The coronavirus

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,047
    Listening to Gov Cuomo speaking just now.  This guy is taking care of things. I respect him.
    Have you seen him "fighting" with his brother on CNN? Haha. It's endearing.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,927
    jeffbr said:
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Look at the bright side. We’ll be rocking and rolling by Easter according to the Donald! 
    Didn’t he just say begin to open up parts of the country? Like the Midwest that isn’t hit as hard?
    Thats what he said this morning in the conference. Did he say the whole country yesterday and back peddled today?
    This topic needs more focus. Trump now wants to use data to decide which counties can relax social distancing rules because he needs to get things moving again before reanimation day. Can anyone tell me how this would work in practice? If Bumfuck County, Nebraska is deemed a safe county, and standards are relaxed, what happens when an asymptomatic carrier and relative from NYC comes for a visit to a loved one in that county and attends a larger gathering there? The only way that plan would work would be a total lockdown county by county. Won't some people be inclined to leave their hot county for safer grounds, and spread the virus there? We've seen Florida begin to get decimated due to people from NY/NJ heading south. So I guess I don't understand the logic of Trump's plan.

waitwaitwait

Florida is blaming New Yorkers for this?
    That's laughable, but expected I guess
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    CM189191 said:
    jeffbr said:
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Look at the bright side. We’ll be rocking and rolling by Easter according to the Donald! 
    Didn’t he just say begin to open up parts of the country? Like the Midwest that isn’t hit as hard?
    Thats what he said this morning in the conference. Did he say the whole country yesterday and back peddled today?
    This topic needs more focus. Trump now wants to use data to decide which counties can relax social distancing rules because he needs to get things moving again before reanimation day. Can anyone tell me how this would work in practice? If Bumfuck County, Nebraska is deemed a safe county, and standards are relaxed, what happens when an asymptomatic carrier and relative from NYC comes for a visit to a loved one in that county and attends a larger gathering there? The only way that plan would work would be a total lockdown county by county. Won't some people be inclined to leave their hot county for safer grounds, and spread the virus there? We've seen Florida begin to get decimated due to people from NY/NJ heading south. So I guess I don't understand the logic of Trump's plan.

waitwaitwait

Haha, yup. 

DeSantis orders quarantine of N.Y., N.J., Conn. airline passengers — Campaigns shut down in Florida — Moody to investigate cruise line

The governor put out an executive order Monday evening directing that airline passengers arriving in the state from New York, Connecticut or New Jersey must be quarantined or isolated for 14 days after they arrive here. (Let’s set aside the lingering legal questions, and it wasn’t that long ago DeSantis said he didn’t think he even had the legal authority to ban large gatherings in the state.)

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,968
    Cuomo to halt "all non essential construction"

I have one job that is part of infrastructure that I can do for about a week then I got nodda.
    jeffbr said:
    CM189191 said:
    jeffbr said:
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:

waitwaitwait

Haha, yup. 

DeSantis orders quarantine of N.Y., N.J., Conn. airline passengers — Campaigns shut down in Florida — Moody to investigate cruise line

The governor put out an executive order Monday evening directing that airline passengers arriving in the state from New York, Connecticut or New Jersey must be quarantined or isolated for 14 days after they arrive here. (Let’s set aside the lingering legal questions, and it wasn’t that long ago DeSantis said he didn’t think he even had the legal authority to ban large gatherings in the state.)

I would think places like Disney and the cruise line industry bring in more people from all over the world than snowbirds.

Besides, snowbirds stay a whole season.  They would have been there since last fall.

Tourists come and go in a week or two.  Not to mention international airports in Miami & Tampa...
    The idiots that brought their wine glasses and tents to the boardwalk here in Longbeach have successfully shut down the boardwalk.

Thank you to everyone that took it as a joke and did not practice social distancing.  

The one place that I had solace is now gone...

Damn people.
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,020
    CM189191 said:
    jeffbr said:
    mace1229 said:
    bbiggs said:

waitwaitwait

I really don't think New Yorker's are to blame here for anything. We have already had an immense number of cases in south Florida.  We could look at the cruise ships that dock here in the port of Miami that were carrying an X number of infected travelers, the spring breakers that tested positive partying on the beaches, and the influx of travelers that came in through Miami international airport just before the travel ban from Europe was ordered to take place. We are a "hotspot" just like a number of places around the country, and there are countless of reasons you can look at as to how our numbers started to incline. Doesn't look like our numbers are going to start improving anytime soon either. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,240
    mace1229 said:
    Trumps not the only lot world leader that fucked up.  The Canadian PM failed us and was slow to react.  Plus back in February he gave China 16 tons of PPE....and the Chinese government has taken 2 Canadians as hostages because that huawii bitch was arrested in Canada...Fuck China.

Not to mention de Blasio telling people in March this is nothing to worry about, encouraging people to go out, ride the subway, see movies up until like 2 or 3 weeks ago.
    Hindsight 2020 I think a lot of people would do things differently. 
    Where the fuck did you come up with this? Let me guess, just a guess?

Two to three weeks ago would be March 5th to 12th. Link?
    His tweets are public. Go look
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,240
    edited March 2020
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Trumps not the only lot world leader that fucked up.  The Canadian PM failed us and was slow to react.  Plus back in February he gave China 16 tons of PPE....and the Chinese government has taken 2 Canadians as hostages because that huawii bitch was arrested in Canada...Fuck China.

Not to mention de Blasio telling people in March this is nothing to worry about, encouraging people to go out, ride the subway, see movies up until like 2 or 3 weeks ago.

At least the OP could link to the faux news article they paraphrased or the tweet you posted, being a follower and all. In their excuse of Team Trump Treason.
    He was right and you shrieked at him. Maybe a little self reflection for once.
    Why the parrot of the faux news though? Running out of deflections?
    Since when is Twitter part of Fox News? I made an accurate statement, you asked for a link, before I could respond because I have things to do during the day, someone else shared the tweet with the info and you accuse of both of be Team Trump Treason and following fox news.
    No one mentioned trump in this conversation but you. Twitter is not run by Fox News, referencing a tweet that a public official made is not Fox News.
    you never once actually responded to the fact the mayor of NYC was encouraging people to be in public, rude the subway, go to movies, etc. instead your instant response to clear facts to to call us trumpeters and fox news followers. Neither of which have anything to do with anything.
    Thanks for playing.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    mace1229 said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:
    mace1229 said:

At least the OP could link to the faux news article they paraphrased or the tweet you posted, being a follower and all. In their excuse of Team Trump Treason.
    He was right and you shrieked at him. Maybe a little self reflection for once.
    Why the parrot of the faux news though? Running out of deflections?
    Since when is Twitter part of Fox News? I made an accurate statement, you asked for a link, before I could respond because I have things to do during the day, someone else shared the tweet with the info and you accuse of both of be Team Trump Treason and following fox news.
    No one mentioned trump in this conversation but you. Twitter is not run by Fox News, referencing a tweet that a public official made is not Fox News.
    you never once actually responded to the fact the mayor of NYC was encouraging people to be in public, rude the subway, go to movies, etc. instead your instant response to clear facts to to call us trumpeters and fox news followers. Neither of which have anything to do with anything.
    Thanks for playing.
    Get em!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 31,028

I have one job that is part of infrastructure that I can do for about a week then I got nodda.

Yeah, we have some building moves we wanted to send guys in to wire and thought it was the perfect time to do it....not gonna happen now.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved

Yeah, we have some building moves we wanted to send guys in to wire and thought it was the perfect time to do it....not gonna happen now.
    Are u in NY?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 31,028

Are u in NY?
    No but some jobs are in Manhattan that we are helping with.  (Sub out to teams able to work local union / permit needs)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,366
    8,825 confirmed cases in nj.  Holy moly.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,085
    mcgruff10 said:
    By Easter they will be doubled specially if the followers of the orange virus pack those churches he wants everyone to do..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    mcgruff10 said:
    By Easter they will be doubled specially if the followers of the orange virus pack those churches he wants everyone to do..
    I say by next week!  Pretty sure results are from tests given last week.  Inwould
    imagine the number is double or triple
     by now 
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,664
    I think you can assume the 8K who have it in New Jersey is probably more like 50-100K.  

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    This is just a microcosm of the big picture today, but the local Walgreens, just down the street from me, had 3 employees and 2 pharmacists test positive.  That's a good percentage of the staff, in one relatively small building, that were coming into contact with many people on a daily basis.  Luckily, we have not personally been going there, but I can guarantee many neighbors, friends, etc. have.  I'm way off the grid from downtown Chicago in the suburbs, by the way.  This thing is taking over everywhere.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 41,538
    bbiggs said:
    This is just a microcosm of the big picture today, but the local Walgreens, just down the street from me, had 3 employees and 2 pharmacists test positive.  That's a good percentage of the staff, in one relatively small building, that were coming into contact with many people on a daily basis.  Luckily, we have not personally been going there, but I can guarantee many neighbors, friends, etc. have.  I'm way off the grid from downtown Chicago in the suburbs, by the way.  This thing is taking over everywhere.

We are very lucky to have a Walgreens with a drive up window with a slide our drawer to exchange money or credit card for purchases.  No contact other that the items going in and out of the sliding drawer and those items can be wiped down with alcohol or other disinfectant. 

Speaking of disinfectants, here is a list of good anti-COVID disinfectants:

Clorox Multi Surface Cleaner + Bleach
    Clorox Disinfecting Wipes
    Clorox Commercial Solutions® Clorox® Disinfecting Spray
    Lysol brand Heavy-Duty Cleaner Disinfectant Concentrate
    Lysol Disinfectant Max Cover Mist
    Lysol brand Clean & Fresh Multi-Surface Cleaner
    Purell Professional Surface Disinfectant Wipes
    Sani-Prime Germicidal Spray

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

MayDay10 said:
    I think you can assume the 8K who have it in New Jersey is probably more like 50-100K.  

You are probably right. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,047
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,857
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    CM189191 said:

And before anybody says anything about 'per capita'

The y-axis is logarithmic scale, which does better job of explaining spread
    Have you seen any good state by state curves for the US?  I was trying but haven't found what I'm looking for.  Since actions are more state by state due to inaction at fed, it would be interesting to see which states are doing better, or not as bad I guess

Relevant

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,246
    CM189191 said:
    No way. China never lies. To think otherwise is 100% racist. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    Do people have no understanding of nuance?

Guess not. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,524
    nicknyr15 said:
    CM189191 said:
    No way. China never lies. To think otherwise is 100% racist. 

nobody has said that
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    There's always a silver lining, even if it's thin.

Trish Regan, Fox Business Host Who Dismissed Virus Concerns, Departs

The host of “Trish Regan Primetime” had said concerns about the coronavirus were “yet another attempt to impeach the president.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/27/business/trish-regan-fox-business-coronavirus.html?algo=top_conversion&fellback=false&imp_id=894193999&imp_id=536715638&action=click&module=Most%20Popular&pgtype=Homepage
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,367
    edited March 2020
    I know I said I wasn't gonna panic until we ran out of those bad boys, but I decided I'd rather keep my cool. Had my second public outing today, and man, was I in a cold sweat!

Thought I'd add some cheer to my home sweet by bringing this adorable, light haired ball of fluffy goodness home! 

Happy day 14! Welcome home, Milkshake!

Post edited by Spunkie on
This discussion has been closed.