Michelle Obama - "Divorced Dad" comment

Comments

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,415
    A - I don't think what she said was all that bad

B - If you do think it's bad I can understand where you are coming from. But point taken move the fuck on. people say some dumb stuff. not everything needs to become a thing for days upon days.  
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    pjhawks said:
    A - I don't think what she said was all that bad

B - If you do think it's bad I can understand where you are coming from. But point taken move the fuck on. people say some dumb stuff. not everything needs to become a thing for days upon days.  
    agree with B. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    Thank god she's not running for president...the dems would probably sabotage her with outrage.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    The sweet irony oozing throughout this thread is just delicious.
    Where is the irony?
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    edited April 2019
    Someone should remind Mrs. O that visiting your divorced father on the weekends beats the hell out of having absolutely no relationship with your father, which is what over 50% of black children have to endure. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    here, fill this out..

So orignial lol.  So are you saying her generalization of divorced dads is accurate?
    stereotypes have a root, no? generally speaking in some kind of truth, no?

by what percentage are there "divorced dads" out there? 

arent those whose honor their responsibility to their children just DAD regardless of marital status?  THOSE men dont require defending as that analogy doesnt apply.

"divorced dads" in the other hand dont deserve defending.
    So “divorced dad” and “dead beat dad” are interchangeable?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,623
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    here, fill this out..

So orignial lol.  So are you saying her generalization of divorced dads is accurate?

arent those whose honor their responsibility to their children just DAD regardless of marital status?  THOSE men dont require defending as that analogy doesnt apply.

can be in many cases.

will need to reread the article with that cherry picked excerpt. not quite sure she said ALL divorced dads.

carry on.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • njnancynjnancy Posts: 5,096
    Maybe Tiffany Trump has a better perspective on this than any of us. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    here, fill this out..

can be in many cases.

will need to reread the article with that cherry picked excerpt. not quite sure she said ALL divorced dads.

carry on.
    You should re read the article because they are 100% ok with the comment. It seems many didn’t read the article. Surprise surprise 
    hippiemom = goodness
    njnancy said:
    divorced dad even said as much about the golden children too. that he didnt change diapers, raise them......
    was all about having his teenage daughter draped all over him in portraits though. you know, the one he would date if she werent his daughter. that was ok with stern calling her a hot piece of ass. and sgreed. you know, father of the year type shit.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,834
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:
    divorced dad even said as much about the golden children too. that he didnt change diapers, raise them......
    was all about having his teenage daughter draped all over him in portraits though. you know, the one he would date if she werent his daughter. that was ok with stern calling her a hot piece of ass. and sgreed. you know, father of the year type shit.
    You're forgetting one....

Interviewer: What are some common interests the two of you share?
    Ivanka: Probably our love of real estate....and golf.
    Donald: Well I was going to say sex...but I guess I can't say that. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
     In an interview in London for her new memoir "Becoming," former First Lady Michelle Obama delivered a stinging assessment of the state of American politics and, specifically, of President Donald Trump. Said Obama:
    "We come from a broken family, we are a little unsettled. Sometimes you spend the weekend with divorced dad. That feels like fun but then you get sick. That is what America is going through. We are living with divorced dad."

broken family = bitterly partisan divide
    divorced dad = noncustodial parent. the one whose house has no rules. the house where love is bought. cake for breakfast. stay up late. nah, no need to do your homework. WE'RE HAVING FUN THIS WEEKEND.

now cue trumps twitter feed.......

mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    here, fill this out..

can be in many cases.

carry on.
    You should re read the article because they are 100% ok with the comment. It seems many didn’t read the article. Surprise surprise 
    Why would you think that 'they' didn't read the article. I wouldn't comment on something unless I read the article that the thread was based on. I just happen to have a completely different opinion of the comment than you do. 

I even read down to where they talked about Trump's negative ratings prior to election on all types of personality and behavioral traits but people who overwhelmingly elected him did so cause they wanted to shake up Washington. 

So the article you posted talked about Trump more than Michelle Obama. I actually wish they had printed the entire speech she gave, but it didn't. It went on to talk about her brief and in jest metaphor being actually statistically accurate about Trump based on the polls. 

Some divorced dads are completely useless, I can attest to that. And there are some divorced dads who are amazing. Same with divorced moms and kids of divorce.  There are married husbands who suck and married husbands who are awesome and the same goes for married women.

Some people are not good at being nurturers and some are. In regards to Trump, he treats some of his children like they don't exist and I really can't see him talking care of a sick child so the idea that we are a sick nation in the hands of a divorced dad who doesn't want to deal with anything like that is appropo. 
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    For the most part, trump's comments are juvenile, mean and NOT Funny
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/16/politics/michelle-obama-donald-trump/index.html

I get her overall point here.  As a dad (not divorced), it kinda sucks that this is the way we look at the Dads.  I don't want to get overly outraged here as she was just trying to use a metaphor, but I would have expected more from her.

I think you are taking the statement the wrong way. I guess she could have said dead beat dads to make it clearer, but to me it comes across as a reference to the negligent uninvolved dads who don't take the role of being a figure of authority and role model seriously and are stuck in the, "I'm a cool dude." It's the equivalent of the parents who think it's ok to buy smokes and beer for their kids.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Our nation is sick, as evidenced by this thread, and Trump is the type of divorced dad who doesn't want to deal with a sick kid, just like he doesn't know or care how to heal a nation in need of help.
    mickeyrat said:
     In an interview in London for her new memoir "Becoming," former First Lady Michelle Obama delivered a stinging assessment of the state of American politics and, specifically, of President Donald Trump. Said Obama:
    "We come from a broken family, we are a little unsettled. Sometimes you spend the weekend with divorced dad. That feels like fun but then you get sick. That is what America is going through. We are living with divorced dad."

broken family = bitterly partisan divide
    divorced dad = noncustodial parent. the one whose house has no rules. the house where love is bought. cake for breakfast. stay up late. nah, no need to do your homework. WE'RE HAVING FUN THIS WEEKEND.

now cue trumps twitter feed.......
    Yeah, this is what I got out of the statement as well.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,405
    njnancy said:
    You can say that for all of his kids except the young one. His ex wives raised all of them. 
    www.myspace.com
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    here, fill this out..

can be in many cases.

carry on.
    seems some here are over looking the singular in dad and inserting the plural.....

carry on though.

njnancy said:
    You can say that for all of his kids except the young one. His ex wives raised all of them. 
    would assert baron is included.......

mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:
    Absolutely...but he's not divorced yet. 
    www.myspace.com
    Well I guess I shoulda expected this point of view here. Carry on.
    hippiemom = goodness
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:
    doesnt mean HE is raising him.....

mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:
    doesnt mean HE is raising him.....
    I'm not sure he knows his name.
    www.myspace.com
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,659
    edited April 2019
    So just to be clear.....

For some on here, and for a lot of people in this country,  it is okay for the currently elected president to insult and make fun of just about anyone he can think of. To be an anti-constitution racist xenophobe.

But Michelle Obama makes an attempt at a humorous analogy and people's  panties get knotted up?

So just to be clear.....

For some on here, and for a lot of people in this country,  it is okay for the currently elected president to insult and make fun of just about anyone he can think of. To be an anti-constitution racist xenophobe.

But Michelle Obama makes an attempt at a humorous analogy and people's  panties get knotted up?

Remember when Fox News freaked out over Obama taking selfies in the Oval Office? Or the time they lost their shit over him wearing a tan suit?  
    www.myspace.com
    So just to be clear.....

Oh for fucks sake this is the same lame excuse I see all the time. It’s a separate issue. Based on your comment, anyone can say anything to anyone ... I mean trump is worse so ...
    hippiemom = goodness
    So just to be clear.....

What does one have to do with another?  It is a separate issue. 
    Well I guess I shoulda expected this point of view here. Carry on.
    What does that mean? Did you want people to all agree on the meaning of the statement or are you now dismissing an opposing view as a biased irrational hypocrisy? I personally found nothing wrong with her statement. I think you're pushing for something that isn't there. I mean, she could have just said Trump is a pile of shit, but that would have really got people worked up. I think she used an appropriate analogy and I still don't think it was meant to be humorous, but that's how it's being portrayed now as some ill informed apologists try to dismiss it as such even though it's a serious depiction.
    mcgruff10 said:
    So just to be clear.....

What does one have to do with another?  It is a separate issue. 
    See, what he's doing is drawing an astute comparison which points out the utter hypocrisy of this thread. 
    www.myspace.com