The all-purpose heavy duty Climate Chaos thread (sprinkled with hope).

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Trudeau calls for global carbon tax at COP26 summit

Lmfao.  This dude had met a tax he doesn’t …

that carbon tax is working well in bc…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    LOL. How many of you do I offset with needing 200 gallons of gas/week just for my boat? Add my SUVs, sideXside, snowmobiles. And your dreaded gas leaf blower. But don't worry, I use reusable straws. 
    don't forget the coal fired steam engine to get to your weekly rounds with trump. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Hypocrisy in the air at COP26: More than 200 private jets so leaders can talk emissions

Do as I say not as I do…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • I use rechargeable outdoor tools…talk about convenience.
    Real Talk.  Do they work well?  We bought a Dyson and after 5 years it is approaching it's planned obsolescence.
  • Hypocrisy in the air at COP26: More than 200 private jets so leaders can talk emissions

Do as I say not as I do…

I would not want any president and their staff to be on a commercial plane.  I will say that.
    I use rechargeable outdoor tools…talk about convenience.
    Real Talk.  Do they work well?  We bought a Dyson and after 5 years it is approaching it's planned obsolescence.
    They work excellent.  Stick to the same brand, the batteries are interchangeable.  The Dyson I got still works great about 4 years.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    The hypocrisy is these assholes are spewing unnecessary carbon going to a bunch of meetings that solve absolutely nothing…it’s just bs.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I use rechargeable outdoor tools…talk about convenience.

Yeah, I'm really pissed at Sears for selling me this otherwise great quality battery operated drill driver and then later on changing the battery style so the darned thing has become close to obsolete. I'm down to my last battery that will hold a charge and they no longer sell those batteries.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

The hypocrisy is these assholes are spewing unnecessary carbon going to a bunch of meetings that solve absolutely nothing…it’s just bs.

A bit generalizing but, yeah, there are reasons to be unhappy with some of the attendees:

Greta Thunberg, other climate change activists in Glasgow slam 'greenwashing' and 'false solutions'

GLASGOW, Scotland — Climate activist Greta Thunberg stormed out of an event at the U.N. Climate Change Conference on Wednesday afternoon, where officials and business leaders were discussing how to ensure that markets for trading carbon offsets actually achieve the purpose of reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

The Swedish teenager, who was in the audience at a panel discussion, left the venue saying, “Thanks for greenwashing,” after a moderator thanked her for attending the session.

When Thunberg said “greenwashing,” she was using an environmentalists’ term for an organization’s false portrayal of itself as environmentally friendly. Some activists contend that corporations and governments participating in the climate summit, also known as COP26, are guilty of just that, by paying lip service to combating climate change while continuing to use the fossil fuels that cause global warming.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Really heartbreaking when you think about it.

Climate depression is real. And it is spreading fast among our youth

A School Strike for Climate protest in Sydney Australia May 2021

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    I can’t imagine watching/reading about this and not believing this is real.  I cried the entire time I watched it last night then cried more today when I found out there were 1.8 million in donations to the World Food Program raised in 24 hours to help feed these children.  The bad, the good, it’s all very heart wrenching. 

https://abcnews.go.com/International/madagascar-verge-climate-change-induced-famine/story?id=80857410
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

:lol:
    Oh, if only it were so easy!

Some friends of ours recently got an electric car, a Hyundai Kona.  I was a bit shocked when they said it cast a little over $42,000.  Whoa!  It does have some extra bells and whistles but still, I wonder how many people are going to be able to afford to change over to electric when are no other choices nay more?

And how much will these electric cars actually help?  Honest question.  I have concerns.  Is all this electricity needed to charge million upon millions of electric cars going to come from clean energy sources?  What about all the mining for rare earths minerals that are used in the batteries?  Will the electric car actually reduce global warming?  I have to ask!

I’ve maintained that electric cars will always be a small percentage of the market…just to expensive.  Banning the sale of ICE vehicles are just a pie in the sky idea dreamed up by activist politicians.  In Canada idiot PM thinks he can ban ICE by 2035…lmfao…more and more people will just invest their money in fixing up and restoring ICE vehicles.

Then there is this little problem of recharging them while on the go…I’ve driven out west through norther Ontario…you can go long stretches between gas stations.  

My father worked 35 years for Ontario hydro…he doubts the grid could handle mass amounts of vehicles needing recharged every night.  

I’m more excited for the hydrogen fuel cell.  And Toyota is focused on that more than electric.  I’d like to see where that goes.

But at the end of the day every single thing we do as humans impact the environment…and until people wake up and realize there are just way too many of us.  Obviously it’s hard to control the population, but our government can be smarter about immigration.

We can’t even figure out how to recycle?  So personally I think we are past the point of no return…

All we can do is prepare, maybe watch Waterworld to get some tips on living on water…hehehe.

This all makes sense to me (and thanks for the info). 

There are something like 275 million cars in the U.S. alone.  Imagine the power grid trying to handle all that!  And where does all that power come from?  Cover the deserts with solar panels... which are mostly plastic, which is oil... and they only last about, what?, 15 years?

Car crazy America, is how one author puts it.  There's just no way it's gonna happen.  Even hydrogen fuel cell cars.  275 million cars in the U.S.  Add another 25 million cars in Canada and 50 million in Mexico.  Now were up to 350 million cars in North America alone, and those figure are from 2019 so probably closer to 375 or 400 million vehicles.  And what about all those private and commercial planes and motor boats and jet skies and lawn mowers and holy fuck knows what else uses gas and/ or electricty.  Where does all the stuff come from to make these things?  All the metal and plastic?  All the heavy metals and rare earths for computers and batteries?  Mines where all the trees have been stripped! 

Car crazy world is... well... crazy!

Too many people?  Yep!  Bingo again, man, you got it.  When will we start talking about that?  No one seems to want to talk about that!

Oh, and Waterword.  That movie got panned but I liked it!
    Me too!  Still watch it if it’s on. Not enough to buy or rent though 
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

:lol:
    Oh, if only it were so easy!

Some friends of ours recently got an electric car, a Hyundai Kona.  I was a bit shocked when they said it cast a little over $42,000.  Whoa!  It does have some extra bells and whistles but still, I wonder how many people are going to be able to afford to change over to electric when are no other choices nay more?

And how much will these electric cars actually help?  Honest question.  I have concerns.  Is all this electricity needed to charge million upon millions of electric cars going to come from clean energy sources?  What about all the mining for rare earths minerals that are used in the batteries?  Will the electric car actually reduce global warming?  I have to ask!

I’ve maintained that electric cars will always be a small percentage of the market…just to expensive.  Banning the sale of ICE vehicles are just a pie in the sky idea dreamed up by activist politicians.  In Canada idiot PM thinks he can ban ICE by 2035…lmfao…more and more people will just invest their money in fixing up and restoring ICE vehicles.

Then there is this little problem of recharging them while on the go…I’ve driven out west through norther Ontario…you can go long stretches between gas stations.  

My father worked 35 years for Ontario hydro…he doubts the grid could handle mass amounts of vehicles needing recharged every night.  

I’m more excited for the hydrogen fuel cell.  And Toyota is focused on that more than electric.  I’d like to see where that goes.

But at the end of the day every single thing we do as humans impact the environment…and until people wake up and realize there are just way too many of us.  Obviously it’s hard to control the population, but our government can be smarter about immigration.

We can’t even figure out how to recycle?  So personally I think we are past the point of no return…

All we can do is prepare, maybe watch Waterworld to get some tips on living on water…hehehe.

This all makes sense to me (and thanks for the info). 

There are something like 275 million cars in the U.S. alone.  Imagine the power grid trying to handle all that!  And where does all that power come from?  Cover the deserts with solar panels... which are mostly plastic, which is oil... and they only last about, what?, 15 years?

Car crazy America, is how one author puts it.  There's just no way it's gonna happen.  Even hydrogen fuel cell cars.  275 million cars in the U.S.  Add another 25 million cars in Canada and 50 million in Mexico.  Now were up to 350 million cars in North America alone, and those figure are from 2019 so probably closer to 375 or 400 million vehicles.  And what about all those private and commercial planes and motor boats and jet skies and lawn mowers and holy fuck knows what else uses gas and/ or electricty.  Where does all the stuff come from to make these things?  All the metal and plastic?  All the heavy metals and rare earths for computers and batteries?  Mines where all the trees have been stripped! 

Car crazy world is... well... crazy!

Too many people?  Yep!  Bingo again, man, you got it.  When will we start talking about that?  No one seems to want to talk about that!

Oh, and Waterword.  That movie got panned but I liked it!
    Me too!  Still watch it if it’s on. Not enough to buy or rent though 

Very cool!  Now if I could just spell correctly.  :lol: 

I can’t imagine watching/reading about this and not believing this is real.  I cried the entire time I watched it last night then cried more today when I found out there were 1.8 million in donations to the World Food Program raised in 24 hours to help feed these children.  The bad, the good, it’s all very heart wrenching. 

https://abcnews.go.com/International/madagascar-verge-climate-change-induced-famine/story?id=80857410

Oh man, terribly sad. 
    As I said earlier, I don't think money alone will solve the problem.  But those kids are starving and without guilt.  Do you or anyone know of an agency that collects funds to help these people- an agency that does not pocket an exorbitant amount for their own infrastructure and over-pay their top people?  I'd like to know because we still have tithing money to disburse for environmental and social issues before the end of the year. We're always happy to do that.
    Thanks for suggestions.

• Interesting article about solar panels mixed in with crops.  It saves the crops from having to use so much water.

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/14/1054942590/solar-energy-colorado-garden-farm-land
    Interesting article about solar panels mixed in with crops.  It saves the crops from having to use so much water.

https://www.npr.org/2021/11/14/1054942590/solar-energy-colorado-garden-farm-land

Interesting!  That is SO much better an option than placing the panel on fragile desert ecosystems.  Good job, farmers!

• brianlux said:
    Interesting article about solar panels mixed in with crops.  It saves the crops from having to use so much water.

Interesting!  That is SO much better an option than placing the panel on fragile desert ecosystems.  Good job, farmers!
    It really is amazing how much more efficient the crops and water are in this situation, AND you are making renewable energy!
    brianlux said:

It really is amazing how much more efficient the crops and water are in this situation, AND you are making renewable energy!

Win/ win!

• brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Win/ win!
    It's my good news for the day.

There was another article that talked about fixing the way we transfer water and I thought of you.  When I have time I'll try and find it to post as I remember you talking about wanting to move water across the states to areas that are lacking.
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Win/ win!
    It's my good news for the day.

There was another article that talked about fixing the way we transfer water and I thought of you.  When I have time I'll try and find it to post as I remember you talking about wanting to move water across the states to areas that are lacking.

Great- will look for it.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    ummmmm......

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/blizzard-warning-issued-hawaii-least-202000069.html

A blizzard warning has been issued for Hawaii, with at least 12 inches of snow forecast this weekend.  The warning is in effect for the Big Island summits from...

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited December 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    ummmmm......

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/blizzard-warning-issued-hawaii-least-202000069.html

A blizzard warning has been issued for Hawaii, with at least 12 inches of snow forecast this weekend.  The warning is in effect for the Big Island summits from...

From the article:  "A blizzard warning for tropical Hawaii may come as a surprise, but snow is not uncommon; the summits of the Big Island's Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa volcanoes reach nearly 14,000 feet in elevation."

My wife's business partner and friend of many years lived of the Island of Hawaii ("the big island") a long time ago and she says snow on the mountain summits was no uncommon.  I was surprised to hear that until finding out how high some of the summits are.  But yeah, "snow in Hawaii" does have a strange ring to it!

Give Peas A Chance…
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I find this hilarious…though I do feel for those two. 

(there’s really a “Tezlo”?)
  • Chile is going through a Constitutional convention right now and are going to rewrite their constitution.

In it they are going to put in place rules about not destroying the country for the future and for the indigenous.  That has a lot of promise to it.

Chile is one of the leading miners of Lithium and the demand for Lithium batteries has climbed over the years.

This will be an ongoing project and I am interested on what they come up with.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Chile is going through a Constitutional convention right now and are going to rewrite their constitution.

In it they are going to put in place rules about not destroying the country for the future and for the indigenous.  That has a lot of promise to it.

Chile is one of the leading miners of Lithium and the demand for Lithium batteries has climbed over the years.

Likely they will come up with a US Govt backed coup to keep the EV batteries flowing.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • static111 said:
    Chile is going through a Constitutional convention right now and are going to rewrite their constitution.

Likely they will come up with a US Govt backed coup to keep the EV batteries flowing.
    150 different people are writing it so that would have to be one hell of a coup.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited December 2021
    static111 said:

150 different people are writing it so that would have to be one hell of a coup.
    https://apnews.com/article/north-america-caribbean-ap-top-news-venezuela-honduras-2ded14659982426c9b2552827734be83  lot of historical precedence for us jumping in.  Some for the better some for completely selfish business reasons.

edit: here is more info summarized in wikipedia....note there is even a previous case of US involvement of a previous coup in Chile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_involvement_in_regime_change_in_Latin_America

I know this is supposed to be a hopeful and sensible thread, but I think I am too pessimistic after viewing the behavior of the US for so long.
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • static111 said:
    static111 said:

https://apnews.com/article/north-america-caribbean-ap-top-news-venezuela-honduras-2ded14659982426c9b2552827734be83  lot of historical precedence for us jumping in.  Some for the better some for completely selfish business reasons.

edit: here is more info summarized in wikipedia....note there is even a previous case of US involvement of a previous coup in Chile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_involvement_in_regime_change_in_Latin_America

I know this is supposed to be a hopeful and sensible thread, but I think I am too pessimistic after viewing the behavior of the US for so long.
    150 people voted by the citizens to change it...  I think the people will get it right.