Do you carry cash?

Comments

• Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    edited November 2019
    What I don't get is the credit card fee would be a business expense so the company should just be able to write it off at tax time, so why the need to pass on the fee to the consumer? 
    Post edited by Thorns2010 on
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,758
    I usually do, yes. Just in case.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,672
    I usually always have atleast $40 in my wallet
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138

• HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    See the source image
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,391
    I carry cash, usually less than $100, though and prefer to pay with card or phone.

Tip in cash, almost always.
    This is important, folks.  Tip in cash if you can.
    I agree with this.  If I am going out to eat I ll get some cash from the atm.  Otherwise I usually have no more than $10 on me, everything else I debit.  
    Brian you use a check book?!?! Do you then go home and call the bank on your rotary phone to make the transfer?  ;)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,653
    Just my lucky silver dollar

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138

• Jason P said:

Are those fejk dollars only printed on one side?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    I ALWAYS have cash. always.

I hate you fuckers who I gotta wait behind while the machine reads your chip so you can buy a red bull.

P.S. I actually like some of you fuckers in this thread but hate any any stranger I am waiting on.

P.P.S. of it hasn’t been mentioned, i‘ve heard of some businesses that won’t take cash. millennial businesses. :angry:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I don't use cash for much of anything, but I typically carry about $20-$30 for just in case things. The only time I carry more is when I'm traveling. My bank likes to freeze your card if it's used outside of its regular area, even if you notify them that you are traveling.
  • Wobbie said:

I hate you fuckers who I gotta wait behind while the machine reads your chip so you can buy a red bull.

P.S. I actually like some of you fuckers in this thread but hate any any stranger I am waiting on.

P.P.S. of it hasn’t been mentioned, i‘ve heard of some businesses that won’t take cash. millennial businesses. :angry:

That was killed in Jersey.  Must take cash as an option 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Wobbie said:

Nah! Paying with a card is faster. Waiting on some kid to count back exact change is the real killer.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    There’s a guy in my fantasy football league that pays his entry fee with a personal check. If I was the commissioner I’d tell him to pound sand. I mean, who pays for fantasy football with a check?! The dudes under 40 years old as well. 
    edited November 2019
    bbiggs said:
    There’s a guy in my fantasy football league that pays his entry fee with a personal check. If I was the commissioner I’d tell him to pound sand. I mean, who pays for fantasy football with a check?! The dudes under 40 years old as well. 
    Is venmo and PayPal illegal in the midwest?
    Italians carry cash.  I think it is a requirement.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    ^ I don’t even understand it.

For those that carry cash, how do you organize your bills?  There is a correct way, for the record. Largest bills on the inside...always. 
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Now the question is, do you carry coins?

I say fuck coins!  We keep quarters in a bowl for the laundry, and other loose change in a jar which is "credited" every few years at the market I frequent.

bbiggs, I typically keep the smaller denominations on the inside; not for showing off, just easier for me.
    bbiggs said:

For those that carry cash, how do you organize your bills?  There is a correct way, for the record. Largest bills on the inside...always. 
    Not if you're a wiseguy. "Beaner on the outside."

https://youtu.be/ODPJOQX5We4
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,835

I carry cash.  Don't see what the big deal is.  Maybe $100 on me at the most.  Typically use credit card for everything but sometimes helpful to have cash sometimes.

I do keep about $100 in cash in the glove compartment of my car, and then a couple hundred bucks at home.  One weekend I lost my wallet, and another time left my wallet at home and had no money to buy gas after getting about an hour into my trip.  Luckily I knew someone in town and could bum a few bucks.  I'm not a scatterbrain, these are the two time I've left my wallet behind in my 38 years. 

bbiggs said:

Large bills always on the inside!
  • If I was a heroin dealer on the streets I'd carry an electronic payment device. 
    Tap and go for a bag.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Someone mentioned change.

I have a 5 gallon jug that I am trying to fill up.  It's a life goal apparently, lol.
  • bbiggs said:
    There is a guy here who organizes leagues for all sports and pays via check.
    I won't out him....
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    dankind said:
    Dude, I used my card for a cup of coffee at a youth hockey concession stand today. Even a tiny business such as that is smart enough to realize the universal truth is that no one carries cash anymore. 
    I'm sure they appreciated paying the 3.5% fee. Think of the kids!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited November 2019

Paying with a card is way faster than paying with cash when you can tap the card.  That is practically instantaneous.

Some places still make you sign a receipt for an $8 lunch.  Crazy.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,651

I always carry cash.

Your local hooker, stripper, bookie and drug dealer generally only take cash.

This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:

I always carry cash.

Your local hooker, stripper, bookie and drug dealer generally only take cash.

I think this pretty much concludes the thread.  Cash is a necessity. 
    Not only do large bills have to go on the inside (in order from 1 to 100), but all bills must be facing the same way and organized. Nothing worse than having to fumble around between different denominations and/or direction of the bills when counting it. I don’t always carry cash, but when I do, it must be organized...