Options

Worst Thing At A Concert

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,415
    You shouldn't squeeze in front of someone, but it's especially obnoxious if you're a tall person squeezing in front of a shorter person.

That said, if there is enough space in front of you for someone to comfortably stand, it's probably going to get occupied. And it might be someone taller than you. So move up if you don't want that to happen.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    At one PJ concert me and my friends were sitting down on the floor right next to the front barrier as we needed to rest our legs before the opening act. Two smartass idiots just walked through and took our spot. I kept asking them to move but they wouldn't and were being smart asses about it. So I ensured I "accidentally" bumped them hard during PJ's performance.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    30+ year olds who are still obsessed with front row.
    I guess it's not the worst thing,  I just feel sad for them. 
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    why?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    edited December 2019
    I'm 46 and will still go rail if it is possible. No need to feel sad for me. Having a great time! :smiley:
    At one PJ concert me and my friends were sitting down on the floor right next to the front barrier as we needed to rest our legs before the opening act. Two smartass idiots just walked through and took our spot. I kept asking them to move but they wouldn't and were being smart asses about it. So I ensured I "accidentally" bumped them hard during PJ's performance.
    I have already established that I am short, but this actually applies to this situation. My husband has seen this time and time again with me. People look at my lack of height as a break in the line. I am always the excuse me-pardon me point of any long line. Hate to be that girl, but my experience tells me to stand as tall as you can, pit stance and fight for your spot. You did, but you can't sit. It's seen as a vulnerability and can't have that going on in a pit.
    Post edited by deadendp on
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,457
    That’s why reserved seating works better than GA , I don’t want to hear how GA the crowd is so much better that’s just not the case ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    That’s why reserved seating works better than GA , I don’t want to hear how GA the crowd is so much better that’s just not the case ! 
    I will generally take either one if it means me getting into the building. The Cleveland Agora is mostly tiered GA. I bypassed on pit for Ministry, Static-X and The Raconteurs. (Security had to close the pit down for a bit for The Raconteurs as it hit maximum capacity. Security dude told me he had been there for a very long time and never had to close the pit up to that point.) Given the choice, I will take the one that seems the best fit and will definitely move back or out of a pit if I need to. 
  • Options
    GA was great back in the day when I was young and full of energy. Now just thinking about waiting in line all day for a good spot in the floor exhausts me. Having to stand all night even before the show starts. All the bumping and crowd surges. Give me seats so I can get to the venue at a decent time. Sit until the show starts and not have to feel a drunken slob pressed against me for three hours anytime. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    Yeah when you are younger it's different. I loved being in the pit and jumping around. I guess you get to a point in life where you haven't got the energy for that no more. I don't mind seating as long as people don't mind people standing up and moving to the music. Most shows I've had seats to were okay as everyone stood up.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 3,015
    Punching. Definitely punching is the worst. I can't tell you how many times I have been punched myself or have seen others punched in the face for no apparent reason. 

Well, there was one Dinosaur Jr show where I saw a guy attempting to set another guy on fire with a BIC lighter.

That guy deserved to be punched in the face. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,415
    GA was great back in the day when I was young and full of energy. Now just thinking about waiting in line all day for a good spot in the floor exhausts me. Having to stand all night even before the show starts. All the bumping and crowd surges. Give me seats so I can get to the venue at a decent time. Sit until the show starts and not have to feel a drunken slob pressed against me for three hours anytime. 
    Agree with all of this. At this point in my life, I would much rather spend the time at a bar or restaurant with friends. If I have GA tickets to a show, the middle of the floor is fine. The amount of time/effort to be 20-25 people closer to the stage isn't remotely worth it.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,640
    Loud music.  Guys using sticks to bang on things.  Fog machines.  One dude who hogs the microphone for two hours.   Large crowds of people.  Merch booths.  Over priced concessions.   All rubbish.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    edited December 2019
    Loud music.  Guys using sticks to bang on things.  Fog machines.  One dude who hogs the microphone for two hours.   Large crowds of people.  Merch booths.  Over priced concessions.   All 
    Post edited by facepollution on
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 714
    Although not applicable to many concerts, my single weirdest experience at a concert was at a White Stripes show in the very early 2000’s.  I was in a row near the back and was the only person in that row (it was an indoor show).  Towards the middle of the set a middle aged couple came and sat in the row with me.  After a few songs of them sitting there, the guy leaned over and asked if I minded if they had sex.  I was stunned and couldn’t think of an immediate response.  Looking back I suppose it was polite of them to ask if I minded first, though I’m not sure how they expected me to respond.

It was a great concert, but it’s odd that that is one of my lasting memories from the show.
  • Options
    Loud music.  Guys using sticks to bang on things.  Fog machines.  One dude who hogs the microphone for two hours.   Large crowds of people.  Merch booths.  Over priced concessions.   All 

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,378
    ST66483 said:
    Although not applicable to many concerts, my single weirdest experience at a concert was at a White Stripes show in the very early 2000’s.  I was in a row near the back and was the only person in that row (it was an indoor show).  Towards the middle of the set a middle aged couple came and sat in the row with me.  After a few songs of them sitting there, the guy leaned over and asked if I minded if they had sex.  I was stunned and couldn’t think of an immediate response.  Looking back I suppose it was polite of them to ask if I minded first, though I’m not sure how they expected me to respond.

It was a great concert, but it’s odd that that is one of my lasting memories from the show.

Did they?
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    ST66483 said:

Did they?
    😂😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 714
    No thankfully!
  • Options
    ST66483 said:
    No thankfully!
    I take it they were not a good looking couple. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,640
    What a thoughtful and considerate couple.  People like this seem to be disappearing in this fast paced, I want it now world we live in.
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 859
    I was at a Soundgarden gig in Berlin and just as the intro to Searching came on I heard this group of English guys basically reach a consensus and say "Just do it" and before I copped on all 12 of them just went hell for leather towards the front smashing everyone out of the way. This was when it was lashing rain too. Was so pissed I shoved the last guy so hard I almost fell over. Funnily though the guy turned around after stumbling looking to smash someone but saw me off balance and didn't think it was me. But moral of the story those guys are twats.

Phones up filming and jumping into people fucks me off. Jump up and down, not side to side. Though I fully concede I am getting grumpier and grumpier as I get older and find it very hard not to wish cancer on anyone that intrudes upon my zen-like trance ;)
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    JT167846 said:
    I was at a Soundgarden gig in Berlin and just as the intro to Searching came on I heard this group of English guys basically reach a consensus and say "Just do it" and before I copped on all 12 of them just went hell for leather towards the front smashing everyone out of the way. This was when it was lashing rain too. Was so pissed I shoved the last guy so hard I almost fell over. Funnily though the guy turned around after stumbling looking to smash someone but saw me off balance and didn't think it was me. But moral of the story those guys are twats.

Phones up filming and jumping into people fucks me off. Jump up and down, not side to side. Though I fully concede I am getting grumpier and grumpier as I get older and find it very hard not to wish cancer on anyone that intrudes upon my zen-like trance ;)
    Those guys that smashed everyone out of the way needed to have their asses kicked.
  • Options
    There was some woman who kept smacking me in the ass at the Minus The Bear concert. She did this for 2 hours straight. I was on rail with my husband and initially thought she was doing that to get my spot. Later in the evening, I figured out she was a lesbian probably checking out my ass. I finally bumped into her real hard which either gave her what she was looking for or told her to back off. Either way, she finally stopped. 
  • Options
    ^ ^ dear me. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    There was some woman who kept smacking me in the ass at the Minus The Bear concert. She did this for 2 hours straight. I was on rail with my husband and initially thought she was doing that to get my spot. Later in the evening, I figured out she was a lesbian probably checking out my ass. I finally bumped into her real hard which either gave her what she was looking for or told her to back off. Either way, she finally stopped. 
    Not really similar but it reminded me of my wife’s difficulties on the rail at Peak to Sky with another concert goer on the rail.  They were beside each other through the Brandi Carlisle show and we’re talking and friendly.  Once McCready, Klinghoffer, Smith, et al hit the stage of course the crowd got slightly more rambunctious (not crazy but everyone was trying to get a little closer).  As the “squeeze” was put on the rail this previously friendly lady was consistently getting upset with my wife who was merely holding her position on the rail.  It was kind of bizarre really. 
    Peak to Sky was awesome nonetheless. Great time! 
  • Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 859
    deadendp said:i
    Not really similar but it reminded me of my wife’s difficulties on the rail at Peak to Sky with another concert goer on the rail.  They were beside each other through the Brandi Carlisle show and we’re talking and friendly.  Once McCready, Klinghoffer, Smith, et al hit the stage of course the crowd got slightly more rambunctious (not crazy but everyone was trying to get a little closer).  As the “squeeze” was put on the rail this previously friendly lady was consistently getting upset with my wife who was merely holding her position on the rail.  It was kind of bizarre really. 
    Peak to Sky was awesome nonetheless. Great time! 
    Reminds me of being at my customary position at the back of the Point in Dublin leaning against the mixing desk barrier during Slipknot. So many bell ends tried to shove past me despite me pointing to where they should go and were like "Oh...there's a barrier..."to be honest their stupidity was more amusing than their pushing past me was annoying 😂
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    Watching the concert through someone's phone. Or a big ass sign in my line of sight. So basically, inconsiderate people.

I can deal with the foot and car traffic, as that's part of the concert experience. But no one should have to deal with the other.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,378
    JT167846 said:

Same thing happened at PJ Randall's Island show. About 6 ignos locked arms and charged to the front, knocking people over as we were standing on wet tarp.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,973
    PJ_Soul said:
     And has anyone mentioned all the sexual assault that happens in GA yet?? All the groping that men do? Obviously that is worst by far. 
    At an OFF! show, it was packed and a guy was pinning me against the stage(I'm a dude). When I realized he had plenty of room in back of him, I got "really into the music". He may have received a backwards headbutt to the face and got a bloody nose. Later, I found out he was doing the same crap to my wife. People(mostly men) are sick, especially when they think they can get away with it.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 3,015
    No kidding. There are some real scumbags out there. 

I got into it some drunk asshole who was groping a girl at an EV show in Chicago. His advances were visibly not welcome. 

Really felt bad for her that she was in that situation. He was drunk enough that he probably doesn't even remember what happened. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV