The coronavirus

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    DewieCox said:
    It’s not. Wake up. I wasn’t referring to the link. I was referring to the post. It’s not just this situation. It’s years and years of back and forth that has poisoned one side against the other. When somebody fucks up, call them on it. This attitude that Democrats are somehow morally superior or have the road  map to utopia is idiotic. 
    Don’t bother. For me, anyone that looks at either side and thinks everything is right or perfect from top to bottom, is probably insane. If you don’t disagree with anything on the side you lean towards, then that’s a huge problem. 
    There is a world of difference between “don’t disagree with anything on the side you lean toward” and what people are actually saying on here, though. 
    Not really. Most people here talk down to anyone who they assume support Trump just because they question certain things. I’ve never seen or heard any complaint here about anything on the left. Well, except all the venomous posts that got the debate thread shut down. 
    You seem to have been posting on AMT for a couple of weeks now. What standing do you think you have to make comments about what you’ve “seen and heard” from posters who have been posting here for five years, ten years or more? You know less than you think you do. 
    More condescending remarks. I can only comment on what I’ve seen. I guess I have to read back 10 years of threads to be able to post my opinion here. What a ridiculous attitude. 

Condescending is assuming you know what people have always posted when you don't have that information. 

And to make it perfectly clear, just so that you can't misinterpret it again - I am not saying you can't post your own opinion, but you shouldn't claim it is fact when you don't actually have the facts.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Yeah that governor is a fucking idiot of the highest order.  He only is doing it because the asswipe in Chief (who isn't to blame, there are two sides lol) changed his tone
    Also, the fool said that the virus was around during super bowl in his state

People like this are baffling.  What idiots support them?

Way to go Governor.

NY and NJ governors doing a good job fighting this absent any leadership from the feds.  

Gotta keep fighting 
    So many deaths and it is going to increase.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    mfc2006 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    DewieCox said:
    It’s not. Wake up. I wasn’t referring to the link. I was referring to the post. It’s not just this situation. It’s years and years of back and forth that has poisoned one side against the other. When somebody fucks up, call them on it. This attitude that Democrats are somehow morally superior or have the road  map to utopia is idiotic. 
    Don’t bother. For me, anyone that looks at either side and thinks everything is right or perfect from top to bottom, is probably insane. If you don’t disagree with anything on the side you lean towards, then that’s a huge problem. 
    There is a world of difference between “don’t disagree with anything on the side you lean toward” and what people are actually saying on here, though. 
    Not really. Most people here talk down to anyone who they assume support Trump just because they question certain things. I’ve never seen or heard any complaint here about anything on the left. Well, except all the venomous posts that got the debate thread shut down. 
    You seem to have been posting on AMT for a couple of weeks now. What standing do you think you have to make comments about what you’ve “seen and heard” from posters who have been posting here for five years, ten years or more? You know less than you think you do. 
    Was this really necessary? Are you the board police? Come on, man. 

I'm not saying that people can't comment - I think everyone has misread that. Sorry if i didn't express it well.

I'm saying that if someone has only been reading what people have posted the last couple of weeks, then they shouldn't be making a judgement of what posters "always" say, because it's not accurate. People complaining that posters never say anything negative about Dems based on reading two weeks of posts about the current situation is ridiculous. 
    You have nothing to apologize for, your point was clear.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,002
    Yeah that governor is a fucking idiot of the highest order.  He only is doing it because the asswipe in Chief (who isn't to blame, there are two sides lol) changed his tone

Way to go Governor.

NY and NJ governors doing a good job fighting this absent any leadership from the feds.  

Gotta keep fighting 

Deblasio is an ass.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    Yeah that governor is a fucking idiot of the highest order.  He only is doing it because the asswipe in Chief (who isn't to blame, there are two sides lol) changed his tone

Way to go Governor.

Gotta keep fighting 

Deblasio is an ass.
    Agree.  Cuomo is the man.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    So, anyone that has been screaming that what has been going on in Italy is because of "socialized medicine" please read this from the land of the home and the free...
    https://nypost.com/2020/04/02/coronavirus-nyc-emts-stop-taking-cardiac-arrest-patients-to-hospitals/
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10 said:

Way to go Governor.

Gotta keep fighting 

Deblasio is an ass.
    Murphy is doing his thing as well.
    He's not the camera politician Cuomo clearly is but I think he is providing solid leadership and is front and center in (smart) efforts to help and prepare for the shitstorm that is coming.
    mcgruff10 said:

Way to go Governor.

Gotta keep fighting 

Deblasio is an ass.
    Murphy is doing his thing as well.
    He's not the camera politician Cuomo clearly is but I think he is providing solid leadership and is front and center in (smart) efforts to help and prepare for the shitstorm that is coming.
    Definitely agree, Murphy is doing an outstanding job during this crisis. He keeps saying mid-May...ugh.  I think I'll be remote teaching for a while.   
    rgambs said:
    Thank you for giving us this day our daily Giesecke.

In the Czech Republic, without face protection outside the house you pay equivalent to SEK 3600 in fines. Other countries such as Austria, Slovakia and Bosnia-Herzegovina have introduced different rules on mandatory face protection, reports TT.

- It is completely unproven that it has any effect, says Johan Giesecke, former state epidemiologist and now adviser to the WHO on infection prevention issues, to TT.

/.../

Instead, the new face protection decisions symbolize that the governments that have introduced them want to show that they are taking action, Giesecke says, and see them as part of a trend in Europe.

- Every country in Europe is currently taking a lot of measures for which there is no scientific basis whatsoever. It's no wonder they come up with something new once again, he tells TT.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Yeah there is no way anything returns to normal before next school year.  
    Hopefully we can make it so the rules can change and we can safely move about in whatever our new normal is but the deal with the overload of sick people is not stopping anytime soon.

There might not be any normal as we know it - I guess the new normal would be the case until a vaccine is in place.
    mcgruff10 said:

Way to go Governor.

Gotta keep fighting 

Deblasio is an ass.
     I love the Cuomo who went on TV and yelled at Trump, the Cuomo who wrote an op-ed in the New York Times demanding more hospital beds and medical supplies from the federal government. That was great. That’s what leadership looks like.” Well, if you’re curious why New York will soon run out of hospital beds, it’s not solely because of the huge number of COVID-19 victims. It’s also because Cuomo has been closing down hospital space for years via his Berger Commission, which has sought efficiency in the name of “budget cuts and insurance overhauls.” This Cuomo-appointed panel just decided to cut Medicaid even further, including specific cuts to city hospitals. They didn’t arrive at this decision pre-crisis, but literally last Thursday. It would have been evil at any time, but now, as a highly contagious virus cripples the city, it’s unconscionable.

/.../

Cuomo is “probably the single most important person in terms of the drive to close down hospital beds in this state over the last 20 years,” said Sean Petty of the New York State Nurses Association in a terrific interview with Democracy Now. Petty continued, “Specifically because of policies that Governor Cuomo has pursued, we are now 20,000 beds behind where we need to be in terms of trying to scale up our capacity.’” A flattering U.S. News article titled “How Coronavirus made Andrew Cuomo America’s Governor” (an obvious reference to the way Rudy Giuliani was called “America’s Mayor” after 9/11) points out that in the midst of the coronavirus crisis, the governor has “us[ed] New York’s resources to buy personal protective equipment and expand hospital bed space.” But does that actually mean anything, given that Cuomo trimmed the budget—much like the quarantine buzzcuts everybody’s been doing—way too close in the first place?

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2020/03/stop-trying-to-make-andrew-cuomo-happen
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,999

There are major problems with the democratic party, no one ever said there isn't (you call that a straw man argument).

With that being said, has there been any behavior or actions from the democrats that would compare to the voter suppression from the right, not to mention Mitch McConnell & his blatant manipulation of the judiciary?

mcgruff10 said:

Way to go Governor.

Gotta keep fighting 

Deblasio is an ass.
     I love the Cuomo who went on TV and yelled at Trump, the Cuomo who wrote an op-ed in the New York Times demanding more hospital beds and medical supplies from the federal government. That was great. That’s what leadership looks like.” Well, if you’re curious why New York will soon run out of hospital beds, it’s not solely because of the huge number of COVID-19 victims. It’s also because Cuomo has been closing down hospital space for years via his Berger Commission, which has sought efficiency in the name of “budget cuts and insurance overhauls.” This Cuomo-appointed panel just decided to cut Medicaid even further, including specific cuts to city hospitals. They didn’t arrive at this decision pre-crisis, but literally last Thursday. It would have been evil at any time, but now, as a highly contagious virus cripples the city, it’s unconscionable.

/.../

Cuomo is “probably the single most important person in terms of the drive to close down hospital beds in this state over the last 20 years,” said Sean Petty of the New York State Nurses Association in a terrific interview with Democracy Now. Petty continued, “Specifically because of policies that Governor Cuomo has pursued, we are now 20,000 beds behind where we need to be in terms of trying to scale up our capacity.’” A flattering U.S. News article titled “How Coronavirus made Andrew Cuomo America’s Governor” (an obvious reference to the way Rudy Giuliani was called “America’s Mayor” after 9/11) points out that in the midst of the coronavirus crisis, the governor has “us[ed] New York’s resources to buy personal protective equipment and expand hospital bed space.” But does that actually mean anything, given that Cuomo trimmed the budget—much like the quarantine buzzcuts everybody’s been doing—way too close in the first place?

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't you praise Coumo a few pages back?

Again, if I am wrong then I apologize.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    edited April 2020
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    DewieCox said:
    Even though you keep saying that it doesn't make it true. Nobody is saying that the Democrats are perfect.

What I'm saying is one side is a lot worse. If the handling of this hasn't made that abundantly clear, you my friend have been the one "drinking the kool-aid". Not to mention the idiocy of the last 4 years.
    Exactly.

Someone says, "they aren't the same, Democrats are better, here's the evidence" and Nick and dewie come running to twist the words into "Democrats are perfect" so they don't have to admit that they are wrong, the parties are not the same.
    Didn’t happen. I just keep seeing daily Trump updates and it’s basically the same shit. Everybody in Washington sat  on their hands too long. I didn’t hear any talk of  extreme measures considered when Trimp was ignoring the experts. Both sides have shown that’s something theyre willing to do but apparently not whenmm no it comes to saving lives 

Bottom line for me, at this point it’s moved past Trump and the rest of scum bags and is on the people. Both sides have shown that they’re willing to leverage anything and everything to win the game and it’s deplorable. Trump is garbage and the people that created the atmosphere that caused Trump are garbage. 
    Post edited by DewieCox on
    edited April 2020
    mcgruff10 said:

Way to go Governor.

Gotta keep fighting 

Deblasio is an ass.

/.../

Well they've been scaling back on hospital beds since 2000 so you can hardly place all the blame on the current Governor.  and a democratic controlled state congress passes those budgets before he signs them so there is plenty of blame to go around.  However in his defense it is hard to image this current situation so if those hospital beds were not being used I can see why he cut them.  
    He's not the governor of my state so I never really paid to much attention to him but he seems to be doing a damn fine job through this crisis.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424

Way to go Governor.

Gotta keep fighting 

Why is that Trumps fault? The gov is fully capable of gathering his own info and has had the go ahead to shut down the state for weeks.

Why is it hard to believe the virus was around in Feb?
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    mcgruff10 said:

Way to go Governor.

Gotta keep fighting 

Deblasio is an ass.

/.../

So now you’re saying that we shouldn’t recognize that people can have both positive and negative aspects? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    edited April 2020
    mcgruff10 said:

Way to go Governor.

Gotta keep fighting 

Deblasio is an ass.

/.../

No need to be all @rgambs towards me,

One can balance things out, and put forth other sides of the coin in question. It's not a teamsport with MY team and the OTHER team.

I praised his President-in-a-Michael-Bay-movie style of stern comfort in his briefings. Also his playful relationship with his brother I have linked videos to. And I stand by that.

https://youtu.be/K6RfnO6ULMQ

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,057
    rgambs said:
    Thank you for giving us this day our daily Giesecke.

In the Czech Republic, without face protection outside the house you pay equivalent to SEK 3600 in fines. Other countries such as Austria, Slovakia and Bosnia-Herzegovina have introduced different rules on mandatory face protection, reports TT.

- It is completely unproven that it has any effect, says Johan Giesecke, former state epidemiologist and now adviser to the WHO on infection prevention issues, to TT.

/.../

Instead, the new face protection decisions symbolize that the governments that have introduced them want to show that they are taking action, Giesecke says, and see them as part of a trend in Europe.

- Every country in Europe is currently taking a lot of measures for which there is no scientific basis whatsoever. It's no wonder they come up with something new once again, he tells TT.
    If you have the virus or help someone who has it, ONLY then its necessary to wear mask..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
    mcgruff10 said:

He's not the governor of my state so I never really paid to much attention to him but he seems to be doing a damn fine job through this crisis.  
    Agree. He also seem to in every briefing say in subtext: "our private healthcare system sucks". Let's see how stressed he needs to get to finally just scream it out plain and clearly. Mutate into a full on Bernie Bro.

But yeah. He seems very much in control and very clear and precise. Compare it to Trumps circus shows.
    mcgruff10 said:

Way to go Governor.

Gotta keep fighting 

Deblasio is an ass.

/.../

So now you’re saying that we shouldn’t recognize that people can have both positive and negative aspects? 
    Nope, asked a question.

Thanks though!
    mcgruff10 said:

Agree. He also seem to in every briefing say in subtext: "our private healthcare system sucks". Let's see how stressed he needs to get to finally just scream it out plain and clearly. Mutate into a full on Bernie Bro.

But yeah. He seems very much in control and very clear and precise. Compare it to Trumps circus shows.
    Oh he s light years ahead of Trump; Too bad trumps inactions made us so far behind. 
    mcgruff10 said:

Way to go Governor.

Gotta keep fighting 

Deblasio is an ass.

/.../

No need to be all @rgambs towards me,

One can balance things out, and put forth other sides of the coin in question. It's not a teamsport with MY team and the OTHER team.

I praised his President-in-a-Michael-Bay-movie style of stern comfort in his briefings. Also his playful relationship with his brother I have linked videos to. And I stand by that.

https://youtu.be/K6RfnO6ULMQ

Was wondering what the angle was?

Cuomo is not perfect by any means but he is a pure leader during this abysmal time.
  • DewieCox said:

Way to go Governor.

Gotta keep fighting 

Why is that Trumps fault? The gov is fully capable of gathering his own info and has had the go ahead to shut down the state for weeks.

Why is it hard to believe the virus was around in Feb?
    Nobody is going to convince people who want to look the other way that it was the federal govts responsibility to leverage all of the best data available to them to take the right position and make governors clear on the risks the top experts were were sharing.
    Instead he golfed 
    Further, the idiot in charge of Florida is a Trump Stooge.  Look at everything he said yesterday....third most populous state in the us and he kept checking with Donny to ask if they were recommending he take these steps (lock down)
    He didn't hear a Yes, so he didn't go it.
    He played the Trump card....he pushed responsibility to others beneath him.  In this case, the counties and cities in Florida.
    Where is the leadership from either idiot?

As far as the Super Bowl....why would Desantis make this claim?
    He didn't feel it was around in any way to be concerned about during spring break.....he didn't even announce the first positive case in FL until a month after the Super Bowl.
    How do all of these things connect?

My point was that he failed his people and is an idiot.  (Go up the ladder - same thing)
    What will the world do with all the ventilators when this is all over?
    Place them in storage for the next pandemic or loan them to another country that needs them?
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    So, anyone that has been screaming that what has been going on in Italy is because of "socialized medicine" please read this from the land of the home and the free...
    https://nypost.com/2020/04/02/coronavirus-nyc-emts-stop-taking-cardiac-arrest-patients-to-hospitals/
    This is awful.  I don't know what percentage of cardiac arrest victims have a better outcome at the hospital than they would when paramedics arrive on the scene (I suspect it is low), but this is another example of the ripple effect this virus is having on healthcare.  Frightening.

bbiggs said:
    This is awful.  I don't know what percentage of cardiac arrest victims have a better outcome at the hospital than they would when paramedics arrive on the scene (I suspect it is low), but this is another example of the ripple effect this virus is having on healthcare.  Frightening.

No, no.  It's "socialism"!!!
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    Save them to be better prepared for the next outbreak.

This discussion has been closed.