that doesn’t seem like a fair assessment if that’s the case.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,282
    nicknyr15 said:
    More travel?

He hasn't showed up yet.
    Keep me updated. It’ll be more interesting than the +, - song threads. 
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,129
    mcgruff10 said:
    https://apnews.com/68a9e1b91de4ffc166acd6012d82c2f9

China didn’t warn public of likely pandemic for 6 key days

In the six days after top Chinese officials secretly determined they likely were facing a pandemic from a new coronavirus, the city of Wuhan at the epicenter of the disease hosted a mass banquet for tens of thousands of people; millions began traveling through for Lunar New Year celebrations.

President Xi Jinping warned the public on the seventh day, Jan. 20. But by that time, more than 3,000 people had been infected during almost a week of public silence, according to internal documents obtained by The Associated Press and expert estimates based on retrospective infection data.

Six days.

That delay from Jan. 14 to Jan. 20 was neither the first mistake made by Chinese officials at all levels in confronting the outbreak, nor the longest lag, as governments around the world have dragged their feet for weeks and even months in addressing the virus.

But the delay by the first country to face the new coronavirus came at a critical time — the beginning of the outbreak. China’s attempt to walk a line between alerting the public and avoiding panic set the stage for a pandemic that has infected almost 2 million people and taken more than 126,000 lives.

“This is tremendous,” said Zuo-Feng Zhang, an epidemiologist at the University of California, Los Angeles. “If they took action six days earlier, there would have been much fewer patients and medical facilities would have been sufficient. We might have avoided the collapse of Wuhan’s medical system.”

Other experts noted that the Chinese government may have waited on warning the public to stave off hysteria, and that it did act quickly in private during that time.

But the six-day delay by China’s leaders in Beijing came on top of almost two weeks during which the national Center for Disease Control did not register any cases from local officials, internal bulletins obtained by the AP confirm. Yet during that time, from Jan. 5 to Jan. 17, hundreds of patients were appearing in hospitals not just in Wuhan but across the country.

It’s uncertain whether it was local officials who failed to report cases or national officials who failed to record them. It’s also not clear exactly what officials knew at the time in Wuhan, which only opened back up last week with restrictions after its quarantine.

But what is clear, experts say, is that China’s rigid controls on information, bureaucratic hurdles and a reluctance to send bad news up the chain of command muffled early warnings. The punishment of eight doctors for “rumor-mongering,” broadcast on national television on Jan. 2, sent a chill through the city’s hospitals.

“Doctors in Wuhan were afraid,” said Dali Yang, a professor of Chinese politics at the University of Chicago. “It was truly intimidation of an entire profession.”

Without these internal reports, it took the first case outside China, in Thailand on Jan. 13, to galvanize leaders in Beijing into recognizing the possible pandemic before them. It was only then that they launched a nationwide plan to find cases — distributing CDC-sanctioned test kits, easing the criteria for confirming cases and ordering health officials to screen patients, all without telling the public.

article continues here https://apnews.com/68a9e1b91de4ffc166acd6012d82c2f9

Yep totally unacceptable just like how long did it take for our Baffoon to act on all the warning signs, how many lives could of been saved here in America if our federal government had been proactive? I’m tired of talking about China they should be sanctioned from here to eternity! Can you live without Chinese made products? Can your students work from home with out Chinese products? I only care about how we move forward here with the new normal how ever that will look..

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,577
    Smellyman said:

My guess is that Fauci would LOVE to tell the world what he thinks of Trump but doesn't because it would cost him his job- an important one in thees time of COVID-19.  Trump should stay off the air and just let Fauci do the press conferences.  But, of course, that won't happen because Trump is the expert on everything!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Today is not a good day in this hospital ughh 😞
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,195
    Wait, what? Team Trump Treason stated just yesterday that the hospitals were doing fine? I don’t get it. What gives?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    edited April 2020
    Sorry to hear that. Keep your chin up Jose, what you're doing is admirable.
    Post edited by dignin on
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Social distancing works. Apparently some mouthbreathers are now questioning why this wasn't as bad as predicted in some areas. The answer is not that things were being exaggerated, but rather that our measures have been helpful in mitigating spread. University of Washington just released a  model that shows what happens when we visit "just one friend", and the negative impacts that can have in minimizing contact and spread.

UW team illustrates the adverse impact of visiting ‘just one friend’ during COVID-19 lockdown

None of this is any fun, but what we're doing appears to be helping.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:

My guess is that Fauci would LOVE to tell the world what he thinks of Trump but doesn't because it would cost him his job- an important one in thees time of COVID-19.  Trump should stay off the air and just let Fauci do the press conferences.  But, of course, that won't happen because Trump is the expert on everything!
    I disagree- I think he’d like to tell everyone how good trump has been on all of this and how shocked he is at the gall of the reporters/media during those press conferences every day. He’s seen how they spin things and ask those “gotcha” kind of questions all the time to try to “get” trump.  He shut down the idea that trump was trying g to silence him the other day- I’m sure he’s just sick of the attempts to spin hard work into a failure.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:

I disagree- I think he’d like to tell everyone how good trump has been on all of this and how shocked he is at the gall of the reporters/media during those press conferences every day. He’s seen how they spin things and ask those “gotcha” kind of questions all the time to try to “get” trump.  He shut down the idea that trump was trying g to silence him the other day- I’m sure he’s just sick of the attempts to spin hard work into a failure.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,424
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:

I think my favourite gotcha style questions the reporters ask is when they quote Trump word for word on a tweet or comment somewhere else and ask for more details in what he meant and he goes off on a tirade how the reporter will never make it and it was a nasty question. Then he does the right thing and goes on to another question without answering the first question since it was so nasty! 
    brianlux said:
    Smellyman said:

lol clueless over 26k dead as of today and he’s doing great man where are you living in a cave..
  • Mike D88Mike D88 Posts: 723
    edited April 2020
    How dare those reporters keep entrapping Trump with his own nasty words. Or throw him softballs so nasty he misses and hurls the bat at them.
    i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
    Wait, what? Team Trump Treason stated just yesterday that the hospitals were doing fine? I don’t get it. What gives?
    Now we’re onto the stage when patients that have been on ventilator for 8-10days are dying % are high on those, new admissions are slowing down but the death counts are not ! 
    dignin said:
    Sorry to hear that. Keep your chin up Jose, what your doing is admirable.
    Thanks I appreciate it , I’m here in the OR just supporting Anesthesia staff with PPE equipment, we are literally surrounded by Covid19 patients just about every floor is full..
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    dignin said:
    Thanks I appreciate it , I’m here in the OR just supporting Anesthesia staff with PPE equipment, we are literally surrounded by Covid19 patients just about every floor is full..
    Be safe, my friend. I hope your day starts to get better!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • KatKat Posts: 4,831
    Big hugs. I'm so sorry. Be safe and stay strong. Lots of positive thoughts going your way.

Falling down,...not staying down
    mfc2006 said:
    dignin said:
    Be safe, my friend. I hope your day starts to get better!
    Thanks I hope so , my son works here too he handles the crash carts that are used when a patient codes so I get worried about him today has been a terrible day for codes..
    Thanks folks kind words do help a ton! Right back at everyone of you , just have to keep on helping as much as I can..
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314
    jeffbr said:
    Social distancing works. Apparently some mouthbreathers are now questioning why this wasn't as bad as predicted in some areas. The answer is not that things were being exaggerated, but rather that our measures have been helpful in mitigating spread. University of Washington just released a  model that shows what happens when we visit "just one friend", and the negative impacts that can have in minimizing contact and spread.

UW team illustrates the adverse impact of visiting ‘just one friend’ during COVID-19 lockdown

None of this is any fun, but what we're doing appears to be helping.
    Send this to Dak Prescott.  He is now defending his "party" cause it was "less than 10" and it was a "dinner" not a party.  Man people are thick.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Now we’re onto the stage when patients that have been on ventilator for 8-10days are dying % are high on those, new admissions are slowing down but the death counts are not ! 
    Sending you virtual good vibes, Jose. With admissions slowing the codes will eventually slow but that doesn’t help much when you’re in the thick of it, I know. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
This discussion has been closed.