Options

Michelle Obama - "Divorced Dad" comment

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,111
    tbergs said:
    Well I guess I shoulda expected this point of view here. Carry on.
    What does that mean? Did you want people to all agree on the meaning of the statement or are you now dismissing an opposing view as a biased irrational hypocrisy? I personally found nothing wrong with her statement. I think you're pushing for something that isn't there. I mean, she could have just said Trump is a pile of shit, but that would have really got people worked up. I think she used an appropriate analogy and I still don't think it was meant to be humorous, but that's how it's being portrayed now as some ill informed apologists try to dismiss it as such even though it's a serious depiction.
     What it means is I expected some discussion about it not... “bababababababut trump!”
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,611
    That round room some are wandering around in looking for a corner to piss in? That’s the echo chamber. 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    That round room some are wandering around in looking for a corner to piss in? That’s the echo chamber. 
    Yup, bunch of retards in the echo chamber. I agree. Oh wait....can’t say retards. Bunch of divorced dads. Yup that’s better 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    mcgruff10 said:
    So just to be clear.....

For some on here, and for a lot of people in this country,  it is okay for the currently elected president to insult and make fun of just about anyone he can think of. To be an anti-constitution racist xenophobe.

But Michelle Obama makes an attempt at a humorous analogy and people's  panties get knotted up?

What does one have to do with another?  It is a separate issue. 
    See, what he's doing is drawing an astute comparison which points out the utter hypocrisy of this thread. 
    What hypocrisy? Just because trump says stupid shit means nobody is allowed to be offended by anything else? Especially when it is a Democrat? (Fyi, I voted twice for her husband)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    tbergs said:
    What does that mean? Did you want people to all agree on the meaning of the statement or are you now dismissing an opposing view as a biased irrational hypocrisy? I personally found nothing wrong with her statement. I think you're pushing for something that isn't there. I mean, she could have just said Trump is a pile of shit, but that would have really got people worked up. I think she used an appropriate analogy and I still don't think it was meant to be humorous, but that's how it's being portrayed now as some ill informed apologists try to dismiss it as such even though it's a serious depiction.
     What it means is I expected some discussion about it not... “bababababababut trump!”
    Well you gotten discussion from a few of us...maybe just focus on those and ignore the noise.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    So just to be clear.....

For some on here, and for a lot of people in this country,  it is okay for the currently elected president to insult and make fun of just about anyone he can think of. To be an anti-constitution racist xenophobe.

But Michelle Obama makes an attempt at a humorous analogy and people's  panties get knotted up?

See, what he's doing is drawing an astute comparison which points out the utter hypocrisy of this thread. 
    What hypocrisy? Just because trump says stupid shit means nobody is allowed to be offended by anything else? Especially when it is a Democrat? (Fyi, I voted twice for her husband)
    What was stupid about what she said?
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    Well you gotten discussion from a few of us...maybe just focus on those and ignore the noise.
    That would be healthier. Good suggestion, but I’m not very good at it.

ok - so you didn’t see anything wrong with it.  I do, not a big deal cause I know her intentions are true. She is just so polished and calculated that this seemed way out of place for her. I don’t like the fact that it’s ok to make fun of divorced dads as if they are all deadbeats. Personally I think she used “divorced” when she meant “deadbeat”.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,611
    Yup, bunch of retards in the echo chamber. I agree. Oh wait....can’t say retards. Bunch of divorced dads. Yup that’s better 
    You have a problem with numbers or counting? Or both?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    So just to be clear.....

IMO, How she portrayed divorced dads. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    The sweet irony oozing throughout this thread is just delicious.
    i gotta say, juggler, i don't see any irony at all. i don't see trump supporters coming in here and flaming some type of faux outrage. i see a poster who, as far as i know, is usually fairly bi-partisan, looking for a non-dramatic discussion, and for some reason you are using my2hands' playbook and shouting that everyone is freaking out when literally no one is. this is the type of stuff that the right freaks out at all the time; the hypocrisy of the left. the left, especially some people here, constantly throw around the "whataboutism" nonsense, and that's all i see here. this can't be discussed without bringing up how horrible trump is for some reason. yes, the comment was about him. but it wasn't referencing the way he talks about people using stereotypes, which is what michelle did. 

i respect michelle a great deal, which is why this comment surprises me. it doesn't surprise me because of who is in the white house, it surprises me because of how said it. 

now, say it with me: no one in this thread is outraged about this. cincy stated it several times that he's not upset about it, just a discussion. 

we need to try to look at things from an objective lens, not the lens of always comparing everything to something trump did. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I don't appreciate your continued joke with "retard". The reference to divorced dad isn't even in the same fucking ballpark (spoken in my best Samuel L. Jackson voice).
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    That would be healthier. Good suggestion, but I’m not very good at it.

ok - so you didn’t see anything wrong with it.  I do, not a big deal cause I know her intentions are true. She is just so polished and calculated that this seemed way out of place for her. I don’t like the fact that it’s ok to make fun of divorced dads as if they are all deadbeats. Personally I think she used “divorced” when she meant “deadbeat”.  
    dad. singular. speaking of a specific type. not a blanket statement of all formerly married fathers.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    So just to be clear.....

no one's panties are knotted up. just a discussion. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tbergs said:
    I don't appreciate your continued joke with "retard". The reference to divorced dad isn't even in the same fucking ballpark (spoken in my best Samuel L. Jackson voice).
    Wow ok, must be that time of the month...see these are awesome. We can all do it!

Fair enough though, trying to make a point but perhaps too far. I will cease.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    So just to be clear.....

she spkoe to a specific type. one that exists far to often.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    So just to be clear.....

Ok, if one were to interpret it that way, then I get it. I just don't interpret it the same. Fair enough. I'll keeping enjoying my red vino and pasta and reading along here.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    tbergs said:
    Wow ok, must be that time of the month...see these are awesome. We can all do it!

Fair enough though, trying to make a point but perhaps too far. I will cease.
    Now ya just gonna go and piss off the women folk with statements like that ;) Time to tell my boy to fetch me another beer...
    Post edited by tbergs on
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    So just to be clear.....

Ok, if one were to interpret it that way, then I get it. I just don't interpret it the same. Fair enough. I'll keeping enjoying my red vino and pasta and reading along here.
    Pasta and red wine is the best.  Enjoy. 
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    I responded to you seriously and with regard to what was in the article and gave what my interpretation of it was. That is what I consider debating an issue. 

You choose to ignore when people give serious statements. There is no way that real debate can occur when you don't respond to people who are actually referencing the article and respecting their point of view as they are respecting yours. 

If you only respond to the threads that are not substantive than I can't give credence to you really wanting to discuss the article. 

It would be really really nice to have an honest respectful debate between two people who have differing opinions. That is how we learn. 

But I haven't seen you actually engage with anyone who is trying to have a discussion with you. Disagreement doesn't mean you are being attacked, but when you only respond with terse comments then it goes off the rails. 

I have tried several times to discuss this and you ignore me so please don't say that the left is being faux outraged over something. People have actually attempted to connect with you. It is your choice to ignore substantive debate and that is sorely lacking in this nation that needs healing. 
  • Options
    Honestly Nancy your first post was “trump is worse”. Your second defended that post. After that and all the other posts coming at me...I may have missed your other ones
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    No, you can. It’s over-sensitive libs that are offended by that.  They, unlike you, are the PC police.

Back to the topic at hand...Michelle Obama is disgusting and I hope this haunts her forever.   Anything short of that coming from all these lefties was going to leave you this salty.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    OnWis97 said:
    No, you can. It’s over-sensitive libs that are offended by that.  They, unlike you, are the PC police.

Back to the topic at hand...Michelle Obama is disgusting and I hope this haunts her forever.   Anything short of that coming from all these lefties was going to leave you this salty.
    Not true. I respect Michelle a lot. Found this to be out of character. 

But nice work making this about the poster poster rather than the statement by a former First Lady.  Par for the course. You’ve earned your AMT badge. 
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Nancy - read some more. You had another post where’s you misquoted me using “they” not reading..., not what I said. I said “they” meaning the author agree with Michelle. And some people clearly didn’t read as they apparently assumed the article was outrage about Michelle. 

Not sure how you want me to respond to that. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Honestly Nancy your first post was “trump is worse”. Your second defended that post. After that and all the other posts coming at me...I may have missed your other ones
    Honestly Cincy, I don't know why I try to offer a chance to have a real conversation. I spend time thinking about a response and you just dismiss me. Sorry you missed everything except what you found to be offensive. I tried. 
  • Options
    remember when trump made that joke to megan kelly about blood coming out of her wherever because she was asking him tough questions? and everyone on the left got all pissy about it? but it was just a joke, about a well established stereotype, so what was all the fuss about then?

it's really strange how the only people "outraged" by anything is the fact that anyone wants to talk about it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    edited April 2019
    OnWis97 said:

Not true. I respect Michelle a lot. Found this to be out of character. 

But nice work making this about the poster poster rather than the statement by a former First Lady.  Par for the course. You’ve earned your AMT badge. 
    There seems to be an expectation of outrage.  And frankly, I just don’t think it warranted any.  Since you don’t like to make it about the poster, I assume you won’t be calling me a hypocrite 
    Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    Honestly Cincy, I don't know why I try to offer a chance to have a real conversation. I spend time thinking about a response and you just dismiss me. Sorry you missed everything except what you found to be offensive. I tried. 
    i went back and read your posts in this thread. as he stated, your first post was referencing trump and how he is worse. your only other post directly responding to cincy was something you misinterpreted, and sometimes people miss posts directed at them. 

i'm not sure where all of this aggression towards cincy is coming from. it's really weird. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    remember when trump made that joke to megan kelly about blood coming out of her wherever because she was asking him tough questions? and everyone on the left got all pissy about it? but it was just a joke, about a well established stereotype, so what was all the fuss about then?

it's really strange how the only people "outraged" by anything is the fact that anyone wants to talk about it. 
    You're comparing Trump making fun of a woman's natural bodily function and Michele criticising a dad who chooses to be a poor role model and parental figure? Again, not even the same fucking ballpark.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

You're comparing Trump making fun of a woman's natural bodily function and Michele criticising a dad who chooses to be a poor role model and parental figure? Again, not even the same fucking ballpark.
    he used a stereotype to label any strong woman with a well thought out opinion as on her period. 

she used a stereotype to label any divorced single dad as an negligent asshole. 

but yeah, of course, it's never "in the same fucking ballpark". it never is. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    njnancy said:
    I was going back and reading your responses. Those were the first 2 I saw. I had already responded.  I posted and was going back to try and find more... my phone is dying though. 
    hippiemom = goodness