Options

New Album without BoB

How does everyone feel about him not producing the new album. Do you like Brendan O'Brien or do you think they will be better without him? I'm hoping more and longer McCready solos. Can only hope :)

Comments

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,046
    I think something new is going to be a welcoming change. Not here to bash Brendan or his style but I am very curious and hyped to see what they come up with without him.
  • Options
    SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 2,012
    Yeah. BOB has been awesome with PJ. But as a fan I'm excited that they might be trying something different.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,996
    I am excited to hear what it sounds like.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    It’s always good to mix it up a bit. He’s great, but I’m excited to hear how this sounds.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    EarlWelshEarlWelsh Buffalo, NY Posts: 1,102
    Best news about the new record I’ve heard so far.
  • Options
    KusyKusy Posts: 351
    Great news! 
    2007: Chorzow, PL
    2014: Gdynia, PL
    2017: EV Solo Berlin, DE
    2018: PinkPop Festival, NL; London #1, UK; Padova, ITA; Prague, CZ; Krakow, PL; Berlin; DE; London #2, UK
    2019: EV Solo Berlin, DE
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    We could probably have a better feel for it if we knew who is the new producer?
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    vercemanverceman Posts: 680
    someone on reddit or something assumed it was Jack White producing because he was in Hawaii at Eddie's house when the skater leaked that he had heard the record. I thought that was a crazy assumption at the time but now hearing that BOB did not produce the record I don't think its so crazy!
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,156
    Sarava said:
    Yeah. BOB has been awesome with PJ. But as a fan I'm excited that they might be trying something different.
    This is how I feel. BOB has been great for PJ overall. Some missteps more recently but still more good than average. But a new producer just adds to the excitement as it adds to the uncertainty.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

• Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Excited to read this news. I enjoyed Backspacer and Lightning Bolt but am hoping the new album gets a little more experimental ala Binaural/Riot Act/Avacado. 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    Fingers crossed it's Jack White - it's now or never! 
    Imagine this: album of the year "Gigaton" by Pearl Jam. Dark new wave vibe, synths, Binaural feeling, no more 2min punk-rockers and folk ballads. Can't wait! 
    2018: PinkPop Festival, NL; London #1, UK; Padova, ITA; Prague, CZ; Krakow, PL; Berlin; DE; London #2, UK
  • Options
    Jack White would for sure have more McCready shredding... I'm down for that
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,996
    Unleash McCready!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    Unleash McCready!
    For real though. Do it for Chris Cornell. The way he talks about Mike on Pj Twenty that's how all of us feel... Let the guy go off
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,497
    Idk... I think if it were Jack White we would have known, between this rabid fan base & his... its tough to keep that a secret. Takes time to produce a record, not just Jack visiting Ed over a weekend in Hawaii. He’s kinda busy guy
  • Options
    12 min. track with a wild guitar solo as in Reach Down. It's a must! 
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,397
    I'm not sure. BoB was amazing for those earlier albums, but not quite as much on the last few.   Probably doesn't hurt to try using someone new.
  • Options
    vercemanverceman Posts: 680
    CROJAM95 said:
    Idk... I think if it were Jack White we would have known, between this rabid fan base & his... its tough to keep that a secret. Takes time to produce a record, not just Jack visiting Ed over a weekend in Hawaii. He’s kinda busy guy
    Haha yeah. Deleted from that post was the guy hinting he had heard the new Pearl Jam record at Eddie's house with JW in attendance. Putting two and two together someone speculated that the occasion was a private listening party for the new JW produced PJ album.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    edited January 2020
    My opinion is that BoB kind of gives PJ the right sound.  The only album that fell short of that was Lightning Bolt.  That said, there are some great producers out there.  Got to be someone who can give the band a fresh sound.
    Post edited by vaggar99 on
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,497
    verceman said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    Haha yeah. Deleted from that post was the guy hinting he had heard the new Pearl Jam record at Eddie's house with JW in attendance. Putting two and two together someone speculated that the occasion was a private listening party for the new JW produced PJ album.
    Maybe a song, I can’t see the whole album. Hope I’m wrong
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,660
    edited January 2020
    BoB is very good.  Every 90s and 00s band used him for a reason.  But change is good.  Backspacer was a quick fun Album.  Change of pace from Riot Act and Avocado.   LB was just kind of dull to me. 

My question is WHERE was this recorded.   If it was Nashville you guys might be on to something
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    Kusy said:
    12 min. track with a wild guitar solo as in Reach Down. It's a must! 
    Ahh ya that's what I'm talking about, at least 2 or 3 mins at least... Solos have been so short lately... McCready needs time to get into a solo and then time to fuckin explode on that solo
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,640
    Nobody is on to anything with Jack White.  Just internet b.s.   PJ likes control and familiarity.   
  • Options
    These guys have the skills to do some like Dark side of the moon shit is all I'm saying... Let's see it
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,866
    Tchad Blake...runs away.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,355
    I'm excited, I think they need to change it up.  Not because of Brendan, because of them.  Its like they got so comfortable with him that its resulted in less give and take in the studio, which was part of the magic on the earlier albums.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,874
    Kusy said:
    Fingers crossed it's Jack White - it's now or never! 
    Imagine this: album of the year "Gigaton" by Pearl Jam. Dark new wave vibe, synths, Binaural feeling, no more 2min punk-rockers and folk ballads. Can't wait! 
    Love this: Dark new wave vibe, synths, Binaural feeling, no more 2min punk-rockers and folk ballads. Can't wait! 

Bob is a legend and they did some magical stuff together.  But change is good and needed in my opinion for them to be pushed and challenged.  

Exciting times!!!  
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,628
    I hope it’s Josh Homme. Let’s get weird. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023