The coronavirus

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sweden.

John Connor: Judgment Day. The end of the world. It's today, three hours from now.

Terminator: Two hours and fifty-three minutes.
    Is it ok if I call these people morons?
    Yes. 

At the same time, if those fuckers would have visited the mall where my moms restaurant lies - she would still have a job.
    Your posts on this topic are so contradictory it makes them nonsensical.  An accurate summary of your stance seems to be:
    People need to not wreck the economy by social distancing, but people who gather are idiots.  Unless the people gathering are children, then it is a good thing.
    What is contradictory here? Are you HAL and everything is on/off, ones and zeros?
    Sometimes things are black or white, on or off, one or zero... KISS, for example, is objectively terrible and corny, there's no grey area on that one.
    Seriously though, if you don't think your position is untenably contradictory, then that's your choice to feel that way, but I doubt many people are going to agree with you.
    KISS are objectively terrible and corny, and at the same time fantastic. 

Please, still -- point our what in my post to Mcgruff that was contradictory. 
    Your entire position is contradictory.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,366
    MayDay10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Latest numbers:  The grim numbers keep getting worse by the day, with New Jersey now having at least 11,124 confirmed cases of the coronavirus, including 140 known deaths, as state officials Saturday reported 2,289 new positive tests and 32 new deaths from an outbreak they expect to keep affecting the state through at least May.

I know I keep quoting you and saying this... but the cases are much, much more, and as more testing occurs, more positive cases are being logged.  All these hot cases now are from when 'social distancing' was put into place about St Patrick's Day.  This massive case jump was all expected, which was the source of the 'freak out' by most people who were paying attention right around March 10th-11th.  

I point this out to be encouraging moreso than scary.  It is likely that the 11,000 in New Jersey is 10-20x that amount, which means that the 32 deaths are out of that (much larger) pool.  Same with New York and every other populated location.  As I stated earlier, I know a few people who have it and are not counted in the cases, and they are doing very well and getting closer to 100%.

It is scary too because you need to assume that everyone has it, and the hospitals are packing up with an unsustainable load.  

Really unsure how things can proceed.  They say New York City should peak sometime in the next 8-21 days.  What then?  Meanwhile, other cities will be hit just as hard.  They cant just then open things up because we will be right back to square 1 again before long.

IMO the biggest hope is that some of the best minds in the world figure out a treatment to get control of this virus and the symptoms to ease the load off the hospitals and the life saving equipment that will be at a premium.  This way I think we can all be re-introduced into society before the vaccine is vetted because the % of cases that are severe and life threatening will be way down. 

It makes a lot of sense.  I think we are now two weeks out since lockdown began, hopefully the numbers start to go down. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,047
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sweden.

John Connor: Judgment Day. The end of the world. It's today, three hours from now.

Yes. 

At the same time, if those fuckers would have visited the mall where my moms restaurant lies - she would still have a job.
    Your posts on this topic are so contradictory it makes them nonsensical.  An accurate summary of your stance seems to be:
    People need to not wreck the economy by social distancing, but people who gather are idiots.  Unless the people gathering are children, then it is a good thing.
    What is contradictory here? Are you HAL and everything is on/off, ones and zeros?
    Sometimes things are black or white, on or off, one or zero... KISS, for example, is objectively terrible and corny, there's no grey area on that one.
    Seriously though, if you don't think your position is untenably contradictory, then that's your choice to feel that way, but I doubt many people are going to agree with you.

How? Curious. I think you might be wrong on that one. But who knows. 

Dont see it in the reply to mcgruff
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,927
    RE658041 said:
    I lost my sense  of smell and taste earlier this week.
    Well that sucks.  Have you been tested? Waiting for results?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,538
    edited March 2020
    MayDay10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Latest numbers:  The grim numbers keep getting worse by the day, with New Jersey now having at least 11,124 confirmed cases of the coronavirus, including 140 known deaths, as state officials Saturday reported 2,289 new positive tests and 32 new deaths from an outbreak they expect to keep affecting the state through at least May.

I know I keep quoting you and saying this... but the cases are much, much more, and as more testing occurs, more positive cases are being logged.  All these hot cases now are from when 'social distancing' was put into place about St Patrick's Day.  This massive case jump was all expected, which was the source of the 'freak out' by most people who were paying attention right around March 10th-11th.  

I point this out to be encouraging moreso than scary.  It is likely that the 11,000 in New Jersey is 10-20x that amount, which means that the 32 deaths are out of that (much larger) pool.  Same with New York and every other populated location.  As I stated earlier, I know a few people who have it and are not counted in the cases, and they are doing very well and getting closer to 100%.

It is scary too because you need to assume that everyone has it, and the hospitals are packing up with an unsustainable load.  

Really unsure how things can proceed.  They say New York City should peak sometime in the next 8-21 days.  What then?  Meanwhile, other cities will be hit just as hard.  They cant just then open things up because we will be right back to square 1 again before long.

IMO the biggest hope is that some of the best minds in the world figure out a treatment to get control of this virus and the symptoms to ease the load off the hospitals and the life saving equipment that will be at a premium.  This way I think we can all be re-introduced into society before the vaccine is vetted because the % of cases that are severe and life threatening will be way down. 

Good points made here, MayDay.  I think many will have to return to work before the virus is gone.  That won't happen until it burns out of it's own accord as viruses do or when a vaccine is perfects.  As I understand it, either scenario will be at least a year to a year and a half from now.  There's no way we can continue to operate with a shut down lasting 12 to 18 months.    It's looking likely that people who have had the virus and are fully recovered have built an immunity, so they can likely go back to work.  It's also looking like there are many now who have tested positive who show little or no symptoms- I've read that may be as many as 50%.  It sucks that this virus is taking many lives (at my age, that's a big worry), but that is the reality.  As terrible as that is though, we have to keep in mind that the world will go on- this is not Armageddon- and as well as keeping as many safe as possible- especially those in the higher risk categories- we also have to plan ahead and look at how we are going to put the pieces back together and avoid mass unrest and societal and economic breakdown.  That's a hard balance to strike, but it must be done.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sweden.

Yes. 

How? Curious. I think you might be wrong on that one. But who knows. 

Dont see it in the reply to mcgruff
    As I said earlier, your comments have essentially been:
    People need to not wreck the economy with social distancing, but people who gather are idiots.  Unless the people gathering are children, then it is a good thing.  Or if they go to the right restaurant, where a family member works.  That's ok too, I guess.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 31,028
    If people think they have it they don't need to get tested.  Only at risk candidates should be getting tested.  Everyone else should consult their doctor and take advice via telemedicine option .

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • RE658041RE658041 Sweden Posts: 406
    edited March 2020
    CM189191 said:
    RE658041 said:
    No. I don't have fever so I'm just staying home.
    RE658041 said:
    CM189191 said:
    RE658041 said:

A wise choice.  I hope you get through it well with minimal discomfort. 

Keep us posted and best wishes! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 31,028
    RE658041 said:
    CM189191 said:
    RE658041 said:
    Good luck, the percentages overwhelmingly support you being fine.  Thanks for making the right call and not bogging down the system.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,240
    RE658041 said:
    CM189191 said:
    RE658041 said:
    Hope you’re okay. I know how it is to be worried.  I don’t think I shared this, but on Tuesday I was trying to be good and stay home, was working on some projects I cut my hand pretty bad on a hole saw drill bit. So I spent 2-3 hours in urgent care getting 5 stitches and a tetanus shot.
    I began to freak out the next day when I began to develop a mild fever. After calling the doctor they said that’s normal after a tetanus shot. But I was still freaked out for about 24 hours until my temperature was normal. Mostly for my wife because she’s immunocompromised.
    And my arm still hurts from that stupid tetanus shot!
  • RE658041RE658041 Sweden Posts: 406
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    Any Australians flying home from overseas are now moved to mandatory isolation in hotels in whichever city you fly to for 14 days and guarded by police and defence force. If you live in another state after those 14 days you are required to self isolate for another 14 days in your home state. If you leave the house you receive an on the spot $1000 fine for individuals or $5000 for businesses. This came in midnight last night. Anyone not self isolating before midnight last night will be tracked and receive fines which has already been happening as people think it's ok to go mingle after coming home from overseas. Too little too late after already letting thousands upon thousands in for months now
    Ordered out for the first time in weeks. Feels kind of normal.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,038
    Had a video conference with the extended family today. We are spread out all over the country and had been planning a family reunion for early summer. Those plans are definitely on hold now. 

My brother in laws business is ruined but no one has gotten sick, so we're all grateful for that.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    ^ Looks good Mike...enjoy! We have a pie coming within the hour. Looking for a slight bit of normalcy tonight as well. 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    mcgruff10 said:
    Fine, I’ll say it. 

Where fuck is the wine with ice?
    That crust looks badass, by the way. 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,616
    mcgruff10 said:
    Looks great. I have been wanting to order pizza. What did you do with the box. Did you throw it out right away?

mcgruff10 said:

OMG, STOP IT, McG!!!  :lol:  

Just kidding, of course.  I'm just jealous because, despite the fact that I love food and there are very few things I don't like, unfortunately I do not digest cow's milk products of any kind and I have to avoid anything containing yeast... which means I am restricted from the foods I love the most... like the ones pictured above!

Nevertheless, I say with all sincerity, Bon Appétit!

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,409
    edited March 2020
    edited March 2020
    MF117973 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Looks great. I have been wanting to order pizza. What did you do with the box. Did you throw it out right away?

Yeah we threw it out right away.  
    Curbside pick up.  You give them your model/make of car and they come out and put your order on a table.  
    Pizza was great. Coal fired.  About to sip some vino.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,737
    pjhawks said:
    Was just about to Post this. Very Funny, but a good message.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,659
    To get back to the topic at hand

We are now at just over 2,000 deaths due to the Novel Coronavirus.
    But it's no worse then the flu
    It doesn't really exist
    It's just a hoax
    It's all part of a leftist liberal Democrat plan to crash the booming economy and get rid of the wonderful president
    cutz said:
    pjhawks said:
    Was just about to Post this. Very Funny, but a good message.
    David Letterman is really growing out his beard. 
    McCormick Place in Chicago, which is the largest convention center in the US, is being turned into a makeshift hospital. This is so surreal. 
    bbiggs said:
    McCormick Place in Chicago, which is the largest convention center in the US, is being turned into a makeshift hospital. This is so surreal. 
    Yeah nyc is doing the same.  
    How was the pizza?  You get a Lou s?!
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    It was really good!  No Lou’s tonight. 

I can’t believe how so much of the country (and planet) is being engulfed by this virus so rapidly. Local hospitals are starting to make statements about protocol when they inevitably have to choose who gets the ventilators based on chance of survival.  This thing is relentless.  
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    It was really good!  No Lou’s tonight. 

I can’t believe how so much of the country (and planet) is being engulfed by this virus so rapidly. Local hospitals are starting to make statements about protocol when they inevitably have to choose who gets the ventilators based on chance of survival.  This thing is relentless.  
    It really seems more like we are just woefully unprepared.  
This discussion has been closed.