Stubhub and such

I thought I read in one of the emails from 10c that based on the new partnership with tm, no tickets would be available on secondary resale sites like stubhub. What happened to that because stubhub seems to be full of tickets

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322
    No idea. Like I’ve posted in other threads 
    $1800 upper level msg 
    $750 behind the stage. I really hope I can score today or from another member. Otherwise I may have to skip some meals. And possibly a month or two mortgage payment. 
  • I thought I read in one of the emails from 10c that based on the new partnership with tm, no tickets would be available on secondary resale sites like stubhub*. What happened to that because stubhub seems to be full of tickets
    * - except NY and Colorado, where state laws allow for that sort of malarkey

There are zero tickets on StubHub for the other shows.
  • ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    My guess is that NY and CO transferability laws prevent 10c from doing anything about ticket resale, even with the obscene markups. 
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    When you’re reading something and you see an asterisk (that’s the one that looks like this: *) you need to look and find the matching asterisk down below, which will give you some additional information that is essential to understanding what you just read. Good luck on your PSAT.  
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    It was in all the messages about the tour, in NY and Colorado there are laws that say you can't do the fan to fan only exchange.  Not too many tickets for LA, or Oakland, or St/ Louis on there. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • ClapperClapper Posts: 208
    They have done everything they can to prevent secondary market.  The tickets on stubhub are Denver and New York where state laws require tickets to be transferable. The band and the fans wishes don't outweigh state laws. 
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
    I know a lot of us are frustrated by the NY/CO laws (because it encourages scalpers to eat up all the tickets for those shows), but this is an interesting read (if you're VERY bored while waiting for the public sales to begin): https://ag.ny.gov/pdfs/Ticket_Sales_Report.pdf
  • ecdanc said:
    I know a lot of us are frustrated by the NY/CO laws (because it encourages scalpers to eat up all the tickets for those shows), but this is an interesting read (if you're VERY bored while waiting for the public sales to begin): https://ag.ny.gov/pdfs/Ticket_Sales_Report.pdf

Sorry, I haven’t done my psat, don’t know what an asterisk is and need to be replied to in a condescending way, as a result I’m unable to read that link. Can you provide a synopsis? Lol
    ecdanc said:

Sorry, I haven’t done my psat, don’t know what an asterisk is and need to be replied to in a condescending way, as a result I’m unable to read that link. Can you provide a synopsis? Lol
    Dude, I hope you don't think I said anything condescending. Certainly didn't intend to. The document basically explains how/why NY ended up with the ticket-transfer laws it has. 
  • ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Dude, I hope you don't think I said anything condescending. Certainly didn't intend to. The document basically explains how/why NY ended up with the ticket-transfer laws it has. 
    not you. See the post above by tdawe
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,322
    tdawe said:
    When you’re reading something and you see an asterisk (that’s the one that looks like this: *) you need to look and find the matching asterisk down below, which will give you some additional information that is essential to understanding what you just read. Good luck on your PSAT.  
    Unbelievable. What a dickhead response 
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

not you. See the post above by tdawe
    Ok, cool. We're good. 
  • ecdanc said:
    Interesting. Thanks for posting. This is a great example of legislation lagging too far behind - the industry can move much quicker than government.

Eric T. Schneiderman thought he was helping but really, he just makes children cry.
  • tdawe said:
    ...or just reading comprehension 101.
    or you can come to terms and realize
    you're the only one who can forgive yourself oh yeah...
    makes much more sense to live in the present tense...

1995:  7/11 (Chicago) 2009: 8/23, 8/24 (Chicago) 2010:  5/9 (Cleveland) 2013 7/19 (Chicago) 2016: 4/9 (Miami), 5/1 (NYC), 8/20 & 8/22 (Chicago)
    2018: 8/18 (Chicago) & 8/20 (Chicago) 2022:  9/11 (NYC), 9/18 (STL) 2023:  9/5 (Chicago), 9/7 (Chicago) 2024:  8/29 (Chicago), 8/31 (Chicago)

• LostpawnLostpawn Posts: 414
    Out of curiosity, for anyone who bought Verified Fan tickets yesterday for non NY/CO shows, are your tickets available to you in your TM account yet?  I bought Denver, and already have my tickets. I guess SafeTix isn’t in place at all for NY / CO shows. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,532
    tdawe said:
    oh my goodness how snarky
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,427
    Limiting  or eliminating the secondary market is a good deal for the band but it's not a good thing for the consumer. how many people shut out would like the opportunity to buy tickets on the secondary market? this guy for one. would love the opportunity to decide if I want to pay the cost to see the Baltimore show since I lost on the 10C lottery.  Eliminating the secondary market is not good for the consumer.  
    pjhawks said:
    Limiting  or eliminating the secondary market is a good deal for the band but it's not a good thing for the consumer. how many people shut out would like the opportunity to buy tickets on the secondary market? this guy for one. would love the opportunity to decide if I want to pay the cost to see the Baltimore show since I lost on the 10C lottery.  Eliminating the secondary market is not good for the consumer.  
    "Eliminating the secondary market is not good for the consumer who can afford to pay absurd prices." FTFY. 
  • BV84003BV84003 Posts: 360
    pjhawks said:
    That's why they have the Fan to Fan Face Value Exchange.
    2003 Clarkston MI #2 | 2004 Grand Rapids MI | 2013 London ON | 2014 Detroit MI | 2016 Toronto ON #1
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,946
    pjhawks said:

If you eliminate the secondary market, there is no incentive for scalpers/agencies to buy up the tickets, thus, more are going into consumers' hands. This is a good thing. Sadly, demand for these tickets is still VERY high, meaning many still just don't get tickets.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    pjhawks said:
    But it allows far more fans to get tickets for face value. A good trade-off imo.

"They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:

If you eliminate the secondary market, there is no incentive for scalpers/agencies to buy up the tickets, thus, more are going into consumers' hands. This is a good thing. Sadly, demand for these tickets is still VERY high, meaning many still just don't get tickets.
    Overall the secondary market is a good thing for the consumers.   With Stub Hub getting concert tickets has never been easier.  Eliminating that will make it much much harder, especially for groups that you are not in a fan club for.  Is the time coming where I have to join the fan club of every group I want to see?  In our bubble here for PJ eliminating the secondary market mostly works (although I'd like the opportunity for Baltimore secondary market but I understand with limited NE shows demand it's just outrageous) but overall i will argue it's not a good thing.  I got tickets for The Who last year on the secondary market for $60.00 which was about half price. isn't that a good thing for the consumer?
  • The NY AG ain’t worried about the consumer. He just wanted his cut. 
  • pjhawks said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:

Overall the secondary market is a good thing for the consumers.   
    No, stop. If you added up all the tickets sold, with fees, I guarantee the total value sold exceeds the total face value of those tickets. You can't hold up a few shows with below-market value tickets because those are not the bulk of the volume.
    edited January 2020
    pjhawks said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:

No, stop. If you added up all the tickets sold, with fees, I guarantee the total value sold exceeds the total face value of those tickets. You can't hold up a few shows with below-market value tickets because those are not the bulk of the volume.
    how is giving more people more access to tickets a bad thing?  again look outside the PJ bubble. is it not a better idea to have the opportunity to see other bands by choosing a secondary market option?  Especially in today's world where shows are being put on sale up to a year ahead of time. sorry for groups I am not insanely crazy about, like PJ, I am not buying tickets a year ahead of time. give me the chance to buy a month out and get whatever level of tickets at a price I want to spend to see that show.  that's my thought process.

edit: not sure how everyone can hate ticketmaster so much...but then want them to be the only place to buy tickets from.  strange isn't it?

so i just tried ticketmaster for baltimore - right at 10:00 and already 2,000 people in front of me in their queque.  and this is a good system for consumers?  puh-leeze
    Post edited by pjhawks on
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:

how is giving more people more access to tickets a bad thing?  again look outside the PJ bubble. is it not a better idea to have the opportunity to see other bands by choosing a secondary market option?  Especially in today's world where shows are being put on sale up to a year ahead of time. sorry for groups I am not insanely crazy about, like PJ, I am not buying tickets a year ahead of time. give me the chance to buy a month out and get whatever level of tickets at a price I want to spend to see that show.  that's my thought process.
    Nothing says "access" like tickets marked up 2000%. 
  • Scalpers or secondary markets rely on impulse buys due to fomo. 
  • pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    mpedone said:
    pjhawks said:

edit: not sure how everyone can hate ticketmaster so much...but then want them to be the only place to buy tickets from.  strange isn't it?

so i just tried ticketmaster for baltimore - right at 10:00 and already 2,000 people in front of me in their queque.  and this is a good system for consumers?  puh-leeze
    Secondary market options are ideal. But the one we're sitting on leads to price gouging - downsides outweigh the upsides.

It was better when we bought off Kijiji or the guy in front of the show.
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Posts: 5,902
    nicknyr15 said:
    tdawe said:

This board has become so toxic. Any thread you open, responses are more likely to be condescending than understanding. Way more responses containing the words "whining" or "butthurt" than "sorry, that sucks." I get that the board is flooded with new people asking questions that a lot of us know, but it's easy to ignore or help. Sucks that being a dick makes people feel like a big man. 
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
    nicknyr15 said:
    tdawe said:

This board has become so toxic. Any thread you open, responses are more likely to be condescending than understanding. Way more responses containing the words "whining" or "butthurt" than "sorry, that sucks." I get that the board is flooded with new people asking questions that a lot of us know, but it's easy to ignore or help. Sucks that being a dick makes people feel like a big man. 
    Stop whining.