2020 United States & Canada Tour Rumors

Comments

• PeterEDPeterED Posts: 365
    Zod said:

I liked the Vertigo system the best.

I also like the springsteen method.
    Agreed - The Vertigo Tour GA was handled very well. It would be interesting to learn why they moved away from that method.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,672
    ZeldaZonk said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    They have not announced anything yet....
    Ok Boomer. 

;)
    That should be on a tour shirt this year....
    I’m lining up now.  

I am getting a tattoo on my hand of my GA line position.
    Are the list, the hand marks, and the people controlling this still a thing? Is it worth it to try and line up for GA if you’re not part of this strange system? Just curious if others have had negative experiences with lining up for GA early.

I heard it was a real problem last year at the Seattle stadium shows. Something about a van full of Aussies who have also been doing in at Wrigley. It was in one of the threads, so I think it's still a problem. 
    You should have heard them at Wrigley around the rain delay. They were clearing everyone out of the GA section and one of the alpha male types (a tall bald headed dude) was outwardly threatening to beat the fuck out of anyone who tried to take his spot when they allowed people back on the field. It felt very safe great to be around such scum. I get the annoyances, but we were all subject to the shitshow that was the 2nd Wrigley rain delay. But we all knew something like that was a risk the day of the show. That clown at the very least should have been removed from the stadium. 

Not sure if he was Aussie or not, but he was front & center and seemed to be with a decent sized group of people, sooo...

What a system, everyone should feel safe enjoying a show with fellow members.
    Every band seems to have the "front rail bullies" who feel entitled and travel in packs. And when the lead singer acknowledges them it empowers them. 
    True, they line up for days.... but until bands themselves care about the process it won't change. 
    Bruce does lottery and it's annoying but keeps the same people from being up front all the time. His org started it for that reason... he was tired of seeing same faces. 
    U2 has a terrible problem with the "front rail bullies". They travel the world going to shows, running lines, and hogging the rails. They go so far as to leave shows early in order to be first in line for the next show.
    Bruce was tired of seeing the same faces every night. It got so bad that they were/are referred to as "pit pigs".
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,194
    I've done U2 GA three times. Once on 360 where it was just a blob of people. First come got into the ring. Other two were innocence/experience and I aimed for the walkway so I didn't care. Did GA for Muse a few months ago and it was just by number, but it was very poorly advertised (no email, no signs.) I somehow found it on my way to work and ended up with #11. 

My main qualm is that I hate wasting a day in a new city standing in line. I love the Springsteen method because it affords everybody the same opportunity. Stop by, grab a number, come back at 6:30.

My guess would be that PJ doesn't really feel the need to dedicate staff to corralling fans. Bands with actual GA systems seem to have at least one person or two dedicated to directing venue staff specific to the GA section. 
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • pearl jam
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,642
    I think we can abandon the GA line topic now...we've established that there are bullies and the process doesn't promote fairness.

• CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
    I’ve been as close as 3 people deep. I just want one chance at rail. Although I might disappoint some of you. I am generally not an outwardly emotional person. I do sing along and jump a bit at the shows, but I mostly internalize. Doesn’t mean I’m not having the time of my life. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,680
    ZeldaZonk said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    They have not announced anything yet....
    Ok Boomer. 

;)
    That should be on a tour shirt this year....
    I’m lining up now.  

I am getting a tattoo on my hand of my GA line position.
    Are the list, the hand marks, and the people controlling this still a thing? Is it worth it to try and line up for GA if you’re not part of this strange system? Just curious if others have had negative experiences with lining up for GA early.

I heard it was a real problem last year at the Seattle stadium shows. Something about a van full of Aussies who have also been doing in at Wrigley. It was in one of the threads, so I think it's still a problem. 
    You should have heard them at Wrigley around the rain delay. They were clearing everyone out of the GA section and one of the alpha male types (a tall bald headed dude) was outwardly threatening to beat the fuck out of anyone who tried to take his spot when they allowed people back on the field. It felt very safe great to be around such scum. I get the annoyances, but we were all subject to the shitshow that was the 2nd Wrigley rain delay. But we all knew something like that was a risk the day of the show. That clown at the very least should have been removed from the stadium. 

Not sure if he was Aussie or not, but he was front & center and seemed to be with a decent sized group of people, sooo...

What a system, everyone should feel safe enjoying a show with fellow members.
    Every band seems to have the "front rail bullies" who feel entitled and travel in packs. And when the lead singer acknowledges them it empowers them. 
    True, they line up for days.... but until bands themselves care about the process it won't change. 
    Bruce does lottery and it's annoying but keeps the same people from being up front all the time. His org started it for that reason... he was tired of seeing same faces. 
    U2 has a terrible problem with the "front rail bullies". They travel the world going to shows, running lines, and hogging the rails. They go so far as to leave shows early in order to be first in line for the next show.
    Bruce was tired of seeing the same faces every night. It got so bad that they were/are referred to as "pit pigs".

Yeah the U2 folks are ridiculous. Setting up check in points that you only know about from a private "fan" Facebook page.

For JT30 in Foxboro they had their list check in at a Dunkin Donuts over a mile away from the stadium.

Best thin U2 did to combat it (unintentionally) was the stage set up they used for I/E and E/I, plenty of rail spots with that stage neutralizing the need to line up.

This weekend we rock Portland
    Best thin U2 did to combat it (unintentionally) was the stage set up they used for I/E and E/I, plenty of rail spots with that stage neutralizing the need to line up.

Yes...the arena shows made those who spent so long in queue just to get a specific corner close to front of stage look like fools (And I know many of them who did). 

• link93link93 Posts: 410
    I love how the same topics come up every tour. Done a ton of GA shows Springsteen does it best by a mile. Pretty much everything else allows people to be who they really are. If they are a jerk in life they will be a jerk in the GA line. 
    edited January 2020
    link93 said:
    I love how the same topics come up every tour. Done a ton of GA shows Springsteen does it best by a mile. Pretty much everything else allows people to be who they really are. If they are a jerk in life they will be a jerk in the GA line. 
    Then I've probably seen you at Bruce shows...I've done a ton...did you go to Australia tours? There was no lottery there and the Aussies were shocked at the idea of a lottery....did sign-up list, check ins...but yes...same groups up front (and sometimes I was one of them)
    Post edited by gotthebottle on
  • bbiggs said:
    D-Rod said:
    brenny55 said:
    Sorry for not back reading regarding the announcement date but is it more likely to be:

1/6 (tomorrow) or 1/13??

Thanks!
    Someone posted a rumour many pages ago the general public sale would be the week of the 13th.  That would mean the announcement and opening of the lottery would be tomorrow or Tuesday.   At least that’s what I’m hoping 
    I could be wrong, but didn’t that previous post state that the announcement would be Jan. 13? 
    That's what I recall seeing
    From the official source alternative nation (who sourced their info from here):

“Public on sale date for spring will be 1/13. This would suggest an announcement in early Jan for 10c presale if I’m guessing right.”

considering PJs official social media’s posted pics of PJ at MSG and Fenway yesterday, it seems the announcement and lottery are this forthcoming week and public sale Jan 13

book it! 
    I could see the announcement coming 1/13, but there’s no chance that the public ticket sale will be on a Monday. 
  • buck502000buck502000 Posts: 8,951
    link93 said:
    Whoa...concerts aren’t real life???
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    I absolutely love U2 but fail to see why you need to see them multiple times a tour.  I mean they literally play the same set and say the same lines every night. Too scripted for me.  Just my two cents. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • wbutler29wbutler29 Posts: 944
    Hoping for announcement/drawing starting this Tuesday. Public sale the following week.
  • ballardmamaballardmama Posts: 42
    edited January 2020
    I just saw U2 in Tokyo and Seoul in December and the GA and Red Zone tickets were numbered when I purchased them. The ticket sites stated people would be let in to the venue according to the ticket number. I wondered if people would try to set up the fan run GA line anyhow and try to bypass the numbered ticket thing. Both venues followed the numbered tickets which was great. Fan club members got first chance to purchase tickets so we had great low numbers. It was great to feel no pressure to line up early and get to enjoy the town until the designated line up time. I’ve been to numerous U2 concerts over the years and I like this system so much better then the usual fan run line. 
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    totally agree mcgruff 10
    ANYWAY....back to tour rumors...
    link93 said:
    Then I've probably seen you at Bruce shows...I've done a ton...did you go to Australia tours? There was no lottery there and the Aussies were shocked at the idea of a lottery....did sign-up list, check ins...but yes...same groups up front (and sometimes I was one of them)
    No just here in the states. And I saw his Broadway show. One of my favorite performers does a different set list every night and at his age doing 3 plus hour shows is great. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited January 2020
    Magnetic Hill maybe? U2 played there... and Bruce
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
    @dimitrispearljam help get us back on track!!
    😀
    I’m hoping for announcement tomorrow or Tuesday but I noticed Vedpunk said see you on the 13th. So maybe not till next Monday. 
  • awilkinsawilkins Posts: 984
    PJNB said:
    Magnetic Hill maybe? U2 played there... and Bruce
    Haha, I wish!
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,536
    mcgruff10 said:
    I absolutely love U2 but fail to see why you need to see them multiple times a tour.  I mean they literally play the same set and say the same lines every night. Too scripted for me.  Just my two cents. 
    Same as Foo Fighters...same songs (maybe 1-2 shuffled) and the same fucking jokes...really scripted which surprised me
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • pearl jam

107 Shows and counting
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,394
    Really hoping for tour announcement this week!! Haven’t been this hyped in years (thanks Dimi ;))
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,835
    bbiggs said:
    D-Rod said:
    brenny55 said:
    Sorry for not back reading regarding the announcement date but is it more likely to be:

1/6 (tomorrow) or 1/13??

Thanks!
    Someone posted a rumour many pages ago the general public sale would be the week of the 13th.  That would mean the announcement and opening of the lottery would be tomorrow or Tuesday.   At least that’s what I’m hoping 
    I could be wrong, but didn’t that previous post state that the announcement would be Jan. 13? 
    You could be correct,  just remember someone saying the public sale was the 13th.  Which I thought was odd cuz it’s a Monday. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    My wife and I had tickets to the Jay Leno Tonight Show many years ago.  We arrived around 2pm to a ridiculous, very strict fan-run line for that night’s musical guest lol.  We didn't even like the musical act so we didn't give a shit.  We were fine being in the back.  The head line-nazi proceeded to give instructions to the rest of the line and they obeyed like good soldiers.  They had been there since 7am.  

Here’s the funny thing.  When it got time to actually enter the studio the Tonight Show crew put the first ten people in the very back row.  They picked us for the front row because we were a young couple :lol:
    I saw three or four people kicked out for yelling about their seats or trying to switch seats.  
  • Where are the LA shows likely to be played?  I'm not familiar with the arenas there.
  • jimfishjimfish Posts: 51
    I'll go back to the GA problems - and know that PJ also reads these forums to keep the pulse of what we're thinking.   IN THE ROUND show removes all of the rail bully issues and would give us all a totally new PJ experience.  Metallica has been doing it for years successfully and it is an amazing experience.   Would love to hear more voices call for a new stage set rather than some new process for managing chaos.     
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,902
    edited January 2020
    We spotted that tall Australian fella in the GA line outside Wrigley. We were there early enough that he and his crew were still friendly and approachable (we had heard the stories prior) but we took off to explore. Noticed they’d gone and leave someone behind to hold their spot which we thought was against the rules but the people directly behind didn’t seem to care. This fella was all about being front and center on the rail for recognition and/or acknowledgment from Ed (believe he got a shoutout) which is fine if that’s what he wants to get out of the experience. Just don’t be rude to your fellow fans about it. As for U2 knew it was an issue 20 or so years ago when the line monitors wore homemade badge-type lanyards identifying themselves as line police...and still proceeded to let their fellow people sneak right up closer to show time. If that’s your objective in life go nuts.

Bring on the announcement - the wife has given her blessings.
    Post edited by 100 Pacer on
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore