Options

Gender neutral student demands

Comments

• Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don’t. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    While I feel sorry for anyone who doesn’t fit in at their school for ANY reason, the bullshit of being able to choose everyday a different name to be called is a joke. That sounds more like an attention problem. The fact nobody in that school has the balls to call bullshit shows how pathetic everything has gotten. Be gay, straight, Bi, trans or whatever you want. Just respect yourself and those around you by not making it all about you. Ridiculous 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    While I feel sorry for anyone who doesn’t fit in at their school for ANY reason, the bullshit of being able to choose everyday a different name to be called is a joke. That sounds more like an attention problem. The fact nobody in that school has the balls to call bullshit shows how pathetic everything has gotten. Be gay, straight, Bi, trans or whatever you want. Just respect yourself and those around you by not making it all about you. Ridiculous 
    Yep,  agree on these points. I empathize with the administration,  considering the Twitter mob and the propensity for convenient edits on stories and videos.  It's a sad state of affairs all around. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    brianlux said:
    I have to assume this person is an intersex person (previously referred to as a "hermaphrodite").  As with being gay, that's not a choice.  But what do you call a person who is both?  "It" seems degrading.  So what then?

What I don't get is the kid refusing to answer to a name.  Why not?  Is Mary too female, Bart too male?  Give yourself a nickname and be Marty.  Or what ever.   Why would the kid make things matter by not using some kind of name? And why a different noun everyday? 

If I were that teacher, I would would tell the kid, "Pick one word, that's all you get.  I'm not going to call you or anybody else by a different name or word everyday.  Either be reasonable or get out of my class."

The typical non-specific pronoun these days is "they", Brian. It takes a bit of getting used to for those of us who prefer to keep our singular and plural pronouns separate, but less bothersome than most of the alternatives, and at least is not degrading, as you point out. 
    Typical yes, but grammatically incorrect.  They is plural.  Rather than compromise the grammar, perhaps a new word, or a slightly new definition to one that exists would be appropriate.  Other wise, you create confusion. 

"They decided to have a new name everyday."

"Oh my God, no.  The whole class?"
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rgambs said:
    "It" sounds like a Facebook meme that your crazy aunt Linda shares while she laments about God being kicked out of schools.

Sounds like there are quite a few pearl-clutching old grannies in here, and maybe one or two who'd like to go back to the good ol' days when gay, trans and otherwise gender-fluid kids were bullied mercilessly and killed themselves in high numbers, but by god they got called by their legal names.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to have an empathetic and experienced person sit down with this kid and say "You have to chose a name that we can call you each day." I think it's unreasonable to demand that the kid be called their legal given name.
    "pearl-clutching old grannies"  LOL, well, OK, that made me laugh.  :smile:

No frikken way do I want to go back to the old days when gays were bullied, beaten, even jail.  I don't think anyone here wants that. 

Change his/her name?  Sure, no problem!  Daniel Shellabarger, one of my favorite gay people did.  He now goes by Daniel Suelo. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    "It" sounds like a Facebook meme that your crazy aunt Linda shares while she laments about God being kicked out of schools.

Sounds like there are quite a few pearl-clutching old grannies in here, and maybe one or two who'd like to go back to the good ol' days when gay, trans and otherwise gender-fluid kids were bullied mercilessly and killed themselves in high numbers, but by god they got called by their legal names.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to have an empathetic and experienced person sit down with this kid and say "You have to chose a name that we can call you each day." I think it's unreasonable to demand that the kid be called their legal given name.
    "pearl-clutching old grannies"  LOL, well, OK, that made me laugh.  :smile:

No frikken way do I want to go back to the old days when gays were bullied, beaten, even jail.  I don't think anyone here wants that. 

Change his/her name?  Sure, no problem!  Daniel Shellabarger, one of my favorite gay people did.  He now goes by Daniel Suelo. 

Ha!
  • Options
    :smiley:

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    rgambs said:
    I don't doubt the veracity of the poster, but I highly doubt the veracity of the story as relayed.
    2nd hand anecdotal stories don't merit much discussion imo
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,702
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I have to assume this person is an intersex person (previously referred to as a "hermaphrodite").  As with being gay, that's not a choice.  But what do you call a person who is both?  "It" seems degrading.  So what then?

What I don't get is the kid refusing to answer to a name.  Why not?  Is Mary too female, Bart too male?  Give yourself a nickname and be Marty.  Or what ever.   Why would the kid make things matter by not using some kind of name? And why a different noun everyday? 

If I were that teacher, I would would tell the kid, "Pick one word, that's all you get.  I'm not going to call you or anybody else by a different name or word everyday.  Either be reasonable or get out of my class."

The typical non-specific pronoun these days is "they", Brian. It takes a bit of getting used to for those of us who prefer to keep our singular and plural pronouns separate, but less bothersome than most of the alternatives, and at least is not degrading, as you point out. 
    Typical yes, but grammatically incorrect.  They is plural.  Rather than compromise the grammar, perhaps a new word, or a slightly new definition to one that exists would be appropriate.  Other wise, you create confusion. 

yet
     , they seems standard within that community...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

yet
     , they seems standard within that community...
    Funny you should mention that because I got to talking to my wife earlier about the daughter (or at least born a daughter) of a friend who is trans prefers "they" as well.  So I think you're probably right.  If that's the way it is, so be it.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    If "it" refuses to give the school a name they preferred to be called ... the school should assign one..."peckerhead" is a nice start.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,946
    edited August 2019
    brianlux said:

Rather than compromise the grammar, perhaps a new word, or a slightly new definition to one that exists would be appropriate.  
    Hen (Swedish: [hɛnː] (About this soundlisten)) is a gender-neutral personal pronoun in Swedish intended as an alternative to the gender-specific hon ("she") and han ("he"). It can be used when the gender of a person is not known or when it is not desirable to specify them as either a "she" or "he". The word was first proposed in 1966, and again in 1994, with reference to the Finnish hän, a personal pronoun that is gender-neutral, since Finnish does not have grammatical genders. However, it did not receive widespread recognition until around 2010, when it began to be used in some books, magazines and newspapers, and provoked media debates and controversy over feminismgender neutrality, and parenting. In July 2014 it was announced that hen would be included in Svenska Akademiens ordlista, the official glossary of the Swedish Academy.

Sweden is ahead of you (once again) peeps.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    ^Haha!!!  Team Sweden for the Win! 🇸🇪 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Ha! I know.  Swedish nationalism and ethnocentrism comes to the forefront yet again. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Ha! I know.  Swedish nationalism and ethnocentrism comes to the forefront yet again. 
    Sweden doing things better than the US says nothing about nationalism and has nothing to do about puffing up Sweden. 

It's just shows how awful the US is. #bananarepublic
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Sweden doing things better than the US says nothing about nationalism and has nothing to do about puffing up Sweden. 

Yep, your comments are the very definition of those two nouns  
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:

Nope. 

But I get your tries to grasp after straws.

Sweden has what @brianlux proposed. Nothing more than that. 

Pumpkin puss.

• Options
    I know I am going to regret asking...but what the fuck is a pumpkin puss...jeesh...another thread soon to be closed.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:

Nope. 

Pumpkin puss.

I’m not going to do this dance again, but you are a master at twisting your words after the fact.  Now you say, “Sweden has what Brian proposed and nothing more than that.”  If it’s “nothing more than that,” you could have left your post alone after the copy/pasted part.  But nope. You felt inclined to show how the US once again is inferior. It’s cool man. You like ruffling feathers but I don’t think many are getting ruffled anymore. It’s all far too commonplace at this point it almost goes unnoticed. 

Thread integrity...my friends daughter is a first year teacher, which I failed to mention. What a way to start your career with this type of nonsense.  Poor girl. 
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:

Nope. 

Pumpkin puss.

I’m not going to do this dance again, but you are a master at twisting your words after the fact.  Now you say, “Sweden has what Brian proposed and nothing more than that.”  If it’s “nothing more than that,” you could have left your post alone after the copy/pasted part.  But nope. You felt inclined to show how the US once again is inferior. It’s cool man. You like ruffling feathers but I don’t think many are getting ruffled anymore. It’s all far too commonplace at this point it almost goes unnoticed. 
    It was a tounge-in-cheek line because of the discussions that has been on this board lately. Nothing more than that. I believe most people get that. But shown by some people stopping by here with some nationalistic flagwaving american pride blinding them they can't take that. Disrespecting 'murica etc. 

Peeps.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,702
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:

Nope. 

Pumpkin puss.

Thread integrity...my friends daughter is a first year teacher, which I failed to mention. What a way to start your career with this type of nonsense.  Poor girl. 
    I guess the upside for her is much of this became open here and a measure of acceptance for it as she grew into aduthood. her gen can better roll with it.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I know I am going to regret asking...but what the fuck is a pumpkin puss...jeesh...another thread soon to be closed.
    Oooops. Someone hasn't seen Once Upon A Time in Hollywood yet.

Busted!

• Options
    It's bad enough that I have to get hit on by all the mid 20 girls at work,  but now I have to deal with sexual harassment on this board.  It's distressing. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:

Nope. 

Pumpkin puss.

It was a tounge-in-cheek line because of the discussions that has been on this board lately. Nothing more than that. I believe most people get that. But shown by some people stopping by here with some nationalistic flagwaving american pride blinding them they can't take that. Disrespecting 'murica etc. 

Peeps.
    Says the guy who literally flies the swedish flag on this site.  Hilarious. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    It's bad enough that I have to get hit on by all the mid 20 girls at work,  but now I have to deal with sexual harassment on this board.  It's distressing. 
    You have it rough at work...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:

Nope. 

Pumpkin puss.

Peeps.
    I don't. 

Pointing out how awful the US is has nothing to do with being nationalistic.  You ever see me waving anything when talking about other developed countries?

Grandstanding, like you do, about the US is nationalistic. Because you are defending awful because "b-b-but greatest experiment".

Midtier country is a midtier country.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:

Nope. 

Pumpkin puss.

Peeps.
    I don't. 

Pointing out how awful the US is has nothing to do with being nationalistic.  You ever see me waving anything when talking about other developed countries?

Grandstanding, like you do, about the US is nationalistic. Because you are defending awful because "b-b-but greatest experiment".

You literally said...

Sweden is ahead of you (once again) peeps

You're the only one that extols their country around.  The sweet irony of your posts. 

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    rgambs said:

I think that's quite unfair. I think many of us are as liberal as the day is long, and just as empathetic, but where does it end? this is getting fucking ridiculous. 

I don't agree with someone saying they are biologically the wrong sex. If they wish to change it, have at it. Don't wish to change it but identify as the other? Also, have at it. I don't give two fucks about what bathrooms people use. I think separation by sex is stupid anyway (no, I never watched Ally McBeal). But I do agree that people can identify with whatever gender they wish. Sex is binary. Gender doesn't have to be. 

but pandering to someone who seems to be obviously just trying to fuck with the system is a bad precedent to take. 

pick a name or stay home. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:

Nope. 

Pumpkin puss.

Peeps.
    I don't. 

You literally said...

Sweden is ahead of you (once again) peeps

You're the only one that extols their country around.  The sweet irony of your posts. 

You are going in circles like Freddy has Alice and Dan do in A Nightmare on Elm Street part 4: The Dream Master when they're trying to save Debbie.

I've already answered this. And you responded to that post. 

So, again - you are going in circles. Hopefully you snap out of it and saves Debbie before Freddy turns her into a cockroach.