Options

Michelle Obama - "Divorced Dad" comment

Comments

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    People are upset by her quote? I see him as the abusive dad, so what she said is a softball. 
    Hahahahaha you think I’m upset she called trump something? Nope. But using “divorced dad” instead of deadbeat dad or whatever seems kinda harsh for divorced dads 
    Come to think of it, those two phrases are similar-sounding.  Any chance she meant to say “deadbeat dad?” 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,113
    OnWis97 said:
    People are upset by her quote? I see him as the abusive dad, so what she said is a softball. 
    Hahahahaha you think I’m upset she called trump something? Nope. But using “divorced dad” instead of deadbeat dad or whatever seems kinda harsh for divorced dads 
    Come to think of it, those two phrases are similar-sounding.  Any chance she meant to say “deadbeat dad?” 
    Good question. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    So - I have a serious question. I even stated that this is not something to get all upset about but that it was a very weird metaphor...and I think inappropriate. And I didn’t expect it from Michelle.

so - people here really don’t care at all about this? Saying that divorced dads all don’t care about there kids and just do the fun stuff? You all are ok with keeping that line of thinking going? 

Perhaps it’s fine, but then I’m sure hoping we can feel free to make all the other generalizations too. Please don’t jump all over my opinion like some Jew who saw a penny....wait...is that not ok? 
    The country is about to enter a constitutional crisis and this is what has you upset , man this totally belongs in the outrage thread and please refrain from using the term retard thanks ...
    Ummmm did you even read my first post? 
    Yes I get what you’re saying but I don’t think it deserves any attention at this point in time , she tried to make a metaphor about what this country is going through and she failed ..
    Yeah not a huge deal, just seemed out of character for her. 

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,892
    So - I have a serious question. I even stated that this is not something to get all upset about but that it was a very weird metaphor...and I think inappropriate. And I didn’t expect it from Michelle.

so - people here really don’t care at all about this? Saying that divorced dads all don’t care about there kids and just do the fun stuff? You all are ok with keeping that line of thinking going? 

Perhaps it’s fine, but then I’m sure hoping we can feel free to make all the other generalizations too. Please don’t jump all over my opinion like some Jew who saw a penny....wait...is that not ok? 
    The country is about to enter a constitutional crisis and this is what has you upset , man this totally belongs in the outrage thread and please refrain from using the term retard thanks ...
    Ummmm did you even read my first post? 
    Yes I get what you’re saying but I don’t think it deserves any attention at this point in time , she tried to make a metaphor about what this country is going through and she failed ..
    Yeah not a huge deal, just seemed out of character for her. 

Agreed, that was my main point.  Michelle is much better than that.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    The tan suit of threads.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    dignin said:
    The tan suit of threads.

Exactly. We’re better than this. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited April 2019
    So reading through this thread, here is my profound thought:
    I would rather hang out with a divorced dad over the weekend than with a mom on the rag...

carry on
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    Diggin and Juggler are continuing to try and make this thread something it wasn't.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,120
    dignin said:
    The tan suit of threads.

It's ok to point out MOs comment was surprisingly a bit sexist and stereotypes men without getting bent out of shape about it... Considering who occupies the White House these days.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    Honestly Nancy your first post was “trump is worse”. Your second defended that post. After that and all the other posts coming at me...I may have missed your other ones
    Honestly Cincy, I don't know why I try to offer a chance to have a real conversation. I spend time thinking about a response and you just dismiss me. Sorry you missed everything except what you found to be offensive. I tried. 
    i went back and read your posts in this thread. as he stated, your first post was referencing trump and how he is worse. your only other post directly responding to cincy was something you misinterpreted, and sometimes people miss posts directed at them. 

i'm not sure where all of this aggression towards cincy is coming from. it's really weird. 
    Thank you for your interpretation of my posts. It is incorrect and I am not being aggressive towards Cincy. I don't understand why you picked the comment that you picked, perhaps because it makes me seem like I'm being mean to Cincy, but you can interpret my words and intentions however you want. If you and Cincy did not find my first posts important that does not mean they were not valid. Disagreeing does not equal aggression. 

I don't enjoy when threads turn into this kind of crap and I don't appreciate you trying to reprimand me. I have no quarrel with you but please don't selectively pick my posts apart or tell me that my opinion was incorrect. 

You are of course entitled to your opinion of whatever and whoever you wish. I don't wish to be mean to anyone on here or be misinterpreted as attacking someone if I disagree. I have been told on numerous occasions that I am too sensitive and take things too personally. That is true sometimes. Today I know that I have not had any mean intentions and my only disappointment is that civil debate is obviously something that no one is interested in. If it were, you would have seen that I tried to discuss the article instead of posting what you did. 

Enjoy your night. 
    The aggression comment was more directed at others. yours just seems overly defensive. 

not sure where you were getting I was "reprimanding" you. I was merely giving my take on your post directed at cincy. if you take that as reprimanding, well, I don't really know how to respond to that. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:
    The tan suit of threads.

I really don't get why we're not allowed to talk about any democrats and their transgressions, no matter how minor, in the trump era. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    If a white Republican man had said the spending time at the white house (if a democrat POTUS) was equivalent as to spending the weekend with your crazy ex-wife the reaction on these boards would much different.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,805
    If a white Republican man had said the spending time at the white house (if a democrat POTUS) was equivalent as to spending the weekend with your crazy ex-wife the reaction on these boards would much different.

what?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dignin said:
    The tan suit of threads.

I really don't get why we're not allowed to talk about any democrats and their transgressions, no matter how minor, in the trump era. 
    Agreed, it is so weird.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    The tan suit of threads.

Agreed, it is so weird.  
    I wonder if the Ted Nugent message boards were like this in the Obama era, if anyone ever wanted to criticize GWB. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mickeyrat said:

what?
    what? what?  these forums are predictable.  You know damn well I'm talking about...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Wow - so just recap

Thread starter - linked article discussing Michelle Obama comparing Trump to a "divorced dad" where she used the worst stereotypes of divorced dads to reference Trump.  Said nothing to be outraged over but I would have expected more from her.

First reply - agreed.  went a bit further ;)
    Second reply - You are really upset about this...references being offended easily, pc culture
    Third Reply - mocking post 
    Fourth Reply - Bad generalization, be better michelle
    Fifth reply - Trump is worse

Then when I tried to answer some that answered me with: why does it always have to be about trump and yeah not outraged but seems weird for her and gave an example of a really bad metaphor

First reply - trump has no filter and can say what he wants
    Second reply - agreeing with my sentiment
    third - this thread is a joke
    Fourth - this is the outrage culture
    Fifth - people who support trump have no leg to stand on ; people getting "so offended" is hypocrisy
    Sixth - another mocking post (same poster)

People continuing to try and make it out that the post was an outrage post and people are losing their minds over what Michelle said when that wasn't the post at all...and I knew some would try to derail it that way so I specifically addressed not being "outraged" in the first post to try and just have a discussion about Michelle's generalization of divorced dad and it being out of character for her.

I have no idea why people bringing up what trump says...I mean if he is the bar to measure people can say anything and it's ok.  I have no idea why people continue to try and make it seem like I was pushing for any outrage over this issue... have we lost all ability to discuss things without making them about trump or without comparing them to trump? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dignin said:
    The tan suit of threads.

Sure you can. Has nothing to do with the Trump era. And I'm not a democrat so I have no problem talking about their transgressions. But this story is just nonsense to me. 

I mean we're talking about an out of context, half kidding, metaphor of a joke that wasn’t even televised so you can't get a feel for the atmosphere surrounding it. Just a weird thing to start a thread about and a weird thing to be reported on in the first place. It's the fake, manufactured outrage stuff you see on Fox and Friends and on the right wing twitter feeds all the time.

I said this before but, to me, Its like being outraged over the movie “Old School’s” depiction of Vince Vaughn’s character and how he treats his kid. Ear muffs! I know he’s not divorced but that’s the first thing I thought of. It’s a funny stereotype people have. It’s not like she’s joking or making disparaging remarks about a group of people who’ve been persecuted and marginalized over the course of history like our president does constantly. 

Ton more important things to be upset about than this nonsense in my opinion...

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    Wow - so just recap

Thread starter - linked article discussing Michelle Obama comparing Trump to a "divorced dad" where she used the worst stereotypes of divorced dads to reference Trump.  Said nothing to be outraged over but I would have expected more from her.

Second reply - You are really upset about this...references being offended easily, pc culture

Then when I tried to answer some that answered me with: why does it always have to be about trump and yeah not outraged but seems weird for her and gave an example of a really bad metaphor

Fifth - people who support trump have no leg to stand on ; people getting "so offended" is hypocrisy

People continuing to try and make it out that the post was an outrage post and people are losing their minds over what Michelle said when that wasn't the post at all...and I knew some would try to derail it that way so I specifically addressed not being "outraged" in the first post to try and just have a discussion about Michelle's generalization of divorced dad and it being out of character for her.

I have no idea why people bringing up what trump says...I mean if he is the bar to measure people can say anything and it's ok.  I have no idea why people continue to try and make it seem like I was pushing for any outrage over this issue... have we lost all ability to discuss things without making them about trump or without comparing them to trump? 
    I think the issue was that her comment in itself was about Trump so that is naturally going to lead people down the path of making this related to him. I'd agree with you that some of the responses you received were just plain trolling or meant to fan the flames. It's hard to ignore them, but if we do threads will "be better". 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    dignin said:
    The tan suit of threads.

Sure you can. Has nothing to do with the Trump era. And I'm not a democrat so I have no problem talking about their transgressions. But this story is just nonsense to me. 

I mean we're talking about an out of context, half kidding, metaphor of a joke that wasn’t even televised so you can't get a feel for the atmosphere surrounding it. Just a weird thing to start a thread about and a weird thing to be reported on in the first place. It's the fake, manufactured outrage stuff you see on Fox and Friends and on the right wing twitter feeds all the time.

I said this before but, to me, Its like being outraged over the movie “Old School’s” depiction of Vince Vaughn’s character and how he treats his kid. Ear muffs! I know he’s not divorced but that’s the first thing I thought of. It’s a funny stereotype people have. It’s not like she’s joking or making disparaging remarks about a group of people who’ve been persecuted and marginalized over the course of history like our president does constantly. 

BUT THE OP ISN'T UPSET ABOUT IT. none of us are. just discussing it, because of the state of PC culture. 10 years ago this wouldn't have made a blip. I see nothing wrong with discussing something without it becoming what this thread became. it was perfectly calm cool and collected (absolutely nothing like the fake outrage machine you speak of) until you and halifax and dignin started telling us not to be outraged by something we're not outraged about. 

if the OP can't start a thread, while stating in his very first post about how not-outraged he is, and it still turns into this garbage, then I don't know where we're at. 

can we not discuss something without it becoming a pissing match about who is outraged more, when literally no one here is?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Wow - so just recap

B) 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:
    The tan suit of threads.

Why comment so many times on a story that is nonsense to you?
  • Options
    dignin said:
    The tan suit of threads.

BUT THE OP ISN'T UPSET ABOUT IT. none of us are. just discussing it, because of the state of PC culture. 10 years ago this wouldn't have made a blip. I see nothing wrong with discussing something without it becoming what this thread became. it was perfectly calm cool and collected (absolutely nothing like the fake outrage machine you speak of) until you and halifax and dignin started telling us not to be outraged by something we're not outraged about. 

if the OP can't start a thread, while stating in his very first post about how not-outraged he is, and it still turns into this garbage, then I don't know where we're at. 

can we not discuss something without it becoming a pissing match about who is outraged more, when literally no one here is?
    Thank you for this.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    dignin said:
    The tan suit of threads.

No he said he didn't want to get "overly outraged." So if you're not getting "overly outraged" I'd assume you're maybe a smidgen outraged? Maybe a wee bit upset? If not, why use that word in the first place?

And then you hop on twitter and turn on Fox and Friends and you see the usual right wing suspects who are all legitimately outraged over the comment. This is how the far right manufactures nonsense like this. You watch, they'll be talking about this months down the road and will casually mention it years from now in a way to disparage her and her husband. This is what they do. All the time. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    dignin said:
    The tan suit of threads.

No he said he didn't want to get "overly outraged." So if you're not getting "overly outraged" I'd assume you're maybe a smidgen outraged? Maybe a wee bit upset? If not, why use that word in the first place?

And then you hop on twitter and turn on Fox and Friends and you see the usual right wing suspects who are all legitimately outraged over the comment. This is how the far right manufactures nonsense like this. You watch, they'll be talking about this months down the road and will casually mention it years from now in a way to disparage her and her husband. This is what they do. All the time. 

So you assumed.  I don't know why I used "overly outraged"...I think likely cause it seems people get overly outraged about everything.  My point was that I am not all that upset by this, just think it was a bad analogy to use and expected more from Michelle.

Your second paragraph seems to me that you let people on Fox news (didn't see it) and twitter (didn't see it there either) opinions color what you thought I thought of it.  I linked the CNN article cause it's where I saw it.  Your friends on Fox and twitter don't think or post for me.

Lots of assuming and lashing out instead of talking about it.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    dignin said:
    The tan suit of threads.

Seriously, at least she didn’t push a crime prevention bill that disproportionately targeted young black males and label them as “super predators” or something crazy insensitive like that.  I mean, come on now!

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Related image
  • Options
    dignin said:
    The tan suit of threads.

when I, myself, use a phrase starting with "don't want to get overly concerned/outraged/consumed" about something, like when I tell my wife "I'm not overly concerned about (this)", it means I'm not concerned at all, just discussing it to get it out in the open. 

And I don't know what twitter or fox news has to do with this. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:
    The tan suit of threads.

So you assumed.  I don't know why I used "overly outraged"...I think likely cause it seems people get overly outraged about everything.  My point was that I am not all that upset by this, just think it was a bad analogy to use and expected more from Michelle.

Your second paragraph seems to me that you let people on Fox news (didn't see it) and twitter (didn't see it there either) opinions color what you thought I thought of it.  I linked the CNN article cause it's where I saw it.  Your friends on Fox and twitter don't think or post for me.

Lots of assuming and lashing out instead of talking about it.  
    Seems like you're assuming why you wrote that word yourself. You don't know why you used it? haha Look man, we're arguing semantics here. You started a thread about it, you used that word, so it obviously upset you one way or another. With that said, I guess how I can see being a little offended if she was serious about that and you had full context of what she said. But it was a joke. One that's been made in tv shows and movies for years and nobody has really had a problem with it until now, for some reason. 

The second paragraph accurately portrays the larger scope of how this non story turns into a far right, never ending, smear campaign. Happens all the time. 

I just think we're better than this. Would be different if there was a video of it or if we had the full transcript to go off of. But from what I've seen, it was just a flippant metaphor/joke about a stereotype that doesn't offend a group of people that have been persecuted throughout history like the Jewish people have (you made a comparison to them earlier--that's why I'm using this example). Movies like Old School have been having fun of dads' parenting skills for decades and no one ever gave a shit.

So this whole thing is pretty ridiculous to me. I am sorry if that offends you or anyone else. God bless. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Yeah, I think she misspoke as well. Should have said deadbeat dad, drunk dad, or abusive dad. Divorced dad, while perhaps a stereotype of a specific dad, is also a more general descriptor encompassing a large percentage of the population which is unfortunate.  I knew what she meant, and I agree with her sentiment (as I suspect Cincy did as well).

Disclaimer: I'm not outraged. I don't care much one way or the other. I think there is a lot of overreaction to Cincy's point. I like Michelle. I'd vote for Michelle for Pres over most of the Dem field and of course over Trump.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08