Stubhub and such

Comments

• Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Well there are still 2,000+ people in front of me according to Ticketmaster for MSG. The waiting rooms and queues on Ticketmaster are bullshit. I liked it back in the day when everyone was panicking and hitting refresh at 9:59am. I liked the combination of skill and luck. Now it's just communist...
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    Jammin909 said:
    Well there are still 2,000+ people in front of me according to Ticketmaster for MSG. The waiting rooms and queues on Ticketmaster are bullshit. I liked it back in the day when everyone was panicking and hitting refresh at 9:59am. I liked the combination of skill and luck. Now it's just communist...
    Yep, Ticketmaster = communism. Checks out. 
  • JBob87JBob87 Posts: 457
    edited January 2020
    pjhawks said:
    Limiting  or eliminating the secondary market is a good deal for the band but it's not a good thing for the consumer. how many people shut out would like the opportunity to buy tickets on the secondary market? this guy for one. would love the opportunity to decide if I want to pay the cost to see the Baltimore show since I lost on the 10C lottery.  Eliminating the secondary market is not good for the consumer.  
    I completely agree with you. I fully support doing everything possible to cut out the bots on the front end but eliminating the secondary market is bad for fans.
    Post edited by JBob87 on
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:
    Limiting  or eliminating the secondary market is a good deal for the band but it's not a good thing for the consumer. how many people shut out would like the opportunity to buy tickets on the secondary market? this guy for one. would love the opportunity to decide if I want to pay the cost to see the Baltimore show since I lost on the 10C lottery.  Eliminating the secondary market is not good for the consumer.  

If you eliminate the secondary market, there is no incentive for scalpers/agencies to buy up the tickets, thus, more are going into consumers' hands. This is a good thing. Sadly, demand for these tickets is still VERY high, meaning many still just don't get tickets.
    Overall the secondary market is a good thing for the consumers.   
    No, stop. If you added up all the tickets sold, with fees, I guarantee the total value sold exceeds the total face value of those tickets. You can't hold up a few shows with below-market value tickets because those are not the bulk of the volume.
    how is giving more people more access to tickets a bad thing?  again look outside the PJ bubble. is it not a better idea to have the opportunity to see other bands by choosing a secondary market option?  Especially in today's world where shows are being put on sale up to a year ahead of time. sorry for groups I am not insanely crazy about, like PJ, I am not buying tickets a year ahead of time. give me the chance to buy a month out and get whatever level of tickets at a price I want to spend to see that show.  that's my thought process.
    Nothing says "access" like tickets marked up 2000%. 
    well yea duh.  ACCESS is having the opportunity to say yes or no to paying 2000% of the ticket price. when there are zero tickets on a secondary market that would be NO ACCESS.   not complicated.

I'm not paying 2000% of a ticket price...but as least i have the choice to decide if i want to or not.  right now I have zero ability to obtain tickets to Baltimore because it wasn't my 1st priority show.   and rarely have i've seen tickets at 2000% of cost as you get closer to a show. 

• JBob87JBob87 Posts: 457
    BV84003 said:
    pjhawks said:
    That's why they have the Fan to Fan Face Value Exchange.
    Sure but that’s going to create problems too. It incentives people with good seats to hold as long as possible, limiting supply in Feb/Mar for those who have to make travel plans. Also will be a months long F5 struggle. 

And for for those with poor seats they might not even be able to move their tickets because everyone will be waiting for better seats to pop up for the same price.

we’ll see how it works but I’m skeptical.
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:

If you eliminate the secondary market, there is no incentive for scalpers/agencies to buy up the tickets, thus, more are going into consumers' hands. This is a good thing. Sadly, demand for these tickets is still VERY high, meaning many still just don't get tickets.
    No, stop. If you added up all the tickets sold, with fees, I guarantee the total value sold exceeds the total face value of those tickets. You can't hold up a few shows with below-market value tickets because those are not the bulk of the volume.
    how is giving more people more access to tickets a bad thing?  again look outside the PJ bubble. is it not a better idea to have the opportunity to see other bands by choosing a secondary market option?  Especially in today's world where shows are being put on sale up to a year ahead of time. sorry for groups I am not insanely crazy about, like PJ, I am not buying tickets a year ahead of time. give me the chance to buy a month out and get whatever level of tickets at a price I want to spend to see that show.  that's my thought process.

edit: not sure how everyone can hate ticketmaster so much...but then want them to be the only place to buy tickets from.  strange isn't it?

so i just tried ticketmaster for baltimore - right at 10:00 and already 2,000 people in front of me in their queque.  and this is a good system for consumers?  puh-leeze

Take the 10Club out of this, as they secured "more tickets for the club than ever before". Let's say the entire arena is open to a public sale. Day of, you log on to TM, you'll be behind "2000+" people, and may still not get tickets. This is the system we've lived with for the past however long we've had online ticketing. This is why you've HAD to turn to the StubHub and buy tickets from the agents who were able to scoop up all of those tickets before you even had a chance.

I don't want TM to be the only source, but it is what it is, and I have no power to change that.

And there's still a secondary market. There's the Fan to Fan sale in February, and if people truly want to sell tickets, they will find a way.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:

well yea duh.  ACCESS is having the opportunity to say yes or no to paying 2000% of the ticket price. when there are zero tickets on a secondary market that would be NO ACCESS.   not complicated.

I'm not paying 2000% of a ticket price...but as least i have the choice to decide if i want to or not.  right now I have zero ability to obtain tickets to Baltimore because it wasn't my 1st priority show.   and rarely have i've seen tickets at 2000% of cost as you get closer to a show. 

Oh, cool, you just meant access for yourself. Carry on. 
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    ecdanc said:
    Jammin909 said:

Referring to the process not the company. 
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Jammin909 said:
    ecdanc said:
    Jammin909 said:

How is any of this communism? If anything this is capitalism at its finest.
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:

huh how is that access for myself? Everyone has the opportunity for those tickets and their choice to pay or not.  again for most shows I think it's a good thing.  How many shows do you really think the price is ABOVE normal ticket price on Stub Hub?  Yes for Pearl Jam but for most acts it is not that way. more often than not the secondary market is better for consumer.
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:

huh how is that access for myself? Everyone has the opportunity for those tickets and their choice to pay or not.  again for most shows I think it's a good thing.  How many shows do you really think the price is ABOVE normal ticket price on Stub Hub?  Yes for Pearl Jam but for most acts it is not that way. more often than not the secondary market is better for consumer.
    I regularly give a lecture on negative liberty vs. positive liberty. You should sit in sometime. 
    Jammin909 said:
    ecdanc said:
    Jammin909 said:

I'm not sure you understand communism very well. 
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:

I regularly give a lecture on negative liberty vs. positive liberty. You should sit in sometime. 
    I would. do you have any youtube video of that? seriously i'd watch it. be cool to see.

i'm just giving my opinion of someone who has lived through the changes in obtaining tickets.  having stub hub available has been good in my opinion. eliminating makes it harder.  it is going backwards in my opinion.  
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:

I would. do you have any youtube video of that? seriously i'd watch it. be cool to see.

i'm just giving my opinion of someone who has lived through the changes in obtaining tickets.  having stub hub available has been good in my opinion. eliminating makes it harder.  it is going backwards in my opinion.  
    I will soon. I think I'm teaching that class online next fall; only ever taught it in person, so no video yet. 
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:

I will soon. I think I'm teaching that class online next fall; only ever taught it in person, so no video yet. 
    nice, would be cool to see. sounds like a great topic.

here is my thought process.  yesterday in Philly they announced that Roger Waters will be playing in July here. I right now have no idea what I will be doing on July 10th or whatever the date is.  I would be interested in seeing that show but not a decision I am going to make between now and next Friday when tickets go on sale.  I'd love the opportunity in June , after i know my schedule, to decide if i am interested in going to that show, and at what price I'd be willing to pay at that time.  to me as a consumer i think that's a good option to have.
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:

nice, would be cool to see. sounds like a great topic.

here is my thought process.  yesterday in Philly they announced that Roger Waters will be playing in July here. I right now have no idea what I will be doing on July 10th or whatever the date is.  I would be interested in seeing that show but not a decision I am going to make between now and next Friday when tickets go on sale.  I'd love the opportunity in June , after i know my schedule, to decide if i am interested in going to that show, and at what price I'd be willing to pay at that time.  to me as a consumer i think that's a good option to have.
    I understand that perspective; I just think it's a little blindered. PJ seems to want to put as many tickets *at face value* into their fans' hands, so that people who can't afford the markup aren't competing with people/companies who buy the tickets you're looking at just before the show. I agree with that approach and humbly suggest it's a preferable form of access for all but the few who can drop $2000+ on MSG tickets. 
  • pjhawks said:
    It should be replaced with a better option. F2F might be that suitable option.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,586
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    ecdanc said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:

I don't think I have ever paid below face on Stubhub. I've been close to face, but for the most part you eat a slight mark up that you as the consumer are willing to pay to ensure you can go. Each of us has our own limit to how much we are willing to pay so it's still a crap shoot and a semi-ripoff in most cases unless you live in the area, have no kids or job conflicts and can just swoop in 24 hours before and buy tickets when someone is finally willing to dump them or risk getting nothing. And even then, some still won't drop prices. There are probably people who travel to some of these shows in hopes they score lower priced tickets the day of and that works for them, but I don't think it's a very fan friendly service. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • reyrey Posts: 280
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:

edit: not sure how everyone can hate ticketmaster so much...but then want them to be the only place to buy tickets from.  strange isn't it?

so i just tried ticketmaster for baltimore - right at 10:00 and already 2,000 people in front of me in their queque.  and this is a good system for consumers?  puh-leeze
    Secondary market options are ideal. But the one we're sitting on leads to price gouging - downsides outweigh the upsides.

It was better when we bought off Kijiji or the guy in front of the show.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems to me that without the ability to transfer these tickets, everyone who purchased during the original on-sale is planning to actually use them (and not re-sell).  Yes, the people who got shut out would certainly like the opportunity to purchase on the secondary market if they can afford it, but if all the tickets are purchased by people who will use them then there is nothing to put up for sale on the secondary market anyway. 

I think Pearl Jam's goal was to have all tickets sold in the original sale to people who will actually use them.  They are trying to keep out the purchasers who's only intent is to re-sell them and make money. 

• tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    pjhawks said:
    It should be replaced with a better option. F2F might be that suitable option.
    This. Nobody knows yet what this exchange is going to look like. It might be a useless shit show. Or it might work perfectly and give people a chance to score tickets without paying scalpers. I'm not super hopeful, but I'm reserving judgment until I see it in action.
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    rey said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:

Secondary market options are ideal. But the one we're sitting on leads to price gouging - downsides outweigh the upsides.

Maybe I'm missing something but it seems to me that without the ability to transfer these tickets, everyone who purchased during the original on-sale is planning to actually use them (and not re-sell).  Yes, the people who got shut out would certainly like the opportunity to purchase on the secondary market if they can afford it, but if all the tickets are purchased by people who will use them then there is nothing to put up for sale on the secondary market anyway. 

I think Pearl Jam's goal was to have all tickets sold in the original sale to people who will actually use them.  They are trying to keep out the purchasers who's only intent is to re-sell them and make money. 

This. Exactly this.
    It sucks to not get tickets in the lottery/pre-sale/general sale, but remove the ego from it, and you'll realize that WAY more "real" fans got tickets over bots/scalpers/agencies, and that is nothing but a good thing.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,533
    rey said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:

I think you nailed it. What is available for msg stub hub is a tiny fraction of what is normally there for any other show. PJ clearly doesn’t want their tickets sold for huge marked up prices.

the irony is, since ny metro is ten times the size of everywhere else, there’s usually not enough shows here, and ny is one of the few places that insist on resale...and everyone and his MIL seem to want to travel here...

all this compounds to create absurdly high resale prices for msg, exactly what they don’t want. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322
    rey said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:

I think you nailed it. What is available for msg stub hub is a tiny fraction of what is normally there for any other show. PJ clearly doesn’t want their tickets sold for huge marked up prices.

the irony is, since ny metro is ten times the size of everywhere else, there’s usually not enough shows here, and ny is one of the few places that insist on resale...and everyone and his MIL seem to want to travel here...

all this compounds to create absurdly high resale prices for msg, exactly what they don’t want. 
    Exactly. 
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    weird experience......

Due to these conversations, I went on stubhub, MSG, and took a look.   I have no intention of going, I just wanted to see the prices, locations and the comments on the tickets.  I grabbed 2 random tickets, that were about 450 per ticket, put them in my cart to see the totals, etc. 

I left them there.  Closed the window.  Forgot about it.  

I got a call 10 minutes later from a guy at Stubhub, and he said, "Hey we saw that you were interested in some pearl jam tickets at madison square garden, just wanted to see if you are still interested, also wanted to let you know that we have a discount for our members, so please give me a call back and let's see what we can do."
    wtf
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Vedd Hedd said:
    weird experience......

Due to these conversations, I went on stubhub, MSG, and took a look.   I have no intention of going, I just wanted to see the prices, locations and the comments on the tickets.  I grabbed 2 random tickets, that were about 450 per ticket, put them in my cart to see the totals, etc. 

I got a call 10 minutes later from a guy at Stubhub, and he said, "Hey we saw that you were interested in some pearl jam tickets at madison square garden, just wanted to see if you are still interested, also wanted to let you know that we have a discount for our members, so please give me a call back and let's see what we can do."
    wtf
    It does suck that by being on the internet we opted into things like this.
    Vedd Hedd said:
    weird experience......

wtf
    Yeah, it was just also strange about the "discount"....
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    weird experience......

wtf
    Right?  What exactly do they have the power to discount?  If it’s more than just fees, that’s... fishy. 

May just be fees though. Does StubHub calculate fees from ticket price?  I honestly don’t remember. 
  • Vedd Hedd said:
    weird experience......

wtf
    I think they are hurting. Platinum and dynamic pricing will soon put them out of business.
  • LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    Lostpawn said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    weird experience......

wtf
    Right?  What exactly do they have the power to discount?  If it’s more than just fees, that’s... fishy. 

May just be fees though. Does StubHub calculate fees from ticket price?  I honestly don’t remember. 
    Edit: sorry, I should have Googled first.  They charge 10%. That would be hundreds of dollars for some of these seats. Plenty of opportunity to discount. 
    Lostpawn said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    weird experience......

wtf

yeah, i was curious if it was a fee waiver, or like a one time coupon or something.  I didnt call back.   
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission