Do you carry cash?

Comments

• madtowndavemadtowndave Posts: 4,012
    I only carry cash when I know I'll need it. Plus, if I have cash in my wallet it seems to disappear (I'll spend it faster).
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t carry cash. It’s not big or heavy, a few 20s in your wallet and you don’t even notice, what’s the big deal?
    There are times when you can only tip in cash (free shuttles, valet, prepaid things, etc) and you need cash to tip.
    There are times when cash is a lot easier. I saw Willie Nelson this weekend. Venue held about 6000 and there were just a few big bars. Lines for drinks were 2-3 people deep. I watched for about 7 or 8 minutes waiting each person ordering a few drinks, hand over a card, wait for it to process, wait for a receipt, sign it and hand it back. Those with a tab took even longer waiting for the bartender to find the tab in a giant pile and ask for ID. When it was my turn I asked for 2 beers, dropped some cash and left. Took about 10 seconds verses 2-3 minutes everyone took.

I also often pay local businesses in cash, and more often than not they thank me. Sometimes even give me a discount. I had my chimney swept by a local guy, when he was writing the bill I asked if he prefers cash, he said he’d take off 5 or $10 if I paid cash and thanked me.
    I don’t see any reason to not carry some, and then when you run into a minimum for card it doesn’t matter.
    Carrying change is annoying, a few bills is no big deal.
    I don't carry cash because I feel that it's just more convenient and cheaper not to. I don't like having to actually go get the cash. I have to get it from machines that my own bank owns - otherwise I have to pay fees to withdraw it. I don't want to have to hunt for my bank's machines. Also, I get Scene rewards on my debit Visa and cash back on my Amex. I actually gain from using my cards instead of cash. That last point is the most important, and the main I reason I actually avoid cash whenever possible. Not using it makes all my trips to the movie theatre free, and I get back $200 or so a year from cash back. With the reward factor, I actually don't understand why most people would carry cash (all of my tips can be paid with my card - I'm don't use valets and shuttles, and the majority of people don't IMO, so I'm not relating to that (but sure, if you expect to pay tips in cash for some reason, that's a reason to have some). Anything prepaid includes the tip where I am. And who is still making people sign for credit card payments? Most people just tap the card or their phone on the machine - it's way faster than cash. If they don't have tap (I don't because there is no security with it), you stick in the card and enter a code and it processes in literally 3 seconds. Also, in Canada, card payments at the table is the norm, with portable machines that all the servers carry, so no issues there (I gather that this isn't the norm in the US, but I have no clue why not).
    All of this works for me. If it doesn't for others, I don't care... but at some point cash is going to go away (I hope so, as it's a waste of money of resources IMO). Basically all of it will be done with smartphones and cards and microchips. I'm glad I'll already be used to it when that happens!
    Tips in cash don't have to be reported and people who I tend to tip work hard enough, for little enough, without the govt trying to fuck them some more.  Put the money in their pockets and keep 100% of it.  It is a gift, one of appreciation from me to them - I don't want that being taxable.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    edited November 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t carry cash. It’s not big or heavy, a few 20s in your wallet and you don’t even notice, what’s the big deal?
    There are times when you can only tip in cash (free shuttles, valet, prepaid things, etc) and you need cash to tip.
    There are times when cash is a lot easier. I saw Willie Nelson this weekend. Venue held about 6000 and there were just a few big bars. Lines for drinks were 2-3 people deep. I watched for about 7 or 8 minutes waiting each person ordering a few drinks, hand over a card, wait for it to process, wait for a receipt, sign it and hand it back. Those with a tab took even longer waiting for the bartender to find the tab in a giant pile and ask for ID. When it was my turn I asked for 2 beers, dropped some cash and left. Took about 10 seconds verses 2-3 minutes everyone took.

I also often pay local businesses in cash, and more often than not they thank me. Sometimes even give me a discount. I had my chimney swept by a local guy, when he was writing the bill I asked if he prefers cash, he said he’d take off 5 or $10 if I paid cash and thanked me.
    I don’t see any reason to not carry some, and then when you run into a minimum for card it doesn’t matter.
    I don't carry cash because I feel that it's just more convenient and cheaper not to. I don't like having to actually go get the cash. I have to get it from machines that my own bank owns - otherwise I have to pay fees to withdraw it. I don't want to have to hunt for my bank's machines. Also, I get Scene rewards on my debit Visa and cash back on my Amex. I actually gain from using my cards instead of cash. That last point is the most important, and the main I reason I actually avoid cash whenever possible. Not using it makes all my trips to the movie theatre free, and I get back $200 or so a year from cash back. With the reward factor, I actually don't understand why most people would carry cash (all of my tips can be paid with my card - I'm don't use valets and shuttles, and the majority of people don't IMO, so I'm not relating to that (but sure, if you expect to pay tips in cash for some reason, that's a reason to have some). Anything prepaid includes the tip where I am. And who is still making people sign for credit card payments? Most people just tap the card or their phone on the machine - it's way faster than cash. If they don't have tap (I don't because there is no security with it), you stick in the card and enter a code and it processes in literally 3 seconds. Also, in Canada, card payments at the table is the norm, with portable machines that all the servers carry, so no issues there (I gather that this isn't the norm in the US, but I have no clue why not).
    All of this works for me. If it doesn't for others, I don't care... but at some point cash is going to go away (I hope so, as it's a waste of money of resources IMO). Basically all of it will be done with smartphones and cards and microchips. I'm glad I'll already be used to it when that happens!
    I agree with everything. I use cards for the same reason, cash back (except local shops or restaurants where they request cash, and many do). I still don't see a reason not to just carry $20 on you.
    One of my favorite restaurants is cash only. And if it is that big of a pain to go to the ATM, seems like more of a reason to just carry a little on you for when you need it. I don't know if it works the same in Canada, but almost any grocery store here will give cash back, so I rarely use the atm either.  Its just so much more convenient to have a little cash on hand so when you run into that minimum purchase or cash-only spot its no big deal.
    I lived check to check for a long time too, and it really didn't make a difference. Take out $40 when you get your check, and towards the end when you're running low use that cash instead of the card. When you get paid get $40 cash back on your first purchase.
    Even though I try to use my card whever I can, I find myself needing cash a lot. I go to GreatClips for my haircuts, normally $16 a cut, but if you prepay for 5 they are only $10 each, but you can't include tip. Only way is to leave cash. My wife gets free touch-ups and bang trims from her dresser between cuts, only way to tip is with cash. Some neighbor kid is selling candy for a fund raiser, or girlscout cookies, whatever, they don't carry around credit machines. Need cash. A lot of places around downtown have only free valet parking, need to tip cash. A coffee shop band see's my Pearl Jam shirt and decides to play a PJ song, I'll tip a few bucks. Drive by a yard sale and they have some books or whatever I like, I'll spend a few bucks on some books. 
    I don't carry around a lot, but I hate having $0 cash on me.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

I think the chimney guy was happy not because of credit card fees, but now he won't have to pay taxes.  Ha. 

Yep! So many tradesmen do this.
    Which is why we always pay these fuckers with a check.

You make enough money to afford a fleet of expensive trucks, equipment and whatnot; you can afford to pay your fucking taxes like the rest of us.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

Tips in cash don't have to be reported and people who I tend to tip work hard enough, for little enough, without the govt trying to fuck them some more.  Put the money in their pockets and keep 100% of it.  It is a gift, one of appreciation from me to them - I don't want that being taxable.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

I think the chimney guy was happy not because of credit card fees, but now he won't have to pay taxes.  Ha. 

You make enough money to afford a fleet of expensive trucks, equipment and whatnot; you can afford to pay your fucking taxes like the rest of us.
    Agreed!  Though I'm with F Me on straight tipping well for great service.
  • dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

Mr White's speech holds true.
    I did predict you would mention that -- it is certainly the scene I thought of.

(Now, give me my dollar back!)
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

Mr White's speech holds true.
    I did predict you would mention that -- it is certainly the scene I thought of.

(Now, give me my dollar back!)
    Mr. White is a fool. The whole film he's a fool.

And I always tip servers in cash -- when in Brooklyn. :smile:

Also, the Beachcomber's Big Daddy always gets a ton of cash from me. That man is a legend.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

That's actually not true.  Cash tips are required to be reported.

They are LESS likely to be reported but that's another angle.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

True, if you are following the law.  Fuck the govt taxaty pla .
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

Day drinking again?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

What does a check have to do with it? The IRS doesn't track checks do hey, isn't it just as easy to heat taxes with a check as it is cash? Or is it somehow reported?
    mace1229 said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

What does a check have to do with it? The IRS doesn't track checks do hey, isn't it just as easy to heat taxes with a check as it is cash? Or is it somehow reported?
    It is a line item on the company’s bank statement. It would be reckless and ultimately unlawful to fail to report it. 

Cash, of course, just goes in their pocket—or sock in my pop’s (mechanic) case. No paper trail. 

Anything with a paper trail, and you’re taking a much bigger (and stupider) risk in not reporting it. 

If the people ask me to make out the check to them personally instead of to their company, I make sure to include the company name and work done on the memo/for line so that they think twice about keeping the payment under the table. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited November 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

I want everyone to pay their taxes as required by law. I'm a socialist, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

Day drinking again?
    Haha.  I tried to rush that as my happy hour guests arrived, so not far off on your guess.
    Govt tax plan.  ;)
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,835
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:

It sucks for the employers that do things the right way.  It is tough to compete with companies that can charge less because they aren't paying taxes like they should, and pay their employees a similar salary but under the table so taxes are not taken out.
  • Yep. Don't like using my card everywhere. All the Chinese restaurants around me say they're number 1. Sketchy. 
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    I carry cash, usually less than $100, though and prefer to pay with card or phone.

Tip in cash, almost always.
    This is important, folks.  Tip in cash if you can.
    Yes, that I agree with, if we're going out for dinner, I always make sure I have cash for a tip.  My niece used to waitress and she told me it's always best for the server if you tip in cash.  That I understand.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    Wobbie said:
    I ALWAYS have cash. always.

I hate you fuckers who I gotta wait behind while the machine reads your chip so you can buy a red bull.

P.S. I actually like some of you fuckers in this thread but hate any any stranger I am waiting on.

P.P.S. of it hasn’t been mentioned, i‘ve heard of some businesses that won’t take cash. millennial businesses. :angry:
    They just passed a law here in Philly that all business have to accept cash.  I understand that as well.  They say if you don't it hurts lower income people, those who may not have a bank account and therefore, only use cash.  But nowadays with access to cards where you can add cash to and use it anywhere . . . but again, really low income people may be affected by that as well.  I'm not out to hurt the low income people.  I'm just pissed at the business passing on their charge to me and denying me the ability to purchase what I want if I don't spend enough.  Screw that.
  • Two nights in a row on the airport parking shuttle.
    Last night I hand the annoying driver (for a number of reasons) a $20 and ask her for change as she drops me off at my car.  
    She says "I don't have any cash for change"
    I say " I only have a $20, sorry."
    Someone else on the shuttle says "driver, I think your tip is that if you want to get tips you need to have some change for people.:lol:

Tonight the guy was really pleasant and happy as he did his job.  He got a tenner.

No way I would wait on the way off the shuttle (and hold everyone else on their way home up) to process a tip amount with a card.
    The Cash Whip.
    It's what's for good service.
    I carry cash, usually less than $100, though and prefer to pay with card or phone.

Yes, that I agree with, if we're going out for dinner, I always make sure I have cash for a tip.  My niece used to waitress and she told me it's always best for the server if you tip in cash.  That I understand.
    I assume it’s best because they can lie on their tax returns or not split fairly with the cook and bus boy if it’s all cash?
    Why else is it best?
  • Back in the day when tending bar and serving there were many pubs and restaurants that would hold back you tips..charge you for broken glassware etc..all illegal but as a young person it was difficult if not impossible to challenge your employer and still keep your job or not get shifts if you mentioned anything...not sure that has changed much...it is a tough business...
  • Because they make shit for hourly pay because of the idea that they get tips.  Most people are fucking tightwads and don't tip well.

Everyone I know who worked in a restaurant setting pooled tips.

• deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    mace1229 said:

I assume it’s best because they can lie on their tax returns or not split fairly with the cook and bus boy if it’s all cash?
    Why else is it best?
    I know of one place that deducts a percentage from tips paid on credit card to offset processing fees.  That could be the reason and not just to quickly assume it is to screw people or pay lower taxes. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,083
    edited November 2019
    In case my other posts didn't make it clear, I don't care if they "lie on their tax returns".  
    edited November 2019
    I’ve known quite a few waiters/waitresses, especially when I lived in LA. Most were pretty open about not reporting tips (and there’s obviously different opinions about that here) and even not splitting it fairly with the cooks and bus boys. 
    I never knew any of them to have to pay for broken glassware or CC fees. That is total crap if a place does that, but I doubt it’s very common at all.
    I’ll also admit I’m a hypocrite. I pay a lot in taxes, it annoys me when others don’t and still enjoy the same tax-paid benefits. But if my income was mostly cash I don’t know if I could avoid the temptation to not report it accurately.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    Most restaurants have the servers tip out bartenders, bussers, back-of-house, etc. based on percentage of their sales and not based on the amount of tips made. That way the entire staff gets their fair cut regardless of the manner in which the tip was provided.
  • I pay a hell of a lot in taxes as well - certainly more than most wait staff actually make.  That doesn't change my position.  
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Posts: 1,504
    edited November 2019
    Hobbes said:
    Most restaurants have the servers tip out bartenders, bussers, back-of-house, etc. based on percentage of their sales and not based on the amount of tips made. That way the entire staff gets their fair cut regardless of the manner in which the tip was provided.
    As a former busboy, bar back, and also a waiter, I can confirm. Every restaurant I've worked for, all waiters had to shell out 3% of their sales for the hosts, bussers, etc. Also, from what I remember, the system always assumed waiters get tipped 8% regardless for tax purposes. Like wage + 8% of sales were in our W2s. So yes, tipping cash helps, but not that much, because they pay taxes on tips regardless. Nobody's safe! Never worked at a mom and pop place though. I'm sure cash is king in those places. I kinda miss waiting.
    Post edited by crookedcross on
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,835
    Looks like this has turned into a tax paying contest.