Stubhub and such

Comments

• Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    edited January 2020

Saltzy23 said:
    This MSG show is the most expensive concert ticket I have ever seen in my life relative to face value.

2X-3X face is pretty rare.

This is 5X face at the LOW END of the spectrum.

Absolutely insane.

The AVERAGE SOLD PRICE IS $712.58 SO FAR!

Someone bought 2 seats today for $3,213 EACH BEFORE FEES!

How did you find that info? I use StubHub a lot and never saw that.

Post edited by Ryan_WFC on
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    Ryan_WFC said:
    BruceU2PJ said:
    Ryan_WFC said:
    The bottom line is there's no system that would give tickets to everyone who wants them. So put me down for the one that offers the most tickets at face value.
    At least with Stubhub you have the opportunity available to you, if you want. Better than being a 3 time loser with Baltimore this week when I live 25 minutes away.  
    I get that. But with StubHub in play there would have been way more "losers" in the

Saltzy23 said:
    This MSG show is the most expensive concert ticket I have ever seen in my life relative to face value.

Absolutely insane.

Act like you are trying to create a listing for sale. Eventually you will get to the page where you price your tickets, and there will be a link that says "more pricing info" or something like that. It will bring up that screen where you can peruse the recent sales.
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,706
    AlaG said:
    I have never seen ticket prices like what's on stub hub MSG. Four digits for anything front of stage 100s AND 200s. 

Not the super bowl

Not The Stones

Not The Pope

Nothing close.

There are at least 10,000 folks in NYC that can drop 4 grand like they're buying a happy meal. I'm sure a couple like Pearl Jam.

Yup. I live in NYC. We have a skewed point of view of what things should cost. People outside of NYC think what I pay for rent on my small apartment is crazy. People in NYC think I scored a great deal on rent. It's all relative.
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,350
    Ryan_WFC said:
    BruceU2PJ said:
    Ryan_WFC said:
    The bottom line is there's no system that would give tickets to everyone who wants them. So put me down for the one that offers the most tickets at face value.
    At least with Stubhub you have the opportunity available to you, if you want. Better than being a 3 time loser with Baltimore this week when I live 25 minutes away.  
    I get that. But with StubHub in play there would have been way more "losers" in the

Saltzy23 said:

Absolutely insane.

"Sell" tickets to the show and when you get to the pricing screen it has a 'View other listings" link at the top.
    'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • TN49724TN49724 Posts: 102
    One thing that is clearly happening is PJ fans who have finally gotten to a point in their life (older, which when you get older, usually u make more, not always) where they can now travel and pay for tix they couldn’t afford when they were 20 years old.  For some people, a weekend in NYC and a 3 hour PJ show is worth what other people would pay for a week vacation in Europe, or whatever (pick ur spot). People thought I was crazy to drive to Ottawa from Ohio to see PJ.  Literally had ppl laughing that I was losing my mind.  

That said, $11k is flat out absurd for a show.  Straight nuts.
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    Saltzy23 said:
    Ryan_WFC said:
    BruceU2PJ said:
    Ryan_WFC said:

Saltzy23 said:

Absolutely insane.

"Sell" tickets to the show and when you get to the pricing screen it has a 'View other listings" link at the top.

Thanks!
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Got offered $2500 for 1 ticket Wrig 13. 2 steps away from the will call window. Field M row 2.  Never woulda considered it.
    Got offered $2500 for 1 ticket Wrig 13. 2 steps away from the will call window. Field M row 2.  Never woulda considered it.
    I've been through several versions of this. Once I came dangerously close to selling a pair of $20 face value baseball tickets for ~$800, for a non-playoff game on a cold & rainy weeknight. Then I had my epiphany: I'll never be telling my kids the story of the time I made $760 on StubHub. Always take the experience over the money.
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • korn-1korn-1 Posts: 930
    I'd say i buy ~90% of my tickets off resale sites (stubhub, seatgeek, axs, facebook, etc) and almost never pay face or above. Often times I get them for around half the Ticketmaster cost. Helps that I live in LA so I dont have to travel for most tours, and people here are flakey as hell, but I work the system in my favor and am able to get into a lot of shows that I have no business being at with my finances.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    one question for those who are against Stub Hub and secondary market.   What if every band limited tickets to only their fan club with no reselling allowed?  If you are into live music do you want to make it that you have to join the fan club just for the possibility of seeing said band live with no guarantee you will win a lottery to get into seeing that band?  It (somewhat) works under the Pearl Jam umbrella but in reality it's a bad precedent being set for fans limiting tickets in this manner.  that's just my opinion and i could be wrong...but i'm not :bring_it:
  • HH140540HH140540 Posts: 543
    BruceU2PJ said:
    Ryan_WFC said:
    This^^. Baltimore was my 1st priority and got shutout through all avenues. Would be nice to have the option. Interested to see how the fan-fan exchange is. Can't imagine there will be a lot available. 
  • HH140540HH140540 Posts: 543
    Jed said:
    RS65573 said:
    I had someone offer me $4000 cash for my MSG tickets in 08. I didnt take it. What will it be now?
    I doubt you'll get much for 2008 tickets 12 years after the show occurred.
    Nicely done!
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    HH140540 said:
    Jed said:
    RS65573 said:
    I had someone offer me $4000 cash for my MSG tickets in 08. I didnt take it. What will it be now?
    I doubt you'll get much for 2008 tickets 12 years after the show occurred.
    Nicely done!
    I bet the stubs get $30 each on ebay! 
  • Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,350
    I had the 2 cheapest MSG that have sold tickets in my cart yesterday for like 5 seconds and said 'Eh, fuck it' and let em go.

$199 ea for Sec 416 before fees.

That was a tremendous miscalculation on my part.

'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    pjhawks said:
    one question for those who are against Stub Hub and secondary market.   What if every band limited tickets to only their fan club with no reselling allowed?  If you are into live music do you want to make it that you have to join the fan club just for the possibility of seeing said band live with no guarantee you will win a lottery to get into seeing that band?  It (somewhat) works under the Pearl Jam umbrella but in reality it's a bad precedent being set for fans limiting tickets in this manner.  that's just my opinion and i could be wrong...but i'm not :bring_it:
    I'd much rather tix all go to die hards at a fair-ish price as opposed to a mix of fans and casuals that can afford to drop 4x face value on SH. But of course there is no totally fair system. People will always get shut out.
  • pjhawks said:
    TM Fan-to-Fan is technically a secondary market, just with rules you can't sell for higher than face+fees, fans can resell to fans no scalping. If you wanna sell at lower price than I think that would be allowed.  Stubhub Tickets exists because of Scalping. Fan-to-Fan is the way to go for concerts at least. Sports is a different animal.
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322
    Saltzy23 said:
    I had the 2 cheapest MSG that have sold tickets in my cart yesterday for like 5 seconds and said 'Eh, fuck it' and let em go.

Fuck. I hope they come back down. 
  • ejk1280ejk1280 Posts: 84
    nicknyr15 said:
    Saltzy23 said:

Fuck. I hope they come back down. 
    Not likely unfortunately    Supply at all time low
  • pjhawks said:
    100%

Stubhub is full of tickets for way under face value - fees included.  Nobody complains about Stubhub when they get a MLB baseball ticket for $8 that has a face value of $50.00.  This is purely a supply and demand situation. With the 10c getting the vast majority of the seats, they never hit the secondary market.  High demand + less than average supply = skyrocket prices.  Had these tickets been sold via the traditional avenues there would be 2k-3k tickets on stubhub for every market and prices would be way lower.
    Gorge
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    pjhawks said:
    TM Fan-to-Fan is technically a secondary market, just with rules you can't sell for higher than face+fees, fans can resell to fans no scalping. If you wanna sell at lower price than I think that would be allowed.  Stubhub Tickets exists because of Scalping. Fan-to-Fan is the way to go for concerts at least. Sports is a different animal.
    how many fan club members do you think are going to sell on this fan to fan thing?  very few i'd imagine.
  • JedJed New York City Posts: 1,175
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    how many fan club members do you think are going to sell on this fan to fan thing?  very few i'd imagine.
    I have some Ottawa tickets I already need to get rid of, so those will be going on the fan exchange.
  • MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669
    tdawe said:
    Ryan_WFC said:
    BruceU2PJ said:
    Ryan_WFC said:

Saltzy23 said:

Absolutely insane.

Act like you are trying to create a listing for sale. Eventually you will get to the page where you price your tickets, and there will be a link that says "more pricing info" or something like that. It will bring up that screen where you can peruse the recent sales.
    what was the cheapest ticket sold?
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    There are always members looking to unload extras. But I have a theory that resellers were active on these tickets yesterday & today without realizing they wouldn’t be able to list them on StubHub, and those are going to flow through the exchange when it opens as they cut losses. 
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    tdawe said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    There are always members looking to unload extras. But I have a theory that resellers were active on these tickets yesterday & today without realizing they wouldn’t be able to list them on StubHub, and those are going to flow through the exchange when it opens as they cut losses. 
    There will be less extras this year as folks were allowed to submit a request for a single ticket.
  • pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    I didn't say 10C only tix, I meant tickets bought either thru fan club or TM can be put on a  "Fan-to-Fan" exchange at Face or below value.
  • pjhawks said:
    100%

Stubhub is full of tickets for way under face value - fees included.  Nobody complains about Stubhub when they get a MLB baseball ticket for $8 that has a face value of $50.00.  This is purely a supply and demand situation. With the 10c getting the vast majority of the seats, they never hit the secondary market.  High demand + less than average supply = skyrocket prices.  Had these tickets been sold via the traditional avenues there would be 2k-3k tickets on stubhub for every market and prices would be way lower.
    Sports is a different animal compared to Concerts, but could work in the same. If ticketmaster, or who ever is the ticket provider for the event also sets up a "fan-to-fan" site where tickets can only be sold for face or under, then its the same thing of what your talking about, I'm only saying to eliminate the scalping of tickets. 
  • tdawe said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:

The good thing for scalpers is that with the no fee fan 2 fan exchange, there are no losses assuming someone picks up the tickets for face.  As you mentioned, if scalpers can’t figure out how to sell the tickets, they can just unload on the fan exchange.  No harm done, no losses taken.  Just don’t expect to see much for Msg

Gorge
  • MD190661MD190661 Posts: 394
    pjhawks said:
    100%

"Had these tickets been sold via the traditional avenues there would be 2k-3k tickets on stubhub for every market and prices would be way lower."
    You think it's better if bots/scalpers can access tickets before fans? For most markets, only fans got tickets. Not seeing the problem with this. If PJ played 4 nights at MSG instead of one and NY didn't give in the scalping, there would be tickets for 90% of fans to see at least 1 show. 

I am a fan of supply and demand, but fans aren't on the same playing field as scalpers when it comes to buying tickets. 
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24, 5/25/24

• MD190661 said:
    pjhawks said:
    100%

"Had these tickets been sold via the traditional avenues there would be 2k-3k tickets on stubhub for every market and prices would be way lower."
    You think it's better if bots/scalpers can access tickets before fans? For most markets, only fans got tickets. Not seeing the problem with this. If PJ played 4 nights at MSG instead of one and NY didn't give in the scalping, there would be tickets for 90% of fans to see at least 1 show. 

I am a fan of supply and demand, but fans aren't on the same playing field as scalpers when it comes to buying tickets. 
    I think PJ has done a great job in preventing scalpers from getting many tickets.  The downside of that of course is the lack of availability on the secondary market, which naturally, is going to drive up prices.  Especially in a city like New York with plenty of high net-worth individuals.  PJ succeeded in keeping a few thousand tickets off of the secondary market, but at what cost?  I was granted 10c tickets, so I’m on the inside looking out but if I were without tickets, I’d rather see 2k tickets on Stubhub vs 200.
    Gorge
  • ejk1280ejk1280 Posts: 84
    MD190661 said:
    pjhawks said:
    100%

I think PJ has done a great job in preventing scalpers from getting many tickets.  The downside of that of course is the lack of availability on the secondary market, which naturally, is going to drive up prices.  Especially in a city like New York with plenty of high net-worth individuals.  PJ succeeded in keeping a few thousand tickets off of the secondary market, but at what cost?  I was granted 10c tickets, so I’m on the inside looking out but if I were without tickets, I’d rather see 2k tickets on Stubhub vs 200.
    Correct.  But popular opinion around here is that you are a horrible person if you have enough money to pay for a marked up ticket.