The coronavirus

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,246
    I saw toiler papers in the stores yesterday here in Sweden atleast.
    Did you ever think that would be a thought? Crazy times 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,047
    edited March 2020
    nicknyr15 said:
    I saw toiler papers in the stores yesterday here in Sweden atleast.
    Did you ever in your life think that would be something you said? It’s so weird what has happened. 
    I am a bit disappointed, living by myself, that toilet paper doesn't really get used up all that fast. I never got the chance to live "on the edge" like I thought I would. Haven't bought any new even after the craze started I think. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Jeesh.  No toilet paper. No problem.

If you run out of food learn to fish and hunt???
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,367
    I saw a beautiful group of 7 or 8 deer a couple days back. And @hedonist has a big, chubby cat too, if it comes to that. 
    (Thankfully, I only know one nasty hunter who takes more than he needs of these beautiful animals. Moose have been roaming lower down the mountain this winter.)
    edited March 2020
    A few of my surfer friends on the island thought they'd need to refine their hunting skills after they lost power quite a few years back. And for when the 'big one' earthquake comes. Never did we think it'd be a virus that would require fishing/hunt skills!

Time for a game of chess! Enjoy the day, all.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,538
    tish said:
    A few of my surfer friends on the island thought they'd need to refine their hunting skills after they lost power quite a few years back. And for when the 'big one' earthquake comes. Never did we think it'd be a virus that would require fishing/hunt skills!

Time for a game of chess! Enjoy the day, all.

I've been hunting for those last few cookies I stashed somewhere in the cupboard.  Come out, you little devils, I know you're there!

Oh wait, that's more like searching, isn't it?  Never mind!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• RideRickRideRick Hoorn Posts: 703
    Where do your beliefs about China come from? 
    If you have to ask you probably would not understand the answer.
    | Pinkpop 1992 *BEST EVER | Rotterdam 1993 | Amsterdam 1996 | Pinkpop 2000 | Arnhem 2006 | Nijmegen 2007 | Rotterdam 2009 | Nijmegen 2010 | Amsterdam I + II 2012 ** | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2012 First European Concert *EPIC*| Amsterdam I + II 2014 | Amsterdam Eddie Vedder Solo 2016 night I  | Amsterdam I + II 2018 | Amsterdam I -> Canceled  +  II 2022 *EPIC
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:
    It took about a month for the US to go from 1 death to 1000. It's now taken 2 days to hit 2000.

Stay safe.
    I wonder if Hilary is celebrating us being #1 again?
    What?
    When we surpassed China in total cases she tweeted “Well Trump did say we’d be #1 again” or something like that. I thought it was tasteless.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1243597001754894337?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-30286638482198667923.ampproject.net%2F2003261442330%2Fframe.html
    Its nice to know in times like these I will always have my favourite punching bag Hillary Clinton to distract from how poorly my leader has handled this.

That and he's a sociopath.

Indefensible. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 31,028
    He's such a freak.  His fans must love seeing his bumbling, lying, getting bigger every day, face in these briefings 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Trump: I had the greatest ratings during the apåolcalypse. Believe me.

Hitler, Satan and Epstein: Oh, is that so.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,832
    The first thing he’ll ask when he gets to Hell someday is what the ratings for his death coverage were. Don’t know if they’ll tell him, it being Hell and all. But they’ll definitely tell him years later that Obama’s death got higher ratings. Now that would torture him.  
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,240

Jeesh.  No toilet paper. No problem.

If you run out of food learn to fish and hunt???
    Nice touch with the coffee mug.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    Thank you, I was really starting to need a Giesecke update!
    No problems. He will lead us all through this!

Isn't he the guy who favors gatherings of 50 or more people?  Why is he so much more right than all the other scientists around the world who favor sheltering at home and social distancing?

Don't know what he has said regarding 50 or more people. But this is what he said when we had our first ban, of 500 people:

Johan Giesecke also criticizes the government's decision to ban public gatherings with more than 500 people.

- If you believe in that kind of measure, there should be fewer in each group.

How many then?

- 10-25, somewhere there.

and
    Sweden's decision to stop public gatherings of more than 500 people is "a half-measure" and its effectiveness can be called into question. This is stated by the infection protection expert and former state epidemiologist Johan Giesecke in SVT's Aktuellt.

- If you want to do that, I think you should have a little smaller groups, he says.

The statement came in comparison with how other countries have acted, where, among other things, Finland and Denmark set the limit for a maximum of ten people.

However, Giesecke emphasizes that there is no science on which number of constraints is best. Denmark previously had a limit of a maximum of 100 people, but it was changed to ten during Tuesday.

Unless they are children, of course.  If they are children then let them snot and spit and cough all over each other.  Because...science?

Riiiiigt.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Saltzy23 said:
    He locked the back door, but left the front door and all the windows open allowing people from pretty much everywhere but Asia to come over and infect us.

He also lied his stupid fat fucking face over and over about how 'under control' this all was for weeks, when that literally could not have been further from the truth.

Such a stable genius! 

None of this matters right now.  This crisis is going to be the most researched thing in history, and when these little things called FACTS come out and the US ranks towards or at the absolute bottom in how we dealt with it anyone with 1/2 a brain will realize how terrible we handled this.

....and 1/3 of the country will still stand by their moron leader and say it was Jiiiina's fault, or a Democrat hoax, or anything they need to do to keep the cognitive dissidence faucet running that their dear leader is not a con artist idiot. 

Copied from the 7:00 thread.

Agree with the bolded. I don’t like him communication.
    But his travel ban was a good idea and he was called racist many times for it. The travel ban also expanded as the cases did. It’s statements like that I don’t get. He bans travel long before anyone else, gets called racist, now is be said he didn’t do enough of a ban. Which is it?

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,366
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

Isn't he the guy who favors gatherings of 50 or more people?  Why is he so much more right than all the other scientists around the world who favor sheltering at home and social distancing?

Don't know what he has said regarding 50 or more people. But this is what he said when we had our first ban, of 500 people:

Johan Giesecke also criticizes the government's decision to ban public gatherings with more than 500 people.

How many then?

and
    Sweden's decision to stop public gatherings of more than 500 people is "a half-measure" and its effectiveness can be called into question. This is stated by the infection protection expert and former state epidemiologist Johan Giesecke in SVT's Aktuellt.

- If you want to do that, I think you should have a little smaller groups, he says.

The statement came in comparison with how other countries have acted, where, among other things, Finland and Denmark set the limit for a maximum of ten people.

However, Giesecke emphasizes that there is no science on which number of constraints is best. Denmark previously had a limit of a maximum of 100 people, but it was changed to ten during Tuesday.

Unless they are children, of course.  If they are children then let them snot and spit and cough all over each other.  Because...science?

Riiiiigt.
    That happens in middle school.  Kids sneezing and hacking on each other.  Soooooo nasty. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    It’s reassuring to see that Trump is still focused on the important things like...ratings?!  
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 31,028
    But he did good things.
    Keep up with the thread, man!

:lol:.    
    The best thing that could happen is for him to be out of office, any way we can get it.  Even the hater named Pence is going to help us more than this fucking fool.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

How many then?

and

Riiiiigt.
    That happens in middle school.  Kids sneezing and hacking on each other.  Soooooo nasty. 
    Not to mention almost none wash their hands after the bathroom.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,927
    Had my Kindy class wash their hands alot last year when I wasnt teaching them how to harvest medicine from the cottonwood tree to make lip salve.

My favourite beach was taped up last week. Here's a great example of how we ROLL!

Good job ladies!
    Johan Gisecke, former state epidemiologist believes that Sweden can be free from restrictions by midsummer.

- I think you remove one restriction at a time and see what happens. You might start by opening the school to everyone, then wait a week and see if there will be more infections. If there are more infections, you have to close the schools again. If nothing happens, you remove one more and then you hold on for a while.

Don't you think that tougher restrictions may apply?

- It could very happen. The Easter holiday is important to see if there is more spread. It can get stricter and that you start to loosen it up later. It is not possible to say, says Johan Gisecke.
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,268
    Here is a perspective from someone who doesn’t get wrapped up in rooting for one side or the other. Why did we not already have a plan in place for how to handle a worldwide pandemic? A no questions asked, exact course of action type of plan. Seems to me like that might be something our government should have given some thought about well before Trump even had the idea of running for office. Our last administration saw what the swine flu pandemic could do, and that was with a understanding of how to combat the H1N1 virus already. There were microbiologists predicting something like this current coronavirus pandemic with uncanny accuracy years ago. I have attached a review from the American Society for Microbiology published back in October of 2007 for reference along with the very accurate portion in a screenshot. No president should have to make up a plan on the fly when it comes to the safety of our country. Sorry, but this shit falls squarely on the inability of our government and not having their priorities straight long ago. Republican or Democrat it doesn’t matter, while all they care about is pointing fingers and acting like fucking children measures could have been taken. You don’t have to like Trump, and he undoubtedly says some off the wall things but the blame for this should be directed elsewhere. When do we stop letting our government divide us and start holding them accountable instead of spreading hate amongst each other? People just can’t seem to see the forest for the trees. RATM said it best, WAKE UP!

https://cmr.asm.org/content/20/4/660.full

^Agreed that the writing has been on the wall for many years and warnings were given, but for some odd reason the U.S. remained very ill-prepared. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,091
    JW269453 said:
    Here is a perspective from someone who doesn’t get wrapped up in rooting for one side or the other. Why did we not already have a plan in place for how to handle a worldwide pandemic? A no questions asked, exact course of action type of plan. Seems to me like that might be something our government should have given some thought about well before Trump even had the idea of running for office. Our last administration saw what the swine flu pandemic could do, and that was with a understanding of how to combat the H1N1 virus already. There were microbiologists predicting something like this current coronavirus pandemic with uncanny accuracy years ago. I have attached a review from the American Society for Microbiology published back in October of 2007 for reference along with the very accurate portion in a screenshot. No president should have to make up a plan on the fly when it comes to the safety of our country. Sorry, but this shit falls squarely on the inability of our government and not having their priorities straight long ago. Republican or Democrat it doesn’t matter, while all they care about is pointing fingers and acting like fucking children measures could have been taken. You don’t have to like Trump, and he undoubtedly says some off the wall things but the blame for this should be directed elsewhere. When do we stop letting our government divide us and start holding them accountable instead of spreading hate amongst each other? People just can’t seem to see the forest for the trees. RATM said it best, WAKE UP!

Buh, buh, buh, Obama created a cabinet level position to address and deal with issues just like what you’re asking for after the H1N1 and/or Ebola outbreaks. Also, requested additional funding for CDC and pandemic planning. Guess who eliminated the cabinet position and defunded pandemic planning? Also, guess who hasn’t filled hundreds if not thousands of leadership positions within the executive branch that could have mitigated some of what we’re dealing with today? Too bad your pointing your finger in the wrong direction.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,927
    JW269453 said:

....ummmmm.....

Before Trump’s inauguration, a warning: ‘The worst influenza pandemic since 1918’
    In a tabletop exercise days before an untested new president took power, officials briefed the incoming administration on a scenario remarkably like the one he faces now.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/16/trump-inauguration-warning-scenario-pandemic-132797

Trump admin was briefed on a possible pandemic driving transition by the outgoing Obama administration. Trump disbanded the National Security Council pandemic unit. Trump dropped the ball on the response.

Stop with the both sides are bad bullshit.  Trump administration single handedly fucked America on this one.
    Lack of intelligence and leadership results in the below. But keep thinking no one was thinking about it since 2007 and the last repub Administration.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/488069-obama-officials-walked-trump-aides-through-global-pandemic-exercise-in-2017
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
    I hope every repub is proud that Team Trump Treason was the most capable and stable genius to lead the US.

WH Pandemic news conference is a televised ass kissing. 

Brilliantati©
    It definitely seems like the Obama Administration was on a path to be better prepared for this, but I can't get on board with either party supposedly walking on water.   
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,538

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/mar/29/stephen-king-the-stand-coronavirus-trump-books

'Impossible to comprehend': Stephen King on horrors of Trump and coronavirus

Good article about King, The Stand, and how utterly unprepared we were when we could have been.  Classic clusterfuck situation we're in.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Yup, Team Trump Treason’s administration’s actions had absolutely nothing to do with how we ended up as we are.

https://apnews.com/ce014d94b64e98b7203b873e56f80e9a

Current practices should remain in place until April 30th. but what about the packed churches for Easter?

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.