The coronavirus

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053
    edited March 2020
    The only care I have about a well known person getting the virus is if that impacts "sheeple" to take lock-down more seriously and slow the spread.  
    You, men pretty much like when Greta Thunberg used her social media to tell her millions of followers to do just that - respect and follow the rules being given?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited March 2020

"Our big worry, right now is the USA where very much is happening very fast, and has the risk of being very problematic"

At the swedish public health authorities daily press conference.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,040
    edited March 2020
    The only care I have about a well known person getting the virus is if that impacts "sheeple" to take lock-down more seriously and slow the spread.  
    You, men pretty much like when Greta Thunberg used her social media to tell her millions of followers to do just that - respect and follow the rules being given?

I think it is kind of creepy to post a picture of a young girl on a rock band web page but if that was what that all represented yesterday (when I saw it it was just a screen shot of her, no commentary) then yes, I think that is great for her to do. 
    I find the sheeple to be the problem, not the attention seeking "celebrity" in that instance.

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I find the sheeple to be the problem, not the attention seeking "celebrity" in that instance.

Aren't they always! (except for when they rocketed Pearl Jam to number one in the early 90s ofc)
  • I find the sheeple to be the problem, not the attention seeking "celebrity" in that instance.

Aren't they always! (except for when they rocketed Pearl Jam to number one in the early 90s ofc)

I guess.  (Although I think the attention seeking "celebrity" these days is problematic....a large percentage are people with no real message or talents.  At least Pearl Jam had both of those things at that point you reference.)

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,508
    edited March 2020

New York governor to FEMA: You pick the people who will die because of lack of federal resources

“You want a pat on the back for sending us 400 ventilators? What are we going to do with 400 ventilators when we need 30,000 ventilators?” 

Trump: Cuomo 'supposed to be buying his own ventilators'

This better be on tv 24 7 in the fall.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382

New York governor to FEMA: You pick the people who will die because of lack of federal resources

“You want a pat on the back for sending us 400 ventilators? What are we going to do with 400 ventilators when we need 30,000 ventilators?” 

Forget Biden, let Cuomo get the nom!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10 said:

Some people are better in crisis.  I remember thinking that revolting fat fuck of a lop of shit did a good job during Sandy. 
    Too bad our Orange Leader has none of those skills.

I read an article about the guy in Freehold who coughed on people at Wegmans, telling them he had The Rona, and got busted for terrorist threats.  First, what a fool.  How horrible a person do you have to be to do this?
    Second, the article said it was South Jersey.  South Jersey makes no fucking claim on Freehold - that is more in your area, McGruff, you can have him!  :lol:  
    mcgruff10 said:

Some people are better in crisis.  I remember thinking that revolting fat fuck of a lop of shit did a good job during Sandy. 
    Too bad our Orange Leader has none of those skills.

I read an article about the guy in Freehold who coughed on people at Wegmans, telling them he had The Rona, and got busted for terrorist threats.  First, what a fool.  How horrible a person do you have to be to do this?
    Second, the article said it was South Jersey.  South Jersey makes no fucking claim on Freehold - that is more in your area, McGruff, you can have him!  :lol:  
    Yeah that is the next town over from me, we are central jersey!!! That guy looks like a complete douchebag, I hope they throw the book at him. What a pos.  
    And you are right, Christie did look amazing during Sandy but it did not translate well on the national level. 
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I’m not very understanding on the economics of ventilator availability. Are there even 30,000 ventilators available at this point?
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
    DewieCox said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    First world problems I know but something just hit me hard: I won’t be able to my son on his birthday Thursday.  My ex is a nurse practitioner in the trenches with all this.  We agreed to keep him with her until this all this passes.  Haven’t seen him in almost two weeks and I am cool with that but missing his birthday, god damn I am crushed. 

Dude, fuck that!! Ain’t no first world problem. People are supposed to be able to be there for their kids. That sucks!! Don’t know the particular situation but people have been doing some neat stuff for kids that are missing the parties.... Doing drive by birthday parades and Facebook parties. Maybe you can think of a way to  make his birthday memorable for a better reason than this bullshit. 
    Thanks for all the kind responses.  
    A drive by would kill me, I wouldn’t be able to see him from afar like that without giving him a hug. I m teary eyed just thinking of it.  
    I’ll probably just FaceTime him.  Ordered a cool ass legocity set for him, hopefully it gets there in time. Wanted to get him yanks tix but there is so much uncertainty this year.  

• JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,461
    mcgruff10 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    First world problems I know but something just hit me hard: I won’t be able to my son on his birthday Thursday.  My ex is a nurse practitioner in the trenches with all this.  We agreed to keep him with her until this all this passes.  Haven’t seen him in almost two weeks and I am cool with that but missing his birthday, god damn I am crushed. 

Dude, fuck that!! Ain’t no first world problem. People are supposed to be able to be there for their kids. That sucks!! Don’t know the particular situation but people have been doing some neat stuff for kids that are missing the parties.... Doing drive by birthday parades and Facebook parties. Maybe you can think of a way to  make his birthday memorable for a better reason than this bullshit. 
    A drive by would kill me, I wouldn’t be able to see him from afar like that without giving him a hug. I m teary eyed just thinking of it.  
    I’ll probably just FaceTime him.  Ordered a cool ass legocity set for him, hopefully it gets there in time. Wanted to get him yanks tix but there is so much uncertainty this year.  

Lego is always a great choice. Try and make the best of it! :)
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,125
    mcgruff10 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Be well bro I’m sure when this passes you will get together and you explain he will understand, your Dad of the year! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,999

mcgruff10 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I'm conversing with my siblings as to whether or not it would be ok to go sit on the porch with my parents for an hour this weekend.

This is frigging brutal.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252
    Why do we need the government for a Coronavirus relief package? According to Brian Williams, Bloomberg can just give every American $1 million and spend less than he did on his campaign.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Math is hard
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405

mcgruff10 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I'm conversing with my siblings as to whether or not it would be ok to go sit on the porch with my parents for an hour this weekend.

This is frigging brutal.

Yup. My Mom is older & a lung cancer survivor...all we can think about is her being home alone right now & it absolutely breaks my heart.

I think we may drive to her town and just visit with her through the glass door. Ugh.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com

mcgruff10 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mcgruff10 said:

This is frigging brutal.

Same here.  My dad just had major surgery so if he gets covid19 he is sure as dead.  My idiot sister brought her kids there the other day.
    First St. Patrick’s Day now this: 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,002

mcgruff10 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mcgruff10 said:

This is frigging brutal.

No.  You on grass.  Them on porch.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,313

mcgruff10 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mcgruff10 said:

This is frigging brutal.

How big is the porch?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,279
    This fuckin virus is killing and/or severely affecting people of all ages. It’s getting real scary. I know it’s a lower percentage if you’re young but there are some scary stories out there that go against everything we originally thought. And nobody has any answers. 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    nicknyr15 said:
    This fuckin virus is killing and/or severely affecting people of all ages. It’s getting real scary. I know it’s a lower percentage if you’re young but there are some scary stories out there that go against everything we originally thought. And nobody has any answers. 
    I saw a report that said while the elderly are the ones dying the most from it, people aged 20-60 have made up the most hospitalizations. Well I fall into that category, and I'm a smoker. So I'm not looking to be hospitalized. In Washington State, they're making a makeshift hospital on a soccer field because they're so low on space. I don't want to be hospitalized in even the greatest hospital, let alone a soccer field.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,508
    static111 said:
    I’m not very understanding on the economics of ventilator availability. Are there even 30,000 ventilators available at this point?

Did we say that during world war 2? Too bad we dont have tanks nor planes? Was that our approach? No. We built them. Fast.

Go ahead and google US WW2 deaths vs what can happen if the covid crisis continues to be mismanaged and false logic continues.

The numbers should shock everyone. There is a chance this event is worse than a world war for Americans. 

But hey, let Cuomo figure it out on his own. Makes perfect sense. Thanks trump
    edited March 2020
    Here is an expert for you  @Merkin Baller

Things that Johan Giesecke said in a podcast I listened to, regarding it all:

- Giesecke does not think the virus has been spread to humans by consuming an animal with the virus, but just being around them (and housing several different spices that does not meat in nature in such conditions). The same with SARS. 

- Giesecke does not believe that the top of the Chinese government has ordered to keep quiet about the virus - but "in a dictatorship it is unpleasant bearing bad news to the one above you in the food chain, so people keep quiet"

- The big difference between this and influenza is that there isn't a vaccine, but the difference isn't that big because the influenza vaccine sort of sucks.

- Swedish scientists are working on a "broader" vaccine that will include more corona-strains that just this one. Discussions are happening about whether it would be better to release one only focused on corona-19 early or wait a tad and release one that is more future proof.

- Stopping it in South Korea like they did with all their testing is impressive - but the negative is that they are not getting any heard immunity at all. So they will be hit as badly next wave.

- What takes time with vaccines are two things: Make sure they are safe -- and Swedes will be extra careful about this because the swine flu vaccine caused narcolepsy in 400 of our children.  And then to mass produce it.

- Ebola vaccine took five years to make to be safe to use. The big difference though - Ebola doesn't affect the rich part of the world. Same with HIV - if it didn't start affecting the west there would not be drugs for it even today.

- No point in closing borders. There are research saying by closing borders you can stop an influenza epidemic by maybe a week, at most. If you are not an isolated island, like island. Trying to quarantine just the north of Italy was a an idiotic idea - "that leads to everyone taking their Fiat and driving south".

- What has been done successfully in China - the methods to stop it. Would never be accepted in a democratic nation. That controlling is only possible in a dictatorship.

- Closing schools has a marginal difference. One million kids below 10 years old in Sweden - who will take care of them? And teens will not follow the rules after 3 days "I'll go meet a friend instead".  It is not the school that infects - it's the people. And they will meet anyways. Closing schools = half of the work force in health care disappear. 

- Very little research about what helps and not - closing borders, closing schools. standing 6 or 8 feet away from people? The only thing we know for sure works is - wash your hands. 

- The most idiotic thing is the images from Asia where they drive around with tanker trucks spewing out disinfection on the streets. It's just to show people that politicians are doing something. Nothing else.

- We have two neighboring countries closing borders and schools (Denmark and Norway) - and the experts at their public health authorities have advice NOT to do it. But politicians has overruled it just to show that they are "doing things". 

- 50/50 chance Sweden will be put on full lockdown within 1-2 months.

- The rich part of the world must be ready to help the poorer nations - with testing and expertise. But right now, European nations don't even share equipment with each other. 

- Soap and water is better for viruses than alcogel. 

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,999

mcgruff10 said:
    DewieCox said:
    mcgruff10 said:

This is frigging brutal.

How big is the porch?

The more I think about it, it's probably irrelevant. My folks are skeptical of everything, now I'm thinking as soon as we get there they would insist on having us in, thinking it will be ok & I don't want to have that argument.

Ugh, I may just have to forego the visit.

Could be worse... my cousin in the UK was diagnosed with the virus on Monday. He's in his early 50s, hopefully he'll be ok, but his mom, my aunt, is terminal with cancer, and doesn't have much time left. She may go while he's isolated & recovering. I'm not fishing for sympathy, just trying to put my situation in perspective more than anything else.

I feel like there will only be more & more of these stories for all of us in the coming weeks, if not longer.

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    static111 said:

Did we say that during world war 2? Too bad we dont have tanks nor planes? Was that our approach? No. We built them. Fast.

Go ahead and google US WW2 deaths vs what can happen if the covid crisis continues to be mismanaged and false logic continues.

The numbers should shock everyone. There is a chance this event is worse than a world war for Americans. 

But hey, let Cuomo figure it out on his own. Makes perfect sense. Thanks trump
    Man you overreact quite regularly. I was just asking what is the reality of getting 30000 ventilators. Nothing partisan. No blaming. Just what is the necessary logistics of getting 30,000 ventilators? If they aren’t available who can make them?  And no this isn’t WW2 
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,477
    mcgruff10 said:
    being with family is not a first world problem, mike. it would crush the best of us. two weeks away from my kids, birthday or not, would be enough to do me in. stay strong. and don't feel guilty about being sad about it. he's your son. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,477
    i know the numbers say the elderly and compromised folks are the most at-risk group, but people are saying the most hospitalizations are made up of "young" people, and are surprised by this. why? doesn't this just tell us that group is the more careless/reckless of them all?
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

This discussion has been closed.