2020 United States & Canada Tour Rumors

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    ZeldaZonk said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    They have not announced anything yet....
    Ok Boomer. 

;)
    That should be on a tour shirt this year....
    I’m lining up now.  

I am getting a tattoo on my hand of my GA line position.
    Are the list, the hand marks, and the people controlling this still a thing? Is it worth it to try and line up for GA if you’re not part of this strange system? Just curious if others have had negative experiences with lining up for GA early.

I heard it was a real problem last year at the Seattle stadium shows. Something about a van full of Aussies who have also been doing in at Wrigley. It was in one of the threads, so I think it's still a problem. 
    You should have heard them at Wrigley around the rain delay. They were clearing everyone out of the GA section and one of the alpha male types (a tall bald headed dude) was outwardly threatening to beat the fuck out of anyone who tried to take his spot when they allowed people back on the field. It felt very safe great to be around such scum. I get the annoyances, but we were all subject to the shitshow that was the 2nd Wrigley rain delay. But we all knew something like that was a risk the day of the show. That clown at the very least should have been removed from the stadium. 

Not sure if he was Aussie or not, but he was front & center and seemed to be with a decent sized group of people, sooo...

What a system, everyone should feel safe enjoying a show with fellow members.
    Ga brings out some real winners.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128

CW55354 said:
    stanudes said:
    Crazy idea that would piss off a lot of tenured members, but would raise a ton of money for charity. 
    Imagine if PJ auctioned off some low, expired (no longer active) 10C membership numbers. 
    Think of how much money they could raise for their foundations. 
    How much would someone pay to never have to worry about the lottery again for great reserved seating?
    Wouldn’t ever happen, but just a thought I’ve had in my head for some time. 

There's a few things going on here:
    I guess I'd be tenured. My 279XXX is from Jan 2003 and I wouldn't be happy.

There really are "two" numbers. There's the one you see and a sort of "actual" one...what they need to do is "defrag" the system and everyone gets to move up into the gaps.

The second bold bit implies that lower numbers have an effect on lotto odds. They don't.
    I hope they never change the tenure rule. It’s why I keep paying my dues every year despite knowing they are touring less and less. If tenure means nothing, I’d just let it lapse and re-up when we get the hint to make sure memberships are up to date and so would a bunch of other people, costing the Ten Club money. It would be very risky for Pearl Jam to offer some kind of guarantee to people paying more, not only because it would piss off literally thousands of long time members, who at this point have paid hundreds of dollars in dues over the coarse of decades, but also because, let’s face it, there’s no guarantee Pearl Jam tours with any regularity to make it worth the expense. Think of how pissed off people are about the fan club single delays and imagine if they don’t tour regularly. 

I agree with you but the right thing to do would be to solve the no notice obstructed view issue, especially if there is no GA draw like Fenway. At time of purchase inform the buyer if the seats are obstructed. MLB.com had obstructed view notices on the original public on sale for specific Fenway tickets, TC did not. So we might see some new fine print on the rules next time.

An option to solve would be to allocate a small pool- 500 decent full view  seats (not the best) into its own random draw and reciprocate the same number GA tickets in a draw weighted in favor of the tenured numbers. No tenured fans get hurt by that, it actually would help. And it gives newer members an option to actually “see” the band or their screens. 

The way the system is now for shows like Fenway has zero options for higher numbers and punishes fans that buy on “faith.”

let the bashing commence.

Where were your seats at Fenway?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,642
    ZeldaZonk said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    Ok Boomer. 

;)
    I’m lining up now.  

Are the list, the hand marks, and the people controlling this still a thing? Is it worth it to try and line up for GA if you’re not part of this strange system? Just curious if others have had negative experiences with lining up for GA early.

I heard it was a real problem last year at the Seattle stadium shows. Something about a van full of Aussies who have also been doing in at Wrigley. It was in one of the threads, so I think it's still a problem. 
    You should have heard them at Wrigley around the rain delay. They were clearing everyone out of the GA section and one of the alpha male types (a tall bald headed dude) was outwardly threatening to beat the fuck out of anyone who tried to take his spot when they allowed people back on the field. It felt very safe great to be around such scum. I get the annoyances, but we were all subject to the shitshow that was the 2nd Wrigley rain delay. But we all knew something like that was a risk the day of the show. That clown at the very least should have been removed from the stadium. 

Not sure if he was Aussie or not, but he was front & center and seemed to be with a decent sized group of people, sooo...

Every band seems to have the "front rail bullies" who feel entitled and travel in packs. And when the lead singer acknowledges them it empowers them. 
    True, they line up for days.... but until bands themselves care about the process it won't change. 
    Bruce does lottery and it's annoying but keeps the same people from being up front all the time. His org started it for that reason... he was tired of seeing same faces. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,398
    ZeldaZonk said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    Ok Boomer. 

;)
    I’m lining up now.  

Every band seems to have the "front rail bullies" who feel entitled and travel in packs. And when the lead singer acknowledges them it empowers them. 
    True, they line up for days.... but until bands themselves care about the process it won't change. 
    Bruce does lottery and it's annoying but keeps the same people from being up front all the time. His org started it for that reason... he was tired of seeing same faces. 
    well stated.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    ZeldaZonk said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    Ok Boomer. 

;)
    I’m lining up now.  

I always find it puzzling  that you get people who queue up for 2 or 3 days then they just stand there at the rail completely emotionless, I don't think even singing. 
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,194
    ZeldaZonk said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    Ok Boomer. 

;)
    I’m lining up now.  

I love the Bruce lottery. It eliminates the need or desire to line up at all and gives everybody an equal opportunity. I wish all GA was done that way. 
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,416
    edited January 2020
    ZeldaZonk said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    Ok Boomer. 

;)
    I’m lining up now.  

I love the Bruce lottery. It eliminates the need or desire to line up at all and gives everybody an equal opportunity. I wish all GA was done that way. 

Agreed
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,838
    For sure wish Pearl Jam would do something like that with GA (similar to Springsteen and I believe U2).   Sometimes I think they are lazy in certain areas.
  • CW55354CW55354 Posts: 200
    I have no problem with groups of people that get there before be being on the rail. But if you are saying that I get there before them and they bully me out of my spot in line on the rail, that’s a problem. The whole number on the hand fiasco seems to have been fixed, at least for the US shows I’ve been to. I usually make friends pretty quick with the people around me and we have always stood up for each other when the people in the back try to weave their way up front. I do love how shocked and indignant they are when you explain to them that after waiting in line 12+ hours, you aren’t going to let them push in front of you. 
  • brenny55brenny55 Posts: 46
    edited January 2020
    Sorry for not back reading regarding the announcement date but is it more likely to be:

1/6 (tomorrow) or 1/13??

Thanks!
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,196
    ZeldaZonk said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    Ok Boomer. 

;)
    I’m lining up now.  

100%. They're obviously annoyed by the list lizards - would love to see them implement this policy. Shit, JC Penney was doing this in the late 90s for ticket onsales to keep people from lining up. Pretty simple and very fan friendly. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,538
    edited January 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    Ok Boomer. 

;)
    I’m lining up now.  

well stated.

It seems to me the band here set up their policy back in the day, and they will only do minor tweaks. I agree the point of the club is to maximize membership count, so tenured members need to be properly rewarded. 

But the few issues being touched on this morning are issues I have never faced going to shows with my other favorite bands. True they don’t have the enormous following of a PJ or Bruce, but the competition for up front tickets to a band like a Rush was always fierce. They usually sold out, but you could always grab a ticket to a show that wasn’t crazy expensive. Or pay a steep price to sit close.

In my scores of Rush shows, I never had to face a threat from a front rail bully, or nowadays with the kids trying to pile drive to the front after the show starts. If someone were to pile drive me while a show was in progress, I might get myself killed from my retaliatory  anger :-)

They always allowed me to play the market and make an informed decision based on cost and availability. If 10th row was too much money, I’d buy something further away and cheaper.

whats concerning is GA is the only option for newer members under the rules here who would like to actually see the band live and it contains several problems that many bands don’t present at their shows. If the GA is relatively small, at least there is the possibility of the rear portion of the pit, if it isn’t overstuffed 
    For sure wish Pearl Jam would do something like that with GA (similar to Springsteen and I believe U2).   Sometimes I think they are lazy in certain areas.
    U2 had you come, get a number, then come back for check ins....the venue was part of the process and they gave out numbered wrist bands couple hours before...so everyone had a number FROM THE VENUE. So unless the band/tour want to do something like that with venues it won't change.
    The Bruce-lottery has a few glitches but it basically works if venue is on board. I've had front rail (birthday show at Metlife) and stood in back of pit...it's all good just to be there...
    Of course it makes good sense to watch out for each other around you ...

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    Brisk. said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    Ok Boomer. 

;)
    I’m lining up now.  

I always find it puzzling  that you get people who queue up for 2 or 3 days then they just stand there at the rail completely emotionless, I don't think even singing. 
    They’re worshipping their God. No singing allowed. 
    Brisk. said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    Ok Boomer. 

;)
    I’m lining up now.  

People enjoy the show in different ways 
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,835
    brenny55 said:
    Sorry for not back reading regarding the announcement date but is it more likely to be:

1/6 (tomorrow) or 1/13??

Thanks!
    Someone posted a rumour many pages ago the general public sale would be the week of the 13th.  That would mean the announcement and opening of the lottery would be tomorrow or Tuesday.   At least that’s what I’m hoping 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    JimmyV said:

CW55354 said:
    stanudes said:
    Crazy idea that would piss off a lot of tenured members, but would raise a ton of money for charity. 
    Imagine if PJ auctioned off some low, expired (no longer active) 10C membership numbers. 
    How much would someone pay to never have to worry about the lottery again for great reserved seating?

There really are "two" numbers. There's the one you see and a sort of "actual" one...what they need to do is "defrag" the system and everyone gets to move up into the gaps.

The second bold bit implies that lower numbers have an effect on lotto odds. They don't.
    I hope they never change the tenure rule. It’s why I keep paying my dues every year despite knowing they are touring less and less. If tenure means nothing, I’d just let it lapse and re-up when we get the hint to make sure memberships are up to date and so would a bunch of other people, costing the Ten Club money. It would be very risky for Pearl Jam to offer some kind of guarantee to people paying more, not only because it would piss off literally thousands of long time members, who at this point have paid hundreds of dollars in dues over the coarse of decades, but also because, let’s face it, there’s no guarantee Pearl Jam tours with any regularity to make it worth the expense. Think of how pissed off people are about the fan club single delays and imagine if they don’t tour regularly. 

I agree with you but the right thing to do would be to solve the no notice obstructed view issue, especially if there is no GA draw like Fenway. At time of purchase inform the buyer if the seats are obstructed. MLB.com had obstructed view notices on the original public on sale for specific Fenway tickets, TC did not. So we might see some new fine print on the rules next time.

An option to solve would be to allocate a small pool- 500 decent full view  seats (not the best) into its own random draw and reciprocate the same number GA tickets in a draw weighted in favor of the tenured numbers. No tenured fans get hurt by that, it actually would help. And it gives newer members an option to actually “see” the band or their screens. 

The way the system is now for shows like Fenway has zero options for higher numbers and punishes fans that buy on “faith.”

Grandstand behind third base dug out and a large support pole. Fans here were very helpful. They suggested I walk to Pensky pole and plead my case to TC. They did not have five seconds for me there. PJ still sounded great, but I drank way too much to cheer myself up about the view.
  • dr122931 said:
    I was told by someone who is in the know of Houston activities that PJ is here in the fall after seeing my gf wear a PJ shirt at a get together we had last night. I recently moved to Houston and had hopes they would play here in the fall. After chatting it up with him, I got a lot more confidence with it. 

Hoping for a Baltimore and OKC or PHX trip this fall! 
    Wow.   I live here and I’ve heard a number of rumors in the past 10 or so years that haven’t come to fruition.  Yes, the radius clause does hurt us as someone mentioned.  But, bands who play jazz, voodoo, and acl have had headlining shows at Toyota and woodlands many times.  Though I know radius clauses can be negotiated differently and more strict buyouts for headliners. 

Out of curiosity, is your person just speculating or is there solid info? What venue?   Toyota I’d assume?
    Take this for what it’s worth but it’s pretty solid info. I asked him what venue and he said the only thing he knew was that you could count on them playing Houston in the fall. Like I said, take it for what it’s worth and the guy knows his people in Houston and wouldn’t make it up out of thin air 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    edited January 2020

JimmyV said:

CW55354 said:
    stanudes said:

Grandstand behind third base dug out and a large support pole. Fans here were very helpful. They suggested I walk to Pensky pole and plead my case to TC. They did not have five seconds for me there. PJ still sounded great, but I drank way too much to cheer myself up about the view.
    Yeah that is rough. I love Fenway but there are definitely some poor sightlines, particularly when we want to look into center field and not towards home plate.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    edited January 2020
    pjl44 said:
    Brisk. said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    Ok Boomer. 

;)
    I’m lining up now.  

Obviously but if you have the mentality to stick it out in the cold on pavement for a few days to see your idols you'd think that kind of type of character would show some kind of expression during the shows. I guess not.
  • PeterEDPeterED Posts: 365
    U2 had you come, get a number, then come back for check ins....the venue was part of the process and they gave out numbered wrist bands couple hours before...so everyone had a number FROM THE VENUE. So unless the band/tour want to do something like that with venues it won't change.
    The Bruce-lottery has a few glitches but it basically works if venue is on board. I've had front rail (birthday show at Metlife) and stood in back of pit...it's all good just to be there...

That is a very rose-coloured take on how it happens with U2.

The lines are almost always fan-run with the same people and often in conflict with the  local venue. Most often it's the same people who somehow manage to dedicate significant financial resources and time to following the band from city to city. The I&E and E&I tours (due to the staging) pretty much made this lining up for days business a moot point, yet there will always be people who wear lining up for a days as a badge of honour. It's a source of some pretty intense debate within the U2 fan community. 

Bruce's people deserve a lot of credit for putting a stop to this.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    D-Rod said:
    brenny55 said:

1/6 (tomorrow) or 1/13??

Thanks!
    Someone posted a rumour many pages ago the general public sale would be the week of the 13th.  That would mean the announcement and opening of the lottery would be tomorrow or Tuesday.   At least that’s what I’m hoping 
    I could be wrong, but didn’t that previous post state that the announcement would be Jan. 13? 
  • bbiggs said:
    D-Rod said:
    brenny55 said:

1/6 (tomorrow) or 1/13??

Thanks!
    I could be wrong, but didn’t that previous post state that the announcement would be Jan. 13? 
    That's what I recall seeing
    PeterED said:

The lines are almost always fan-run with the same people and often in conflict with the  local venue. Most often it's the same people who somehow manage to dedicate significant financial resources and time to following the band from city to city. The I&E and E&I tours (due to the staging) pretty much made this lining up for days business a moot point, yet there will always be people who wear lining up for a days as a badge of honour. It's a source of some pretty intense debate within the U2 fan community. 

I'm aware of that..I've seen U2 around the world for many years....I have friends in the "get up front group" and the rest....but the JT tour in OZ and the I/E E/I tours were MOSTLY done the wristband numbered way with help from the venues. It's true that in order to get low numbers they sleep out on sidewalk, etc. And show up 5 days ahead to start a line....so in that way if they "rail mafia" do the work they get the spot. But at least the venue respects the numbers.
  • ZeldaZonk said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    Ok Boomer. 

;)
    I’m lining up now.  

I saw that dude, it was unbelievable how hard he was trying to be intimidating lol.  Aside from that, It was very off putting listening to all the arguing BEFORE the delay...so we just hung back.  It was kind of a bummer with it being my first non festival GA and my wife’s first GA at all.  Not worth having yourself kicked out for someone trying to fight you.  Sad reality is that even assholes listen to Pearl Jam, and their numbers seem to be growing in recent years.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
    Brisk. said:
    pjl44 said:
    Brisk. said:
    ZeldaZonk said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    Ok Boomer. 

;)
    I’m lining up now.  

Obviously but if you have the mentality to stick it out in the cold on pavement for a few days to see your idols you'd think that kind of type of character would show some kind of expression during the shows. I guess not.
    Maybe conduct interviews next tour? Really get to the bottom of it. 
  • CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,937
    Is Minnesota still a possibility or completely out? Thanks.
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,527
    PeterED said:

My experience with U2 has been all over the place.  in 2000 (all that you can't leave behind tour?) it was fan run, but the venue underestimated how many people would line up.  The line ended up doubling up on itself (ie switched back so the end of the line was only row over from the front).  Even though we should of gotten into the closer section, it became a free for all once doors opened :(

Vertigo tour was great.  It was random winners that got to go in the closer section.   My ticket scanned as a winner, and both me and my guest got wristbands.

U2360 (this one in Edmonton instead of Vancouver) was odd.  It was first come first serve, but there was no one trying to take charge.   A nice orderly lineup.  We got there around 3 or 4 and still got into the front pit section.

Experience Tour.   No front section to lineup for, so we strolled in around doors.

Joshua Tree Tour (the recent version):  We skipped, so I'm not sure.  I heard the venue struggled with ticketless entry but I don't know how GA worked.

I liked the Vertigo system the best.

I also like the springsteen method.
    edited January 2020
    bbiggs said:
    D-Rod said:
    brenny55 said:

1/6 (tomorrow) or 1/13??

Thanks!
    That's what I recall seeing
    From the official source alternative nation (who sourced their info from here):

“Public on sale date for spring will be 1/13. This would suggest an announcement in early Jan for 10c presale if I’m guessing right.”

considering PJs official social media’s posted pics of PJ at MSG and Fenway yesterday, it seems the announcement and lottery are this forthcoming week and public sale Jan 13

book it! 
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 3,013
    dr122931 said:
    I was told by someone who is in the know of Houston activities that PJ is here in the fall after seeing my gf wear a PJ shirt at a get together we had last night. I recently moved to Houston and had hopes they would play here in the fall. After chatting it up with him, I got a lot more confidence with it. 

Hoping for a Baltimore and OKC or PHX trip this fall! 
    Wow.   I live here and I’ve heard a number of rumors in the past 10 or so years that haven’t come to fruition.  Yes, the radius clause does hurt us as someone mentioned.  But, bands who play jazz, voodoo, and acl have had headlining shows at Toyota and woodlands many times.  Though I know radius clauses can be negotiated differently and more strict buyouts for headliners. 

Out of curiosity, is your person just speculating or is there solid info? What venue?   Toyota I’d assume?
    Take this for what it’s worth but it’s pretty solid info. I asked him what venue and he said the only thing he knew was that you could count on them playing Houston in the fall. Like I said, take it for what it’s worth and the guy knows his people in Houston and wouldn’t make it up out of thin air 
    Remember, in 2015 The Toyota Center (?) emailed all season ticket holders & VIPs that Pearl Jam will be one of the big acts playing there in 2016.  Wishful thinking is bigger in Texas, too, it seems.