Do you carry cash?

12346»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,620
    I've never considered not filling all the way up since becoming an adult with a bank account.
    Remember as a teen putting $5 or $10 in because that was all I had.
    When I was a teen, $5 or $10 was a fill up.  :lol: 

But I know what you mean- when we were young, most of us could only afford to put in a gallon or two.  Now, I almost never let my fuel get much below half a tank and very rarely let it get down to the last couple of gallons.  It's kind of a security thing.  I like knowing that most of the time I could, if I had to, go somewhere between 400 to 500 miles nonstop before running dry.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    edited November 2019
    brianlux said:
    I've never considered not filling all the way up since becoming an adult with a bank account.

But I know what you mean- when we were young, most of us could only afford to put in a gallon or two.  Now, I almost never let my fuel get much below half a tank and very rarely let it get down to the last couple of gallons.  It's kind of a security thing.  I like knowing that most of the time I could, if I had to, go somewhere between 400 to 500 miles nonstop before running dry.

I still regularly only put $10 in. But usually for 1 of 2 reasons. 
    1) we are downtown or someplace where gas is 10 or 20 cents more per gallon and I just want some for a couple days and refill at my local station where it’s cheap.
    2) far more common than scenario 1- its 4 degrees outside and I want enough just to get to work and then fill up in the afternoon when it breaks 20. The problem is I’ll have enough gas to get home in the afternoon and I tell myself I’m just tired and want to get home. This cycle repeats for 3-4 days until I just fill up in the bitter cold anyway.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,620
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

I still regularly only put $10 in. But usually for 1 of 2 reasons. 
    1) we are downtown or someplace where gas is 10 or 20 cents more per gallon and I just want some for a couple days and refill at my local station where it’s cheap.
    2) far more common than scenario 1- its 4 degrees outside and I want enough just to get to work and then fill up in the afternoon when it breaks 20. The problem is I’ll have enough gas to get home in the afternoon and I tell myself I’m just tired and want to get home. This cycle repeats for 3-4 days until I just fill up in the bitter cold anyway.
    Brrrr! 

I lived in western NY state for a couple of winters.  The filling up- or doing anything out doors- was always a major chilling experiencing.  The worst was going the 50 yards or so from my car to the building in temps with wind chill factor at around 60 below (Fahrenheit).
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    dankind said:
    It was $2 to get to my dealer’s and back. 
    Oh God, that cracked me up.