Options

Worst Thing At A Concert

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    edited February 2020
    Drunks that want to fight - Learn how to drink in public moron. Drunks that pass out and have to get medical attention. Seriously? Why are you there? 
    People that have no regard for your personal space and just walk wherever - on your poster, running into you etc.
    People that attempt to film the entire show in a section full of noise. Um- that bootleg's gonna suck shit - you should stop. 
    WOO!!! girls Every now and then I get it - it's not annoying, but after every song? Come on!
    People that yell out song titles they want to hear or "I LOVE YOU..." in between songs and/or when someone onstage is talking. 
    People that try to bum your weed. Buy your own mooch. The one joint I bring in ain't getting all 6 of you & your posse stoned.
    If it's one or 2 of you, you're in luck  -if you partake. I don't mind sharing in small numbers. Sometimes they also share - :)
    People that get overzealous with what other people are doing and think they're part of Security. Ran into an acquaintance at a show last year and he tried to police the only walkway between the floor and stairs the ENTIRE show. 

People that smoke weed with no regard to who is right around them.
    Floor at Wells Fargo at one of the 2013 shows.  Wife is pregnant.  Dudes burn joints the entire time in the row in front of us.
    I pointed out that she was pregnant and they didn't stop.  I am not a narc and they at least offered me in on the smoke if I wanted, but it was fucked up.  You are smoking what were illegal drugs at the time.  You were smoking indoors.  Every other song.  I have done so and I am not the concert/fun police...and I do not care if you smoke weed, or PCP, knock yourself out....but for fucks sake have some sort of community sense and don't get an unborn child second hand baked.  :lol:
    (Or hold in more of the smoke?  It was like Robert Parish and Alaa Abdelnaby were acting out their Chief & Chong routine in the row in front of us.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Drunks that want to fight - Learn how to drink in public moron. Drunks that pass out and have to get medical attention. Seriously? Why are you there? 
    People that have no regard for your personal space and just walk wherever - on your poster, running into you etc.
    People that attempt to film the entire show in a section full of noise. Um- that bootleg's gonna suck shit - you should stop. 
    WOO!!! girls Every now and then I get it - it's not annoying, but after every song? Come on!
    People that yell out song titles they want to hear or "I LOVE YOU..." in between songs and/or when someone onstage is talking. 
    People that try to bum your weed. Buy your own mooch. The one joint I bring in ain't getting all 6 of you & your posse stoned.
    If it's one or 2 of you, you're in luck  -if you partake. I don't mind sharing in small numbers. Sometimes they also share - :)
    People that get overzealous with what other people are doing and think they're part of Security. Ran into an acquaintance at a show last year and he tried to police the only walkway between the floor and stairs the ENTIRE show. 

Floor at Wells Fargo at one of the 2013 shows.  Wife is pregnant.  Dudes burn joints the entire time in the row in front of us.
    I pointed out that she was pregnant and they didn't stop.  I am not a narc and they at least offered me in on the smoke if I wanted, but it was fucked up.  You are smoking what were illegal drugs at the time.  You were smoking indoors.  Every other song.  I have done so and I am not the concert/fun police...and I do not care if you smoke weed, or PCP, knock yourself out....but for fucks sake have some sort of community sense and don't get an unborn child second hand baked.  :lol:
    (Or hold in more of the smoke?  It was like Robert Parish and Alaa Abdelnaby were acting out their Chief & Chong routine in the row in front of us.)
    I totally agree. I should've added that I don't smoke at indoor venues. I try to respect everyone's space around me and also don't want to risk getting tossed out.  
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,545
    People that sing. I couldn't shut up at a Vedder solo show once (and trust me - I'm no singer... the first act of autonomy my kid expressed was a request that I STOP singing lullabys). Fortunately, Ed caught on and sang a sing-a-long.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    tish said:
    People that sing. I couldn't shut up at a Vedder solo show once (and trust me - I'm no singer... the first act of autonomy my kid expressed was a request that I STOP singing lullabys). Fortunately, Ed caught on and sang a sing-a-long.
    I took a video with myself singing along during a song where the crowd was all singing.
    Hearing the playback put a stop to my singing along loudly unless it is to one of the parts where everyone sings.
  • Options
    Drunk and/or high people. Period.
    I personally never understood sober...it's such a fine line...
  • Options
    I never understood drunk. But high!! Hell yes. Every time. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    Was just thinking about the weed "issue" and a simple solution would be to sell edibles at venues where recreational marijuana is legal. Can you imagine the prices, lol?
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479

You took your pregnant wife to a rock concert with floor seats and were offended that people were smoking a ton of pot? Were you also offended that they were dancing and having a good time? Someone stand up the whole time and block your view? That is what happens at rock concerts.  There is also a 10% chance someone would bump into her, spill their beer on her, pee on her, or even puke on her. These things happen at rock concerts.  
  • Options
    Get_Right said:

You took your pregnant wife to a rock concert with floor seats and were offended that people were smoking a ton of pot? Were you also offended that they were dancing and having a good time? Someone stand up the whole time and block your view? That is what happens at rock concerts.  There is also a 10% chance someone would bump into her, spill their beer on her, pee on her, or even puke on her. These things happen at rock concerts.  
    I can always count on an assumption filled response here.
    Didn't say I was offended.  Didn't call security.
    Didn't say anything about people having a good time, dancing, nor standing.
    We were not in GA.  We were in seats.  Nobody was bumping into her, I was there to block that as much as could be reasonably expected.  She was in the middle of the pregnancy and it posed no physical risk to her.
    I also didn't object to people doing drugs - just don't be a fucking asshole and make your personal (illegal) choices the choice for everyone around you.  
    This is simple.
    If you cannot perceive a difference between those things and breaking the law (drugs) and breaking the venue rules as well as local standards (smoking indoors) you are unable to carry on a conversation of any merit.
    Congratulations.  
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Get_Right said:

I see someone is ignoring rule #1 today. :angry:

Wow. You obviously don't know FMe. Not that guy at all. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    I think there’s a well defined line between “dancing and having fun”, having a drink or two, and smoking a bit of pot, versus getting completely fucked up and being an idiot.

A young kid at their first rock show getting all fucked up on booze and/or drugs, I’ll give them a pass. That’s part of figuring things out. A grown adult in their 30-50s getting all fucked up and acting like an asshole because it’s a “rock show” or “it’s rock and roll” is pathetic.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    All good, just sounds like the fun police were out.  "just don't be a fucking asshole and make your personal (illegal) choices"
    But that is exactly what happens at shows and you know it. Over and over again, all over the venue despite rules and local standards - whatever those are.  Heck people still smoke cigarettes in some Philly bars. Assumption of risk. "Honey we talked about this, there will be a ton of second hand smoke in the venue." Tis all.
  • Options
    tusevuntusevun Posts: 218
    drugs and rock n roll go hand in hand. 

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    edited February 2020
    tusevun said:

A bit of a dated assumption there...

I must be going to the wrong shows nowadays. Rarely do I see performers up slamming booze, or even appearing intoxicated.

In the last few years, I’ve only seen two acts that were clearly drunk/high. One was the Chris Robinson Brotherhood, but it was expected that Chris would be stoned. That’s kind of his thing. The other was Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. They’d start songs, stop halfway through. Out of tune and off key. It was embarrassing.  Half the crowd, including myself left before they were done.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,067
    tusevun said:

I must be going to the wrong shows nowadays. Rarely do I see performers up slamming booze, or even appearing intoxicated.

In the last few years, I’ve only seen two acts that were clearly drunk/high. One was the Chris Robinson Brotherhood, but it was expected that Chris would be stoned. That’s kind of his thing. The other was Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. They’d start songs, stop halfway through. Out of tune and off key. It was embarrassing.  Half the crowd, including myself left before they were done.
    We are definitely going to different shows
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    All good, just sounds like the fun police were out.  "just don't be a fucking asshole and make your personal (illegal) choices"
    But that is exactly what happens at shows and you know it. Over and over again, all over the venue despite rules and local standards - whatever those are.  Heck people still smoke cigarettes in some Philly bars. Assumption of risk. "Honey we talked about this, there will be a ton of second hand smoke in the venue." Tis all.
    You cut out the rest of that quote
      Make whatever choices you want, just don't make your choices my choices.
    I'm a wild son of a bitch and do not enjoy the fun police.  (I did acknowledge that they tried to pass me in on the joints.)

We stayed for the show.  Kid is fine, I didn't overreact.  No punches thrown.  No voice even raised.  Realized from the jump that these guys didn't give two shits about anyone but themselves and what they found was acceptable, despite laws and rules dictating otherwise.
    30-40 year old morons are certainly a staple at concerts, no argument there.  
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    tusevun said:

Never seen Ed drunk? Did CR's performance suffer due to weed? I would much rather people get high as giraffe balls than drunk.
    Edit: i dont consider marijuana "drugs"
    Post edited by tusevun on
  • Options
    tusevun said:

Good drugs. (Weed,shrooms,acid) yes they do
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    deadendp said:

I hate to say that if you are tall you should stand in the back. That is kind of unfair, but when you decide to stand in front of someone 5' tall and you are clearly a foot and a half taller, that sucks. 

I'm 6'2" and I will never push my way up tot the front, but if I'm there earlier than someone else, and have a good spot - bad luck. 

I lined up for most of the day to get rail for a PJ gig (only time I've been front row) and then a couple who pushed their way through were whinging to myself and my brother, who's a bit taller than me, that his girlfriend couldn't see. At first I politley declined, but they kept up us to let them onto the rail. My brother flatly turned aroun and told them to get here ealrier if they want a good spot and be able to see, otherwise fark off.

Also happened at a small venue aI was at recently. I'd been there a few times previously and knew they had some stools and benches with good views as they were at back on a raised floor. I had a leg injury, nbothing serious, but painful when standing for long times, so got there early in the hope of getting a spot. Got one and then later in the night had a group of women behind me loudly saying to anyone around that if I was a gentlemen, I would offer them a seat. I  politely laiughed at first, but she kept at it, and then my wife told her where to go. Entitled people shit me to tears
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    Talking and yelling out at concerts shit me and also the use of phones.

Now I'm guilty of looking at YouTube for clips of songs I've been looking for, so it's a but  hard to be too critical, but for crying out loud, be in the moment and enjoy the show people.

• Options
    No Coder said:

Now I'm guilty of looking at YouTube for clips of songs I've been looking for, so it's a but  hard to be too critical, but for crying out loud, be in the moment and enjoy the show people.

I like the idea of something shitting me being a term to utilize....going to have to start using that.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    boomers
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    No Coder said:
    deadendp said:

I hate to say that if you are tall you should stand in the back. That is kind of unfair, but when you decide to stand in front of someone 5' tall and you are clearly a foot and a half taller, that sucks. 

I'm 6'2" and I will never push my way up tot the front, but if I'm there earlier than someone else, and have a good spot - bad luck. 

I lined up for most of the day to get rail for a PJ gig (only time I've been front row) and then a couple who pushed their way through were whinging to myself and my brother, who's a bit taller than me, that his girlfriend couldn't see. At first I politley declined, but they kept up us to let them onto the rail. My brother flatly turned aroun and told them to get here ealrier if they want a good spot and be able to see, otherwise fark off.

Also happened at a small venue aI was at recently. I'd been there a few times previously and knew they had some stools and benches with good views as they were at back on a raised floor. I had a leg injury, nbothing serious, but painful when standing for long times, so got there early in the hope of getting a spot. Got one and then later in the night had a group of women behind me loudly saying to anyone around that if I was a gentlemen, I would offer them a seat. I  politely laiughed at first, but she kept at it, and then my wife told her where to go. Entitled people shit me to tears
    See. If I read correctly, you were already there when chippie doodle and the doodlettes decided to stand behind you in hopes you would move. That is not what I am talking about. That is unfair to you. You were there before them. 

What is unfair to me is at 5' tall, a 6'+ dude decides to stand in front of me. That is what sucks. When I was already there and he can't just enjoy the unobscured view over my head since I was already there in the first place. Has to muscle his way in. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    No Coder said:
    deadendp said:

See. If I read correctly, you were already there when chippie doodle and the doodlettes decided to stand behind you in hopes you would move. That is not what I am talking about. That is unfair to you. You were there before them. 

What is unfair to me is at 5' tall, a 6'+ dude decides to stand in front of me. That is what sucks. When I was already there and he can't just enjoy the unobscured view over my head since I was already there in the first place. Has to muscle his way in. 
    Agree completely. I do not push through the crowd ever. People who get there first deserve the best spots

• Options
    No Coder said:

I like the idea of something shitting me being a term to utilize....going to have to start using that.
    It's been part of the Aussie vernacular for a long time. Full saying is "shits me to tears" but beings Aussies, we shorten it again to just Shits me

• Options
    Malroth said:
    boomers
    Malroth said:
    boomers
    I'll bite - I think you'll find there are just as many of other generations on here that there are Boomers and that saying is now being used by precious Gen Z's (for the most part) as a put down about anything that doesn't suit them. I've found that a majority of people who use the term Boomer have no idea what age bracket that actually encompasses, it's just someone older than them that doesn't agree with the opinion.

I'm not even close to being a boomer, but if being annoyed by people having no consideration for others makes me a Boomer in your eyes, I'll happily take that over being a spoilt little shit who thinks everything is entitled to them and about them.

• Options
    Malroth said:
    boomers
    shrooms are awesome. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    deadendp said:
    No Coder said:
    deadendp said:

chippie doodle and the doodlettes 
    :lol:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    What is a "boomer"?
  • Options
    petted101 said:
    What is a "boomer"?
    I think it’s when you are taking a shit and getting a blow job at the same time