The coronavirus

Comments

• mcgruff10 said:

How an Austrian ski resort helped coronavirus spread across Europe

Entire article here: (definitely worth the read) https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/europe/austria-ski-resort-ischgl-coronavirus-intl/index.html
    "At first, we didn't understand how this many cases could have happened," Christensen, who had been briefed by experts working on Iceland's response to the pandemic, said. But a clearer picture emerged when officials worked out what was going on in some of Ischgl's tightly packed bars and clubs.
    "We realized that they exchanged saliva because they were playing beer pong," using their mouths, he said, although he did not single out any specific bars where the game took place. The game involved spitting ping pong balls out of their mouths into beer glasses, and those balls were then reused by other people.
    Lerfeldt reported that Kitzloch bartenders, including the 36-year-old who later tested positive for coronavirus, blew on a brass whistle to get people to move out of their way as they took shots to customers. Several customers also blew the whistle for fun, Lerfeldt said. "I can see why people would want to whistle it -- and nobody knew he was sick," Lerfeldt said.
    Monika Redlberger-Fritz, head of the influenza department at the Medical University of Vienna, told CNN that the way the virus spread in Ischgl means there was likely at least one person who infected a large number of other people.
    "That means that there was at least one patient who had a very high viral load, and while most people will infect two to three others on average, these people can transmit the disease to 40, 50, or 80 people." Redlberger-Fritz said that this may have cut the lead time for authorities to react by several days.

They play beer pong differently than I do
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    Do not blame China!
    Blame China = Racist!
    Nobody cares, take your hurt feelings somewhere else.

And stop trolling with the conspiracy shit.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    mcgruff10 said:

How an Austrian ski resort helped coronavirus spread across Europe

Entire article here: (definitely worth the read) https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/europe/austria-ski-resort-ischgl-coronavirus-intl/index.html
    "At first, we didn't understand how this many cases could have happened," Christensen, who had been briefed by experts working on Iceland's response to the pandemic, said. But a clearer picture emerged when officials worked out what was going on in some of Ischgl's tightly packed bars and clubs.
    "We realized that they exchanged saliva because they were playing beer pong," using their mouths, he said, although he did not single out any specific bars where the game took place. The game involved spitting ping pong balls out of their mouths into beer glasses, and those balls were then reused by other people.
    Lerfeldt reported that Kitzloch bartenders, including the 36-year-old who later tested positive for coronavirus, blew on a brass whistle to get people to move out of their way as they took shots to customers. Several customers also blew the whistle for fun, Lerfeldt said. "I can see why people would want to whistle it -- and nobody knew he was sick," Lerfeldt said.
    Monika Redlberger-Fritz, head of the influenza department at the Medical University of Vienna, told CNN that the way the virus spread in Ischgl means there was likely at least one person who infected a large number of other people.
    "That means that there was at least one patient who had a very high viral load, and while most people will infect two to three others on average, these people can transmit the disease to 40, 50, or 80 people." Redlberger-Fritz said that this may have cut the lead time for authorities to react by several days.

They play beer pong differently than I do
    Right?! But it makes sense.  Beer pong and shots are responsible for spreading this nasty virus.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,999

Do not blame China!
    Blame China = Racist!
    Grow up.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Btw it was more than one poster
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    Too bad. I cannot control people taking my memes as right wing extremist. I know what I mean.
    As a general rule, don't post a meme if you're trying to get across a serious point. Either write it in your own words or link to an article.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053
    It was a shitty image with Donald Trump-propaganda on it.

Was not a meme, to my knowledge.

Every videogame is not "a Nintendo" and every image on the internet is not a meme.

Let's all rise above every mom in the 90s. Please.

Carry on.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,309
    Too bad. I cannot control people taking my memes as right wing extremist. I know what I mean.
    what's the source of the "study" please?
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,252
    mickeyrat said:

Fuck him let him go and volunteer at one of the hospitals put your money where your mouth is asshole , I’m sorry but I despise 99.9% of Republicans staring with asshole #1 you know the one who wants to just start up everything because the economy dictates it fuck you and your whole party I take it bake I despise every Republican..
    I thought it was idiotic when I heard heard about this comment. I finally just watched the clip. And I don’t think that’s what he was actually saying. I don’t think he did a good job of talking about it. But I think he was just saying destroying the economy is going to have a bigger impact and seniors can worry about themselves. He didn’t say reopen the economy today and let seniors die. He said if it’s closed more than 3 months we may have irreparable damage to the economy. I agree with that. And that Seniors can take care of themselves. I wouldn’t have phrased it that way, but I also agree. Many stores already have senior hours before they open. 
    I would say before we destroy our economy and create more harm, the economy should reopen. And those who are high risk, including seniors and those with immuno diseases, should continue to self quarantine and utilize things like senior shopping hours. Because at some point destroying the economy will destroy lives too, we need to get back to more of a normal before we get to that point. That doesn’t mean just sacrifice seniors.
    Listening to his entire segment that’s what my take was on it anyway. 
    mrussel1 said:
    https://www.southampton.ac.uk/news/2020/03/covid-19-china.page
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

Fuck him let him go and volunteer at one of the hospitals put your money where your mouth is asshole , I’m sorry but I despise 99.9% of Republicans staring with asshole #1 you know the one who wants to just start up everything because the economy dictates it fuck you and your whole party I take it bake I despise every Republican..
    I thought it was idiotic when I heard heard about this comment. I finally just watched the clip. And I don’t think that’s what he was actually saying. I don’t think he did a good job of talking about it. But I think he was just saying destroying the economy is going to have a bigger impact and seniors can worry about themselves. He didn’t say reopen the economy today and let seniors die. He said if it’s closed more than 3 months we may have irreparable damage to the economy. I agree with that. And that Seniors can take care of themselves. I wouldn’t have phrased it that way, but I also agree. Many stores already have senior hours before they open. 
    I would say before we destroy our economy and create more harm, the economy should reopen. And those who are high risk, including seniors and those with immuno diseases, should continue to self quarantine and utilize things like senior shopping hours. Because at some point destroying the economy will destroy lives too, we need to get back to more of a normal before we get to that point. That doesn’t mean just sacrifice seniors.

We're all worried about our financial future, which is more or less fucked regardless, in the short term.

What do you think the economy is going to look like in four months with an unchecked & highly contagious virus that kills hundreds of thousands, if not more?

What happens to the doctors and nurses on the front lines between now & then?

pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    By the way, the article provides background on the researchers who performed this study (WorldPop). It's not like they're a right wing thinktank.

mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

We're all worried about our financial future, which is more or less fucked regardless, in the short term.

What do you think the economy is going to look like in four months with an unchecked & highly contagious virus that kills hundreds of thousands, if not more?

I think reopening the economy today is a bad idea, and I haven’t seen anyone suggest that. Trump said “soon” but who knows what that means, soon is all relevant. 
    I think experts need to look at small businesses, find out how long before they start closing for good. Look at big businesses, find out how many layoffs they will make after 1 month, 2 months, etc. When those small businesses close those people and everyone they employ are out of work. There will like be far more people looking for work than jobs available. Many will not recover from that.
    Then talk with medical experts, predict when this will spike. The goal wouldn’t be to eradicate the virus, but to even out the cases so hospitals aren’t overwhelmed. Find out when those 2 lines cross, the line of irreparable damage to the economy and the virus.
    Younger, healthier people have close to a 100% survival rate. So younger, healthy people can go back to work and live more or less normal lives. Certain things will change for a very long time, that’s why I said more or less.
    High risk people continue to self quarantine and utilize senior hours. 

It won’t be this week. But it may be next month or the month after. But if we continue like this for 6 months I predict the economy will do more damage than the virus will.
    pjl44 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Thank you
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927

You misspelled propaganda....
    ...and misinformation
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I think reopening the economy today is a bad idea, and I haven’t seen anyone suggest that. Trump said “soon” but who knows what that means, soon is all relevant. 
    I think experts need to look at small businesses, find out how long before they start closing for good. Look at big businesses, find out how many layoffs they will make after 1 month, 2 months, etc. When those small businesses close those people and everyone they employ are out of work. There will like be far more people looking for work than jobs available. Many will not recover from that.
    Then talk with medical experts, predict when this will spike. The goal wouldn’t be to eradicate the virus, but to even out the cases so hospitals aren’t overwhelmed. Find out when those 2 lines cross, the line of irreparable damage to the economy and the virus.
    Younger, healthier people have close to a 100% survival rate. So younger, healthy people can go back to work and live more or less normal lives. Certain things will change for a very long time, that’s why I said more or less.

It won’t be this week. But it may be next month or the month after. But if we continue like this for 6 months I predict the economy will do more damage than the virus will.

I think right now 100% of the energy and focus should be on containment, and giving the healthcare professionals a fighting chance, and reassess in 2-3 weeks.

But there are far too many voices crying about the economy, and the long term impact on it, and not enough worried about the doctors and nurses on the front lines.

CM189191 said:

...and misinformation
    GTH
  • the economy will recover. 

it is abhorrent that the idiot on tv last night suggests that old people would be happy to sacrifice their lives for a good economy for their grandchildren. i could be in my 70s and vulnerable. if i have this virus i would say "fuck your economy and save my life". i would assume most people would do the same.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    the economy will recover. 

it is abhorrent that the idiot on tv last night suggests that old people would be happy to sacrifice their lives for a good economy for their grandchildren. i could be in my 70s and vulnerable. if i have this virus i would say "fuck your economy and save my life". i would assume most people would do the same.

Let's not forget pediatric cancer patients & other compromised groups.

Have fun telling their parents the economy is more important.

CM189191 said:

...and misinformation
    Btw. You defending a regime with a record of human rights violations says a lot more about you than me.
    edited March 2020
    I can't deal with all this S O C I A L I S M.

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited March 2020
    CM189191 said:

...and misinformation
    Btw. You defending a regime with a record of human rights violations says a lot more about you than me.
    The poster doesn't seem to be defending anything?
  • mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I think right now 100% of the energy and focus should be on containment, and giving the healthcare professionals a fighting chance, and reassess in 2-3 weeks.

But there are far too many voices crying about the economy, and the long term impact on it, and not enough worried about the doctors and nurses on the front lines.

If only we could implement what could be an effective measure of virus spread through national lockdown instead wasting all of this time being inefficient because the Feds don't have the fucking balls to try and implement this everywhere....everyone should agree that a long term lock in is not something that will be good and actually follow the rules in place now to try and save lives.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • RenfieldRenfield Posts: 1,054
    @Thoughts_Arrive  
    Don’t you have University studies to attend to instead of deliberately trying to aggravate people with your inane posts
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Do not blame China!
    Blame China = Racist!
    Knock it off, already. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,125
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I don’t agree at all sorry but I’m listening to MD’s I work with fuck the politicians I’m not going to go on their advice they can screw themselves! Like I said let him go and volunteer at a senior center or at testing stations let’s see him get close to the fire..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

If only we could implement what could be an effective measure of virus spread through national lockdown instead wasting all of this time being inefficient because the Feds don't have the fucking balls to try and implement this everywhere....everyone should agree that a long term lock in is not something that will be good and actually follow the rules in place now to try and save lives.

I'm with you. We have an impotent federal government with a man baby at the helm who is completely incapable of rising any where close to what this nation needs as a leader.

An immediate nationwide 3 week shutdown would hurt, big time... but we would recover.

The longer the virus spreads, the worse the immediate impact to EVERYTHING, including the recovery, is going to be... how do people not understand this?

I don't see how that is financially possible. 1 month of covering salaries has got to be eat up the budget for the entire year. Its all nice to hear and sounds great, but where does that money come from? DO they pay these salaries for a month then government shuts down for the rest of the year? I just don't see how that is possible. 
    mace1229 said:

I don't see how that is financially possible. 1 month of covering salaries has got to be eat up the budget for the entire year. Its all nice to hear and sounds great, but where does that money come from? DO they pay these salaries for a month then government shuts down for the rest of the year? I just don't see how that is possible. 
    Better to pay to keep people employed than to pay for the disruption caused by mass layoffs and unemployment, the government has said.

/.../

While countries like Denmark have famously robust safety nets, even the Conservative government in Britain has, after years of austerity, adopted a similar approach. “For the first time in our history, the government is going to step in and pay people’s wages,” the British chancellor of the Exchequer, Rishi Sunak, said last week. The plan, which is still being developed, will pay up to about $2,900 a month to workers who have lost hours but are not laid off.

The center-right government in Germany will spend more than $40 billion to help small businesses cover basic needs to stay afloat during the crisis. That is in addition to a program aimed at larger companies, called “kurzarbeit,” or “short-time working,” that covers lost wages for employees who are sent home, to avoid laying them off. Economists expect about two million workers to receive aid under the program, more than during the financial crisis a decade ago.

“We have a security net, and people don’t fall below the security net,” said Dierk Hirschel, the chief economist of ver.di, one of Germany’s largest trade unions. “But people are going to lose income, and in a traumatic way.”
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,945
    mace1229 said:
    mickeyrat said:

I don’t agree at all sorry but I’m listening to MD’s I work with fuck the politicians I’m not going to go on their advice they can screw themselves! Like I said let him go and volunteer at a senior center or at testing stations let’s see him get close to the fire..

I'm with you on this.  I don't work in a hospital, but a good percentage of my clients are doctors and I'm gathering information directly from them.  I base my thoughts on what medical experts are saying and nobody else.
This discussion has been closed.