The coronavirus

Comments

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 37,526
     Boris Johnson Contracts Coronavirus, Rattling Top Ranks of U.K. Government https://nyti.ms/2WTKrii

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,367
    edited March 2020
    That has to be worrying for UK citizens.

Edit:

"In this disaster lies an opportunity to reflect and change direction in the hope that if we do, nature will be far more generous than we deserve." David Suzuki
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,424
    Smellyman said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    No way. China never lies. To think otherwise is 100% racist. 

nobody has said that
    Just strongly insinuated. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,246
    DewieCox said:
    Smellyman said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:

nobody has said that
    ExActly. On multiple occasions. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    No. That's the lack of nuance.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,524
    DewieCox said:
    Smellyman said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:

nobody has said that

Nope.  It's consensus the Chinese gov fucked up the response and aren't reporting everything.  Nobody calls that racist.

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,309
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

And before anybody says anything about 'per capita'

The y-axis is logarithmic scale, which does better job of explaining spread
    Have you seen any good state by state curves for the US?  I was trying but haven't found what I'm looking for.  Since actions are more state by state due to inaction at fed, it would be interesting to see which states are doing better, or not as bad I guess

Relevant

Interesting, thanks. Greenburg Indiana has a huge Honda plant. Or at least near there and lots of people likely live there. Wonder what’s in the others?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,309
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

And before anybody says anything about 'per capita'

The y-axis is logarithmic scale, which does better job of explaining spread
    Have you seen any good state by state curves for the US?  I was trying but haven't found what I'm looking for.  Since actions are more state by state due to inaction at fed, it would be interesting to see which states are doing better, or not as bad I guess

Relevant

Interesting, thanks. Greenburg Indiana has a huge Honda plant. Or at least near there and lots of people likely live there. Wonder what’s in the others?
    I know Albany GA has a large paper plant for P&G as well. Maybe stocking up on TP not a bad idea!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,047
    edited March 2020
    Sweden.

John Connor: Judgment Day. The end of the world. It's today, three hours from now.

Terminator: Two hours and fifty-three minutes.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • RenfieldRenfield NYC NY Posts: 1,054
    Sweden.

John Connor: Judgment Day. The end of the world. It's today, three hours from now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/world/europe/sweden-coronavirus.html
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,366
    Sweden.

Is it ok if I call these people morons?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sweden.

Yes. 

At the same time, if those fuckers would have visited the mall where my moms restaurant lies - she would still have a job.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 31,028
    Would Johan approve of their behavior?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    edited March 2020
    Renfield said:
    Sweden.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/world/europe/sweden-coronavirus.html
    Thanks, registered to read it. 

One thing of note though - with them saying Sweden differs even from their neighbouring countries -- is that Norway and Denmark closing schools/borders was a political decision and went against the advice of their own public health authorities (according to Johan Giesecke).

And:

In explaining Sweden’s current methods, experts point to other underlying factors: The country has high levels of trust, according to the historian Lars Tragardh, and a strict law in the Constitution prohibits the government from meddling in the affairs of the administrative authorities, such as the public health agency.
    “Therefore, you don’t need to micromanage or control behavior at a detailed level through prohibitions or threat of sanctions or fines or imprisonment,” Mr. Tragardh said in a phone interview. “That is how Sweden stands apart, even from Denmark and Norway.”

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    edited March 2020
    I think so. 

Paraphrasing from an interview a while back:

"Going out to night clubs seems a bit adventures at this time. Cut down on your social life, but the most important thing is still -- stay home if you feel the slightest sick. And wash your hands"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sweden.

Yes. 

At the same time, if those fuckers would have visited the mall where my moms restaurant lies - she would still have a job.
    Your posts on this topic are so contradictory it makes them nonsensical.  An accurate summary of your stance seems to be:
    People need to not wreck the economy by social distancing, but people who gather are idiots.  Unless the people gathering are children, then it is a good thing.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,927
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sweden.

Yes. 

Have you considered adding more political parties to your government?  Maybe 8 isn't enough.  You should try having 9 or 10.  That would fix it.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,085
    https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1242255995470065664?s=21
    Go ahead morons follow the advice of a total idiot see how that works out, now onto Easter Sunday let’s fill those mega churches and see how that works out!!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,091
    https://twitter.com/gtconway3d/status/1242255995470065664?s=21
    Go ahead morons follow the advice of a total idiot see how that works out, now onto Easter Sunday let’s fill those mega churches and see how that works out!!
    Aren’t they MAGA churches?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sweden.

Yes. 

Your posts on this topic are so contradictory it makes them nonsensical.  An accurate summary of your stance seems to be:
    People need to not wreck the economy by social distancing, but people who gather are idiots.  Unless the people gathering are children, then it is a good thing.
    What is contradictory here? Are you HAL and everything is on/off, ones and zeros?
    edited March 2020
    Here is Johan, from today, touching on this and "the swedish model":

There are those who think the government is bowing to much to the experts. Johan Giesecke, former state epidemiologist and now adviser to the World Health Organization (WHO), for example, thinks that colleagues in his area of expertise have got a little too much power over decisions during the corona crisis.

"The government should take other things into consideration, but instead they let us decide," he says.

This is not the case in all countries, Giesecke notes, and exemplifies the school closure issue.

- Both the Norwegian and Danish public health authorities advised against closing the schools.

But the politicians there decided against the experts' advice. It shows political independence there, he thinks, although he does not think the decisions in themselves were successful.

In Sweden, however, the politicians follow the experts' advice, according to Giesecke. In the case of the school closure, it is good, he thinks, but it also shows how closely the politicians follow the experts authority.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,927
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sweden.

Yes. 

What is contradictory here? Are you HAL and everything is on/off, ones and zeros?
    Rules for thee, but not for me
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sweden.

Yes. 

Sometimes things are black or white, on or off, one or zero... KISS, for example, is objectively terrible and corny, there's no grey area on that one.
    Seriously though, if you don't think your position is untenably contradictory, then that's your choice to feel that way, but I doubt many people are going to agree with you.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,366
    Latest numbers:  The grim numbers keep getting worse by the day, with New Jersey now having at least 11,124 confirmed cases of the coronavirus, including 140 known deaths, as state officials Saturday reported 2,289 new positive tests and 32 new deaths from an outbreak they expect to keep affecting the state through at least May.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,538
    Sweden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy_cFHs5xb4

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,538
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Sweden.

Yes. 

Sometimes things are black or white, on or off, one or zero... KISS, for example, is objectively terrible and corny, there's no grey area on that one.
    Seriously though, if you don't think your position is untenably contradictory, then that's your choice to feel that way, but I doubt many people are going to agree with you.
    KISS are objectively terrible and corny, and at the same time fantastic. 

Please, still -- point our what in my post to Mcgruff that was contradictory. 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,664
    mcgruff10 said:
    Latest numbers:  The grim numbers keep getting worse by the day, with New Jersey now having at least 11,124 confirmed cases of the coronavirus, including 140 known deaths, as state officials Saturday reported 2,289 new positive tests and 32 new deaths from an outbreak they expect to keep affecting the state through at least May.

I know I keep quoting you and saying this... but the cases are much, much more, and as more testing occurs, more positive cases are being logged.  All these hot cases now are from when 'social distancing' was put into place about St Patrick's Day.  This massive case jump was all expected, which was the source of the 'freak out' by most people who were paying attention right around March 10th-11th.  

I point this out to be encouraging moreso than scary.  It is likely that the 11,000 in New Jersey is 10-20x that amount, which means that the 32 deaths are out of that (much larger) pool.  Same with New York and every other populated location.  As I stated earlier, I know a few people who have it and are not counted in the cases, and they are doing very well and getting closer to 100%.

It is scary too because you need to assume that everyone has it, and the hospitals are packing up with an unsustainable load.  

Really unsure how things can proceed.  They say New York City should peak sometime in the next 8-21 days.  What then?  Meanwhile, other cities will be hit just as hard.  They cant just then open things up because we will be right back to square 1 again before long.

IMO the biggest hope is that some of the best minds in the world figure out a treatment to get control of this virus and the symptoms to ease the load off the hospitals and the life saving equipment that will be at a premium.  This way I think we can all be re-introduced into society before the vaccine is vetted because the % of cases that are severe and life threatening will be way down. 

• RE658041RE658041 Sweden Posts: 406
    I lost my sense  of smell and taste earlier this week.
This discussion has been closed.