The coronavirus

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,055
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Let's emphasize a difference here, in e.g. Sweden (which people on here are  bagging on regarding the response to the virus) - the government is basing their decisions and acting on the expertise of the Public Health Authority -- the Swedish madman model of having experts lead the charge basing actions on science instead of politics and loons (Trump) unproven ideas (remember that both Denmark and Norway went against their experts advice on closing schools and borders). Whether better or not than throwing a dart at the wall in isolated instances, 97 times out a 100 bet on science. I say.

Jared Kushner has coordinated distribution of medical supplies with Republican donors: report

"When you ask about the inner circle, it is clear to me," Costa told MSNBC's "Morning Joe," "based on my reporting, that Peter Navarro, more than anyone now, whether it's on urging the president to take a position that's different than Dr. [Anthony] Fauci, or when it comes to the Defense Production Act, nudging corporations, sometimes pushing corporations to do what the White House wants, that Navarro is at the center."

"Jared Kushner is there and he's really being a liaison to different donors, to different corporate allies of this administration, which has created confusion about the chain of command, about whether corporations should work through Jared, whether they should work through Vice President [Mike] Pence and the task force," he added.

Navarro and other Trump advisers, including Rudy Giuliani, have been overriding medical experts on the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine against the coronavirus, and Costa said the president's confidence in that unproven drug was not matched by science.

https://www.salon.com/2020/04/06/jared-kushner-has-coordinated-distribution-of-medical-supplies-with-republican-donors-report_partner/
    Kushner, Trump, Navarro, Giuliani...all massively corrupt morons.

The fact remains, social distancing to flatten the curve IS the advice of the vast majority of experts around the world.  Sweden is an outlier, not because it listens to it's experts more, but because it's experts are offering very different opinions from the majority.
    The "we listen to our experts, not political pressure" line is just marketing spin.  
    Sweden is advising social distancing. I don't know where you are getting your information from.
    I guess I need to clarify, social distancing for all ages.  
    I would also point out that where many countries have closed non-essential businesses like pubs, they don't have soldiers in the streets for enforcement, like you keep implying.
    They are advising on social distancing for all ages.

I am not implying countries are having soldiers in the streets for enforcement.
    You keep mentioning it as the alternative to Sweden's current path, as though there is no middle ground, wherein businesses are asked to close without forceful intervention.

You can't "advise social distancing" to little kids, they aren't capable of complying.  That's why schools get closed, because the little booger goblins share chapstick and wipe their noses with their palms and cough/sneeze/vomit/fart/burp at will without attempt to isolate or contain.
    simpke really. l
    How is it "simple really" when we are all collectively in the middle of it, no expert (you are not one, sorry bud) says it's "simple really", you do not take into account where in the process countries are, the differences in countries, and you to my knowledge can not stand and look back and see the end result.

"simple really"

Speaking like Trump the expert. Go join one of his fantastic press briefings .
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    Dr. Fauci praises Iowa and Nebraska's efforts. As we were discussing earlier, a state doesn't need a "stay-at-home order" to be functionally enacting the same precautions. 

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2020/04/06/coronavirus-iowa-reynolds-says-she-spoke-dr-fauci-phone/2955911001/
    bbiggs said:
    There are reports of the virus damaging not only the lungs, but the heart muscle as well. 

My 83 year old cousin just succumbed to this in that way.  His heart just stopped beating.
    We are still getting details but from what we know he was sick for a week and his heart just stopped.  He did have Covid.
    Jesus, man. Sorry to hear that. 
    edited April 2020
    pjl44 said:
    rgambs said:
    Who would have expected the Swede to be coming forward with the Libertarian argument lol 
    Good luck to you and all of Sweden!
    He really is. I hope that they turn out right even though I'm skeptical. We truly are all libertarians in a pandemic!
    Social democracy = freedom 

Libertarianism = pointless to even put thought into. Whether in a pandemic or not.

join us! :) 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    pjl44 said:
    Dr. Fauci praises Iowa and Nebraska's efforts. As we were discussing earlier, a state doesn't need a "stay-at-home order" to be functionally enacting the same precautions. 

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/politics/2020/04/06/coronavirus-iowa-reynolds-says-she-spoke-dr-fauci-phone/2955911001/
    There isn’t a stay at home order but most businesses and schools are closed; where are people going to go?  New Jersey is pretty much locked down but essential businesses are still open.  Oh and for the most part parks too    I haven’t read of anyone getting a fine for leaving their house.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjl44 said:

There isn’t a stay at home order but most businesses and schools are closed; where are people going to go?  New Jersey is pretty much locked down but essential businesses are still open.  Oh and for the most part parks too    I haven’t read of anyone getting a fine for leaving their house.  
    Exactly. I think most states are operating this way with some slight variance. My post is in reaction to a poorly written story about 8 Republican governors not issuing said order without explaining that their states were taking all the same measures regardless. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjl44 said:

They also don't have nearly as many people as NY, LA, New Orleans, etc. Trump has praised certain states in the middle of the country saying that everyone should be doing what they're doing, but the fact of the matter is that most of those states are rural. Not as many people or hospitals there. It makes perfect sense that the virus starts on the coasts (East, West, Gulf) and moves inland. Our cases continue to rise here in MO.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    I am thankful that our mayor (and the mayor of STL) took it upon themselves to issue an order. The governor didn't do it until just a few days ago. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    bbiggs said:
    There are reports of the virus damaging not only the lungs, but the heart muscle as well. 

My 83 year old cousin just succumbed to this in that way.  His heart just stopped beating.
    We are still getting details but from what we know he was sick for a week and his heart just stopped.  He did have Covid.
    Terrible news, Chris.  I'm sorry for your loss. 

pjl44 said:
    rgambs said:
    Who would have expected the Swede to be coming forward with the Libertarian argument lol 
    Good luck to you and all of Sweden!
    He really is. I hope that they turn out right even though I'm skeptical. We truly are all libertarians in a pandemic!
    Social democracy = freedom 

Libertarianism = pointless to even put thought into. Whether in a pandemic or not.

join us! :) 
    There would be major issues we disagree on, but I generally find more areas of agreement with social democrats vs. more centrist democrats. At least as we use the terms in the US. So we'll probably remain in different corners but there's stuff we can team up on.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,616
    pjl44 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjl44 said:

Exactly. I think most states are operating this way with some slight variance. My post is in reaction to a poorly written story about 8 Republican governors not issuing said order without explaining that their states were taking all the same measures regardless. 
      politicalploy. you saw how Abbott in Tx was falling over himself to not say stay at home...... yet, thats what is happening... except for the religious hubris being displayed everywhere...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mfc2006 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjl44 said:

They also don't have nearly as many people as NY, LA, New Orleans, etc. Trump has praised certain states in the middle of the country saying that everyone should be doing what they're doing, but the fact of the matter is that most of those states are rural. Not as many people or hospitals there. It makes perfect sense that the virus starts on the coasts (East, West, Gulf) and moves inland. Our cases continue to rise here in MO.
    Totally agree.  I've read that wyoming hasn't enacted any sort of stay at home order but have you been to wyoming?!  With the exception of jackson hole and cheyenne there isn't much in terms of big towns.  I remember driving through that state and we'd pass towns with population of 5 and 10 people.  Drive 35 miles of nothing then another town of 20 people.
    mcgruff10 said:
    mfc2006 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjl44 said:

Totally agree.  I've read that wyoming hasn't enacted any sort of stay at home order but have you been to wyoming?!  With the exception of jackson hole and cheyenne there isn't much in terms of big towns.  I remember driving through that state and we'd pass towns with population of 5 and 10 people.  Drive 35 miles of nothing then another town of 20 people.
    Yup. He used it as part of his narrative that it was "no big deal" or "wouldn't get that bad." When any idiot with half a brain could explain why the middle of country hadn't seen a rise in cases yet. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,126
    bbiggs said:

My condolences bro sorry to hear this terrible news, stay safe..

jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,022
    bbiggs said:

Sorry to hear about this. 
    https://twitter.com/essenviews/status/1247222623844458499?s=21
    Man people are this stupid please everyone just listen to professionals not the Baffoon not Pence, I’m here in hospital working this hospital has over 600 Covid patients and even though it’s nerve racking to say the least I’m glad I can get some really good information I trust nurses & doctors!!
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Fingers crossed and holding our breath, but BC seems to be flattening the curve, due to a combination of luck and good leadership from our medical health officer. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-ontario-quebec-covid-19-1.5524056

Luck and timing is part of the equation — but leadership at the top could also play a role

Justin McElroy · CBC News · Posted: Apr 06, 2020 6:05 PM PT | Last Updated: an hour ago
    Confirmed cases of COVID-19 in British Columbia have increased at a slow rate over the past two weeks, but have gone up dramatically in Quebec and Ontario. (Justin McElroy/CBC News)
    comments

The COVID-19 outbreak is currently more severe in Canada's two largest provinces than it is in British Columbia. 

That's not opinion; it's fact.

Whether you go by confirmed cases or hospitalizations, by raw numbers or a per capita comparison, the virus has steadily grown in Ontario and Quebec

But in B.C., hospitalizations and active cases have been flat for the last week. The disease growth curve, at least at this point, has been flattened.

So, what's the explanation?

"It's very hard to know exactly why," said B.C.'s chief medical health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, when asked about the difference on Monday. "Some parts of it are luck, and some parts of it are being prepared."

It's undoubtedly true that B.C. was able to learn from having a few isolated cases in January and February. It's also true the province has been lucky not to have a viral "super-spreader," as has been the case in other places. 

However, there's a little bit more to it than that. 

Preparation, preparation, preparation 

Dr. David Fisman, an epidemiology professor at the University of Toronto, said British Columbia's institutions for disease control have long been a model for the rest of the country. 

"You've got a functioning public health system, with integration of lab and epidemiology and service in British Columbia," he said. "Here in Ontario, we have had difficulties with public health leadership culture for a long time." 

Fisman says B.C. was able to, as Henry put it, "take a lot of measures early" because they had the lines of communication to quickly scale up a unified response relatively early. 

It meant a unified response and messaging to the public were underway before COVID-19 was on the radar for many politicians.

Whereas in Ontario, it took a little longer for everyone to get on the same page. 

Ontario Premier Doug Ford "has actually stepped up as a leader," said Fisman. "[But] one has to realize Doug Ford's not a public health physician. He's not a microbiologist, and he's not an epidemiologist. So, he's very much dependent on the advice he's given."

Timing of spring break

One way that played out was over spring break. 

On March 12, B.C. recommended against all non-essential travel outside of Canada, while Ford told families to "go away" and "have fun" during the week-long holiday. 

"You could see this coming," said Fisman. "There was talk in the epidemiology field that we really can't have a million people return to Ontario from places with unfettered COVID transmission. It's gonna be a very bad thing for us, but we didn't use that opportunity."

At the same time, British Columbia was fortunate that the scheduled spring break for students was later than in other jurisdictions — allowing health officials to adapt. 

"We learned from Quebec," said Henry. 

"Their March break was two weeks earlier than ours, and people were coming back … from places like France, and coming home from March break and getting sick." 

Fisman also credited B.C. for putting in an early measure to stop health-care workers from working at multiple care homes, which was a big factor in preventing community transmission.

But ultimately he believes a big part of B.C.'s fortune comes from the person who speaks to British Columbians at every news conference.

"Bonnie Henry stays at press conferences and answers the questions … and doesn't shade the truth. She's frank and honest and emotional with people," he said.

"And given that part of this response depends on being altruistic and doing the right thing to help other people who we will never meet, having a leader who can articulate how we're all in this together and make a convincing case for why you need to do your part … is very important."

Playing 'the hand we're dealt'

Henry's direct experience in overseeing Toronto's SARS and H1N1 outbreaks is the type of background that's impossible to quantify in a situation like this. Henry herself doesn't mention it at news conferences.

"Part of [curve-flattening] was the system we had in place to detect cases … and part of it was luck, and part of it was timing," she said.

But Fisman believes Henry's experience has been crucial. 

"We all play the hand we're dealt. [British Columbia] has played the hand they've been dealt very, very well. And you can see it in the numbers," he said.

"Ontario has played the hand that it's dealt in a way that is not the United States … but I think Ontario is lagging."

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited April 2020
    @oftenreading did BC schools open after spring break?
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,423
    Is it just me or are a lot of countries in Europe and Canada/US hitting their apex much sooner than predicted? We need a couple of more days of data and need to get past the weekend numbers but we are not seeing the huge spikes of deaths so far as previously thought. Fingers crossed. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    @oftenreading did BC schools open after spring break?

Only "open" for remote education, which both of my nephews are doing (K and Gr. 7).

Also, each family was given a specific time to go to the school to pick up students' belongings.
  • Ray J. T. said:
    bbiggs said:

Sorry to hear about this. 
    me too. i am so sorry T&G.

A friend of mine in England lost his father to covid last weekend,
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    Nearly four weeks later my old neighbor is finally breathing on his own.  Small improvements.  How do you tell someone who has been in a coma for four weeks that your three siblings and mom all died? Could the stress from this news actually kill him ?
    mcgruff10 said:
    Nearly four weeks later my old neighbor is finally breathing on his own.  Small improvements.  How do you tell someone who has been in a coma for four weeks that your three siblings and mom all died? Could the stress from this news actually kill him ?

Best of luck to him, and to everyone who is dealing with the loss of family or friends or others who are important to them. It's impossible not to worry that we'll all be in that boat at some point. 
    I know there has been some info posted about the American personal payment, whatever that program is called, but I don't think we've posted about Canada's CERB, applications for which opened yesterday. I know someone who applied and indeed it apparently is as easy as the story below says - less than 5 minutes, and the website didn't freeze. The proof will come when the money arrives, though, and many are waiting to see what/if is done for seasonal workers.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/coronavirus-covid-19-cerb-aid-federal-bc-1.5524183

Federal COVID-19 benefit a blessing to many, but critics say some falling through the cracks

Liam Britten · CBC News · Posted: Apr 06, 2020 7:38 PM PT | Last Updated: 11 hours ago

Since Monday morning, over half a million Canadians facing unemployment due to the coronavirus pandemic have applied for a new federal aid program.

The Canada emergency response benefit (CERB) offers $2,000 per month for up to four months to people left unemployed by the crisis.

Keisha Cleaver of Vancouver applied online for the benefit first thing in the morning and said it took her only a few clicks.

"It said we will send you $2,000 in three to five days," Cleaver said. "That was it. I took a picture of the screen because I couldn't believe that was it."

Keshia Cleaver spent the past year on maternity leave after giving birth to Barlow. That left her family's financial situation in a challenging position even before the coronavirus emergency began. (Maggie MacPherson/CBC)

Cleaver said getting the money is "huge." She and her partner pay almost half their income as rent. She was on maternity leave for the past year and had just returned to work, starting a new job as a server.

Without the CERB money, she said, the family was planning to live in a trailer on her father's property on Vancouver Island.

In B.C., there are plenty of happy applicants but also concerns some people are still falling through the cracks.

Without the money from CERB, Cleaver said, she, her son Barlow and partner were likely going to leave Vancouver to live on her father's property on Vancouver Island. (Maggie MacPherson/CBC)

'People are really confused'

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said there would be adjustments coming to CERB for those who are still employed but are making less than they normally would because of the crisis as well as for gig workers, contractors and other types of workers.

B.C. Federation of Students chairperson Tanysha Klassen says those changes can't come soon enough for some workers, including some post-secondary students she represents.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has acknowledged the CERB program is not helping all Canadians, including students, and said more relief will be announced. (Justin Tang/Canadian Press)

Some students work only in the summer and would not have accrued enough hours or income last year to qualify. Others are facing the problem of their summer jobs simply not existing in 2020.

"People are really confused … about what we qualify and what we don't qualify for," Klassen said, adding her group is waiting "excitedly" for updates to help students.

Taylor Bachrach, NDP MP for Skeena-Bulkley Valley in northwestern B.C., said he has been hearing from constituents who don't qualify, like seasonal commercial fishermen.

Bachrach and the NDP are advocating for an approach based on the idea of universal basic income. Pay every adult Canadian $2,000 now, Bachrach explained, and then claw the money back from people who don't need it at tax time.

"Our feeling is there might be a better approach," Bachrach said. "We need to get help to the people who need it and we need to do that as quickly as possible."

Linda Winterton is pictured in her Pilates studio in North Vancouver. She thinks she may have to close the studio as a result of the pandemic. (Maggie MacPherson/CBC)

Hope today

The office of Employment Minister Carla Qualtrough said 642,000 Canadians had applied for CERB by late Monday afternoon.

This brings the total number of applications for Employment Insurance and CERB to 3.18 million since March 15.

Linda Winteron of North Vancouver said she's glad she was able to qualify for CERB today but is worried about tomorrow.

She has been a self-employed Pilates instructor for 21 years. The money she gets for CERB will help with groceries and her mortgage but won't leave her enough to pay for her commercial lease on May 1.

"I can't start a new business at 57," Winteron said. "This might be the end for me."

A bigger help for her, she said, would be a freeze on commercial evictions during the crisis as is being done for residential tenants in B.C.

mcgruff10 said:

Glad he's doing better. That news will be tough for him to hear...ugh.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    edited April 2020
    nvm.

Posted in lounge
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    RideRick said:
    static111 said:
    don't make a Brexit joke...don't make a Brexit joke...don't make a brexit joke....Pheewwwwww 
    Well... Boris is not shaking any hands now is he..  

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2020/mar/27/i-shook-hands-with-everybody-says-boris-johnson-weeks-before-coronavirus-diagnosis-video
    Looks like he might get his very own Brexit after all.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    The next time someone moans about Republicans being uniquely heartless, remember all the ghouls that come out to mock Boris Johnson, Rand Paul, etc. when they fall ill.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    pjl44 said:
    The next time someone moans about Republicans being uniquely heartless, remember all the ghouls that come out to mock Boris Johnson, Rand Paul, etc. when they fall ill.
    Don't forget Rush Limbaugh.  Maybe compassion is conditional.

pjl44 said:
    Who here has mocked either I know some including myself have said karma is a bitch but anything more than that I haven’t seen it ..Republicans are heartless though see kids in cages and standing by a total idiot peice of shit human while thousands have died..
This discussion has been closed.