The coronavirus

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,569
    DewieCox said:
    Wild, had no idea a train could be driven off the tracks like that. Always assumed it took some other extraordinary force.

I happens all the time here, Dewie.  :wink: 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Damn.  This thread has gone sideways.  I'm personally going to step aside for a while to let everyone discuss Trump, both sides, etc.  Be safe and healthy, everyone!
    My big decision right now is to where to order take out from Saturday night.  What about you?  
    Oh very big news: we have really weird alcohol laws in NJ; the governor just relaxed the laws and breweries can now make home deliveries! 
    Hope your wives former neighbors are doing better and glad you saw your son.  
    PA resumes delivering alcohol again, can order up to six bottles. System crashed or something like that. 
    I'm not a big drinker but I put ice in my wine too.
    Be safe everyone
    Thanks bud!  Neighbor is still critical but stable and in a medically induced coma. He is showing slight improvement.  Hopefully he comes home soon.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053
    edited April 2020
    The deadly Ebola virus had spread in the area around the city of Kikwit. And when an infected patient was operated on Hospital general reference de Kikwit, it led to an explosive spread within the hospital. A large number of patients were infected and died. Of the hospital's 200 employees, 50 nursing staff died in ebola fever.
    When the swedish trio arrived in Central Africa, the staff had fled the hospital.The patients were left alone in their beds.
    Doctors without borders had to arrive and try to save the health care.
    - It was terrible, says Bo Niklasson, who had to go into the hospital in what he describes as a "space suit".

One of the first things Anders Tegnell, Bo Niklasson and Håkan Eriksson did was to order bicycles.Nobody understood why.
    But two Hercules planes flew down 200 bicycles from Sweden, along with important medical equipment.
    - The Fire and Rescue Service asked if they had read the order correctly, says Bo Niklasson. But it turned out that the way to fight the Ebola epidemic was to inform the villagers how to act to avoid infection, and the task was given to medical candidates. To get to the villages they needed a bicycle and getting to keep the bicycle became their salary. 

State epidemiologist Anders Tegnell compares the discussion of the bicycles with the criticism today against the Swedish Public Health Agency advocating methods different from neighboring countries.
    - It is part of it all to convince people that there are different ways of doing things, he says looking serious.

During the Ebola outbreak in Zaire, Tegnell also learned the hard way how rushed epidemiological decisions can lead to dramatic negative consequences. Since the spread of infection in Zaire had exploded in connection with an operation, the authorities had made a decision that no one was to be operated on. People died needlessly.
    - There were patients who could be operated and rescued without risk, says Bo Niklasson. But they did not, they let them die, because of the ban. It was very tragic. There we shared horrible experiences. People had expectations that we would do something, but we felt locked in these decisions and none of us protested. It was probably the scariest thing.

Anders Tegnell draws parallels to today's corona outbreak in Sweden.
    - Closing schools is a typical example of this thinking. It's easy to say and relatively easy to do, but the consequences will be huge. Among other things, a lot of staff from the health care will disappear, which means that people sick with Corona will get worse care and the public health in Sweden will be worse. It is important to think a few more steps and not just rush off and do the convenient things.
    Because people can die?
    - Yes, it has been proven repeatedly. In West Africa, more people died from other diseases, due to lack of health care, than those who died in Ebola. Even in Congo, most recently, more children died in measles than in Ebola, says Anders Tegnell.

At the time of this interview, both British Channel 4 and French media are here to ask Tegnell about Sweden's decision to choose voluntary measures over forced ones. Foreign media and Norwegian researchers question Sweden's actions. Professor and infection protection physician Bjørg Marit Andersen has stated in Aftonbladet that Sweden goes against the Nordic experience of using isolation and quarantine to protect itself against infections.
    Tegnell thinks it is important to explain the Swedish line for foreign media.
    - There is research that show that effective cultures are based on trust and reliability. Then you do not need laws and instead can work quickly, says Tegnell.
    - Take measles vaccination. Voluntarily Sweden reach 98 percent. In Italy, they use force and reach only 70 percent.

The professor believes that the experiences during the Ebola outbreak, the deaths they were forced to experience, make Anders Tegnell better equipped for today's corona crisis.
    "It characterizes you," he says. It is a very important experience to work in epidemics and see how people work and how events work. Having made that work is extremely important and educational. It is good that we have a state epidemiologist who participated in it.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,125
    Anesthesia Code blue 9monti, Anesthesia Code blue 3cohen , anesthesia code blue ER on & on, these are codes the get called when a Covid19 patient is coding they started last week and since they have scalated in frequency yesterday I heard 10 or maybe more! I’m sure it’s going to get a lot worse 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • jeffbrjeffbr Posts: 7,177
    Anesthesia Code blue 9monti, Anesthesia Code blue 3cohen , anesthesia code blue ER on & on, these are codes the get called when a Covid19 patient is coding they started last week and since they have scalated in frequency yesterday I heard 10 or maybe more! I’m sure it’s going to get a lot worse 
    Heartbreaking and tragic. Stay safe, Jose.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    Terrible.   Just awful.  Be safe and stay healthy bud. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    Be safe, Jose. Damn
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,798
    edited April 2020
    I am a resident podiatrist.  Many of my colleagues at other hospitals are being “pulled” to work inpatient floors.  As a podiatrist, I can promise we are not trained as well as we should be to perform some of these tasks.

STAY HOME unless you want a fresh out of school foot doctor managing your heart and lungs
    Post edited by Weston1283 on
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,613

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    I am a resident podiatrist.  Many of my colleagues at other hospitals are being “pulled” to work inpatient floors.  As a podiatrist, I can promise we are not trained as well as we should be to perform some of these tasks.

STAY HOME unless you want a fresh out of school foot doctor managing your heart and lungs
    Stay safe & thanks for your services 🙏
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,268
    edited April 2020
    It is hard enough worrying about it, I couldn’t imagine facing the stark reality on a daily basis. Stay safe, and thank you.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386
    Jose and Weston, you guys are my hero for showing up in the high risk areas to help others. I feel ashamed to worry about my next trip to the grocery store, when you, Jose, are considering the real possibility that Gigaton may be the last album you hear.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    I don't think I've read here about the 7:00 cheer for health care workers. I know it's been happening in different countries around the world - is it happening in your city?

Here on the west coast I hear people cheering and clapping and banging pots and pans every night at 7:00 in a "virtual hug" for front line health care workers, and I know it is appreciated. Even in the past week it has grown. 

https://www.vicnews.com/news/greater-victoria-residents-roar-in-thanks-to-frontline-workers/

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-landmarks-lights-horns-coronavirus
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    They do not do the 7 o’clock around here that I’m aware of.  I do appreciate all front line health care workers, I also appreciate all us that have been declared essential and are keep the supply chain open...

the prime minister of canada showed me his appreciation...yup he added 5 cents a litre on gas and give himself advice all MPS a raise in the middle of a health and economic crisis...can’t make this shit up. 

Give Peas A Chance…
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,831
    Just ordered a months worth of underwear and socks.  Not using the shared laundry room in my building.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,508
    edited April 2020
    Good grief, imagine if this crisis happened on Obama’s watch. The gop would be out for Blood. 
    Fuckin' circus 
    Stab it down one way needle 
    Pulled so slowly 
    Drains and spills, soaks the pages fills their sponges

It just gets worse and worse...

CNN)Dr. Deborah Birx said that the White House coronavirus task force is missing 50% of the data forcoronavirus tests that have been conducted.

Birx, one of the top officials on the White House's coronavirus task force, said Thursday that part of the $2 trillion economic stimulus measure that was signed into law by President Donald Trump requires that all tests conducted get reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But Birx says she has not received that data yet.
    "Well, I'm telling you, I'm still missing 50% of the data from reporting," she said. "I have 660 (thousand) tests reported in. We've done 1.3 million. ... So, we do need to see -- the bill said you need to report. We are still not receiving 100% of the tests." 
    When pressed about the possibility that 1 in 3 tests had produced false negatives, Birx said, "I haven't seen that kind of anomaly."
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,613

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Good grief, imagine if this crisis happened on Obama’s watch. The gop would be out for Blood. 
    Fuckin' circus 
    Stab it down one way needle 
    Pulled so slowly 
    Drains and spills, soaks the pages fills their sponges

It just gets worse and worse...

CNN)Dr. Deborah Birx said that the White House coronavirus task force is missing 50% of the data forcoronavirus tests that have been conducted.

Birx, one of the top officials on the White House's coronavirus task force, said Thursday that part of the $2 trillion economic stimulus measure that was signed into law by President Donald Trump requires that all tests conducted get reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. But Birx says she has not received that data yet.
    "Well, I'm telling you, I'm still missing 50% of the data from reporting," she said. "I have 660 (thousand) tests reported in. We've done 1.3 million. ... So, we do need to see -- the bill said you need to report. We are still not receiving 100% of the tests." 
    When pressed about the possibility that 1 in 3 tests had produced false negatives, Birx said, "I haven't seen that kind of anomaly."

We know this to be true...

Been posted before.

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,639
    I don't think I've read here about the 7:00 cheer for health care workers. I know it's been happening in different countries around the world - is it happening in your city?

Here on the west coast I hear people cheering and clapping and banging pots and pans every night at 7:00 in a "virtual hug" for front line health care workers, and I know it is appreciated. Even in the past week it has grown. 

https://www.vicnews.com/news/greater-victoria-residents-roar-in-thanks-to-frontline-workers/

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vancouver-landmarks-lights-horns-coronavirus
    They have been doing it in my neighborhood in NYC every night at 7:00pm. Cheering and clapping. Those lucky ones with balconies are out there (I am not one of them). But I have been clapping out my window. Maybe I will try to go on the fire escape next time. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    mickeyrat said:

On behalf of the State of MN, fuck you Jared. You sir, are an ignorant jackass. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • RideRickRideRick Posts: 703

| Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,170
    OK back on topic!

Florida last night finally envoked the "stay at home " policy.
    https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local/2020/04/01/coronavirus-florida-governor-issues-statewide-30-day-stay-at-home-order/

Hooray for them.  Make sure you vote that guy out of office after all this settles please.

I know 2 Floridians posted on here and they've been doing their part so I salute you.  The Governor though?  Nah man.
    Our governor seems to have been born out of Trump's ass. What the hell was he waiting for, does he not realize we are in a serious crisis situation. 

Florida has the nation's oldest population with many who are here who also live somewhere else. Shut the effing state down and limit the citizens movement.

To me the way he has been running this crisis it feels like FL is a penis left out in hurricane winds to defend itself.

Now watch me get pulled over Friday night on my way to work after curfew even though I'm deemed essential.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,170

LOL, that's sickenly cool.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• benjsbenjs Posts: 9,096
    mickeyrat said:

What a moron. The nature of a stockpile is that you have stock to distribute in advance of the need. It’s not a stockpile when it comes too late and isn’t enough for demand - it’s shitty just-in-time delivery.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659
    mickeyrat said:

This A$$HOLE is one of the primary reasons the virus was not dealt with sooner.
    F@#k him
    F@#k his boss
    And f@#k all their supporters/voters
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,279
    mickeyrat said:

What a fuckin idiot. How can he actually say that out loud? 
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,999
    Jose & Weston, & any others on the frontlines. 

Thank you, be safe. 
    A Crisis agreement is activated in region Stockholm, intensive care workers are now forced to work 48 hours per week (instead of the normal 40).
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited April 2020
    McDonalds Sweden and other Hotels and resturants in Stockholm are giving their employees crash course health care education, to lend their employees to hospitals. 

Next week, the plan is to open up so that hundreds of people from more hotels and restaurants will attend the training. They should be able to get jobs in the care of the City of Stockholm and in the long term also other municipalities in the region.

- Now we all need to be helped to make a social contribution. We live and work in Stockholm and have a huge resource in our talented employees, for us it is important to join in and support this initiative with what we can, ”says Erik Hellman, who is the operations manager for several McDonald's restaurants in Stockholm in a statement.

The training is led by nurses, and will be about care in a crisis situation with, among other things, hygiene routines, secrecy and care at the end of life.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/navy-expected-relieve-captain-who-raised-alarm-about-covid-19-n1175351
    You can’t convince me that this administration didn’t pressure navy’s brass to do this, we are living in a dictatorship it will only get worse! 
This discussion has been closed.