Do you carry cash?

Comments

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,759
    Someone mentioned change.

I have a 5 gallon jug that I am trying to fill up.  It's a life goal apparently, lol.
    I have a 5 Gallon jug too and it's also my goal to  fill it.

But, i don't think i'm gonna make it.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,946
    ^I’ve been trying to fill a handle of vodka with change for close to 10 years now. Shows how often I use cash. 
  • Paying with a card is way faster than paying with cash when you can tap the card.  That is practically instantaneous.

Some places still make you sign a receipt for an $8 lunch.  Crazy.

There's a croissanterie here that only accepts card payments as it speeds up the line. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • cutz said:
    Someone mentioned change.

I have a 5 gallon jug that I am trying to fill up.  It's a life goal apparently, lol.
    I have a 5 Gallon jug too and it's also my goal to  fill it.

But, i don't think i'm gonna make it.
    bbiggs said:
    ^I’ve been trying to fill a handle of vodka with change for close to 10 years now. Shows how often I use cash. 
    I don't put my change in any special container, but about 2 years ago I deposited over $700 of accumulated change. The tellers at that bank weren't too happy with me that day.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,779
    Must have at least $100 cash at all times.  Cash only businesses seem to be popping up just as often as no cash businesses.  Lots of places near me have $10 minimums for debit/credit transactions.  No biggie.  Be prepared.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,466
    Cash carries me.
    www.myspace.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,620
    brianlux said:
    Both.  Actually, all three:  I carry cash, a checkbook and credit cards.  If what I'm buying is from a major chain store, I used the credit card to give my wife airline miles with which to go visit her daughter (unless its under 10 few bucks, then I just pay cash.) 

If the store is a small business, family owned business, or charity thrift store, I pay cash.  If it's more than I have on me, I offer to write a check in order to save them money.  If they don't accept checks, I either come back with cash or use a credit card as a last resort.

My feeling is that using credit cards at most small businesses is... how shall I put it?... very not cool.

But using credit cards at corporate stores and paying the c/c bill off in full each month is smart.
    Do people still use checks?
    Sure do.  Not as many as used to be but some. 

At the bookstore, if someone buys a $4 book and pulls out a credit card, we ask if they per chance have cash or a check.  If not, we do not turn down the credit card sale (but using a credit card on a $4 book means we are basically selling it at cost).  Though not always, sometimes the customer will say, "Sure, I can write you a check", and for that we are grateful.

It would be thoughtful for those who use a credit card for small purchases to understand that doing so at a small business is hurtful to that business.  If you like or love your independent retailer, please consider using cash or a check on small purchases.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ^^^This 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • I use cash most of the time still. Don't like big brother knowing where I am & what I'm buying. I may be paranoid, but I think people are watching me 😉🤣. 
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,651
    I use cash most of the time still. Don't like big brother knowing where I am & what I'm buying. I may be paranoid, but I think people are watching me 😉🤣. 
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Cashless, or minimal cash here. My mom still gives a bday card with some 20's in it as a cheeky gift. Which usually supplies me for the year.

Paying with cash means everything is rounded up to the nearest dollar on all transactions, because I'm definitely not going to carry change around.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Cashless, or minimal cash here. My mom still gives a bday card with some 20's in it as a cheeky gift. Which usually supplies me for the year.

Paying with cash means everything is rounded up to the nearest dollar on all transactions, because I'm definitely not going to carry change around.
    I use the "keep the change" feature for my debit card; round-ups are automatically transferred to my savings account.

(and my mom still does the money-in-card thing with me too!)
  • Old southern European men like my dad do not believe in anything other than cash.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,888
    edited November 2019
    Basically never. The ONLY time I ever do is when I know it's a cash only situation (obviously), and that is extremely rare. It really only happens at the grey market weed dispensary, hahaha. Where I live, the transition to enabling a cashless society has gone very well - we've been mostly ahead of the game in that context here.
    Oh, and I always carry a loonie for the shopping carts.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    Both.  Actually, all three:  I carry cash, a checkbook and credit cards.  If what I'm buying is from a major chain store, I used the credit card to give my wife airline miles with which to go visit her daughter (unless its under 10 few bucks, then I just pay cash.) 

If the store is a small business, family owned business, or charity thrift store, I pay cash.  If it's more than I have on me, I offer to write a check in order to save them money.  If they don't accept checks, I either come back with cash or use a credit card as a last resort.

My feeling is that using credit cards at most small businesses is... how shall I put it?... very not cool.

But using credit cards at corporate stores and paying the c/c bill off in full each month is smart.

It would be thoughtful for those who use a credit card for small purchases to understand that doing so at a small business is hurtful to that business.  If you like or love your independent retailer, please consider using cash or a check on small purchases.

hear that, dan?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    Wobbie said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

hear that, dan?
    I don’t like (and I certainly don’t love) a single independent retailer around here.

FWIW, I used cash in Brooklyn all the time.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HobbesHobbes Posts: 6,418
    Cash carries me.

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,620
    dankind said:
    Wobbie said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

hear that, dan?
    I don’t like (and I certainly don’t love) a single independent retailer around here.

Sorry to hear that.  I would be bummed.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,653
    dankind said:
    Wobbie said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

hear that, dan?

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    Wobbie said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

hear that, dan?

The only thing that keeps me going is my exit plan. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,653

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,651
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    Wobbie said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

hear that, dan?

It's what keeps the rest of the state going as well.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    Wobbie said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

hear that, dan?

It's what keeps the rest of the state going as well.
    :lol: Twelve more years, after which my children will be excellent test takers. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,257
    edited November 2019
    I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t carry cash. It’s not big or heavy, a few 20s in your wallet and you don’t even notice, what’s the big deal?
    There are times when you can only tip in cash (free shuttles, valet, prepaid things, etc) and you need cash to tip.
    There are times when cash is a lot easier. I saw Willie Nelson this weekend. Venue held about 6000 and there were just a few big bars. Lines for drinks were 2-3 people deep. I watched for about 7 or 8 minutes waiting each person ordering a few drinks, hand over a card, wait for it to process, wait for a receipt, sign it and hand it back. Those with a tab took even longer waiting for the bartender to find the tab in a giant pile and ask for ID. When it was my turn I asked for 2 beers, dropped some cash and left. Took about 10 seconds verses 2-3 minutes everyone took.

I also often pay local businesses in cash, and more often than not they thank me. Sometimes even give me a discount. I had my chimney swept by a local guy, when he was writing the bill I asked if he prefers cash, he said he’d take off 5 or $10 if I paid cash and thanked me.
    I don’t see any reason to not carry some, and then when you run into a minimum for card it doesn’t matter.
    Carrying change is annoying, a few bills is no big deal.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,835
    mace1229 said:
    I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t carry cash. It’s not big or heavy, a few 20s in your wallet and you don’t even notice, what’s the big deal?
    There are times when you can only tip in cash (free shuttles, valet, prepaid things, etc) and you need cash to tip.
    There are times when cash is a lot easier. I saw Willie Nelson this weekend. Venue held about 6000 and there were just a few big bars. Lines for drinks were 2-3 people deep. I watched for about 7 or 8 minutes waiting each person ordering a few drinks, hand over a card, wait for it to process, wait for a receipt, sign it and hand it back. Those with a tab took even longer waiting for the bartender to find the tab in a giant pile and ask for ID. When it was my turn I asked for 2 beers, dropped some cash and left. Took about 10 seconds verses 2-3 minutes everyone took.

I also often pay local businesses in cash, and more often than not they thank me. Sometimes even give me a discount. I had my chimney swept by a local guy, when he was writing the bill I asked if he prefers cash, he said he’d take off 5 or $10 if I paid cash and thanked me.
    I don’t see any reason to not carry some, and then when you run into a minimum for card it doesn’t matter.
    I think the chimney guy was happy not because of credit card fees, but now he won't have to pay taxes.  Ha. 

• This thread is depressing as shit when you live paycheck to paycheck.
    This thread is depressing as shit when you live paycheck to paycheck.
    Why? I live that way, and don't know what you mean.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited November 2019
    mace1229 said:

I don't carry cash because I feel that it's just more convenient and cheaper not to. I don't like having to actually go get the cash. I have to get it from machines that my own bank owns - otherwise I have to pay fees to withdraw it. I don't want to have to hunt for my bank's machines. Also, I get Scene rewards on my debit Visa and cash back on my Amex. I actually gain from using my cards instead of cash. That last point is the most important, and the main I reason I actually avoid cash whenever possible. Not using it makes all my trips to the movie theatre free, and I get back $200 or so a year from cash back. With the reward factor, I actually don't understand why most people would carry cash (all of my tips can be paid with my card - I'm don't use valets and shuttles, and the majority of people don't IMO, so I'm not relating to that (but sure, if you expect to pay tips in cash for some reason, that's a reason to have some). Anything prepaid includes the tip where I am. And who is still making people sign for credit card payments? Most people just tap the card or their phone on the machine - it's way faster than cash. If they don't have tap (I don't because there is no security with it), you stick in the card and enter a code and it processes in literally 3 seconds. Also, in Canada, card payments at the table is the norm, with portable machines that all the servers carry, so no issues there (I gather that this isn't the norm in the US, but I have no clue why not).
    All of this works for me. If it doesn't for others, I don't care... but at some point cash is going to go away (I hope so, as it's a waste of money of resources IMO). Basically all of it will be done with smartphones and cards and microchips. I'm glad I'll already be used to it when that happens!
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • PJ_Soul said:
    This thread is depressing as shit when you live paycheck to paycheck.
    Why? I live that way, and don't know what you mean.
    Seeing all these people that have "extra" money to just always carry around with them that doesn't need spent (emphasis on need, meaning to pay bills, food, etc).  People stashing $20, 50, 100 in their wallet, glove box, fridge, etc and just forgetting about it "for a rainy day."  Wish I had that luxury.
    mace1229 said:

I think the chimney guy was happy not because of credit card fees, but now he won't have to pay taxes.  Ha. 

Yep! So many tradesmen do this.