Stubhub and such

Comments

• ejk1280ejk1280 Posts: 84
    You have to appreciate what the band has attempted to accomplish here.  All but two shows are sold out and no legal or “traditional” secondary market even available to buy at an inflated cost.  Unfortunately for those of us not lucky enough to win 10c tickets or verified fan etc. we now have essentially a zero percent chance of seeing them outside of Denver if NYC.  

So right now if you were shutout you have two opportunities to attend a show on this first leg NYC and Denver.  If you live west of the Mississippi lucky for you Denver is still affordable.  If you reasonably can only get to NYC.  Then get ready for spending the most you have spent on a crappy seat ever.  $500 is the cheapest seat available.  

So once again yes it’s great 10c had the largest allotment ever.  Yes it’s great they eliminated the secondary market (for all but two shows). But not so great when you didn’t luck out in lotteries.   

At this point it’s cheaper for me to fly to Denver and see a show then drive a few hours and pay thru the nose for NYC.  But that’s the best option right now I think.  Who knows maybe ticket prices drop but inventory is low and nuts like us are desperate.  
  • AlaGAlaG Posts: 976
    edited January 2020
    Folks compaining about not having access to any tickets through StubHub need to check their priviledge.

Being able to afford $400 tickets is a pipe dream for so many fans of this band and it seems like PJ has bargained with the TM behemoth to make attending their shows possible for more folks than ever before by providing a tremendous amount of FV tickets through 10C, avoiding a situation where just those of us who have the luxury to blow thousands on show tickets get them.

I get it. You get to go to less shows and that objectively sucks...for you. But it's a win for this band. A win for folks who do not have that luxury. A win for fair market practice and ethical consumerism. Its funny how this fanbase walks the walk and stands up for what's right until it gets in the way of them getting concert tickets.
  • How greasy do you have to be to work for StubHub?
  • How greasy do you have to be to work for StubHub?
    I could say that about hundreds of thousands of jobs...people gotta work. Very few jobs are super noble.
    AlaG said:
    Folks compaining about not having access to any tickets through StubHub need to check their priviledge.

Being able to afford $400 tickets is a pipe dream for so many fans of this band and it seems like PJ has bargained with the TM behemoth to make attending their shows possible for more folks than ever before by providing a tremendous amount of FV tickets through 10C, avoiding a situation where just those of us who have the luxury to blow thousands on show tickets get them.

I get it. You get to go to less shows and that objectively sucks...for you. But it's a win for this band. A win for folks who do not have that luxury. A win for fair market practice and ethical consumerism. Its funny how this fanbase walks the walk and stands up for what's right until it gets in the way of them getting concert tickets.
    It’s certainly an interesting argument.  Lottery vs what you are willing to pay.  I don’t know if there is a right answer here .....
  • BennyLaRueBennyLaRue Posts: 751
    edited January 2020
    How greasy do you have to be to work for StubHub?
    I could say that about hundreds of thousands of jobs...people gotta work. Very few jobs are super noble.
    Sure but organ thieves, small-town sheriffs who enforce no-dancing ordinances and Joel Osteen aren't exactly topical.
    Post edited by BennyLaRue on
  • MD190661MD190661 Posts: 394
    All I know is there were lots of lower level seats for both Oakland shows when I got into the VF sale. Of course this is a lower demand show than MSG, but if scalpers had an incentive to buy tickets, there would have been nothing but upper garbage 5 minutes after the sale started. 
    10/1/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 9/16/96, 7/22/98, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/1/05, 7/15/06, 7/18/06, 8/28/09, 10/07/09, 10/3/12, 11/26/13, 6/18/18, 8/10/18, 5/12/22, 5/13/22, 5/13/24, 5/25/24

• mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    MD190661 said:
    All I know is there were lots of lower level seats for both Oakland shows when I got into the VF sale. Of course this is a lower demand show than MSG, but if scalpers had an incentive to buy tickets, there would have been nothing but upper garbage 5 minutes after the sale started. 

Exactly. I bought general public tickets for Tampa in 2016, a show that I think was in lower demand. Best we could do was either nosebleeds in the far endzone or behind the stage.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
    ejk1280 said:
    AlaG said:

It’s certainly an interesting argument.  Lottery vs what you are willing to pay.  I don’t know if there is a right answer here .....
    What you are able to pay.

I get that concerts are a luxury product to begin with but its totally against this band and what they stand for to only provide this experience to the highest bidders.
  • luismota123luismota123 Posts: 161
    edited January 2020
    I thought I read in one of the emails from 10c that based on the new partnership with tm, no tickets would be available on secondary resale sites like stubhub. What happened to that because stubhub seems to be full of tickets

Outside of CN, NY, and CO...No PJ tickets being sold on Stubhub in NA. 
    Sucks for NY and CO, but I like this since scalpers can't make money in other states, hopefully NY and CO adopt new laws. 
    AlaG said:
    ejk1280 said:
    AlaG said:

I get that concerts are a luxury product to begin with but its totally against this band and what they stand for to only provide this experience to the highest bidders.
    Clearly we have two different views.  Cheers
    ejk1280 said:
    AlaG said:
    ejk1280 said:
    AlaG said:

I get that. I don't respect it. As yours gives precedence to wealthy and priviledged individuals over everyone else. But sure...cheers.
  • TN49724TN49724 Posts: 102
    AlaG said:

You make a good argument, but you assume worth is  an isolated variable. Everyone has a value they assign to certain luxuries.  They same ppl who can’t afford to pay $400 a ticket may also be wasting tons of money in other areas of their life which leaves them with less to spend on on tickets.  They want to pay $103.00 because that’s what THEY are willing to pay.  Meanwhile, someone else might jump at the opportunity to pay $400 a ticket because that’s what a ticket to them is worth because they have managed their personal budget in a way that frees up extra disposable income.  

That takes forethought and discipline.  Not everyone has that.
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    The bottom line is there's no system that would give tickets to everyone who wants them. So put me down for the one that offers the most tickets at face value.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    TN49724 said:
    AlaG said:

You make a good argument, but you assume worth is  an isolated variable. Everyone has a value they assign to certain luxuries.  They same ppl who can’t afford to pay $400 a ticket may also be wasting tons of money in other areas of their life which leaves them with less to spend on on tickets.  They want to pay $103.00 because that’s what THEY are willing to pay.  Meanwhile, someone else might jump at the opportunity to pay $400 a ticket because that’s what a ticket to them is worth because they have managed their personal budget in a way that frees up extra disposable income.  

I dont think people argue that as much...as much as they hate the idea of a 3rd party buying tickets with the SOLE reason of jacking up the price and reselling it at a higher price. 

I would rather pay PJ directly 300 bucks for a ticket, than pay PJ 100 and a scalper/stubhub 200.  
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Ryan_WFC said:
    The bottom line is there's no system that would give tickets to everyone who wants them. So put me down for the one that offers the most tickets at face value.
    100%
  • JBob87JBob87 Posts: 457
    AlaG said:
    ejk1280 said:
    AlaG said:
    ejk1280 said:
    AlaG said:

I get that. I don't respect it. As yours gives precedence to wealthy and priviledged individuals over everyone else. But sure...cheers.
    It doesn’t take “wealth or privilege” this isn’t a yacht it takes a little bit of planning. I’ve put $20 into a savings account every paycheck since the last arena tour four years ago for the exact purpose of getting good seats the next time PJ played arenas.

Want to talk about privilege, how about the privilege of paying the same price for nosebleeds with my 10c number as front row sides and never having a chance at good seats in perpetuity just due to when I was born. Sorry I couldn’t have a 10c membership when I was 8 years old in 1998.
  • Ryan_WFC said:
    At least with Stubhub you have the opportunity available to you, if you want. Better than being a 3 time loser with Baltimore this week when I live 25 minutes away.  
    AlaG said:
    ejk1280 said:
    AlaG said:
    ejk1280 said:
    AlaG said:

Of course you don’t “respect” it.  Because there is only one view on everything right?
  • Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    BruceU2PJ said:
    Ryan_WFC said:
    At least with Stubhub you have the opportunity available to you, if you want. Better than being a 3 time loser with Baltimore this week when I live 25 minutes away.  
    LOL I'm a three time loser with Denver this week. I live ten mins away!
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    ejk1280 said:
    AlaG said:
    ejk1280 said:
    AlaG said:
    ejk1280 said:
    AlaG said:

Of course you don’t “respect” it.  Because there is only one view on everything right?
    You’re entitled (pun intended) to your position. And we’re free to think it is selfish and reeking of privilege. 
    TN49724 said:
    AlaG said:

I definitely recognize your point. Perhaps the economic dividing line StubHub draws between fans is more marginal than I've made it out to be in some cases.

I managed to pay my way into some NYC shows a couple of times thru StubHub and pay travel expenses when I was in college, working part time for minimum wage, and simultaneously paying student loans. I definitely wasn't wealthy at the time. But there are fans of this band in worse circumstances who got tickets to MSG this time around, I guarantee it. And I'm glad that its been made easier for them to have that opportunity.

I do at the very least imagine the band sees it as I've laid it out in my prior comment.
    edited January 2020
    JBob87 said:
    AlaG said:
    ejk1280 said:
    AlaG said:
    ejk1280 said:
    AlaG said:

It doesn’t take “wealth or privilege” this isn’t a yacht it takes a little bit of planning. I’ve put $20 into a savings account every paycheck since the last arena tour four years ago for the exact purpose of getting good seats the next time PJ played arenas.

Want to talk about privilege, how about the privilege of paying the same price for nosebleeds with my 10c number as front row sides and never having a chance at good seats in perpetuity just due to when I was born. Sorry I couldn’t have a 10c membership when I was 8 years old in 1998.
    The fan club ensures it continues receiving money to function by providing that priviledge. And you bought into it knowing that's how it's supposed to work. It's not the best comparison. It isn't fair though, objectively. I get that. And am a victim as well. That's why the band offers GA and occasionally gives you a chance to be in the front few rows at all seats shows.
    JBob87 said:
    AlaG said:
    ejk1280 said:
    AlaG said:
    ejk1280 said:
    AlaG said:

I think plenty of people would consider it "privilege" to have your ability to save 20 bucks from every paycheck for a concert.  
    ejk1280 said:
    AlaG said:
    ejk1280 said:
    AlaG said:
    ejk1280 said:
    AlaG said:

No. Yours is just self-serving and inconsiderate. You're free to have it. I'm free to think what I want about it.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,951
    Am I missing something or isn't the Fan-To-Fan exchange the secondary market? 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• BennyLaRueBennyLaRue Posts: 751
    edited January 2020
    on2legs said:
    It is but some people think it's communism or some crap like that.
    on2legs said:
    If only. 
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    edited January 2020
    on2legs said:
    Right now I think most people are operating under the assumption that the Fan-To-Fan exchange will essentially be the experience we all had yesterday & this morning, but lasting for an entire month+. Not sure if that will be the case, but I think that's why people are prematurely upset about there not being a resale market (that or they didn't do the reading and don't know about the exchange).

I, for one, am pretty encouraged by the fact that the non-NY/CO shows do not seem to have shown up for resale in large numbers yet. A couple here and there, but not a lot. If the scalpers had a plan for how to beat this thing, there would be tons of listings right now that would pop up on a google search for "pearl jam baltimore tickets" or what have you. It's possible - not assured or even very likely, but possible - that the scalpers/brokers aren't any better at reading emails than a lot of the posters on this board, and that they snapped up their usual share of the tickets only to find themselves stuck. Which, if true, could lead to a situation where there is a bunch of inventory when the exchanges open up, which will get snapped up immediately, followed by a couple weeks of relative quiet before the "oh crap I just realized my wedding is scheduled for the same day" crowd shows up to dump their tickets at the last minute. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
    ecdanc said:
    on2legs said:
    If only. 
     =)