The coronavirus

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,002
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    I am seeing 5 or 6 new york plated vehicles headed west every night. last couple of days with uhaul equipment too.   

and that's just between columbus and indy on I-70

Comments such as those coming from the FL governor where NYers are being treated like we all have the plague are deplorable (not saying that’s your comment, it is an interesting observation you provided). NY kept it’s borders open to the world while this virus was brewing. Any state that had residents pass thru NY from overseas during 2020 should respect that benefit it received and share responsibility and community.
    have no doubt. they'll take your dollars and retirees but..... seems most of these gop trump asslicker governors really dropped the ball believing douchefuck.

finding it odd its just NY vehicles . No NJ or CT..
    Florida is still not preaching the act of social distancing.  

What is THAT state going to look like in a few weeks?
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    I'm back after a week long ban.

I am glad to know I am not the only "racist" person critical of China.

https://9now.nine.com.au/60-minutes/china-cover-up-coronavirus-12-missing-days-wuhan-60-minutes/d8426648-f9b3-4439-9089-b733b8e4a6c5?fbclid=IwAR1PejUmLJsA59I2ozyqF9sX4FXpCZHUxQjmGOxXtDzGLs39wq43dCz6FGc

I do not watch this Sky channel as I hate Rupert Murdoch and his press and I think this guy is a tool but I agree with him here...

https://www.facebook.com/SkyNewsAustralia/videos/1084108735286082/

The world must never forget this act by China.
    I hope after this crisis is over that Australia, the USA, and other countries stop relying on China and take back manufacturing.
    Time to stop this over-reliance on China as they keep getting away with a lot of bad things.
    You do know that everything you say can be used against e.g. the USA (as you brings up as an example in your post)  too, right? Or other nations.

Where does the purity testing stop?

China is in the Paris Agreement, e.g. the US is not. Why would any sound country deal with a country that in 2020 refuses to e a part of it and to acknowledge climate change? China might be polluting - but they at least acknowledge it and is part of the agreement. Should all of EU stop trade with the US when they left the agreement? Climate Change will kill more people than corona. And the US today, sides with changing the climate for the worse over fighting the problems.

The US started an unjust war in the middleast - why did the world let them get away with it? Or not stop our over-reliance on them? As they keep getting away with a lot of bad things.

To my knowledge the Iraq war has killed more people than the Corona so far?

So, why should e.g. VOLVO  build a plant in North Carolina - instead of in a Country that 1) acknowledges Climate Change and 2) doesn't do war crimes with no retributions ?

I personally think the world should - by using soft power and capitalistic tools (like putting their production in other "cheap" countries that atleast are democratic) stop the over-reliance on China ans stop building them up as the leading nation in the world.

But why does your irritation focus this much solely on China? Because of an anger-filled convenience? 

Fair points about the USA.
    I am angry because they kept the outbreak secret and allowed their nationals to fly overseas and spread it.
    All to protect their reputation. I think this has done their reputation greater harm than if they were to report it right away and stop people leaving China.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    edited April 2020
    I do not know a single person who would disagree with TA...

the China dislike in Canada has been brought on by China...

maybe instead of posting a tweet do some research on China/Canada relationship the last little bit.

China is currently holding 2 Canadians as hostages...

sounds like a great country.

china is a piece of shit.  Fuck China.

Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
    An unintended consequence of Gov DeWine push to talk Coronavirus and prepare prepare prepare has been the complete and utter lack of care for individuals in need of medical attention right now for things other than coronavirus.

My mother fell and broke her leg last week.  She was in hospital, but they decided not to do surgery right away and get her out cause of coronavirus.  A little premature in reality.  Well, they moved her to a "rehab" facility.  Only, since they are clearing wings of the hospital many people are being moved, including the mentally ill.  She is basically in an insane asylum that is on lockdown with no guests.  She has had 2 different men enter her room a total of 5 times.  The one was incoherent.  Took the staff 22 minutes to come to her room.  The second man was screaming at her to get out of his house and where was his wife.  3 times in one night with that fellow.  Staff not responding fast nor really fixing the problem.  These are staff that are not prepared to deal with the psych ward patients.  But, they aren't even meeting the base expectation of keeping people safe.  There is some more, and she has only been there less than a week.

I wish we could actually balance our approach appropriately.  Ignoring it does't work.  Neglecting care for those that need it to prepare for something that isn;t there yet doesn;t work either.  Not allowing visitors allows these facilities to get away with not providing basic needs.  I have no idea what to do.

So yeah, fuck the chinese government and fuck Trump for downplaying and fuck all those that dramatize it for 24 hour news coverage while we as a society continue to fuck over others that actually need our help today, this very instance.  
    Also, f*** Australia's PM Scott Morrison for a) not listening to warnings months ago and b) acting slow in response.
    His reactive "leadership" caused the outbreak to be worse here than it could have been.
    He also failed to listen to warnings months before our recent bushfire disaster. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

https://9now.nine.com.au/60-minutes/china-cover-up-coronavirus-12-missing-days-wuhan-60-minutes/d8426648-f9b3-4439-9089-b733b8e4a6c5?fbclid=IwAR1PejUmLJsA59I2ozyqF9sX4FXpCZHUxQjmGOxXtDzGLs39wq43dCz6FGc

I do not watch this Sky channel as I hate Rupert Murdoch and his press and I think this guy is a tool but I agree with him here...

I hope after this crisis is over that Australia, the USA, and other countries stop relying on China and take back manufacturing.
    Time to stop this over-reliance on China as they keep getting away with a lot of bad things.
    You do know that everything you say can be used against e.g. the USA (as you brings up as an example in your post)  too, right? Or other nations.

China is in the Paris Agreement, e.g. the US is not. Why would any sound country deal with a country that in 2020 refuses to e a part of it and to acknowledge climate change? China might be polluting - but they at least acknowledge it and is part of the agreement. Should all of EU stop trade with the US when they left the agreement? Climate Change will kill more people than corona. And the US today, sides with changing the climate for the worse over fighting the problems.

The US started an unjust war in the middleast - why did the world let them get away with it? Or not stop our over-reliance on them? As they keep getting away with a lot of bad things.

So, why should e.g. VOLVO  build a plant in North Carolina - instead of in a Country that 1) acknowledges Climate Change and 2) doesn't do war crimes with no retributions ?

I personally think the world should - by using soft power and capitalistic tools (like putting their production in other "cheap" countries that atleast are democratic) stop the over-reliance on China ans stop building them up as the leading nation in the world.

But why does your irritation focus this much solely on China? Because of an anger-filled convenience? 

I am angry because they kept the outbreak secret and allowed their nationals to fly overseas and spread it.
    All to protect their reputation. I think this has done their reputation greater harm than if they were to report it right away and stop people leaving China.
    China has bad reputation worldwide ... people like their cheap shit...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,610
    edited April 2020
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    I am seeing 5 or 6 new york plated vehicles headed west every night. last couple of days with uhaul equipment too.   

Comments such as those coming from the FL governor where NYers are being treated like we all have the plague are deplorable (not saying that’s your comment, it is an interesting observation you provided). NY kept it’s borders open to the world while this virus was brewing. Any state that had residents pass thru NY from overseas during 2020 should respect that benefit it received and share responsibility and community.
    have no doubt. they'll take your dollars and retirees but..... seems most of these gop trump asslicker governors really dropped the ball believing douchefuck.

I think they will need more reefer trailers than NY has in use right now......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    In Sydney, two girls of Vietnamese background got spat at by some feral woman.
    And a Malaysian girl in my cohort got picked on on the tram.
    It's shit that Asians are being targeted.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    So sorry to hear about your Mom, Cincy. Is there any way she can be transferred? I hope it gets better for her & you. Keep your head up.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    I live with my parents who are in their early 70s.
    I fear getting it and passing it onto them because they are in the at-risk group.
    I am trying to limit my visits to the supermarket. I disinfected my car incase I touched something and then touched my steering wheel with infected hands.

A friend shared this with me on how to disinfect your groceries...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=sjDuwc9KBps&app=desktop&fbclid=IwAR1PD76tXI3VUKdADtfxXqdXN_VqpIj5zvgp-LBPLTeIQSQvZUyJxAua2ZQ

China has bad reputation worldwide ... people like their cheap shit...
    Yep, people wanting cheap goods and not caring that it comes from slave labour have noone but themselves to blame.
    I wish their was a retailer that sells only locally made goods.
    Hard to find anything not made in China.

maybe instead of posting a tweet do some research on China/Canada relationship the last little bit.

Hasn't one of their doctors who spoke out against the CCP gone missing?
    Such a lovely regime over there.

the doctor who initially raised the alarm to local party members eventually died from it.

You may be thinking of this lawyer who did man on the street reporting because he was curious about what was really going on, like in HK  He'd give his reporting, mindful to not criticize Beijing. Until he decided he wanted to see what was going on in Wuhan for himself. He criticized Beijing over the response he witnessed........
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

the doctor who initially raised the alarm to local party members eventually died from it.

You may be thinking of this lawyer who did man on the street reporting because he was curious about what was really going on, like in HK  He'd give his reporting, mindful to not criticize Beijing. Until he decided he wanted to see what was going on in Wuhan for himself. He criticized Beijing over the response he witnessed........
    Yeah I know about that doctor.
    A woman is missing, forgot her exact position, I believe she's a doctor?
    I find it hard to believe China only has only 3,312 deaths and less than Italy and Spain.
    Covering it up probably.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR2OsGMYG8H-i4V2AJG-kz92SiSxuQDlnG10Zn9hbZVkFq9ov22fpGzz4tw#countries
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,279
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

They’re too busy pulling over any “yankee” that has a NY plate. 
    I find it hard to believe China only has only 3,312 deaths and less than Italy and Spain.
    Covering it up probably.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?fbclid=IwAR2OsGMYG8H-i4V2AJG-kz92SiSxuQDlnG10Zn9hbZVkFq9ov22fpGzz4tw#countries
    maybe. or total lockdown does more than whats going on here..

But still, they have a massive population. You'd think even with a lockdown they'd have more given their population size.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,313
    Already in September, it is hoped to be able to start trials on people and the goal is to have a corona vaccine completed early in 2021.

"I do not believe that"
    Matti Sällberg is a professor of biomedical analysis at the Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm and does not believe that Johnson & Johnson is likely to complete a vaccine in such a short time.

- I do not believe that. If they start doing Phase 1 studies this fall, it would be impossible to have a vaccine ready by the beginning of next year, but instead rather by the end of that year. Under the assumption that safety data from animal studies is good. If it's not good, then their schedule will crash, says Matti Sällberg.
    Now is not the time to be a naysayer.  Lean forward.  The world has changed and with it the rules have changed.  Things can happen faster than in the past.  Is there some risk, yes.
    hippiemom = goodness
    Covering it up probably.

It’s likely way more than that.  Never trust communists.  Fuck China.  We should send them fuckers the bill for this virus...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
    But still, they have a massive population. You'd think even with a lockdown they'd have more given their population size.
    except they locked down specific areas.helped with containment. and for like a month, month and a half.
    do official count, all from hospitsl or does that also include folks who were at home?

An unintended consequence of Gov DeWine push to talk Coronavirus and prepare prepare prepare has been the complete and utter lack of care for individuals in need of medical attention right now for things other than coronavirus.

My mother fell and broke her leg last week.  She was in hospital, but they decided not to do surgery right away and get her out cause of coronavirus.  A little premature in reality.  Well, they moved her to a "rehab" facility.  Only, since they are clearing wings of the hospital many people are being moved, including the mentally ill.  She is basically in an insane asylum that is on lockdown with no guests.  She has had 2 different men enter her room a total of 5 times.  The one was incoherent.  Took the staff 22 minutes to come to her room.  The second man was screaming at her to get out of his house and where was his wife.  3 times in one night with that fellow.  Staff not responding fast nor really fixing the problem.  These are staff that are not prepared to deal with the psych ward patients.  But, they aren't even meeting the base expectation of keeping people safe.  There is some more, and she has only been there less than a week.

I wish we could actually balance our approach appropriately.  Ignoring it does't work.  Neglecting care for those that need it to prepare for something that isn;t there yet doesn;t work either.  Not allowing visitors allows these facilities to get away with not providing basic needs.  I have no idea what to do.

So yeah, fuck the chinese government and fuck Trump for downplaying and fuck all those that dramatize it for 24 hour news coverage while we as a society continue to fuck over others that actually need our help today, this very instance.  
    Sorry to hear that totally sucks , his crisis has such a trickle effect that it will affect everyone. Hoping you mom get the help she needs..
    Thanks all.  Looking into options, but everyone using Covid-19 as an excuse.  I'm tired of people being unable to think critically and make decisions. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    One 'explanation' I saw was there isn't enough testing kits to go around.  Numbers are low because China is only reporting confirmed cases.  They are now going to start reporting suspected cases as well.
    In Ontario they are postponing people’s cancer surgery...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    In Ontario they are postponing people’s cancer surgery...
    Dumb, depending on the situation.  Cancer kills too and is already there.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • riotgrlriotgrl Posts: 1,895
    Not saying I believe the Chinese numbers but if you look at how extreme their measures were to contain it then the numbers would still be lower than what other countries are reporting even with their higher population just because their measures were so extreme.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/04/01/coronavirus-covid-19-china-radical-measures-lockdowns-mass-quarantines/2938374001/
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?

Seems my preconceptions are what should have been burned...

I AM MINE
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I believe that China also didn’t report people that tested positive but had no symptoms and also people that tested for having already had it that produced anti bodies.  That information is supposed to be released to the WHO today.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,002
    riotgrl said:
    Not saying I believe the Chinese numbers but if you look at how extreme their measures were to contain it then the numbers would still be lower than what other countries are reporting even with their higher population just because their measures were so extreme.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/04/01/coronavirus-covid-19-china-radical-measures-lockdowns-mass-quarantines/2938374001/
    I do find their numbers hard to believe.

There was an article about cell phone usage in China and that there are 20 million LESS cell phones in use now.

Take that for what it's worth but it is a link to something.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053

I am so sorry. I should have read up on how racism and xenophobia is A-OK and defendable in Canada before posting about their Chief Public Health Officer calling it out. Stupid her. And oh, so much stupid me.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053
    . but let’s not make absurd comments that there were no justifications for it.
    I stand by my reporting.

And so does Hans Blix.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    mickeyrat said:

Yeah I know about that doctor.
    A woman is missing, forgot her exact position, I believe she's a doctor?
    I think this is what you're talking about 

This discussion has been closed.