The coronavirus

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,246
    According to the latest figures from the National Health Authority, 110 people have died in Sweden and 3700 people have been confirmed to be infected by the corona virus.
    Over the weekend, three coronas infected people have died in Jönköping County.
    One of the dead is, according to Region Jönköping, a younger man in his 30s.

Getting scary now. My age.
    I’ve read a lot of stories about people dying under 45 with no underlying health conditions. It’s very, very scary especially  since there’s no explanation. 
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,367
    Does anyone watch Agenda Free TV's coverage? 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCshCsg1YVKli8yBai-wa78w

I have not thus far, Fins, Old Sport, but I'll check it out. Thank you.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,529
    nicknyr15 said:
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/28/msg-chairman-james-dolan-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

Can someone explain to me how this fuck got tested for covid-19 with LITTLE TO NO SYMPTOMS? 

Does that make any fuckin sense? 
    It does in the sense that it seems anyone with money or a high profile is able to easily get tested while I don't know of anyone who can get tested because they don't fall into the high risk category. The only justification I could see for Dolan is his age, but with very few symptoms seems like the "haves" are still getting whatever they need in times of limited supplies.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    It took about a month for the US to go from 1 death to 1000. It's now taken 2 days to hit 2000.

Stay safe.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    edited March 2020
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,240
    dignin said:
    It took about a month for the US to go from 1 death to 1000. It's now taken 2 days to hit 2000.

Stay safe.
    I wonder if Hilary is celebrating us being #1 again?
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    mcgruff10 said:
    Ordered out for the first time in weeks. Feels kind of normal.
    We ordered pizza too.  Felt strange to us lol.  First non-home cooked food in 3 weeks.  

Paid over the phone so i wouldn't have to spend too much time in there.  Gave the kid a big tip over the phone (they all deserve it) and he then offered to bring it out to my car if i let them know when im there.  So that was nice.  

It looked exactly like mcgruff’s last picture.  
    tbergs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/28/msg-chairman-james-dolan-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/

Can someone explain to me how this fuck got tested for covid-19 with LITTLE TO NO SYMPTOMS? 

Does that make any fuckin sense? 
    It does in the sense that it seems anyone with money or a high profile is able to easily get tested while I don't know of anyone who can get tested because they don't fall into the high risk category. The only justification I could see for Dolan is his age, but with very few symptoms seems like the "haves" are still getting whatever they need in times of limited supplies.
    As of now with the way testing is, It’s bullshit for anyone, any age, with no symptoms to get tested. 
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:

Stay safe.
    What?
    dignin said:
    mace1229 said:
    dignin said:

Stay safe.
    What?
    When we surpassed China in total cases she tweeted “Well Trump did say we’d be #1 again” or something like that. I thought it was tasteless.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1243597001754894337?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-30286638482198667923.ampproject.net%2F2003261442330%2Fframe.html
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    According to the latest figures from the National Health Authority, 110 people have died in Sweden and 3700 people have been confirmed to be infected by the corona virus.

An infant with Covid-19 died in Chicago yesterday.  They're investigating the exact cause of death, but still.
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,364
    bbiggs said:

An infant with Covid-19 died in Chicago yesterday.  They're investigating the exact cause of death, but still.
    Heartbreaking. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 48,328
    Fauci saying 100k-200k deaths in the US is likely with millions being infected.

But it's just like the flu though...
    www.myspace.com
    Fauci saying 100k-200k deaths in the US is likely with millions being infected.

But it's just like the flu though...
    I thought that for a while. Admitted I was wrong maybe 3 weeks ago. I don’t think anyone still thinks that anymore, we’ve all admitted the error in our ways.
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 19,040
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,047
    edited March 2020

In Sweden, a total of 110 people have now died in the suites of the corona virus, an increase of 8 people from Saturday. The number of infected persons is 3,700.

- The last three or four days we have been on about the same number of cases per day. This is a positive development, says the Public Health Agency's state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell.

He notes that the increase in the number of infected elderly people seen a few days ago has stabilized. 255 people receive or have received intensive care, according to figures from the Swedish Intensive Care Register on Sunday.

People are now also being discharged from intensive care, according to Tegnell, who further states that the number of new intensive care cases per day has almost decreased in recent days.

- What everyone does here in the country must reasonably have an effect. Because this looks so very different from what it has looked like in many of the countries that have looked really bad.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    But what does Gieseke have to say? 
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

In Sweden, a total of 110 people have now died in the suites of the corona virus, an increase of 8 people from Saturday. The number of infected persons is 3,700.

- The last three or four days we have been on about the same number of cases per day. This is a positive development, says the Public Health Agency's state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell.

He notes that the increase in the number of infected elderly people seen a few days ago has stabilized. 255 people receive or have received intensive care, according to figures from the Swedish Intensive Care Register on Sunday.

People are now also being discharged from intensive care, according to Tegnell, who further states that the number of new intensive care cases per day has almost decreased in recent days.

- What everyone does here in the country must reasonably have an effect. Because this looks so very different from what it has looked like in many of the countries that have looked really bad.

Seems like something is working in a positive way for Sweden.  A very opposite direction from what we're seeing in the U.S. unfortunately.
    edited March 2020
    rgambs said:
    But what does Gieseke have to say? 

Swedish authorities have advised the public to practice social distancing and to work from home, if possible, and urged those over age 70 to self-isolate as a precaution. Yet compared to the lockdowns imposed elsewhere in the world, the government's response to the virus allows a liberal amount of personal freedom.

Standing at bars has been banned in Sweden, but restaurant customers can still be served at tables instead of having to take food to go. High schools and universities are closed, but preschools and primary schools are still running classes in person.

“Sweden is an outlier on the European scene, at least,” said Johan Giesecke, the country's former chief epidemiologist and now adviser to the Swedish Health Agency [this is wrong I think, he is only adviser to the WHO nowadays], a government body. “And I think that's good.”

Other European nations “have taken political, unconsidered actions" instead of ones dictated by science, Giesecke asserted.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Thank you, I was really starting to need a Giesecke update!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    No problems. He will lead us all through this!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 31,028
    rgambs said:
    That is the purpose of this thread
    :lol:.   
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,538
    rgambs said:

Isn't he the guy who favors gatherings of 50 or more people?  Why is he so much more right than all the other scientists around the world who favor sheltering at home and social distancing?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,366
    Not too surprising:

Boris Johnson's government is reportedly furious with China and believes it could have 40 times more coronavirus cases than it claims

https://www.yahoo.com/news/boris-johnsons-government-reportedly-furious-075257081.html

Boris Johnson's government is reportedly furious with China's handling of the coronavirus, with UK officials quoted on Sunday warning that Beijing faces a "reckoning" once the COVID-19 crisis is over.

UK government officials believe China is spreading disinformation about the severity of the coronavirus outbreak in its country, the Mail on Sunday reports.

The newspaper says scientists have warned Johnson that China could have downplayed  its number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus "by a factor of 15 to 40 times." China had reported just 81,439 at the time of writing.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:

Isn't he the guy who favors gatherings of 50 or more people?  Why is he so much more right than all the other scientists around the world who favor sheltering at home and social distancing?

Don't know what he has said regarding 50 or more people. But this is what he said when we had our first ban, of 500 people:

Johan Giesecke also criticizes the government's decision to ban public gatherings with more than 500 people.

- If you believe in that kind of measure, there should be fewer in each group.

How many then?

- 10-25, somewhere there.

and
    Sweden's decision to stop public gatherings of more than 500 people is "a half-measure" and its effectiveness can be called into question. This is stated by the infection protection expert and former state epidemiologist Johan Giesecke in SVT's Aktuellt.

- If you want to do that, I think you should have a little smaller groups, he says.

The statement came in comparison with how other countries have acted, where, among other things, Finland and Denmark set the limit for a maximum of ten people.

However, Giesecke emphasizes that there is no science on which number of constraints is best. Denmark previously had a limit of a maximum of 100 people, but it was changed to ten during Tuesday.

Has anyone been able to find any disinfecting wipes?  Everywhere I look online is out of stock.  We have a bunch of multi-purpose wipes, but they are primarily for cleaning; not disinfecting. 
    bbiggs said:
    Has anyone been able to find any disinfecting wipes?  Everywhere I look online is out of stock.  We have a bunch of multi-purpose wipes, but they are primarily for cleaning; not disinfecting. 
    Forget it. Purell, Lysol, wipes, rubbing alcohol,n95, latex gloves. Done. I don’t think we’ll see any of these for retail until after May. My distributor said June is the latest update for n95 masks. They all stayed in China (where they’re made) in December. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Make your own hand sanitizers.  

Make your disinfecting wipes

https://oneessentialcommunity.com/homemade-disinfecting-wipes/

Here in Ontario alcohol companies are making hand sanitizers with most be donated to front line workers.  Other manufacturers are re-tooling to manufacture respirators and medical supplies.

still think its a good idea to let our manufacturing leave to China and Mexico.  This crisis should wake people up...but it won’t.

Give Peas A Chance…
    I saw toiler papers in the stores yesterday here in Sweden atleast.
    edited March 2020
    I saw toiler papers in the stores yesterday here in Sweden atleast.
    Did you ever in your life think that would be something you said? It’s so weird what has happened. 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
This discussion has been closed.