The all-purpose heavy duty Climate Chaos thread (sprinkled with hope).

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-wildfires-alaska/alaskas-heat-wave-fuels-dangerous-smoke-melts-glaciers-idUSKCN1TW1OV?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1BMqb1tLT85l92o4t3_nQETjERDzlOINUzAs_drZWN3hE1qTKRvPuUPCo

Alaska's heat wave fuels dangerous smoke, melts glaciers

Well, Alaska might not be a good option as a place to move...probably go to still get -40 in the winter and very hot in the summer...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-wildfires-alaska/alaskas-heat-wave-fuels-dangerous-smoke-melts-glaciers-idUSKCN1TW1OV?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1BMqb1tLT85l92o4t3_nQETjERDzlOINUzAs_drZWN3hE1qTKRvPuUPCo

Well, Alaska might not be a good option as a place to move...probably go to still get -40 in the winter and very hot in the summer...
    They are definitely having unusually warm weather.  My step daughter lives in Ketchikan and they are uncomfortably warm lately.  And Ketchikan relies on water for generating power and that has been a problem as well due to recent drought.  Not good signs.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

They are definitely having unusually warm weather.  My step daughter lives in Ketchikan and they are uncomfortably warm lately.  And Ketchikan relies on water for generating power and that has been a problem as well due to recent drought.  Not good signs.
    Is it possible that Alaska could get extreme cold winters followed by 90 degree summers?

I checked that place out that your step daughter lives...seems like a really nice place.  It does not get the -40-50 winter weather?
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

Is it possible that Alaska could get extreme cold winters followed by 90 degree summers?

I checked that place out that your step daughter lives...seems like a really nice place.  It does not get the -40-50 winter weather?
    No.  Because it's coastal, they don't even get a lot of snow in town.  The mountains rise up quickly from the coast, so higher elevations get a lot of snow, but coastal-wise it just gets chilly and daylight is fairly short in winter- the shortest day is around 7 hours of sunlight so winters are not good for people with S.A.D. syndrome.   It sounds like a really great place though in spring through fall.  My wife has been there a number of times.  My first trip will be in 2020 (that will put me close to Canada in case... well, you know!  :lol: )
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

No.  Because it's coastal, they don't even get a lot of snow in town.  The mountains rise up quickly from the coast, so higher elevations get a lot of snow, but coastal-wise it just gets chilly and daylight is fairly short in winter- the shortest day is around 7 hours of sunlight so winters are not good for people with S.A.D. syndrome.   It sounds like a really great place though in spring through fall.  My wife has been there a number of times.  My first trip will be in 2020 (that will put me close to Canada in case... well, you know!  :lol: )

You can sneak across...lol

Sounds like a great trip.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,828
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/08/business/media/as-the-world-heats-up-the-climate-for-news-is-changing-too.html

As Europe heats up, Greenland melts and the Midwest floods, many news organizations are devoting more resources to climate change as they cover the topic with more urgency.

In Florida, six newsrooms with different owners have taken the unusual step of pooling their resources and sharing their reporting on the issue. They plan to examine how climate change will affect the state’s enormous agriculture sector as well as “the future of coastal towns and cities — which ones survive, which ones go under,” according to a statement released when the initiative was announced last month.

Florida’s record-breaking heat wavesdevastating storms like Hurricane Michael and increased flooding at high tide have not been lost on Mindy Marques, the publisher and executive editor of The Miami Herald, one of the six organizations taking part in the effort. “It’s undeniable that we are living with the impact of changes in our climate every day,” Ms. Marques said.

The other five outlets that have joined the initiative are The Palm Beach Post, The South Florida Sun Sentinel, The Tampa Bay Times, The Orlando Sentinel and WLRN Public Media. Ms. Marques said the partnership was not politically motivated.

“We’re not launching a campaign,” she said. “We’re launching information, knowledge.”

Link above for rest of story.

edited July 2019
    eddiec said:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/08/business/media/as-the-world-heats-up-the-climate-for-news-is-changing-too.html

As Europe heats up, Greenland melts and the Midwest floods, many news organizations are devoting more resources to climate change as they cover the topic with more urgency.

In Florida, six newsrooms with different owners have taken the unusual step of pooling their resources and sharing their reporting on the issue. They plan to examine how climate change will affect the state’s enormous agriculture sector as well as “the future of coastal towns and cities — which ones survive, which ones go under,” according to a statement released when the initiative was announced last month.

Florida’s record-breaking heat wavesdevastating storms like Hurricane Michael and increased flooding at high tide have not been lost on Mindy Marques, the publisher and executive editor of The Miami Herald, one of the six organizations taking part in the effort. “It’s undeniable that we are living with the impact of changes in our climate every day,” Ms. Marques said.

The other five outlets that have joined the initiative are The Palm Beach Post, The South Florida Sun Sentinel, The Tampa Bay Times, The Orlando Sentinel and WLRN Public Media. Ms. Marques said the partnership was not politically motivated.

“We’re not launching a campaign,” she said. “We’re launching information, knowledge.”

Link above for rest of story.

I'm glad to see more coverage unfolding... even if it is like someone telling another person, "A bus is going to hit you in exactly 30 seconds" and the other person waits 29 seconds before deciding, "Hmmm, maybe I should move out of the way".

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    was at the cottage last weekend. my buddy, whom I've known for 30 years, went on this "human caused climate change is a hoax" tirade with me. we were sitting there having drinks, smoked some weed, and he lays into me on this. I don't even recall how it came up. I just sat there stunned while he was basically yelling at me, cheering on his own points (as I wasn't prepared to debate with someone who was only looking for an argument, and I think my lack of engagement got him annoyed), and when our wives reappeared it went back to normal. it was fucking bizarre. he believes the scientists believe the data. but he believes that the way we analyze the data is flawed, he compared it to scientists believing all sorts of things hundreds of years ago (the earth was flat, it was the centre of the universe, etc). I did try to explain to him that our technology and ways of analyzing data is far superior to then, but he "wasn't buying it". 

this same guy, last year, proclaimed to us that he won't set foot in the US until Trump is out of office. 

I found that interesting. A guy that hates trump with such fervor can also be a climate change denier. I guess I always just lumped climate change deniers with conservatives. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

was at the cottage last weekend. my buddy, whom I've known for 30 years, went on this "human caused climate change is a hoax" tirade with me. we were sitting there having drinks, smoked some weed, and he lays into me on this. I don't even recall how it came up. I just sat there stunned while he was basically yelling at me, cheering on his own points (as I wasn't prepared to debate with someone who was only looking for an argument, and I think my lack of engagement got him annoyed), and when our wives reappeared it went back to normal. it was fucking bizarre. he believes the scientists believe the data. but he believes that the way we analyze the data is flawed, he compared it to scientists believing all sorts of things hundreds of years ago (the earth was flat, it was the centre of the universe, etc). I did try to explain to him that our technology and ways of analyzing data is far superior to then, but he "wasn't buying it". 

this same guy, last year, proclaimed to us that he won't set foot in the US until Trump is out of office. 

I found that interesting. A guy that hates trump with such fervor can also be a climate change denier. I guess I always just lumped climate change deniers with conservatives. 
    That's about the time you say, "Dude, I don't think you and I are smoking the same stuff."  That would be weird- I'm not sure I'd quite know what to say.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,293
    one thing I dont see mentioned much anywhere is along with the usual suspects as it relates to climate change, just why deforestation isnt included?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/massive-forest-restoration-could-greatly-slow-global-warming/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    one thing I dont see mentioned much anywhere is along with the usual suspects as it relates to climate change, just why deforestation isnt included?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/massive-forest-restoration-could-greatly-slow-global-warming/?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Excellent point. Thanks for pointing that out! 

I remember reading in one of Bill McKibben's books about how not only does cutting trees down the carbon absorption work they do, but also the detritus from down trees and burning slash adds carbon to the atmosphere. 

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    brianlux said:

That's about the time you say, "Dude, I don't think you and I are smoking the same stuff."  That would be weird- I'm not sure I'd quite know what to say.
    a whole whack of us are going to be out at the cottage next week (including two lawyers who live to argue). after everyone is good and lubed up, I'm going to just yell "climate change is real!" and run back to my cottage. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited July 2019
    brianlux said:

a whole whack of us are going to be out at the cottage next week (including two lawyers who live to argue). after everyone is good and lubed up, I'm going to just yell "climate change is real!" and run back to my cottage. 
    You should wear this shirt. I got $5 on it.😁

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

edited July 2019
    brianlux said:

The man likes to live dangerously, folks! :lol: 

It was pointed out that we've had several global warming threads so I renamed this one with the intent of keeping the focus on one place.

I try very hard to remain optimistic that we can slow global warming so my purpose in post the following link is not to be a downer, but to encourage us to try a little harder.  Last June was the hottest in recorded history.  The seemingly ironic thing for many of us around my area is that we had a mild June and are having a relatively mild July thus far.  But of course local weather is not the same as global climate and the facts stand- world wide, June was the hottest in recorded history and points directly at a problem we would do well to address by adjusting our thermostats at least a little, having more no-drive or ride-sharing days, take more "staycations" and fewer flights, etc.  What ever little or large more we do can only help!

brianlux said:
    Once again "climate change" (why are people afraid to call it global warming?) gets the short shrift again.  Maybe the dems care a little more than the republicans, but obviously they don't really care all that much. 

Bend over... we all know the routine.

I always assumed people started calling it climate change instead of global warming because the deniers couldn’t wrap their heads around the fact that it still snows. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,924
    Hi! said:
    brianlux said:
    Once again "climate change" (why are people afraid to call it global warming?) gets the short shrift again.  Maybe the dems care a little more than the republicans, but obviously they don't really care all that much. 

I always assumed people started calling it climate change instead of global warming because the deniers couldn’t wrap their heads around the fact that it still snows. 

My understanding is that this was a branding attempt. Global warming implies something happening that's an unexpected and undesirable phenomena, whereas climate change sounds like something within the realm of normalcy that sounds insignificant. It reads as similar but opposite to when the anti-abortion movement was reclassified as the pro-life movement.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    edited July 2019
    benjs said:
    Hi! said:
    brianlux said:

My understanding is that this was a branding attempt. Global warming implies something happening that's an unexpected and undesirable phenomena, whereas climate change sounds like something within the realm of normalcy that sounds insignificant. It reads as similar but opposite to when the anti-abortion movement was reclassified as the pro-life movement.
    Yes, I’ve seen hints of this from different sources. I think we should change the name to: Climate Catastrophe Emergency!!

Post edited by Hi! on

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,924
    Hi! said:
    benjs said:
    Hi! said:
    brianlux said:

Yes, I’ve seen hints of this from different sources. I think we should the name to: Climate Catastrophe Emergency!!

I'm good with "the middle of the end", and only because to claim it's the beginning would be to remove our accountability for the mess made to-date.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    Hi, Ben, you guys hit it right on the head!  Totally agree with you both. 

We've softened the language because we are a society steeped in denial.  You can see it throughout history.  Classic case of course is George Carlin's "Euphemistic Language" routine that took us from SHELL SHOCK to post traumatic stress disorder.

Hemp 101: What Is Hemp, What’s It Used for, and Why Is It Illegal?
    https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/hemp-101-what-is-hemp-whats-it-used-for-and-why-is-it-illegal

Hemp likely can replace a lot of the single-use plastic.  The problem with Hemp is that it looks closely like its much better sister Cannabis...lol

Hemp is now legal in the US and Canada.  How do you use hemp in clothes when so much of the world is closed minded to the Cannabis plant??  The world knows what needs to be done...but the world is slow to act.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,293
    https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/hemp-101-what-is-hemp-whats-it-used-for-and-why-is-it-illegal

Hemp likely can replace a lot of the single-use plastic.  The problem with Hemp is that it looks closely like its much better sister Cannabis...lol

Hemp is now legal in the US and Canada.  How do you use hemp in clothes when so much of the world is closed minded to the Cannabis plant??  The world knows what needs to be done...but the world is slow to act.
    Tobacco states are looking to grow hemp instead of tobacco as smoking further declines.

Could restart textiles manufacturing on a small scale.

Thats just one of a shit ton of uses.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:

Tobacco states are looking to grow hemp instead of tobacco as smoking further declines.

Could restart textiles manufacturing on a small scale.

Thats just one of a shit ton of uses.....
    :plus_one:

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited July 2019
    :anguished: The Trump era EPA should seriously be change to the EDA: Environmental Destruction Agency.

EPA to allow pesticide seen as threat to bees

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Environmental Protection Agency will allow farmers to resume broad use of a pesticide over objections from beekeepers, citing chemical industry private studies that the agency says show the product is only a lower-level threat to bees and other wildlife.

Friday’s EPA announcement makes sulfoxaflor the latest bug- and weed-killer defended by the Trump administration despite lawsuits alleging environmental or human harm. The pesticide is made by Corteva Agriscience, a spinoff created last month in the DowDuPont merger.

A federal appeals court had ordered the EPA to withdraw approval for the pesticide in 2015, ruling in a lawsuit brought by U.S. beekeeping groups that not enough was known about what it did to bees.

EPA Assistant Administrator Alexandra Dapolito Dunn said Friday that new industry studies that have not been made public show only a low level of risk to bees and other wildlife.

Dunn said EPA’s newly reset rules for use of sulfoxaflor, such as generally prohibiting spraying of fruit and nut-bearing plants in bloom, when pollinators would be attracted to the flowers, would limit harm to bees. She called it “an important and highly effective tool for growers.”

READ MORE: Are commercial honeybees making wild bees sick?

Michele Colopy, program director of the Pollinator Stewardship Council, one of the beekeeping groups that had successfully sued to block sulfoxaflor, said the EPA limits weren’t enough to protect bees and other beneficial bugs whose numbers are declining.

“We understand farmers want to have every tool in their toolbox,” when it comes to curbing insects that damage crops. “But the … pesticides are just decimating beneficial insects,” Colopy said.

An environmental group charged the EPA with sidestepping the usual public review in reapproving broader use of the pesticide.

“The Trump EPA’s reckless approval… without any public process is a terrible blow to imperiled pollinators,” said Lori Ann Burd, director of the Center for Biological Diversity’s environmental health program.

Other Trump administration decisions have upheld market use of the weed-killing glyphosate, which is now the target of thousands of consumer lawsuits over alleged harm to people exposed to it, and shelved an Obama-era decision to ban the pesticide chlorpyrifos as a threat to human health.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    :anguished: The Trump era EPA should seriously be change to the EDA: Environmental Destruction Agency.

EPA to allow pesticide seen as threat to bees

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Environmental Protection Agency will allow farmers to resume broad use of a pesticide over objections from beekeepers, citing chemical industry private studies that the agency says show the product is only a lower-level threat to bees and other wildlife.

Friday’s EPA announcement makes sulfoxaflor the latest bug- and weed-killer defended by the Trump administration despite lawsuits alleging environmental or human harm. The pesticide is made by Corteva Agriscience, a spinoff created last month in the DowDuPont merger.

A federal appeals court had ordered the EPA to withdraw approval for the pesticide in 2015, ruling in a lawsuit brought by U.S. beekeeping groups that not enough was known about what it did to bees.

EPA Assistant Administrator Alexandra Dapolito Dunn said Friday that new industry studies that have not been made public show only a low level of risk to bees and other wildlife.

Dunn said EPA’s newly reset rules for use of sulfoxaflor, such as generally prohibiting spraying of fruit and nut-bearing plants in bloom, when pollinators would be attracted to the flowers, would limit harm to bees. She called it “an important and highly effective tool for growers.”

READ MORE: Are commercial honeybees making wild bees sick?

Michele Colopy, program director of the Pollinator Stewardship Council, one of the beekeeping groups that had successfully sued to block sulfoxaflor, said the EPA limits weren’t enough to protect bees and other beneficial bugs whose numbers are declining.

“We understand farmers want to have every tool in their toolbox,” when it comes to curbing insects that damage crops. “But the … pesticides are just decimating beneficial insects,” Colopy said.

An environmental group charged the EPA with sidestepping the usual public review in reapproving broader use of the pesticide.

“The Trump EPA’s reckless approval… without any public process is a terrible blow to imperiled pollinators,” said Lori Ann Burd, director of the Center for Biological Diversity’s environmental health program.

Other Trump administration decisions have upheld market use of the weed-killing glyphosate, which is now the target of thousands of consumer lawsuits over alleged harm to people exposed to it, and shelved an Obama-era decision to ban the pesticide chlorpyrifos as a threat to human health.

OMG, it's just so pathetic.  The man is a public menace.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,794
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    That bag promo had the opposite results and people were getting the bags as a novelty.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    That bag promo had the opposite results and people were getting the bags as a novelty.
    Better solution:  stores no longer having plastic bags in the first place.  Doh!

brianlux said:
    Better solution:  stores no longer having plastic bags in the first place.  Doh!
    Agreed 100%...
    Give Peas A Chance…