The coronavirus

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053
    edited March 2020
    SWEDEN'S GOVERNMENT'S NEW MESSAGE:
    Only table service is allowed at restaurants, bars and cafes. No persons should be allowed to stand and crowd.
    • Municipalities can close restaurants, bars and cafes that do not follow the rules.

Seems that by that definition that dancing at places is forbidden. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,111
    pjl44 said:
    The meme is goofy but the claim comes from a University of Southampton study. I've seen it reported on in places more reputable than a local news channel Facebook page.

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/news/2020/03/covid-19-china.page
    Is the conclusion of that study that "So, alphamale Donald Trump is god damn correct when insisting on calling it Chinese virus to not have to take any responsibility himself and instead just focus the attention on 'the other'" ?
    I saw people asking where the claim came from so I posted the link to the study (which I had seen reported on by traditional news sources). If you want to keep fighting about the meme, take it up with the guy who posted it.
    Anyone find it odd Russia has zero cases when nearly every country in the world is affected?
    It's almost as if you can't trust reported data from authoritarian regimes
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,612
    Anyone find it odd Russia has zero cases when nearly every country in the world is affected?
    no. not odd all. keeps them from showing vulnerability as a government...

all that needs done is to track the countries that the chinese tourists or business people have visited since Dec...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • CM189191CM189191 Posts: 6,927
    https://twitter.com/Kasparov63 has some theories

Like they're just lying about it and covering it up

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole
    *conspiracy theory disclaimer*
    https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/09/19/762013515/russian-lab-explosion-raises-question-should-smallpox-virus-be-kept-or-destroyed
    People are alleging the virus and vaccine was developed at this lab that blew up last September.  The explosion was designed to cover up any evidence.  This lab isn't far from the Chinese border.  
    pjl44 said:
    The meme is goofy but the claim comes from a University of Southampton study. I've seen it reported on in places more reputable than a local news channel Facebook page.

It’s too late to look back at this point though , it does nothing to help us around the world combating this killer if we get passed this as live let’s see what our fierce leader and Moscow Mitch will di about China let’s see the sanctions they impose if any! 
    Not if we want to prevent the next one
    edited March 2020
    pjl44 said:
    They closed the border to China like, at once and they have been able to send down a lot of resources and personnel to Italy.

So, Russia having fewer cases isn't all that crazy. But I haven't seen any info about it being "zero" ?

"There have been 495 cases of coronavirus infections reported in Russia so far and one death."
    https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/03/24/coronavirus-in-russia-the-latest-news-march-24-a69117

(first source found at google)

Where do you get zero from @Thoughts_Arrive ? A comments section?

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Back to the conspiracy theories?

Well I was going to say fact and link you to the below site but Russia has recently been included. I swear they weren't there last I checked.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Back to the conspiracy theories?

Well I was going to say fact and link you to the below site but Russia has recently been included. I swear they weren't there last I checked.

Well they are hardly reliable (Russia) - there is no reason to expect that to share real numbers, right?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    pjl44 said:
    They closed the border to China like, at once and they have been able to send down a lot of resources and personnel to Italy.

So, Russia having fewer cases isn't all that crazy. But I haven't seen any info about it being "zero" ?

"There have been 495 cases of coronavirus infections reported in Russia so far and one death."
    https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/03/24/coronavirus-in-russia-the-latest-news-march-24-a69117

(first source found at google)

Where do you get zero from @Thoughts_Arrive ? A comments section?

I don't remember what the number was but, yeah, I read about a number so low that it invited heavy skepticism
  • JPPJ84JPPJ84 Posts: 3,461
    Russia isn’t „just“ sending doctors to Italy to help. They’re openly saying they need to learn as well because they’re fully expecting to deal with more cases soon. Russia hasn’t tested all that much yet (according to German media)
    You'd think Russia would have a higher number being on the border with China
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,999

Russia is obviously lying, can you really not come to that conclusion on your own?

You'd think Russia would have a higher number being on the border with China
    Russia's early response measures -- such as shutting down its 2,600-mile border with China as early as January 30, and setting up quarantine zones -- may have contributed to the delay of a full-blown outbreak, some experts say.

(not saying the number reported is correct. I guess it's a situation similar to Iran and the US (Trump that is). Downplaying it)
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,309
    mrussel1 said:
    What the LIBERAL RAG The Hill does not bring up (or I missed it):

A Phoenix-area man has died and his wife was in critical condition after the couple took chloroquine phosphate, an additive used to clean fish tanks that is also found in an anti-malaria medication 
    Yes, it brought up that it was aquarium strength. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,309

Does it strike you as slightly unusual that it didn't name the "study"?
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    What the LIBERAL RAG The Hill does not bring up (or I missed it):

A Phoenix-area man has died and his wife was in critical condition after the couple took chloroquine phosphate, an additive used to clean fish tanks that is also found in an anti-malaria medication 
    Yes, it brought up that it was aquarium strength. 
    Not just "aquarium strength." They literally ate fish tank cleaner that they had in the house. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/us/chloroquine-poisoning-coronavirus.html

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,125
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

It’s too late to look back at this point though , it does nothing to help us around the world combating this killer if we get passed this as live let’s see what our fierce leader and Moscow Mitch will di about China let’s see the sanctions they impose if any! 
    Yes but let’s get passed this and see what measures are implemented here in America let’s see if this administration will hold China responsible and sanction the shit out of them , remember the Baffoon we are to trust just a few months ago was praising the Chinese leader as such as a strong leader! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Yes but let’s get passed this and see what measures are implemented here in America let’s see if this administration will hold China responsible and sanction the shit out of them , remember the Baffoon we are to trust just a few months ago was praising the Chinese leader as such as a strong leader! 
    You are absolutely right on that last point. The problem is that Biden does, too. I am both aggravated by the whole situation and not particularly optimistic that anyone is going to do anything about it. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,612
    Abe and IOC  announce Summer Olympics POSTPONED......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Even if we go down the rabbit hole of what if China could have reported it 3 weeks earlier, how would that have changed the ignorant view half the world had until it was on their doorstep knocking people dead?

How about a meme that indicates how much the virus would have been contained if our incompetent Admin (aka Trump) had taken it seriously and taken stricter measures to prevent spread like China did?

Has China done lots of shady shit over the years? Yes. Have other viruses been covered up from China to a detrimental effect? Yes (SARS). Is that the case now? Yet to be determined. Either way, this government has known for 2 months and yet couldn't put together a response worth a shit and still really hasn't. Most of the heavy lifting has been done by governors.

I'll blame the Chinese government for continued failure of curtailing the activity that keeps leading to these virus strains that are jumping species. That is their fault, but the piss poor response is on the current Admin here.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Do not blame China!
    Blame China = Racist!
    edited March 2020
    Do not blame China!
    Blame China = Racist!
    Parrot Trump = Have a filter for the thoughts_arriving
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    Do not blame China!
    Blame China = Racist!
    Besides one poster, no one has indicated holding the Chinese government accountable is racist. The problem is you've posted multiple less than reputable memes and open for interpretation statements that are part of the xenophobic rhetoric the right wing extremists have been peddling. They don't sit well with most.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,382
    edited March 2020

How an Austrian ski resort helped coronavirus spread across Europe

Freaking beer pong and whistles!!  ugh
    Entire article here: (definitely worth the read) https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/europe/austria-ski-resort-ischgl-coronavirus-intl/index.html
    "At first, we didn't understand how this many cases could have happened," Christensen, who had been briefed by experts working on Iceland's response to the pandemic, said. But a clearer picture emerged when officials worked out what was going on in some of Ischgl's tightly packed bars and clubs.
    "We realized that they exchanged saliva because they were playing beer pong," using their mouths, he said, although he did not single out any specific bars where the game took place. The game involved spitting ping pong balls out of their mouths into beer glasses, and those balls were then reused by other people.
    Lerfeldt reported that Kitzloch bartenders, including the 36-year-old who later tested positive for coronavirus, blew on a brass whistle to get people to move out of their way as they took shots to customers. Several customers also blew the whistle for fun, Lerfeldt said. "I can see why people would want to whistle it -- and nobody knew he was sick," Lerfeldt said.
    Monika Redlberger-Fritz, head of the influenza department at the Medical University of Vienna, told CNN that the way the virus spread in Ischgl means there was likely at least one person who infected a large number of other people.
    "That means that there was at least one patient who had a very high viral load, and while most people will infect two to three others on average, these people can transmit the disease to 40, 50, or 80 people." Redlberger-Fritz said that this may have cut the lead time for authorities to react by several days.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    tbergs said:
    pjl44 said:
    pjl44 said:

Even if we go down the rabbit hole of what if China could have reported it 3 weeks earlier, how would that have changed the ignorant view half the world had until it was on their doorstep knocking people dead?

How about a meme that indicates how much the virus would have been contained if our incompetent Admin (aka Trump) had taken it seriously and taken stricter measures to prevent spread like China did?

Has China done lots of shady shit over the years? Yes. Have other viruses been covered up from China to a detrimental effect? Yes (SARS). Is that the case now? Yet to be determined. Either way, this government has known for 2 months and yet couldn't put together a response worth a shit and still really hasn't. Most of the heavy lifting has been done by governors.

I'll blame the Chinese government for continued failure of curtailing the activity that keeps leading to these virus strains that are jumping species. That is their fault, but the piss poor response is on the current Admin here.
    China's response/coverup and the Trump admin's preparation/response are distinct issues with some obvious relation. Both are shaping up to be abject failures worthy of discussion simultaneously or independently.
    edited March 2020
    Too bad. I cannot control people taking my memes as right wing extremist. I know what I mean.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I was just thinking about flattening the curve, and wondering where is the end game in all this...in early-mid April, when most shutdowns are set to be reevaluated, things won't be any better... what then?  Continuation?  People are going to be getting very broke by this point, closed businesses are going to be in dire situations.  Resume normal life?  Then we are right back where we started.
       What about a rolling cycle of two to three weeks of quarantine shutdowns followed by one week cycles of relaxed limitations?
    We are never going to stop this in it's tracks, the whole country can't just shut down.  If flattening the curve is the goal, isn't this the best long term solution for that?  My thoughts at the moment are to make the shutdowns more expansive but give time in between for businesses to generate some income and people to feel some normalcy.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    mcgruff10 said:

How an Austrian ski resort helped coronavirus spread across Europe

Entire article here: (definitely worth the read) https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/europe/austria-ski-resort-ischgl-coronavirus-intl/index.html
    "At first, we didn't understand how this many cases could have happened," Christensen, who had been briefed by experts working on Iceland's response to the pandemic, said. But a clearer picture emerged when officials worked out what was going on in some of Ischgl's tightly packed bars and clubs.
    "We realized that they exchanged saliva because they were playing beer pong," using their mouths, he said, although he did not single out any specific bars where the game took place. The game involved spitting ping pong balls out of their mouths into beer glasses, and those balls were then reused by other people.
    Lerfeldt reported that Kitzloch bartenders, including the 36-year-old who later tested positive for coronavirus, blew on a brass whistle to get people to move out of their way as they took shots to customers. Several customers also blew the whistle for fun, Lerfeldt said. "I can see why people would want to whistle it -- and nobody knew he was sick," Lerfeldt said.
    Monika Redlberger-Fritz, head of the influenza department at the Medical University of Vienna, told CNN that the way the virus spread in Ischgl means there was likely at least one person who infected a large number of other people.
    "That means that there was at least one patient who had a very high viral load, and while most people will infect two to three others on average, these people can transmit the disease to 40, 50, or 80 people." Redlberger-Fritz said that this may have cut the lead time for authorities to react by several days.
    People coming home from Tyrolen (The Tyrole?) and northern Italy because of their fucking middleclass skiing trips WHEN GRETA CLEARLY TOLD US TO CHILL WITH THE FLYING are worse than China.

GRETA TOLD US.
This discussion has been closed.