Do you carry cash?

I went to a local produce store today with the intention of buying apples and cucumbers. The cost was $4.  When I attempted to pay with my debit card the cashier said there was an $8 minimum to use a card. I said I don’t have any cash on me.  He said, I can’t let you slide.  I left the items on the counter and walked out.

It’s not a matter of buying $4 more of items, it’s the principle.  I didn’t want anything else or I would have included other items in my purchase.

I very rarely have cash on hand.  Nowadays, people don’t even have a card on hand, they use their phone.

Afterward, I visited with family and discussed the situation.  One of my family members was appalled that I don’t carry cash.  Who doesn’t carry cash?? was her indignant reply.  

Most people, am I right??  And shouldn't business's adapt? I was pissed, I just don't get it.  This place does MEGA business, you can't tell me they can't work out a deal with their provider that doesn't pass the cost off on the consumer.

Comments

• I went to a local produce store today with the intention of buying apples and cucumbers. The cost was $4.  When I attempted to pay with my debit card the cashier said there was an $8 minimum to use a card. I said I don’t have any cash on me.  He said, I can’t let you slide.  I left the items on the counter and walked out.

It’s not a matter of buying $4 more of items, it’s the principle.  I didn’t want anything else or I would have included other items in my purchase.

I very rarely have cash on hand.  Nowadays, people don’t even have a card on hand, they use their phone.

Afterward, I visited with family and discussed the situation.  One of my family members was appalled that I don’t carry cash.  Who doesn’t carry cash?? was her indignant reply.  

Most people, am I right??  And shouldn't business's adapt? I was pissed, I just don't get it.  This place does MEGA business, you can't tell me they can't work out a deal with their provider that doesn't pass the cost off on the consumer.
    Are you under 25?

Stores are realising that they can make more money by not taking American Express cards and also by doing cash only.
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    Dude, I used my card for a cup of coffee at a youth hockey concession stand today. Even a tiny business such as that is smart enough to realize the universal truth is that no one carries cash anymore. 

I do feel a lot worse for homeless people these days for that very reason, though. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,710
    I don’t carry cash but have always accepted card minimums as a way of life but get where you are coming from at this point 
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    yes never less than $40 in my wallet. I do agree though that business has to accept a card. I’m guessing there is a charge to the business to process it and that’s why they don’t accept it for such a small cost. Bad business move for them 
    pjhawks said:
    yes never less than $40 in my wallet. I do agree though that business has to accept a card. I’m guessing there is a charge to the business to process it and that’s why they don’t accept it for such a small cost. Bad business move for them 
    You’re guessing there is a credit card processing fee?!? Holy shit you cracked the code
    pjhawks said:
    You’re guessing there is a credit card processing fee?!? Holy shit you cracked the code
    Debit not credit.  If only he played ball for bama  football he could get his meals free 
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Debit not credit.  If only he played ball for bama  football he could get his meals free 
    Hmmm, didn’t realize companies break out different machines (processing companies) for debit and credit cards.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798

I went to a local produce store today with the intention of buying apples and cucumbers. The cost was $4.  When I attempted to pay with my debit card the cashier said there was an $8 minimum to use a card. I said I don’t have any cash on me.  He said, I can’t let you slide.  I left the items on the counter and walked out.

Are you under 25?

Stores are realising that they can make more money by not taking American Express cards and also by doing cash only.
    If I could turn back time, yes I could be under 25.  I was using a debit bank card, pretty much same as cash, comes right out of my account into the merchant's account.  Here's a question for you, do you live in America???
    dankind said:
    Dude, I used my card for a cup of coffee at a youth hockey concession stand today. Even a tiny business such as that is smart enough to realize the universal truth is that no one carries cash anymore. 

I do feel a lot worse for homeless people these days for that very reason, though. 
    As do I for the homeless on the street.  I've often thought about this very thing, most people don't carry cash.  
    There are two options...slightly higher costs of goods to cover the processing costs or a card minimum who pay the vendor less for the same goods. People who pay cash lose out on one. Processing companies make out on the other 
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Hmmm, didn’t realize companies break out different machines (processing companies) for debit and credit cards.
     I don’t know what they charge for debit. I don’t work for a fucking convenience store.  What does tua pay for coffee? Oh wait he doesn’t.  

I don’t understand not carrying cash. 
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
     I don’t know what they charge for debit. I don’t work for a fucking convenience store.  What does tua pay for coffee? Oh wait he doesn’t.  

I don’t understand not carrying cash. 
    Debit/credit...any company that plays middle man between shopper, store and money is going to charge a fee regardless of if they are paying credit or debit
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    I usually have cash with me...just for instances like this...

I have an Uncle that pays cash for pretty much everything...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    I'll have cash on me only for something specific.  Otherwise, I use my debit card for everything and have never been charged a fee to do so.

(I don't give cash to the local homeless folks anymore because of this, but I do sometimes offer up unused $5-ish giftcards for markets and small eateries :) )

It's too bad the company you went to doesn't seem to care about losing a sale - or sales, P&E.
    Do you wait to get your card out until you get up to the register too? Those people drive me crazy
    Ok, so this is what I was trying to find out, is this normal. I assumed (possibly incorrectly) that if the business made a certain dollar amount, they were not charged processing fees.  Or they shouldn't be.  It should be built into their business expense, not passed on to the consumer.  I'm not talking a mom and pop shop here, this place does MEGA business.  
    Ok, so this is what I was trying to find out, is this normal. I assumed (possibly incorrectly) that if the business made a certain dollar amount, they were not charged processing fees.  Or they shouldn't be.  It should be built into their business expense, not passed on to the consumer.  I'm not talking a mom and pop shop here, this place does MEGA business.  
    Yes, the mega business is much different and to your and my point, should just be passed off to the consumer in extremely small increase in costs. It’s generally bad business for them to have a minimum at that level.

Square and the like charge a massive amount because businesses that use them, can’t really get a bigger company to work with and they Can charge a shit load. So you’ll see those businesses almost always have a minimum.

Every business bakes it into their costs, whether it be through minimums or cost of goods. Some are more convenient for customers than others.

Side note, I may or may not be invested in a small credit card processing business 

hedonist said:
    I'll have cash on me only for something specific.  Otherwise, I use my debit card for everything and have never been charged a fee to do so.

(I don't give cash to the local homeless folks anymore because of this, but I do sometimes offer up unused $5-ish giftcards for markets and small eateries :) )

It's too bad the company you went to doesn't seem to care about losing a sale - or sales, P&E.

Oh Hedo, sale(s) is the correct term.  I will never shop there again.  I will go so far as to not accept produce that my father has purchased from this establishment.  He goes there all the time and will say, do you need some apples, grapes?  My father is 86 and yes, he carries cash all the time.  He was part of the family gathering today and when I was leaving he said, do you need some cash so you can go and get your produce.  No dad, thanks, but no, I'll manage.  :)  

pjhawks said:
    Do you wait to get your card out until you get up to the register too? Those people drive me crazy
    Oh hell no, I usually put it in my back pocket so I can't quickly access it.  
    edited November 2019
    Stuffy comment... in 2019 carrying and paying for things in cash is poor money management unless you are getting a better price 
  • I rarely use cash. I always tap and go with my card.
    But many places I go have a minimum spend so I always have about $50 in my wallet.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,620
    Both.  Actually, all three:  I carry cash, a checkbook and credit cards.  If what I'm buying is from a major chain store, I used the credit card to give my wife airline miles with which to go visit her daughter (unless its under 10 few bucks, then I just pay cash.) 

If the store is a small business, family owned business, or charity thrift store, I pay cash.  If it's more than I have on me, I offer to write a check in order to save them money.  If they don't accept checks, I either come back with cash or use a credit card as a last resort.

My feeling is that using credit cards at most small businesses is... how shall I put it?... very not cool.

But using credit cards at corporate stores and paying the c/c bill off in full each month is smart.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• brianlux said:
    Both.  Actually, all three:  I carry cash, a checkbook and credit cards.  If what I'm buying is from a major chain store, I used the credit card to give my wife airline miles with which to go visit her daughter (unless its under 10 few bucks, then I just pay cash.) 

If the store is a small business, family owned business, or charity thrift store, I pay cash.  If it's more than I have on me, I offer to write a check in order to save them money.  If they don't accept checks, I either come back with cash or use a credit card as a last resort.

My feeling is that using credit cards at most small businesses is... how shall I put it?... very not cool.

But using credit cards at corporate stores and paying the c/c bill off in full each month is smart.

Totally where I am at as well...

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:

Do people still use checks?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,083
    edited November 2019

Not allowed in Sweden to reject credit card under a specific amount or taking an extra charge for using a credit card. Even though I guess some shop owners are getting fleeced by their banks.

And, I only use my card. Never carry cash. 

And I have never seen a checkbook out in public in my life. Or at least not in the last 20 years,.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Yes
  • I carry cash, usually less than $100, though and prefer to pay with card or phone.

Tip in cash, almost always.
    This is important, folks.  Tip in cash if you can.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Also, big reason to carry cash, for me, is The Cash Whip.
    You get more things, faster, and with better service, with The Cash Whip.
    Also a great feeling to drop a $20 on someone expecting a buck or two.  Help the folks working hourly have a better day.
    Give me good service, with a smile, you get The Cash Whip.
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    edited November 2019

Not allowed in Sweden to reject credit card under a specific amount or taking an extra charge for using a credit card. Even though I guess some shop owners are getting fleeced by their banks.

And, I only use my card. Never carry cash. 

And I have never seen a checkbook out in public in my life. Or at least not in the last 20 years,.
    Technically, it should be the same way here. Contractually speaking with credit cards, if you accept the card, you accept any charge amount. There is not to be a minimum amount and are not to be surcharges. I know this because back in college, I used to work for a mom and pop wedding boutique. The owner used to charge a credit card use fee and we received letters from credit card agencies all the time to stop it. 

The shop you patronize always has to pay a credit/debit card processing fee with some credit cards costing more to process than others. (AMEX would be the one I am thinking of.) 

Last Sunday, we were at a smaller chain farm type market. All I could find that I wanted at that time was a pear. I had $40 cash (rare for me) and my debit and credit cards. I had my daughter put the pear back. I would not charge it and I did not want to break a 20 for it. 

My husband does not care. I have Discover alerts and he once charged 25 cents for a bolt. I asked him if he lost his mind. 

Like Brian, I do have my checkbook in my purse. This is for church contributions and to pay school fees for my daughter. I believe that when I contributed to something Dankind was collecting for, informed him of my lack of PayPal and needed to send a check, he called me blue hair. He accepted it, though. :smiley:

I do carry a handful of singles this time of year for the red kettle collection, but noticed that they have now added electronic payments. I will only donate cash because of fees, but it's nice they have it. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Blue Hair Alert!

;)