Options

2020 United States & Canada Tour Rumors

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,090
    Alternate answer: The only way a tour like that will "work" is if you use it as a fundraiser. X amount of ticket sales/merch. Maybe you have orgs taking donations or registering voters. But you better have an interesting approach if you think you're changing anyone's mind at a concert in 2019.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Just play music please. Problem solved. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,155
    kst said:
    rummy said:
    Noload said:
    I may have missed it, but has anyone brought up Alpine Valley as a possibility? It’s back open. I also believe Mike has said it’s on his list of favorite venues to play.
    There are no credible rumors for US shows in 2020.  I think we all would be shocked if they don't playin 2020 in the US but so far no cities have been rumored.    They'll never play Alpine Valley again as long as they can play Wrigley (that is my own two cents). 
    Wasn't the rumor for the USA tour in the fall to coincide with the reelection?

Euro has all the rumors  now bc their tour is to start in about 6 months and the festivals are about to announce headliners?
    Yeah, my guess is they go out in the Fall for the reelection.  Hit some swing states.  
    This is an honest question that the response above made me think of. 

Does anyone still believe a rock band can still go out and start a movement for political change in the United States? 

It seems to me that with the over saturation of news and/or propaganda that is spread through TV, social media, and other outlets, a band like Pearl Jam is preaching to the choir. Not saying their whole base is one way or another but saying most people have their minds made up and no amount of shows are going to change that. But I’m a huge pessimist and don’t live in a swing state so I just want a tour with shows I can drive to. 
    I think I'm in full agreement/understanding about what you are saying. I love PJ and rock music but it's no longer 1994 (or 2004) and that ship has probably sailed - for both the band and many (not all) fans.
    Just to take the other side for the sake of argument, there might be a small percentage of people who are influenced either to vote at all or to vote a certain way based on what they hear at a concert.  It’s probably not many people given what the OP has stated, but in places where the vote is really close, a few hundred people here and there could make a difference.  Ed’s passion about certain issues is impactful to an extent. And even if it doesn’t actually have an impact, the band may take the approach that it’s worth a shot, particularly if they are inclined to do a few shows anyway.

Promise a show to any state that went red last time that flips in a change election. Limit it it 6 states. They can easily work shows into OH PA FL MI WI. Have the states with the longest "PJ drought" be the tiebreaker.

Throw it at the wall and hope it works. Might as well offer something you have that is enormously coveted that will generate attention. One could contend that they'd probably play alot of these states anyway in their  PJ30 year but promising the possibility in advance will generate buzz.

But I agree due to over saturation of media and our tribal mentality the standard electioneering has much less impact currently 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,940
    A rock band might influence someone to vote who otherwise wouldn't, but beyond that I don't think they would have much of an impact. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    kst said:
    rummy said:
    Noload said:
    I may have missed it, but has anyone brought up Alpine Valley as a possibility? It’s back open. I also believe Mike has said it’s on his list of favorite venues to play.
    There are no credible rumors for US shows in 2020.  I think we all would be shocked if they don't playin 2020 in the US but so far no cities have been rumored.    They'll never play Alpine Valley again as long as they can play Wrigley (that is my own two cents). 

Euro has all the rumors  now bc their tour is to start in about 6 months and the festivals are about to announce headliners?
    Yeah, my guess is they go out in the Fall for the reelection.  Hit some swing states.  

Does anyone still believe a rock band can still go out and start a movement for political change in the United States? 

It seems to me that with the over saturation of news and/or propaganda that is spread through TV, social media, and other outlets, a band like Pearl Jam is preaching to the choir. Not saying their whole base is one way or another but saying most people have their minds made up and no amount of shows are going to change that. But I’m a huge pessimist and don’t live in a swing state so I just want a tour with shows I can drive to. 
    I think I'm in full agreement/understanding about what you are saying. I love PJ and rock music but it's no longer 1994 (or 2004) and that ship has probably sailed - for both the band and many (not all) fans.
    Just to take the other side for the sake of argument, there might be a small percentage of people who are influenced either to vote at all or to vote a certain way based on what they hear at a concert.  It’s probably not many people given what the OP has stated, but in places where the vote is really close, a few hundred people here and there could make a difference.  Ed’s passion about certain issues is impactful to an extent. And even if it doesn’t actually have an impact, the band may take the approach that it’s worth a shot, particularly if they are inclined to do a few shows anyway.

Promise a show to any state that went red last time that flips in a change election. Limit it it 6 states. They can easily work shows into OH PA FL MI WI. Have the states with the longest "PJ drought" be the tiebreaker.

Throw it at the wall and hope it works. Might as well offer something you have that is enormously coveted that will generate attention. One could contend that they'd probably play alot of these states anyway in their  PJ30 year but promising the possibility in advance will generate buzz.

But I agree due to over saturation of media and our tribal mentality the standard electioneering has much less impact currently 
    I think we need to come to terms with the fact that the overwhelming majority of people don't care whether or not Pearl Jam plays a show near them
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,775
    ah. ugh. oye. eh. 

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    pjl44 said:
    Noload said:

The issue is that they misunderstand the problem nowadays. It's not the 60s where people believed in their institutions and needed to take a skeptical look. For a variety of reasons, people are super aware but they're also super entrenched.

Getting the hyper politicized to calm down and figure out how to work together is the challenge now. Unfortunately, a lot of artists find themselves in that very bucket so they're more apt to make things worse. Screaming about a guy that 60-70% of the country disapproves of is not radical action. 

We are very hyper partisan now.  But the battle is for the unaffiliated 20% in the middle
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    pretty please hit up Atlantic Canada!
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    kst said:
    rummy said:
    Noload said:

I think we need to come to terms with the fact that the overwhelming majority of people don't care whether or not Pearl Jam plays a show near them

The 2 PJ shows at Wrigley 2018 exceeded the number of votes needed to defeat trump.

2 shows.

If you dont try you dont succeed. 

Will you agree to those terms?
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Noload said:

The issue is that they misunderstand the problem nowadays. It's not the 60s where people believed in their institutions and needed to take a skeptical look. For a variety of reasons, people are super aware but they're also super entrenched.

Getting the hyper politicized to calm down and figure out how to work together is the challenge now. Unfortunately, a lot of artists find themselves in that very bucket so they're more apt to make things worse. Screaming about a guy that 60-70% of the country disapproves of is not radical action. 

We are very hyper partisan now.  But the battle is for the unaffiliated 20% in the middle
    Who are completely put off by the shrieking partisans and are unlikely to be swayed by Vote For Change 2.0
  • Options
    We are literally talking about changing the hearts and minds of 1% of the population targeted in the way our constitution  instructs us to
  • Options
    We are literally talking about changing the hearts and minds of 1% of the population targeted in the way our constitution  instructs us to
    Yes, it is a free country and you're allowed to use ineffective methods. Hell, whatever gets Pearl Jam playing nearby is good by me. I consider VFC 2004 a success because we got 2 Boston shows. Bring on VFC 2020 with the same routing!
  • Options
    disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    Personally, I have a mind of my own with my own beliefs. Ed is not going to change my mind on anything. But if he thinks it might, then come to MN!
  • Options
    And to that end Pearl Jam might inspire a few more people to get registered and involved on election day. What they are unlikely to do is change any minds that are already made up.

• Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,992
    A concert isn't going to influence who I vote for personally but I guess it might could influence others.  Everyone has the right to vote for whoever they want. Just go and have fun!  That's what concerts are all about!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 927
    bummer, saw a bunch of replies, no rumors, just politics. I need to quit trusting these rumor threads, total let down every time
  • Options
    DEGBTI said:
    bummer, saw a bunch of replies, no rumors, just politics. I need to quit trusting these rumor threads, total let down every time
    When something real emerges the whole board will board will blow up. It won't just be a thread or two. 

• Options
    vercemanverceman Posts: 680
    Purpose of a vote for change your would not really be to change people's minds, which would be really pointless, it would be to "get out the vote", driving registration and early voting.  This is actually useful.  The most recent Senate vote in Montana was extremely close and Tester can legitimately point to Pearl Jam's show in Missoula as Tester won in part because turnout there was so strong and in his favor.

So Pearl Jam could go to swing States like PA and try to get out the vote in those states.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    verceman said:
     The most recent Senate vote in Montana was extremely close and Tester can legitimately point to Pearl Jam's show in Missoula as Tester won in part because turnout there was so strong and in his favor.

How do you know that?

Edit: He won by about the same margin as 2012 and a wider margin than 2006. Sooooooo yeah sure.
    Post edited by pjl44 on
  • Options
    verceman said:
    Purpose of a vote for change your would not really be to change people's minds, which would be really pointless, it would be to "get out the vote", driving registration and early voting.  This is actually useful.  The most recent Senate vote in Montana was extremely close and Tester can legitimately point to Pearl Jam's show in Missoula as Tester won in part because turnout there was so strong and in his favor.

So Pearl Jam could go to swing States like PA and try to get out the vote in those states.
    willing to bet that 50% of the crowd in Missoula was not even from Montana.  So the math there really doesn't work.  It was an excellent fundraiser for the sitting senator.  

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    And to that end Pearl Jam might inspire a few more people to get registered and involved on election day. What they are unlikely to do is change any minds that are already made up.
     Of course. But we are talking about 1 or 2% of the population.  IMO the US is @40/40/20%. Its all about the 10-20% unaffiliated in the middle

Making a pledge like that would get noticed by the media. Maybe other bands could do it also. 

Nearly 20 years ago they did rock the vote and Ed asked us to vote for Nader. 

It seems to me promising a handful of shows for a direct plea for change could have far greater impact than past efforts.

And it costs them nothing. We know exactly what the red  wine drinker thinks of our beloved leader.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
     Of course. But we are talking about 1 or 2% of the population.  IMO the US is @40/40/20%. Its all about the 10-20% unaffiliated in the middle

Making a pledge like that would get noticed by the media. Maybe other bands could do it also. 

It seems to me promising a handful of shows for a direct plea for change could have far greater impact than past efforts.

And it costs them nothing. We know exactly what the red  wine drinker thinks of our beloved leader.
    15 years of Gallup data would suggest otherwise.  Entrenched "I am X" political affiliations are probably significantly less than gallup shows, ie there are lots of people who say they are brand y but vote brand z and vice versa.   So to, people who claim to be independent but probably vote for a particular brand of politics with high frequency are a sizeable chunk.  Whether those cancel each other out or make certain segments slightly larger this data shows a fairly clear sentiment at about 30 to as high as 40% of people are not keen on parties.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/15370/party-affiliation.aspx

• Options
    PB11041 said:
    JimmyV said:

15 years of Gallup data would suggest otherwise.  Entrenched "I am X" political affiliations are probably significantly less than gallup shows, ie there are lots of people who say they are brand y but vote brand z and vice versa.   So to, people who claim to be independent but probably vote for a particular brand of politics with high frequency are a sizeable chunk.  Whether those cancel each other out or make certain segments slightly larger this data shows a fairly clear sentiment at about 30 to as high as 40% of people are not keen on parties.

The theory is that Rs are like PJ fans, they show up no matter what. Last 3 elections they're locked right in at the 47% range.

What Obama demonstrated is Democrats need to be inspired. There are more non voters imo that lean left but dont really care unless they were inspired.

Trump won 4 key states by 1%. Its almost as if he knew the precise # he needed in these states to win. But that's another story altogether. 

PJ did a few rock the vote campaigns and that's cool. IMO promising shows will get picked up by the media and accordingly has a chance to sway 1%. Its like rock the vote but interpreted to today's polarized era (when most only want to consider who daddy tells us to vote for). And PJ not doing it does nothing for "the resistance." We can agree to disagree. That's cool.

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,831
    pjl44 said:
    Noload said:

Perfectly said. 
  • Options
    PB11041 said:
    JimmyV said:

The theory is that Rs are like PJ fans, they show up no matter what. Last 3 elections they're locked right in at the 47% range.

What Obama demonstrated is Democrats need to be inspired. There are more non voters imo that lean left but dont really care unless they were inspired.

Trump won 4 key states by 1%. Its almost as if he knew the precise # he needed in these states to win. But that's another story altogether. 

PJ did a few rock the vote campaigns and that's cool. IMO promising shows will get picked up by the media and accordingly has a chance to sway 1%. Its like rock the vote but interpreted to today's polarized era (when most only want to consider who daddy tells us to vote for). And PJ not doing it does nothing for "the resistance." We can agree to disagree. That's cool.

all the data suggests otherwise, and in any even such a "promise" would almost certainly violate some element of Federal and State Elections laws.  

• Options
    In these crazy times we are living in. Isn’t it almost a safety hazard for Pearl Jam or any other anti-trump band to stage concerts anywhere? If they came to California I would still go, but that’s because I don’t live in fear. But the crazies love to cause mass casualties and a majority (not all) of Trump’s supporters are fucking crazy. The safety of all the fans has to weigh heavy on the band and it’s management. It’s a sad state of affairs that we live in a time where a great rock concert is such a fragile place. When I went to U2 a couple years ago in Santa Clara they had cops on platforms pointing machine guns at the crowd coming into the stadium. It was like a war zone. Crazy stuff.   
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Noload said:

Why are you guys calling it the reelection? The 2020 election is not a fait accompli. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Nice words. I had to google it. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    In these crazy times we are living in. Isn’t it almost a safety hazard for Pearl Jam or any other anti-trump band to stage concerts anywhere? If they came to California I would still go, but that’s because I don’t live in fear. But the crazies love to cause mass casualties and a majority (not all) of Trump’s supporters are fucking crazy. The safety of all the fans has to weigh heavy on the band and it’s management. It’s a sad state of affairs that we live in a time where a great rock concert is such a fragile place. When I went to U2 a couple years ago in Santa Clara they had cops on platforms pointing machine guns at the crowd coming into the stadium. It was like a war zone. Crazy stuff.   
    I got into it with some other guy who made this point, but you should dial back the news you watch. Concerts are perfectly safe and people are not actively trying to harm you. You can certainly stay home if it makes you feel safer, but I don't get the impulse to concoct this scenario.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,594
    Seriously. I go to 50+ shows a year and plenty (most) of those bands hate our President. I’ve never felt unsafe. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.