The all-purpose heavy duty Climate Chaos thread (sprinkled with hope).

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

:lol:
    Oh, if only it were so easy!

Some friends of ours recently got an electric car, a Hyundai Kona.  I was a bit shocked when they said it cast a little over $42,000.  Whoa!  It does have some extra bells and whistles but still, I wonder how many people are going to be able to afford to change over to electric when are no other choices nay more?

And how much will these electric cars actually help?  Honest question.  I have concerns.  Is all this electricity needed to charge million upon millions of electric cars going to come from clean energy sources?  What about all the mining for rare earths minerals that are used in the batteries?  Will the electric car actually reduce global warming?  I have to ask!

I’ve maintained that electric cars will always be a small percentage of the market…just to expensive.  Banning the sale of ICE vehicles are just a pie in the sky idea dreamed up by activist politicians.  In Canada idiot PM thinks he can ban ICE by 2035…lmfao…more and more people will just invest their money in fixing up and restoring ICE vehicles.

Then there is this little problem of recharging them while on the go…I’ve driven out west through norther Ontario…you can go long stretches between gas stations.  

My father worked 35 years for Ontario hydro…he doubts the grid could handle mass amounts of vehicles needing recharged every night.  

I’m more excited for the hydrogen fuel cell.  And Toyota is focused on that more than electric.  I’d like to see where that goes.

But at the end of the day every single thing we do as humans impact the environment…and until people wake up and realize there are just way too many of us.  Obviously it’s hard to control the population, but our government can be smarter about immigration.

We can’t even figure out how to recycle?  So personally I think we are past the point of no return…

All we can do is prepare, maybe watch Waterworld to get some tips on living on water…hehehe.

This all makes sense to me (and thanks for the info). 

There are something like 275 million cars in the U.S. alone.  Imagine the power grid trying to handle all that!  And where does all that power come from?  Cover the deserts with solar panels... which are mostly plastic, which is oil... and they only last about, what?, 15 years?

Car crazy America, is how one author puts it.  There's just no way it's gonna happen.  Even hydrogen fuel cell cars.  275 million cars in the U.S.  Add another 25 million cars in Canada and 50 million in Mexico.  Now were up to 350 million cars in North America alone, and those figure are from 2019 so probably closer to 375 or 400 million vehicles.  And what about all those private and commercial planes and motor boats and jet skies and lawn mowers and holy fuck knows what else uses gas and/ or electricty.  Where does all the stuff come from to make these things?  All the metal and plastic?  All the heavy metals and rare earths for computers and batteries?  Mines where all the trees have been stripped! 

Car crazy world is... well... crazy!

Too many people?  Yep!  Bingo again, man, you got it.  When will we start talking about that?  No one seems to want to talk about that!

Oh, and Waterword.  That movie got panned but I liked it!
    My lawnmower and weed whacker are rechargeable.  My dad has the identical weed whacker and had to replace the battery...the battery was 200. a new weed whacker, rechargeable was 220...so he just went with a new weed whacker.  So, I'm not convinced that these electric items that we replace our gas products with are all that much better for the environment.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,944
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Some friends of ours recently got an electric car, a Hyundai Kona.  I was a bit shocked when they said it cast a little over $42,000.  Whoa!  It does have some extra bells and whistles but still, I wonder how many people are going to be able to afford to change over to electric when are no other choices nay more?

And how much will these electric cars actually help?  Honest question.  I have concerns.  Is all this electricity needed to charge million upon millions of electric cars going to come from clean energy sources?  What about all the mining for rare earths minerals that are used in the batteries?  Will the electric car actually reduce global warming?  I have to ask!

I’ve maintained that electric cars will always be a small percentage of the market…just to expensive.  Banning the sale of ICE vehicles are just a pie in the sky idea dreamed up by activist politicians.  In Canada idiot PM thinks he can ban ICE by 2035…lmfao…more and more people will just invest their money in fixing up and restoring ICE vehicles.

Then there is this little problem of recharging them while on the go…I’ve driven out west through norther Ontario…you can go long stretches between gas stations.  

My father worked 35 years for Ontario hydro…he doubts the grid could handle mass amounts of vehicles needing recharged every night.  

I’m more excited for the hydrogen fuel cell.  And Toyota is focused on that more than electric.  I’d like to see where that goes.

But at the end of the day every single thing we do as humans impact the environment…and until people wake up and realize there are just way too many of us.  Obviously it’s hard to control the population, but our government can be smarter about immigration.

We can’t even figure out how to recycle?  So personally I think we are past the point of no return…

All we can do is prepare, maybe watch Waterworld to get some tips on living on water…hehehe.

There are something like 275 million cars in the U.S. alone.  Imagine the power grid trying to handle all that!  And where does all that power come from?  Cover the deserts with solar panels... which are mostly plastic, which is oil... and they only last about, what?, 15 years?

Car crazy America, is how one author puts it.  There's just no way it's gonna happen.  Even hydrogen fuel cell cars.  275 million cars in the U.S.  Add another 25 million cars in Canada and 50 million in Mexico.  Now were up to 350 million cars in North America alone, and those figure are from 2019 so probably closer to 375 or 400 million vehicles.  And what about all those private and commercial planes and motor boats and jet skies and lawn mowers and holy fuck knows what else uses gas and/ or electricty.  Where does all the stuff come from to make these things?  All the metal and plastic?  All the heavy metals and rare earths for computers and batteries?  Mines where all the trees have been stripped! 

Too many people?  Yep!  Bingo again, man, you got it.  When will we start talking about that?  No one seems to want to talk about that!

My lawnmower and weed whacker are rechargeable.  My dad has the identical weed whacker and had to replace the battery...the battery was 200. a new weed whacker, rechargeable was 220...so he just went with a new weed whacker.  So, I'm not convinced that these electric items that we replace our gas products with are all that much better for the environment.

I use the same manufacturer for my weed whacker, hedge trimmer, and electric chainsaw.   They all use the same type of battery.  Even when I lost one, it was pretty easy to buy knock off rechargables for cheap.   Seamed better then throwing the devices away.   Sometimes you just have to try harder.

Lithium though (and many other manufacturing).   We're basically trading air pollution for land pollution.  I guess if it's air pollution that's causing the immediate thread then that's something, but at some point we also turn our planet into a garbage dump?  Just because it doesn't go into the air doesn't mean it doesn't pollute :(
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Zod said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I use the same manufacturer for my weed whacker, hedge trimmer, and electric chainsaw.   They all use the same type of battery.  Even when I lost one, it was pretty easy to buy knock off rechargables for cheap.   Seamed better then throwing the devices away.   Sometimes you just have to try harder.

Lithium though (and many other manufacturing).   We're basically trading air pollution for land pollution.  I guess if it's air pollution that's causing the immediate thread then that's something, but at some point we also turn our planet into a garbage dump?  Just because it doesn't go into the air doesn't mean it doesn't pollute :(
    I would be real careful w charging those knock off batteries.  For an RC car you buy a fireproof bag just in case one of them decides to start a fire.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Zod said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Ryobi?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Ottawa says it must maximize revenue from the Trans Mountain pipeline to fight climate change

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wilkinson-climate-report-1.6135502

LMFAO.  These nimrods are spending 13 billion on pipeline to transport oil…Alberta tar sand oil.  Government logic.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593

Ottawa says it must maximize revenue from the Trans Mountain pipeline to fight climate change

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wilkinson-climate-report-1.6135502

LMFAO.  These nimrods are spending 13 billion on pipeline to transport oil…Alberta tar sand oil.  Government logic.
    "Government logic" is some times, and in specific cases justifiably, also called "oxymoron".

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,418
    you're kidding. silent?

https://news.yahoo.com/republicans-largely-silent-on-code-red-climate-change-report-183009586.html

Monday's release of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's latest grim assessment of the trajectory of global warming has been met by a chorus of sile...

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    you're kidding. silent?

https://news.yahoo.com/republicans-largely-silent-on-code-red-climate-change-report-183009586.html

Monday's release of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's latest grim assessment of the trajectory of global warming has been met by a chorus of sile...

They surely are either deluded, in some form of extreme denial, fanatically religious ("It is God's will"), sick enough to want the planet to become uninhabitable, or foolishly selfish to the point of still believing things will be "OK" in their life time and they will be gone before the worst hits.  Only the worst has already begun and is accelerating. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

The BBC news has been on the Climate change warnings for a few days now.  They are saying 1.5 to 3' rise in sea level.  Possibly 6 feet if we don't correct course.

The wild fires aren't helping much either.

You would think with the more water entering the oceans that we would have wetter weather but just the opposite in the west coast.
    The BBC news has been on the Climate change warnings for a few days now.  They are saying 1.5 to 3' rise in sea level.  Possibly 6 feet if we don't correct course.

You would think with the more water entering the oceans that we would have wetter weather but just the opposite in the west coast.
    climate change just means more extremes, not necessarily one event over another. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I have honestly started considering talking to my daughters about not having kids. I don't want them to have to know/see the horrors that will surely ravage our planet WHEN our elected leaders do nothing about this. I just couldn't bear the thought of them seeing the effects all of this will have on their kids, if they even escape it themselves. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

climate change just means more extremes, not necessarily one event over another. 
    I think the west coast would welcome a bit of severe rain every now and again is what I am getting at.

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited August 2021
    I’m almost to a “buckle up buttercup” mentality on climate change.  Unless some miracles happen or alien technology is discovered/implemented, nothing much is going to change the course.  I think we’ve probably had technology for a while that “could have” changed things, but we are in the “too little too late” season now…People might want to seriously consider moving away from the coasts.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
    PJPOWER said:
    I’m almost to a “buckle up buttercup” mentality on climate change.  Unless some miracles happen or alien technology is discovered/implemented, nothing much is going to change the course.  I think we’ve probably had technology for a while that “could have” changed things, but we are in the “too little too late” season now…People might want to seriously consider moving away from the coasts.
    In my town they built a berm around the beach for higher tides and surges.  They also raised all the houses too.  Well, most of them.
    I have honestly started considering talking to my daughters about not having kids. I don't want them to have to know/see the horrors that will surely ravage our planet WHEN our elected leaders do nothing about this. I just couldn't bear the thought of them seeing the effects all of this will have on their kids, if they even escape it themselves. 

Being the good father you are, I have no doubt you will say the right things to them if you decide to bring this up, and if they do have kids, you will be supportive.  I don't envy your task of wording such a conversation.  I know that would be difficult, but that you are considering doing it I think says wonderful things about who you are.  Good job, dad!

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,390
    Sometimes this shit is too weird for me…..I had this talk with my sons (told you we think alike)
    I tried to make it clear that it wasn’t because I didn’t love having them because we love kids, would have had 12 if we could afford it, but that sometimes it’s just not worth the heartache.  If you have the talk I’m sure your girls will be open and talk to you, boys don’t say much of anything, they just pick wives who are the exact opposite of their mothers and that answers a lot of questions.  
    PJPOWER said:
    We are not reversing climate change…lol.  Only arrogant people think they can undo the damage that neatly 8 billion people cause on a daily basis.  Might as well enjoy the ride.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJPOWER said:
    We are not reversing climate change…lol.  Only arrogant people think they can undo the damage that neatly 8 billion people cause on a daily basis.  Might as well enjoy the ride.
    Two words.  Ozone Layer.
    PJPOWER said:
    Two words.  Ozone Layer.

Even though some reversal of the depletion of the ozone layer has begun, it is a problem, for sure.
    But maybe we need four words:
    ozone layer
    carbon dioxide

edited August 2021
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Two words.  Ozone Layer.

Even though some reversal of the depletion of the ozone layer has begun, it is a problem, for sure.
    ozone layer
    carbon dioxid

I do think we can change things.
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Two words.  Ozone Layer.

ozone layer
    carbon dioxid

of course we CAN. but we won't. we have leaders that fall into two groups:

1) those that outwardly state they don't give a fuck (usually conservatives)
    2) those that claim they give a fuck, commit to doing something about it, but either don't follow through or just completely lied through their teeth in order to get elected (typically liberals)

show me ONE leader of global influence who has done anything significant to fighting climate change. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Two words.  Ozone Layer.

ozone layer
    carbon dioxid

Ah, I see!  Yes!
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Two words.  Ozone Layer.

ozone layer
    carbon dioxid

2) those that claim they give a fuck, commit to doing something about it, but either don't follow through or just completely lied through their teeth in order to get elected (typically liberals)

show me ONE leader of global influence who has done anything significant to fighting climate change. 
    Other than we the people putting the pressure on them, I don't think we can depend on politicians to make this happen. 
    Right now, the people making the biggest difference aren't coming out of politics, they're coming out of organizations like Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) and The Union of Concerned Scientists.

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Two words.  Ozone Layer.

ozone layer
    carbon dioxid

Ah, I see!  Yes!
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Two words.  Ozone Layer.

ozone layer
    carbon dioxid

Other than we the people putting the pressure on them, I don't think we can depend on politicians to make this happen. 
    Right now, the people making the biggest difference aren't coming out of politics, they're coming out of organizations like Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) and The Union of Concerned Scientists.
    They have us all by the balls though. we elect them based on these promises, but we aren't going to vote them out on that one issue; if the economy is strong and there's been no major scandals, etc, people are wary of voting out someone like that. it's too risky for their personal bottom line. 

it's great that we have private orgs doing this work, but without government regulation/action, it will unfortunately all be moot. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Two words.  Ozone Layer.

ozone layer
    carbon dioxid

Ah, I see!  Yes!
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Two words.  Ozone Layer.

ozone layer
    carbon dioxid

They have us all by the balls though. we elect them based on these promises, but we aren't going to vote them out on that one issue; if the economy is strong and there's been no major scandals, etc, people are wary of voting out someone like that. it's too risky for their personal bottom line. 

it's great that we have private orgs doing this work, but without government regulation/action, it will unfortunately all be moot. 

Lack of strong government support on environment is certainly a major barrier to improving the situation.  Personal responsibility and action (or lack thereof) is huge as well.  We can do more of the latter than the former, of course, but until we stop looking at the short-term gratification off spending power (the economy) and start focusing more on the long term inevitable effects of climate change and environmental degradation, and vote based on those priorities, we will continue to elect politicians weak on environment.

In other words, as per status quo right now, we're screwing up!

As per the above last few posts, at what point do we say, "Enough! , from now on I'm voting for the strong environmental candidates?  (In other words, Green Party or similar candidates.)

I know, a lot of people are going to say, "But why do that?  Why throw your vote away on a candidate that is going to lose anyway?"  
    Perhaps the response to that could be, "Yes, true, as long as people keep voting for candidates that are not truly committed to improving environment, Green Party candidates and the like will lose and so will the environment, and so will we.  You get what you vote for."

And then the day will come when more and more people are dying due to extreme weather events, and when suburbs become unsustainable, and more and more parts of the oceans experience ecological collapse, and when food becomes more and more scarce, and when clean water becomes more difficult to obtain.  How far off is all that?  And will we wait until all that happens and then say, "Ah fuck!  Why didn't we vote in candidates that are strong on environmental protection?"

What are we waiting for?

brianlux said:
    As per the above last few posts, at what point do we say, "Enough! , from now on I'm voting for the strong environmental candidates?  (In other words, Green Party or similar candidates.)

I know, a lot of people are going to say, "But why do that?  Why throw your vote away on a candidate that is going to lose anyway?"  
    Perhaps the response to that could be, "Yes, true, as long as people keep voting for candidates that are not truly committed to improving environment, Green Party candidates and the like will lose and so will the environment, and so will we.  You get what you vote for."

And then the day will come when more and more people are dying due to extreme weather events, and when suburbs become unsustainable, and more and more parts of the oceans experience ecological collapse, and when food becomes more and more scarce, and when clean water becomes more difficult to obtain.  How far off is all that?  And will we wait until all that happens and then say, "Ah fuck!  Why didn't we vote in candidates that are strong on environmental protection?"

What are we waiting for?
    you know what Brian? you're right. I'll check out the platform of my green party and see what my options are for the upcoming federal election. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD