The coronavirus

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,380

That is funny as hell!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,828
    edited March 2020
    tish said:
    When is the time to work from home... I'm still going to the office.. .work better here... it's a 10 min walk, so don't need to cram into a subway or bus... but if the numbers are starting to rise in Sweden like they are saying...

Better to err on the side of caution.
    Health > Economy
     If you were mine, you woulda been chained to the bedpost by now.
    I'm disappointed in all of you for letting this one go.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,002
    dankind said:
    tish said:
    When is the time to work from home... I'm still going to the office.. .work better here... it's a 10 min walk, so don't need to cram into a subway or bus... but if the numbers are starting to rise in Sweden like they are saying...

Better to err on the side of caution.
    Health > Economy
     If you were mine, you woulda been chained to the bedpost by now.
    I'm disappointed in all of you for letting this one go.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331

The Four Possible Timelines for Life Returning to Normal

The coronavirus outbreak may last for a year or two, but some elements of pre-pandemic life will likely be won back in the meantime.

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-social-distancing-over-back-to-normal/608752/
  • Brian, your updates are not too doom & gloom.  We do not rejoice in the awful stuff that is going on but this isn't the Coronoa Positivity Thread, and the sobering truth (or possibilities) are still in need of being shared, in my opinion, until everyone is taking it seriously. 
    (Stops saying we should go back to work, open by Christian Re-BirthDay, comparing this virus to other shitty things that kill people, etc.)

Death toll in the USA tops 1,000.
    Today is March 26th.
    How long will it take to double, and then again?

This is going to get much worse before it gets better.  The sooner people stop pretending and truly embrace the distancing to slow things down and give those who are already infected their best chance at survival, the better.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,555
    Brian, your updates are not too doom & gloom.  We do not rejoice in the awful stuff that is going on but this isn't the Coronoa Positivity Thread, and the sobering truth (or possibilities) are still in need of being shared, in my opinion, until everyone is taking it seriously. 
    (Stops saying we should go back to work, open by Christian Re-BirthDay, comparing this virus to other shitty things that kill people, etc.)

Death toll in the USA tops 1,000.
    Today is March 26th.
    How long will it take to double, and then again?

This is going to get much worse before it gets better.  The sooner people stop pretending and truly embrace the distancing to slow things down and give those who are already infected their best chance at survival, the better.

Truth is a bitch at times, but you said it well!  I hope more and more people are getting on board with distancing and hand washing and, if possible, staying home.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Keep sharing opinions, folks, but that's all they are, even if they're from smart people in the field. It's a novel virus, and it's all still guesswork, even if those guesses are educated ones. At this point, these articles, even those written by or profiling Nobel laureates, belong in the op-ed pages, not the science pages.

As for me, I'll see y'all in the funny papers.

"When the facts change, I change my mind."

Otherwise ...

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,743
    cutz said:
    Man, I feel for you^^^ jose^^^ and NY at this time.

It’s a fucked up situation , Elmhurst hospital which is only a few mikes from the hospital I work in had 13 deaths yesterday this is just the beginning of the darkness to come over this whole state! My wife who’s at home will start to look at rentals way upstate if shit gets really really bad we’re thinking of packing up and just moving up to the mountains for a few months..
    You gotta do whatcha gotta do for you & your family.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,380
    dignin said:

The coronavirus outbreak may last for a year or two, but some elements of pre-pandemic life will likely be won back in the meantime.

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2020/03/coronavirus-social-distancing-over-back-to-normal/608752/
    Excellent article, thanks for sharing. What is the science behind only getting this once?  Haven’t some people gotten covid 19 twice?

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053
    I wanna hang with my mom and siblings on easter :(

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited March 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:

Excellent article, thanks for sharing. What is the science behind only getting this once?  Haven’t some people gotten covid 19 twice?

- History with these viruses tells us it should give you immunity - for life, or for an amount of time. According to Johan Giesecke
    - Nothing is conclusive on reports of getting it twice. Johan Giesecke says it is probably not the case, but instead the result of poor testing etc.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Yeah, they are not sure yet.
    As Dankind shared, they do not have enough of a track record yet...but they seem to think you are OK after getting once.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,107
    edited March 2020
    SEIU "discovers" a distributor sitting on 39 million masks and is generously "connecting" health systems with them who will then be charged $5/mask, a 10x markup 

Post edited by pjl44 on
    edited March 2020
    Johan Giesecke doesn't believe in the weather affecting the virus. If it slows in the summer, it will be because of people being less cramped by Swedes going to their summer houses etc.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,386
    edited July 2020
    Tempo, I like your stylish face gear.

Meltdown, that was hilarious! Thanks.

Have a hopeful day!
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    pjl44 said:
    SEIU "discovers" a distributor sitting on 39 million masks and is generously "connecting" health systems with them who will then be charged $5/mask, a 10x markup 

"The union has no financial interest in the transactions."

Thought that should be pointed out before the reactionaries only read your headline.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    pjl44 said:

"The union has no financial interest in the transactions."

Thought that should be pointed out before the reactionaries only read your headline.
    I will take that at face value 
    Aaaaayyyyyyyyyo I found this warehouse with 39 million masks. Now it's not my warehouse but I can give ya his numba and I don't got nothin to do with this. I just heard you were lookin and happened to find a guy.
    CM189191 said:

Not saying the ad isn't effective or true. But when that end tag with "PAID FOR BY" comes I always disregard everything that has come before it as dishonest/BS. 

Hehe.

Spain, Europe's worst-hit country after Italy, says coronavirus tests it bought from China are failing to detect positive cases

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-spain-says-rapid-tests-sent-from-china-missing-cases-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,555
    dignin said:

Excellent article, dignin, thanks.  The one to two month scenario seems highly unlikely.  The 3 to 4 month scenario even seems a little optimistic but I would hope that is the best option.  Would love to be back to work before summer is over.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Posts: 1,019
    edited March 2020
    I started writing down the case numbers on https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ 3 weeks ago

Post edited by RunIntoTheRain on
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,422
    edited March 2020
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:

Excellent article, dignin, thanks.  The one to two month scenario seems highly unlikely.  The 3 to 4 month scenario even seems a little optimistic but I would hope that is the best option.  Would love to be back to work before summer is over.
    You think two months is highly unlikely looking at China and South Korea? I am hopeful thats all we need. I think we will have a lot to learn from China in the next month or two about the potential of second waves and if this thing can be stopped well enough or not with 1 lockdown after opening back up.  That is if they report accurately of course. 

I know no one really knows how this will all play out and it is all speculation. I just can't imagine living in a country that is shut down all of summer too. I guess I could not imagine living in a country that was shut down period. I am Canadian btw but still applies to the US for me. 

Post edited by PJNB on
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,312
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:

Is it a choose your own adventure?  I got dibs on 1-2 months!
    hippiemom = goodness
    CM189191 said:
    Play "china virus" games. Win no prizes. 
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    PJNB said:
    brianlux said:
    dignin said:

You think two months is highly unlikely looking at China and South Korea? I am hopeful thats all we need. I think we will have a lot to learn from China in the next month or two about the potential of second waves and if this thing can be stopped well enough or not with 1 lockdown after opening back up.  That is if they report accurately of course. 

I know no one really knows how this will all play out and it is all speculation. I just can't imagine living in a country that is shut down all of summer too. I guess I could not imagine living in a country that was shut down period. I am Canadian btw but still applies to the US for me. 

'I know no one really knows how this will all play out and it is all speculation.'

Not really.  There's a whole branch of medicine which deals with the incidence, distribution, and possible control of diseases and other factors relating to health.

This was not only possible, not even probable, but inevitable.  
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,422
    I am just saying the speculation of months away to over a year away. 
This discussion has been closed.