Options

The all-purpose heavy duty Climate Chaos thread (sprinkled with hope).

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    where is the tech at with regards to how long (distance and/or time) a charge on a car will last? A buddy has a tesla, and his parents live 3 hours away. When he goes to visit, he barely makes it there (no charging stations in between in the vast emptiness of the prairies), and it has to charge overnight. that doesn't sound feasible for long distance travel at this point. 

down here tesla has established a network of charging stations.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mickeyrat said:
    where is the tech at with regards to how long (distance and/or time) a charge on a car will last? A buddy has a tesla, and his parents live 3 hours away. When he goes to visit, he barely makes it there (no charging stations in between in the vast emptiness of the prairies), and it has to charge overnight. that doesn't sound feasible for long distance travel at this point. 

even with that, how long do you have to stand around waiting for a charge? my buddy's car, I think, takes several hours to fully charge up again. if i'm driving cross country, it would take many times the amount of time in an electric car, counting in all the charging time. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

even with that, how long do you have to stand around waiting for a charge? my buddy's car, I think, takes several hours to fully charge up again. if i'm driving cross country, it would take many times the amount of time in an electric car, counting in all the charging time. 

30 min? these are tesla specific charging stations.

looked it up. 15 min nets 200 miles

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

oh wow, that's wildly different than I previously understood. awesome. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:

oh wow, that's wildly different than I previously understood. awesome. 

its not a full charge though....

site said they have or will have 25k stations.. .  trip plan based on locations. onboard nav has them set to go...

• Options
    I always envisioned them swapping out battery packs like you would a forklift or cordless tool.

Maybe one day?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,735
    mickeyrat said:
    kill half of the humans and burn them for fuel. problem solved

But that would be a waste because humans are mostly water so it would take more energy to burn them than burning would produce.  On the other hand, dropping them on wildfires to help put out the flames...:grin:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    edited September 2021
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

But that would be a waste because humans are mostly water so it would take more energy to burn them than burning would produce.  On the other hand, dropping them on wildfires to help put out the flames...:grin:
    Kill two birds with one stone. I like it.

Edit: Pardon the expression, I'm not anti-bird.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:

Kill two birds with one stone. I like it.

Edit: Pardon the expression, I'm not anti-bird.

I hear you, Ben.  I'm a Bird fan as well!
    The Sound and Myth of Charlie Parker at 100

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Terrible new this morning:

Southern Sierra wildfires wiping out giant sequoia trees for 2nd year in a row

More than a dozen groves of giant sequoias may lose significant numbers of trees in the wildfires now raging in the southern Sierra Nevada, even as fire crews succeed, sometimes dramatically, in keeping flames at bay in the most popular stands.

Scientists surveying the damage of two active fires say the biggest losses will likely be at the south end of Giant Sequoia National Monument, where already 29 large trees have been listed as dead and many more are expected to follow.

The Windy Fire there has exploded to 87,901 acres, and it’s burning out of control through several less-known, but still-towering sequoia stands, including the stately Packsaddle Grove. The fire was just 25% contained on Wednesday.

“We should probably anticipate numbers (mortality rates) similar to what came out of the Castle Fire,” said Garrett Dickman, a botanist at Yosemite National Park, referring to last year’s blaze that in some spots killed more than 50% of the sequoia trees. “I really hope to be wildly off on this, but I don’t know.”

Dickman is leading the damage assessment of sequoias in the national monument, a job that has taken on heightened significance after the extraordinary tally of sequoia deaths in recent years.

Once thought to be impervious to fire, the trees, which grow only within a limited band on the western slopes of the Sierra, have become increasingly vulnerable to California’s bigger, hotter blazes. The Castle Fire alone wiped out between 10% and 14% of the total sequoia population. Scientists worry that if wildfires continue to get worse, fueled largely by the warming climate and the buildup of unruly vegetation, the future of the species could be in real doubt.

• Options
    brianlux said:

More than a dozen groves of giant sequoias may lose significant numbers of trees in the wildfires now raging in the southern Sierra Nevada, even as fire crews succeed, sometimes dramatically, in keeping flames at bay in the most popular stands.

Scientists surveying the damage of two active fires say the biggest losses will likely be at the south end of Giant Sequoia National Monument, where already 29 large trees have been listed as dead and many more are expected to follow.

The Windy Fire there has exploded to 87,901 acres, and it’s burning out of control through several less-known, but still-towering sequoia stands, including the stately Packsaddle Grove. The fire was just 25% contained on Wednesday.

“We should probably anticipate numbers (mortality rates) similar to what came out of the Castle Fire,” said Garrett Dickman, a botanist at Yosemite National Park, referring to last year’s blaze that in some spots killed more than 50% of the sequoia trees. “I really hope to be wildly off on this, but I don’t know.”

Dickman is leading the damage assessment of sequoias in the national monument, a job that has taken on heightened significance after the extraordinary tally of sequoia deaths in recent years.

Once thought to be impervious to fire, the trees, which grow only within a limited band on the western slopes of the Sierra, have become increasingly vulnerable to California’s bigger, hotter blazes. The Castle Fire alone wiped out between 10% and 14% of the total sequoia population. Scientists worry that if wildfires continue to get worse, fueled largely by the warming climate and the buildup of unruly vegetation, the future of the species could be in real doubt.

Hopefully The Sherman tree is spared...
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    brianlux said:

Hopefully The Sherman tree is spared...

Yes!  And I hope many more spared.  The lost of any of of these giants is heart breaking.  Some of these trees are 2,000 years old and it takes 800 to 1500 years for a giant Sequoia to mature.  The magnanimity of these losses is overwhelming. 

• Options
    jpgoegeljpgoegel Posts: 410
    edited September 2021
    mickeyrat said:
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    I dont know about that. I doubt there's a limit to how many houses in a neighborhood could be permitted for panel upgrade. think its a question 2 or 3 phase service within a home.

location may factor in I suppose.

But let's say there was no limit and all of the houses in the neighbor were permitted and retrofitted for upgrades--  The question still remains (and maybe more so), could the infrastructure bear the load?
    Location would surely matter, of course.  Much a California already faces power grid failure during the summer months.  We've experienced black outs and rolling black outs already over the last few years during heat waves, some that have lasted for days.  Add to that stress on the power grid with even just another 10% to 20% of cars replaced by electrics and down goes the system.  Is the grid able to hold up when more cars go electric?  I don't know.  Does anyone know?  Has any or all of this been factored in?  I think some areas at least (particularly high population states) are in for some serious trouble with all of this.  Hopefully not.  We'll see. 

well I do believe these very things are a part of Biden's larger package.   
    this was part of the delay for me.  the town and mostly the utility company had to assess how many solar installations were already in place.  the infrastructure in my rural area is abysmal.   granted I know nothing about this stuff, but the transformer closest to my house looks like the original one ever introduced.  they did say it does have to do with the ability to handle extra load coming from home providers.
    Post edited by jpgoegel on
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    New Law Requires You To Listen To Greta Thunberg Lecture Before Purchasing Gasoline

The law will not apply to celebrities purchasing jet fuel.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    New Law Requires You To Listen To Greta Thunberg Lecture Before Purchasing Gasoline

Oh good gawd, no!  This has to be some kind of spoof.

Notice though the date, October 7th, 2019.  Obviously that one did not fly.  This has to be a spoof perpetrated by some right wing "media".

In any case, here's the text to the link:

U.S.—A series of new bills working their way through state legislatures in New York, California, Oregon, Hawaii, and several other progressive states will require you to listen to a Greta Thunberg lecture before purchasing gasoline.

Motorists will be required to watch a 20-minute lecture by the 16-year-old climate activist before they purchase gallons and gallons of harmful fossil fuels.

"We want to make sure drivers are informed," said California Governor Gavin Newsom, who says he will sign the bill into law. "So we are having them get lectured by a 16-year-old so they will have all the facts before they do something rash like put gasoline in their cars to go to work."

Once the driver has listened to Thunberg's entire lecture, they will be prompted to complete a quick, fifteen-question quiz to show they understand how horrible they are for driving a car. Drivers who get at least 80% will then be allowed to refuel their vehicles. As they refuel, the screen will simply play a clip of Thunberg saying, "How dare you!" over and over again.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    brianlux said:

Notice though the date, October 7th, 2019.  Obviously that one did not fly.  This has to be a spoof perpetrated by some right wing "media".

U.S.—A series of new bills working their way through state legislatures in New York, California, Oregon, Hawaii, and several other progressive states will require you to listen to a Greta Thunberg lecture before purchasing gasoline.

Motorists will be required to watch a 20-minute lecture by the 16-year-old climate activist before they purchase gallons and gallons of harmful fossil fuels.

"We want to make sure drivers are informed," said California Governor Gavin Newsom, who says he will sign the bill into law. "So we are having them get lectured by a 16-year-old so they will have all the facts before they do something rash like put gasoline in their cars to go to work."

Once the driver has listened to Thunberg's entire lecture, they will be prompted to complete a quick, fifteen-question quiz to show they understand how horrible they are for driving a car. Drivers who get at least 80% will then be allowed to refuel their vehicles. As they refuel, the screen will simply play a clip of Thunberg saying, "How dare you!" over and over again.

Babylon Bee bills itself as a Christian satire site ..... which probably explains why it isn't very funny ;)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    brianlux said:

It’s just satire…

lol

similar to the onion….

climate activist are exempt from environmental responsibility since so many fly on private jets to their climate change conferences…what bs. They’ve likely never solved a thing at these conferences
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Oh good! 
    Funny how some people call themselves Christians but don't take seriously the detrimental impacts of modern human living on the health of the planet.  The Bible is full of references and respect for nature.  The same is true with most religions.  This is nicely clarified in Tom Hayden's wonderful book, The Lost Gospel of the Earth (which Hayden described as "an effort to heal the divide between the human spirit and the natural world. It attempts to retrieve and apply an older vision in which the earth is alive, and the sacred is present there too." 
    I would argue that any form of spirituality that is void of a love and respect for Mother Nature is a bankrupt form of spirituality.

• Options

GOLDSTEIN: Emissions soaring as UN climate conference approaches

Pretty much…

we are delusional if we think we are reversing climate change

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Pretty much…

Are there actually people who think or claim that we are?  If so, are they delusional, or in denial, or just flat out lying?

• Options
    brianlux said:

Pretty much…

Are there actually people who think or claim that we are?  If so, are they delusional, or in denial, or just flat out lying?
    Yes, I think there are people who think we can reverse climate change...but it won't happen.  I hate to sound so negative.  

Brian, I have done as much as I can to reduce my carbon footprint.  I live in a small house not much bigger than a 2 bedroom apartment, recycle, take no unnecessary trips.

My only luxury is my 2015 jeep Cherokee 4 by 4 that get good mileage.

The problem in my area is the idiots who feel they need to live in 5000 square foot homes and drive 80 thousand dollar trucks just to get to work...wtf...that's why I'm excited by Fords' announcement.  Most people who own these big trucks never drive that far...so electric should suffice.

In the end, people are selfish...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Pretty much…

Yes, I think there are people who think we can reverse climate change...but it won't happen.  I hate to sound so negative.  

Brian, I have done as much as I can to reduce my carbon footprint.  I live in a small house not much bigger than a 2 bedroom apartment, recycle, take no unnecessary trips.

The problem in my area is the idiots who feel they need to live in 5000 square foot homes and drive 80 thousand dollar trucks just to get to work...wtf...that's why I'm excited by Fords' announcement.  Most people who own these big trucks never drive that far...so electric should suffice.

When you said, "we are delusional if we think we are reversing climate change" I reacted to "are", not "can".  We definitely are not reversing climate change.  But can we?  I would think theoretically we could if we wanted to.  To do so, we would collectively have to radically alter our life styles starting with phasing out automobiles (including your Jeep and my Prius), greatly reduce air travel, become vegetarian (or at least mostly vegetarian), learn to live with less heating and air conditioning, stop purchasing crap we don't need and buy durable good that last longer, and reduce population growth drastically. 
    What are the odds?  Probably as good as or less than you or I winning the lottery. 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Pretty much…

When you said, "we are delusional if we think we are reversing climate change" I reacted to "are", not "can".  We definitely are not reversing climate change.  But can we?  I would think theoretically we could if we wanted to.  To do so, we would collectively have to radically alter our life styles starting with phasing out automobiles (including your Jeep and my Prius), greatly reduce air travel, become vegetarian (or at least mostly vegetarian), learn to live with less heating and air conditioning, stop purchasing crap we don't need and buy durable good that last longer, and reduce population growth drastically. 
    What are the odds?  Probably as good as or less than you or I winning the lottery. 
    I actually thought I read quite recently that reversing it is now in our rear view. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Pretty much…

I actually thought I read quite recently that reversing it is now in our rear view. 

Oh man, you may be right.  This NASA article is not very encouraging even though it tries to infuse at least a little positive spin"

Is it too late to prevent climate change?

Humans have caused major climate changes to happen already, and we have set in motion more changes still. However, if we stopped emitting greenhouse gases today, the rise in global temperatures would begin to flatten within a few years. Temperatures would then plateau but remain well-elevated for many, many centuries. There is a time lag between what we do and when we feel it, but that lag is less than a decade.

While the effects of human activities on Earth's climate to date are irreversible on the timescale of human lifetimes, every little bit of avoided future temperature increases results in less warming that would otherwise persist for essentially forever. The benefits of reduced greenhouse gas emissions occur on the same timescale as the political decisions that lead to those reductions.

Without major action to reduce emissions, global temperature is on track to rise by 2.5 °C to 4.5 °C (4.5 °F to 8 °F) by 2100, according to the latest estimates.

But it may not be too late to avoid or limit some of the worst effects of climate change. Responding to climate change will involve a two-tier approach:
    • “Mitigation” – reducing the flow of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere
    • “Adaptation” – learning to live with, and adapt to, the climate change that has already been set in motion. The key question is, what will our emissions of carbon dioxide and other pollutants be in the years to come?

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Pretty much…

If you phase out the auto, then how do people get around?  I suppose I could sell my Jeep and build a stable and get a horse…if I must get a horse I am not stooping and scooping after my horse.  I’m flexible and have been horseback riding…not everyone is that flexible.
    I live on Canada, heat is a necessity and is essential, I live in southern Ontario which is humid throughout the summer so AC is also a necessity … I’m not sacrificing the comforts of a nice warm house when cold or a nice comfortable house in the summer.  I have no interest in living like they did 1850…I rather enjoy walking and adjusting my thermostat to get a comfortable temp, I would not like to trek to the wood pile in minus 10 to stay warm… B)

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    honestly, I live in Winnipeg, which is one of the most humid places on planet fucking earth in the summer, and one of the coldest in the winter (seriously, we're one of the most extreme temperature differentials on the planet from winter to summer), and I can count on one hand how many days I require AC. Do I use it often? yeah, probably. but could I use it a lot less? also probably. 

and sure, I love having my house warm in the winter, but a couple extra degrees lower and just wearing sweatpants and slippers would probably go a long way. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    and the guy above me says "I've done as much as I can to reduce my carbon footprint" and then the very next post says "i refuse to give up my comfort". 

this is the problem. 99% of people are only willing to give up things they don't care about, and then celebrate themselves as if they've done their part. as soon as it takes any effort, it's "keep your hands off my fucking fossil fuel". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Pretty much…

If you phase out the auto, then how do people get around?  I suppose I could sell my Jeep and build a stable and get a horse…if I must get a horse I am not stooping and scooping after my horse.  I’m flexible and have been horseback riding…not everyone is that flexible.
    I live on Canada, heat is a necessity and is essential, I live in southern Ontario which is humid throughout the summer so AC is also a necessity … I’m not sacrificing the comforts of a nice warm house when cold or a nice comfortable house in the summer.  I have no interest in living like they did 1850…I rather enjoy walking and adjusting my thermostat to get a comfortable temp, I would not like to trek to the wood pile in minus 10 to stay warm… B)

Yeah, a horse would be a great idea.  I've mucked stalls before.  I ain't too proud to do it.  Just to fucking old at this point.  :lol:

I hear a lot of I'm not, I'm not, I'm not from someone who posts a lot about climate change.  If you and I don't do something, why should anyone else?  Why even care about all this?  I'm not trying to bate you.  I'm honestly perplexed by your reactions.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Pretty much…

Yeah, a horse would be a great idea.  I've mucked stalls before.  I ain't too proud to do it.  Just to fucking old at this point.  :lol:

I hear a lot of I'm not, I'm not, I'm not from someone who posts a lot about climate change.  If you and I don't do something, why should anyone else?  Why even care about all this?  I'm not trying to bate you.  I'm honestly perplexed by your reactions.
    I really have no clue what you are talking about…lol

Ive already stated I have no desire to live like 1850.  Pretty easy to understand.

also I know a futile cause when I see one…climate change is not being reversed nor being slowed…

I have stated in the past that I’ll enjoy the ride.  I do what I can.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Pretty much…

I really have no clue what you are talking about…lol

Ive already stated I have no desire to live like 1850.  Pretty easy to understand.

also I know a futile cause when I see one…climate change is not being reversed nor being slowed…

I have stated in the past that I’ll enjoy the ride.  I do what I can.

Live like it's 1850?  Heck no, I get that.  If we all chucked our cars and didn't heat in the winter, we would not do well at all. But it really doesn't take much to cut back on driving, adjust the thermostat lower in the winter, higher in the summer (then wear sweaters/ shorts and tank tops), stop buying cheap crap and practice some delayed gratification buy saving and buying quality, durable goods, and eat less meat.  Easy peasy as my wife would say.   If we do all that, then maybe those who follow us won't have to live like it's 1850.  If we don't try at least a little harder to cut back on our consumption, we have no business talking here about climate change.  None, nada, zip.