• Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 826
    NewJPage said:
    vedpunk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    vedpunk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    vedpunk said:
    Heard from reliable sources that the band is currently in the studio working on the new album so everyone just calm down.

Take it or leave it but my source is not the media or any radio station.  It is however a good friend that I trust with my life.  The boys are working on the new album.
    Lol - I will believe it for sure when I see it, but if it is true, I don't appreciate any of the band members fibbing about it. What you're saying literally goes against what both Jeff and Mike have said on the record.
    LOL - Like the band members really tell the truth 100% of the time to the media. I’ve got some snake oil I’d like to sell you while we’re at it. Ha
    It's not just believing words from the mouths of members of the band...it is also recent history (ie: last 5 years). I hope you are right! But even if they are "working" on the album doesn't tell us much. They "worked" on the album 18 months ago too
    Hey, at least they’re working on it....I’ll take anything at this point.
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    NewJPage said:
    vedpunk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    vedpunk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    vedpunk said:
    Heard from reliable sources that the band is currently in the studio working on the new album so everyone just calm down.

Take it or leave it but my source is not the media or any radio station.  It is however a good friend that I trust with my life.  The boys are working on the new album.
    Lol - I will believe it for sure when I see it, but if it is true, I don't appreciate any of the band members fibbing about it. What you're saying literally goes against what both Jeff and Mike have said on the record.
    LOL - Like the band members really tell the truth 100% of the time to the media. I’ve got some snake oil I’d like to sell you while we’re at it. Ha
    It's not just believing words from the mouths of members of the band...it is also recent history (ie: last 5 years). I hope you are right! But even if they are "working" on the album doesn't tell us much. They "worked" on the album 18 months ago too
    Exactly...by all accounts, they started on it a long time ago, and will eventually release it. Until then, the status, by default, will be "they're working on it", regardless of how often they're actually in the studio together.
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,802
    PJ_Soul said:
    vedpunk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    vedpunk said:

It goes against what Jeff and Mike said “ at that moment in time”. This is exactly what happened before LB dropped.  Stone and Mike make comments that the album is only half done and maybe it comes out next year.   6 weeks later........BOOM!!!!!!!!! Countdown clock. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....???? 
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    PJ_Soul said:
    vedpunk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    vedpunk said:

Practically every band has fibbed/lied/fudged about progress of an album.

I don’t appreciate crappy reporting but if they want to surprise fans or keep expectations tempered by lying about it, who really gives a crap?
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    Lightning Bolt's completion was delayed due to Ed's shoulder injury and rescheduled solo tour. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,117
    edited March 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    Guys please explain to me what a legacy band is.  I think I have an idea of the definition but I could definitely be wrong.  (no one really cares about the new music, fans show up to hear the hits and the hits are played at every show)
    This is true.  And if a legacy act is someone who just plays the hits, then 99.99% of all bands ever are legacy acts.  I always considered a legacy act to be someone that retired, stopped making new material many, many years ago (not just 5 1/2), and went back on the road with nothing but their name.  Pearl Jam has a long way to go before it becomes that.
    The band I've seen the most times other than Pearl Jam is Rush.  For the last 2 decades - that is to say, the last half -  of their career (1996-2015), Rush made exactly 4 albums and they were all 5-6 years apart.  In that time, they were all going through the ages Pearl Jam are at now.  Sure, things have slowed down for PJ, but there is no reason to think they're going away any time soon.  People just overreact to everything and have no patience in this world of instant gratification.

Hey very cool you're a Rush fan. It's interesting we have very different views on the comparability on this topic Rush vs. PJ. Although I am going to push back a bit, I do respect your point of view and glad to see the The Holy Triumvirate mentioned here :)

Counting the five "Rush Hiatus Years" when Neil was dealing with the loss of his daughter and wife are not fair. . 

Rush was essentially not a band those five years and clearly communicated this with their fans.

So backing out those five years, Rush released albums and toured immediately before and after their 5 yr hiatus.

Post hiatus, Rush was an "album releasing band" for ten years (2002-2012). During that time, they released 3 albums plus a fourth album of covers to celebrate their 30th anniversary. They toured extensively for all four of these releases, not counting two additional tours during this time.

Rush's slowest period of touring was the first 5 years after their hiatus (2002-06) when they played 123 shows. But they immediately followed that up with 115 shows in the 2 following years . Their last 5 years as a band featured 146 shows as they were entering their early 60s.

It's possible but  I  can not recall a time when Rush did as few as 90 shows over a 5 year period and no album in 6, outside of their  hiatus. Also, Rush was typically very clear with their fans what their future plans were in between albums and tours.

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    DewieCox said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    vedpunk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    vedpunk said:

Practically every band has fibbed/lied/fudged about progress of an album.

I don’t appreciate crappy reporting but if they want to surprise fans or keep expectations tempered by lying about it, who really gives a crap?
    He went into some detail though. Best not to say anything at all, rather than make up elaborate stories about it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,859
    vedpunk said:
    Me too, from one good source. :)
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    demetrios said:
    vedpunk said:
    I like the sound of this. I won’t hold my breath, but hoping it’s true! 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    vedpunk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    vedpunk said:

100% believe it... honestly, it seems obvious with their comments lately that they are doing the classic rope-a-dope
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    my2hands said:
    vedpunk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    vedpunk said:

100% believe it... honestly, it seems obvious with their comments lately that they are doing the classic rope-a-dope
    Recent comments said essentially nothing is happening and don't know when it will. Even if they are now "working on it" I'm not expecting anything this year
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    demetrios said:
    vedpunk said:

Hope those sources are right but current public comments state the opposite is true

Perhaps there is perception some fans  aren't "calm" because there was a formal album announcement, followers by crickets, followed by zero apology for providing false information, followed by six years of no album...

Which is fine, had there been a decent line of communication.

It'd be cool if this band treated its fans as a serious partner in the mechanisms that enabled them to deserve Superstar status and enjoy lives where the band is prioritized 3 out of 36 months
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,064
    The band is not done. I’m happy they don’t pull the stupid break up make up bullshit other bands pull. They just work on their own terms. Which is fine with me. Of course I wish they would do more touring and put more new music out but at this point in their lives I’m happy they are still a band. And they all clearly still are huge music lovers with them all being involved in other projects. I fully believe we will get a new album in the near future and it will be great!  
  • Options
    The band is not done. I’m happy they don’t pull the stupid break up make up bullshit other bands pull. They just work on their own terms. Which is fine with me. Of course I wish they would do more touring and put more new music out but at this point in their lives I’m happy they are still a band. And they all clearly still are huge music lovers with them all being involved in other projects. I fully believe we will get a new album in the near future and it will be great!  

I agree they are not done, it's been kinda slow the last few years and 2019 being an off year from touring is a tough pill to swallow after the band raised expectations for a forthcoming album last March.

I'm hoping for an album out in the first half of 2020, perhaps 30 shows in support and then 2021 can serve double duty for another 30 shows for album support and PJ30 celebrating Ten  and everything after.

How is that for optimism?
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939
    edited March 2019
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,859
  • Options
    hadfiiwhadfiiw Posts: 191
    The band I've seen the most times other than Pearl Jam is Rush.  For the last 2 decades - that is to say, the last half -  of their career (1996-2015), Rush made exactly 4 albums and they were all 5-6 years apart.  In that time, they were all going through the ages Pearl Jam are at now.  Sure, things have slowed down for PJ, but there is no reason to think they're going away any time soon.  People just overreact to everything and have no patience in this world of instant gratification.

Totally agree.  Two best bands on the planet (for me) are Pearl Jam and Rush and I think you have hit the nail on the head.
    - ian | www.lukin.com

96 - Charlotte / Charleston
    98 - Atlanta
    00 - Charlotte / Greensboro / Atlanta
    03 - Raleigh / Charlotte / Mountain View / San Diego / Bristow
    04 - Asheville
    05 - Philadelphia
    06 - Washington, DC / Las Vegas / San Diego
    08 - Virginia Beach / Washington DC
    09 - Philadelphia (28th)
    11 - East Troy (3rd) / East Troy (4th)
    13 - Charlottesville / Charlotte
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Boston (5th)
    18 - Boston (2nd) / Boston (4th)
    20 - NashvilleBaltimore
    22 - Nashville / Baltimore

• Options
    hadfiiw said:

Totally agree.  Two best bands on the planet (for me) are Pearl Jam and Rush and I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Cmon man, please read my reply above. Great that you love Rush and PJ!

tl;dr:

Excluding Rush's 5 year hiatus when Neil was grieving the loss of immediate family, Rush never encountered an extended  five year period of fewer than 120 shows and zero albums. Rush always demonstrated excellent communication with their fans. 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    There it is
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,950
    Now can we let this thread drop?

• Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,939

I hope so...Let’s drop the leash!! 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options

I hope so...Let’s drop the leash!! 

No, it's April first. Good time to wait for an incredible prank!
  • Options

"A huge tour last year that they are all recovering from."

Huh? What was this 'huge' tour?

And I'm glad they're writing music. I might have to hang in there with my membership.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Handful of shows in South America, a bunch in Europe, another handful of shows in huge stadiums all across the US.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    edited April 2019
    Handful of shows in South America, a bunch in Europe, another handful of shows in huge stadiums all across the US.
    It is all relative I guess.   If you played 20 games of pick up basketball would you be talking about recovering from it 7 months later?  

The guy clearly has so much free time he can stand in the water holding a guitar for an art project.  Don’t pretend their level of touring is exhausting.  

Normal people work 60 hours a week every week, so a month traveling Europe with everything planned for you to the point someone brings your passport for you is not as much of a chore.  Most of us would call it a vacation.  
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    It is all relative I guess.   If you played 20 games of pick up basketball would you be talking about recovering from it 7 months later?  
    If I was in my mid-50's, traveled across the entire world to play them, had a family I missed when I got back, and was involved in many other endeavors which also requires more travel and public appearances... probably.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    edited April 2019
    If I was in my mid-50's, traveled across the entire world to play them, had a family I missed when I got back, and was involved in many other endeavors which also requires more travel and public appearances... probably.
    Ha.  You are at the complete opposite spectrum from the "it's over" crowd.  Just as completely wrong.  A lot of people take 2 week trips to Europe where every day is stacked with activities.  They don't take all their family members with them.  But they don't come back with millions of more dollars in the bank. 
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760
    They had a bunch of songs done when CDM came out. What has been done since then is what I want to know. 
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359

The guy clearly has so much free time he can stand in the water holding a guitar for an art project.  Don’t pretend their level of touring is exhausting.  

Normal people work 60 hours a week every week, so a month traveling Europe with everything planned for you to the point someone brings your passport for you is not as much of a chore.  Most of us would call it a vacation.  
    So. Much. Economic. Anxiety.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301
    They travel as posh as imaginable and their families are with them the entire time
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16