Options

Fan-To-Fan Face Value Ticket Exchange

Comments

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    bbiggs said:
    This process still seems to lack clarity on whether or not ONE individual ticket can be sold in the fan-to-fan exchange. Example:  I buy a pair for myself and concert buddy. Concert buddy bails, but I still want to attend the show. Ideally, I can sell that unused ticket that was supposed to be for my concert buddy (face value via TM fan to fan exchange). Has anyone confirmed that this is acceptable or not? And I have thoroughly read all of the rules. This is not spelled out. 
    It's not clear yet. Worst case, you'd post on Lost Dogs and find a new buddy in minutes. Only issue would be meeting them outside the show as you'd have to walk in together.
    Good point. Meeting up at the venue is a must though. Not complaining, but I think having the ability to sell one via TM fan to fan would have made a lot of sense for situations like I described in my original post. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    You guys that are ok with this system and know you are going to a show are not factoring in that now a lot more people are going to be hurting your GA or reserved odds without a care. In the past if people did not know (most did this) they were going to be able to make a show they did not put in for it and waited till they knew to find at ticket on the forum. Now they will put in and just sell the ticket not caring that they hurt the odds and chances of people that they knew 100% for sure that they were going. There is a lot good with the new system that they have in place but this is an awful choice imo. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    This process still seems to lack clarity on whether or not ONE individual ticket can be sold in the fan-to-fan exchange. Example:  I buy a pair for myself and concert buddy. Concert buddy bails, but I still want to attend the show. Ideally, I can sell that unused ticket that was supposed to be for my concert buddy (face value via TM fan to fan exchange). Has anyone confirmed that this is acceptable or not? And I have thoroughly read all of the rules. This is not spelled out. 
    It's not clear yet. Worst case, you'd post on Lost Dogs and find a new buddy in minutes. Only issue would be meeting them outside the show as you'd have to walk in together.
    Good point. Meeting up at the venue is a must though. Not complaining, but I think having the ability to sell one via TM fan to fan would have made a lot of sense for situations like I described in my original post. 
    What happens when your plus 1 does not want to wait in the GA line all day and you do? Is that person just going to skip the line now and go to the front since we have to go together? 
  • Options
    Is the fan-to-fan exchange exclusive to 10C members or is it open to the public as well?
    Columbus 6/24/03, Pittsburgh 9/28/05, Cleveland 5/20/06, Pittsburgh 6/23/06, Chicago 8/5/07, New York 6/24/08, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, Mansfield 6/30/08, EV D.C. 8/16/08, EV Chicago 8/22/08, EV Baltimore 6/14/09, Chicago 8/23/09, Philadelphia 10/27/09, Philadelphia 10/28/09, Philadelphia 10/30/09, Philadelphia 10/31/09, Columbus 5/6/10, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Cleveland 5/9/10, Buffalo 5/10/10, EV Detroit 6/26/11, Toronto 9/12/11, Hamilton 9/15/11, Pittsburgh 10/11/13, Buffalo 10/12/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, Los Angeles 11/24/13, Cincinnati 10/1/14, Detroit 10/16/14, New York 9/26/15, Greenville 4/16/16, Hampton 4/18/16, Columbia 4/21/16, Philadelphia 4/29/16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/22/16, Denver 9/22/22
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    What happens when your plus 1 does not want to wait in the GA line all day and you do? Is that person just going to skip the line now and go to the front since we have to go together? 
    Didn’t think of that. That has disaster written all over it. In all honesty, anyone I’m going to the show with isn’t going to bail, barring some major unforeseen event. You know the situation I described will happen though. I’m starting to agree with you that this may carry more negative than positive. 
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    MayDay10 said:
    I dont like this to be honest.

I get that sometimes there are extreme circumstances are created and someone legit cant go and has fallen on hardship.... and gets stuck eating or donating tickets.

But this creates a system that further encourages pairing-up, increasing odds, childrens' accounts, and overbuying, and later adjusting to figure out which tickets are more preferable, or later realizing that travelling will be to costly or arduous.   
    I definitely see your points, but I'm reserving judgment until we see how this plays out for a cycle. A couple things that mitigate your concerns:

- Allowing people to buy singles. How many unnecessary extras were floating around before solely because everyone had to buy a pair?

- Buying tickets still carries risk. A couple shows like MSG will probably get gobbled up immediately in the exchange. But there are several shows here where I can easily see people eating extras. Especially upper tier seats.

- A shorter window for lottery entries. Ends tomorrow and so far every show is still at 99% for reserved. If things hold ok, the vast majority will get taken care of through 10C.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    You guys that are ok with this system and know you are going to a show are not factoring in that now a lot more people are going to be hurting your GA or reserved odds without a care. In the past if people did not know (most did this) they were going to be able to make a show they did not put in for it and waited till they knew to find at ticket on the forum. Now they will put in and just sell the ticket not caring that they hurt the odds and chances of people that they knew 100% for sure that they were going. There is a lot good with the new system that they have in place but this is an awful choice imo. 
    Oh, it's factored in. My counter-point would be that I'm not sure many people will be putting down many hundreds or even thousands of dollars to game the system in this way when their ability to make money off the strategy is basically nil. Sure, people will try but if Ten Club is diligent about voiding tickets posted for resale above face, this will be snuffed out.

And, apparently improving our odds, there are more tickets available to Ten Club member than ever before.
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,881
    MayDay10 said:

I get that sometimes there are extreme circumstances are created and someone legit cant go and has fallen on hardship.... and gets stuck eating or donating tickets.

But this creates a system that further encourages pairing-up, increasing odds, childrens' accounts, and overbuying, and later adjusting to figure out which tickets are more preferable, or later realizing that travelling will be to costly or arduous.   
    Agreed.

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    I mean that's the problem of the person seeking out a plus one. The trials and tribulations of the early GA liner uppers are not objective problems and I wouldn't want PJ making ticket policy decisions based on that.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Oh, it's factored in. My counter-point would be that I'm not sure many people will be putting down many hundreds or even thousands of dollars to game the system in this way when their ability to make money off the strategy is basically nil. Sure, people will try but if Ten Club is diligent about voiding tickets posted for resale above face, this will be snuffed out.

And, apparently improving our odds, there are more tickets available to Ten Club member than ever before.
    That's another risk for potential ticket hoarders. Tickets have become much pricier. Good point.
  • Options
    mrvectormrvector NY, NY Posts: 39
    PJNB said:
    Except it's not like booking a hotel room with a free cancelation policy. You still have to pay the money upfront for these tickets and then find a buyer on this yet to be seen ticket exchange. Since the tickets aren't transferable (outside of NY and Den) there is still inherent risk in getting more tickets than you're prepared to use. I think the vague nature of the exchange system will be enough of a deterrent to protect against it. What if, for instance, the exchange is only 10c members? If the Res odds for the shows stay as high as they are, and most people get their requests fulfilled, the market on that exchange may not be what people think it is.

I think your real gripe is that more people will be putting GA because it doesn't hurt their overall odds. I had planned to do Res for both shows thinking it would give me a better chance in the old system. But with the new one, I can do Best Available and get GA if it's there without hurting my odds at Res. Works well for someone like me, doesn't work well for someone who is GA or bust and now has twice as large of a pool to compete with. 
    '98: MSG, 9/10
    '00: Jones Beach, 8/24
    '00: Camden, 9/02
    '03: Camden, 7/06
    '06: Hartford, 5/13
    '08: MSG, 6/24
    '08: MSG, 6/25
    '10: Hartford, 5/15
    '10: MSG, 5/20
    '13: Barclays, 10/18
    '16: MSG, 5/02
    '16: Fenway 2, 8/07
    '18: Wrigley 1, 8/18
  • Options
    showshshowsh Posts: 8
    bbiggs said:
    I got an answer from 10c this morning. You will be able to sell an individual ticket on the fan exchange.

Toronto - 93/96/05/11/16/16, Detroit - 94/14, Mirrorball - 95, Hamilton - 11, London - 13, Buffalo - 13, Ottawa - 16
  • Options
    Second hand info, but someone who listened to the Faithfull Forum said TM rep was on there and stated general public would have access to the exchange, not just 10C.

I didn't hear it, but go check that out if you're interested. 
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:

That's another risk for potential ticket hoarders. Tickets have become much pricier. Good point.
    And so has the secondary market. To secure a ticket I bet people would rather fork over the money now to up their odds and get payed back in the future without penalty then to have lower odds and have to go to Stubhub potentially. 

I am not trying to be a debbie downer here and say the system will not work just yet. I  just see some obvious holes that I know will be exploited unfortunately. I am sure 10 club has thought of all angles so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I am also sure 10 Club is sick of seeing people email them saying they want a refund or seeing good seats go to waste since the original ticket holder can no longer use them.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Second hand info, but someone who listened to the Faithfull Forum said TM rep was on there and stated general public would have access to the exchange, not just 10C.

I didn't hear it, but go check that out if you're interested. 
    That makes the most sense. Otherwise, if you need to sell and all Ten Clubbers have what they need, you're screwed. I know some people would prefer that Ten Club keep their exclusive access but the advantage provided by the lottery in the first place is pretty damn exclusive and good enough for me.
  • Options
    showsh said:
    bbiggs said:
    I got an answer from 10c this morning. You will be able to sell an individual ticket on the fan exchange.

Thanks for confirming. Very helpful info for anyone wondering. 
  • Options
    JBob87JBob87 Posts: 431
    I think overall this could end up hurting ten club members. But will refrain from full judgement until we get details on the exchange.

Right now there is limited incentive to not put in for more than you need. This was NOT the case in 2018 or really going back the last number of years. Yes you aren’t going to be able to profit off hoarding tickets, but you aren’t going to be punished. And if you are relatively indifferent between two travel locations or are unsure if you will have $, sign off from significant other, etc the only thing stopping you from pursuing both is the cost of holding them for a period of time. 

I see a high sell through of initial inventory with tougher competition for tickets through the ten club lotto. Then there will be a high amount available through the fan 2 fan exchange. The problem is that we have no idea how that will work and I highly expect that it will not just be for 10c members. Which means 10c members could be ultimately be shut out for shows they want due to competing with the public in this unknown marketplace because too many extra tickets were sold in the initial lotto.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    I am not trying to be a debbie downer here and say the system will not work just yet. I  just see some obvious holes that I know will be exploited unfortunately. I am sure 10 club has thought of all angles so it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I am also sure 10 Club is sick of seeing people email them saying they want a refund or seeing good seats go to waste since the original ticket holder can no longer use them.
    Yep. If there was a perfect system available, it would be implemented. All we can ask for is improvement and this might be it.

Besides, if there was a huge risk to ticket availability because of exploits, we'd see that in the odds being posted. They're still all VERY robust odds so no evidence yet the exploits are a problem. We'll see if they stay that way, I guess.
  • Options
    mrvector said:
    PJNB said:
    Except it's not like booking a hotel room with a free cancelation policy. You still have to pay the money upfront for these tickets and then find a buyer on this yet to be seen ticket exchange. Since the tickets aren't transferable (outside of NY and Den) there is still inherent risk in getting more tickets than you're prepared to use. I think the vague nature of the exchange system will be enough of a deterrent to protect against it. What if, for instance, the exchange is only 10c members? If the Res odds for the shows stay as high as they are, and most people get their requests fulfilled, the market on that exchange may not be what people think it is.

I think your real gripe is that more people will be putting GA because it doesn't hurt their overall odds. I had planned to do Res for both shows thinking it would give me a better chance in the old system. But with the new one, I can do Best Available and get GA if it's there without hurting my odds at Res. Works well for someone like me, doesn't work well for someone who is GA or bust and now has twice as large of a pool to compete with. 
    Great points and spot on about the GA scenario. Higher number fans used to have the protection of lower number fans not putting in for GA since they had great seats and putting that as their first pick gave them great odds on scoring those seats. Now with the city being the onlyy factor with priority more people that went reserved only will more than likely dive into the GA pool since there is no penalty doing that now odds wise.

It is going to be interesting how this plays out and I am pretty damn excited about this tour!
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,920
    I would never pay for a screenshot of someone's ticket to a show, but I know some did just that in 2018. I like this system because if my plans change and I can make it to another show spur of the moment, there is a mechanism in place to potentially get face value tix and not worry that you won't be able to get into the show. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:

And so has the secondary market. To secure a ticket I bet people would rather fork over the money now to up their odds and get payed back in the future without penalty then to have lower odds and have to go to Stubhub potentially. 

Maybe. I'm just saying I can see where this would be better compared to previous tours. We know that people have been scooping up as much as possible and sorting it out later for a while. My opinion is, for several reasons, it's a riskier proposition now than in the past.
  • Options
    JBob87JBob87 Posts: 431
    And as a high 10c number if I knew the marketplace would be 10c only at least for a period or if there were 10c-10c transfers I would be tempted to just bank on that vs the initial drawing. My seats can really only improve by buying the extras off another member.
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:

What tickets are going to be on Stubhub?  Tickets are non-transferable even the public tickets.  Unless you are talking New York or Denver of course.
    Gorge
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:

There are two facts that will lower demand and raise supply unequivocally - raising prices, and increasing 10C's ticket pools. In addition to that, if Ticketmaster handles the Exchanges anonymously (similar to the Resale program), these will be true:
    • Profiting from scalping is removed from the table since tickets can only be resold at face value and anonymously so you can't request additional funds - lowers demand
    • Buying tickets today to barter with someone to get to another show wouldn't be possible since tickets can only be resold anonymously - lowers demand

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    On the night of the show, do you just need to be logged into your ticketmaster account on your phone, and/or, will they be checking your photo ID (like the original ten club ticket pickup process)?
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJNB said:

What tickets are going to be on Stubhub?  Tickets are non-transferable even the public tickets.  Unless you are talking New York or Denver of course.
    Public sale are non transferable? 
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    pjl44 said:
    MayDay10 said:

I definitely see your points, but I'm reserving judgment until we see how this plays out for a cycle. A couple things that mitigate your concerns:

- Allowing people to buy singles. How many unnecessary extras were floating around before solely because everyone had to buy a pair?

- Buying tickets still carries risk. A couple shows like MSG will probably get gobbled up immediately in the exchange. But there are several shows here where I can easily see people eating extras. Especially upper tier seats.

- A shorter window for lottery entries. Ends tomorrow and so far every show is still at 99% for reserved. If things hold ok, the vast majority will get taken care of through 10C.
    The way I have seen it go down in recent systems, with a relatively restricted ability to share tickets:

People put in with friends, family (who wouldnt ordinarily have an account), etc.  Good 10c numbers go for reserved.  All the fluff doubles up on GA requests.  "Extra" GA tickets get traded for other "extra" GA tickets.  If GA is acquired, decent reserved seat is traded or sold here at face value.  As a result, reserved seniority is skewed way to higher numbers.  Medium numbers have been pushed way to the back.

Im glad that the 'trading my extra pair of GA for extra GA" is done and we wont see the same cartel of people at GA at every show (I think)....    

With this, I also feel like we are going to get a lot of 'ill try the odds and see what I get and figure out logistics later" people who are going to go for tickets at no risk and later surrender them on ticket exchange.

I get the whole 'thats great, it will get the tickets into fans' hands argument.... but between the lottery and then, we have the fan verified presale and public sale.  I would rather obtain tickets in the lottery than need to get into another lottery later for other people's tickets who won the original lottery, most of which should have probably not have been in the lottery, decreasing the need for the ticket exchange.

This is also another layer of ticketmaster slime.

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    MayDay10 said:
    pjl44 said:
    MayDay10 said:

The way I have seen it go down in recent systems, with a relatively restricted ability to share tickets:

People put in with friends, family (who wouldnt ordinarily have an account), etc.  Good 10c numbers go for reserved.  All the fluff doubles up on GA requests.  "Extra" GA tickets get traded for other "extra" GA tickets.  If GA is acquired, decent reserved seat is traded or sold here at face value.  As a result, reserved seniority is skewed way to higher numbers.  Medium numbers have been pushed way to the back.

Im glad that the 'trading my extra pair of GA for extra GA" is done and we wont see the same cartel of people at GA at every show (I think)....    

With this, I also feel like we are going to get a lot of 'ill try the odds and see what I get and figure out logistics later" people who are going to go for tickets at no risk and later surrender them on ticket exchange.

I get the whole 'thats great, it will get the tickets into fans' hands argument.... but between the lottery and then, we have the fan verified presale and public sale.  I would rather obtain tickets in the lottery than need to get into another lottery later for other people's tickets who won the original lottery, most of which should have probably not have been in the lottery, decreasing the need for the ticket exchange.

This is also another layer of ticketmaster slime.

As has already been said and ignored on here, it is not trivial to have a software environment to manage a sale of this complexity and volume. You may call it "Ticketmaster slime", but the band is likely looking at it as "the only way to move forward". It's easy to complain about one option - much harder to design a better one.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I understand server and technology requirements, etc.

It doesnt take away a deep mis-trust of ticketmaster/live nation/tickets.com, etc.  Whether its fees, good seats mysteriously unavailable and scalped, clicking on the images that show storefronts, etc.  Mis-trust based on numerous bad experiences in the past.  

Hearing about 10c implementing a resale system powered by ticketmaster, my immediate reaction is how much are the "convenience" fees going to be and/or what % of the cut with TM take?  Maybe none?  It could be.  But right now, I have distrust.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    I understand server and technology requirements, etc.

It doesnt take away a deep mis-trust of ticketmaster/live nation/tickets.com, etc.  Whether its fees, good seats mysteriously unavailable and scalped, clicking on the images that show storefronts, etc.  Mis-trust based on numerous bad experiences in the past.  

Hearing about 10c implementing a resale system powered by ticketmaster, my immediate reaction is how much are the "convenience" fees going to be and/or what % of the cut with TM take?  Maybe none?  It could be.  But right now, I have distrust.
    Counterpoint: What choice do you have?