Options

Are we done?

Comments

• Options
    moemoe6434moemoe6434 Posts: 455
    The moment you charge for a fan club, I’d say you owe something. What that something is, I don’t know.

If the 10CL were to shut down, I would agree they owe us nothing.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited April 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    I don’t think they owe us anything.  I knew they had slowed down about ten years ago.  My “trigger” on this board is when people think their tour schedule is exhausting.  My last day off of work was in 2018 so forgive me if I don’t think six weeks of touring in the last two years is exhausting.   Might be exhausting for them because they are probably used to a more relaxed schedule outside of touring.  That is their reality.   Many people have to work multiple jobs to pay the bills.  
    I agree 1000000% with this.  Getting exhausted from working 3 hours a day for 25 days (at the most) is comical.  
    They work a lot more than 3 hours a day while touring. Just performing on stage isn't all they do. I do, however, question Mike's use of the term "huge tour". There hasn't been one of those for a very long time.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I don’t think they owe us anything.  I knew they had slowed down about ten years ago.  My “trigger” on this board is when people think their tour schedule is exhausting.  My last day off of work was in 2018 so forgive me if I don’t think six weeks of touring in the last two years is exhausting.   Might be exhausting for them because they are probably used to a more relaxed schedule outside of touring.  That is their reality.   Many people have to work multiple jobs to pay the bills.  
    I agree 1000000% with this.  Getting exhausted from working 3 hours a day for 25 days (at the most) is comical.  
    They work a lot more than 3 hours a day while touring. Just performing on stage isn't all they do. I do, however, question Mike's use of the term "huge tour". There hasn't been one of those for a very long time.
    Seriously what else do they do?  Make a set list?
    They don't set up any of the stage, christ they don't even tune their own instruments.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    edited April 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I doubt they work much more than that except on days they do a full band soundcheck. What do you think they do they would take up more time? They don’t do meet and greets, they hardly do interviews.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Yeah, they aren't overworked. That's just an excuse made by sycophants here. And they actually do owe us. They owe us 2 annual singles that either they or the 10c have been dragging their feet on for years (and 2 Deep magazines, but who cares?). 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Seriously what else do they do?  Make a set list?
    They don't set up any of the stage, christ they don't even tune their own instruments.  
    They are actually involved in the business of the band. They do actually do publicity things, work with the management and make decisions impacting the band regularly, and I'm pretty sure they also practice. And then Mike has the record label and all the other shit he's always doing, same with Jeff, Mike seems to have shit going on with other artists too (well, had a lot more when Soundgarden existed). I have no idea what Stone is up to, lol. And I'm sure they've got some wheels to grease while on tour too - they're a band with connections and relative freedoms; that isn't maintained by them doing absolutely nothing. And then there is the whole charity side of things. I don't think they just push everything else to the side completely when they tour - that doesn't seem logistically possible. I'm not saying they slave away working their asses off all the time, nor that they are justified in acting like they have super "exhausting" schedules in general, but yes, they have way more going on than just getting up on stage during a tour, and do a lot more than nothing when they aren't touring or recording. 
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    They’re absolutely not involved in the business of the band, and even if they are what business is there?

Practice? LOL!!! Must be why they’re such a well oiled machine to start tours.

Id say they do push everything aside and that’s why the touring is limited, as they have other interests.
  • Options
    DewieCox said:
    They’re absolutely not involved in the business of the band, and even if they are what business is there?

Id say they do push everything aside and that’s why the touring is limited, as they have other interests.
    But they are involved in the business of the band. They have said so themselves many times....
    I dunno, I think it's strange that some of you think the ONLY thing they do on tour is enjoy themselves and then get on the stage for the show.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    The moment you charge for a fan club, I’d say you owe something. What that something is, I don’t know.

Well yeah, the fan club owes us our paid dues. I don't think anyone disagrees there, not even me.  But Pearl Jam themselves do not owe us an album, an explanation for the long wait since the last one, nor do they need to live up to anyone's interpretation or expectation of what or how long recovering from a tour takes, and they certainly don't owe anything to anyone questioning their work ethic.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Man this thread is a hoot. The band and the fan club has never been very communicative with details of what they are working on, whether its tour plans or recording. Why would anyone expect that to change?  They are not the Kardashians and actually care about privacy.  
    I paid for a vinyl record and that they promised to send me and then did not - they owe me an explanation.
    They said a record was forthcoming and its not ready yet - they owe me an explanation.
    I need to make plans for vacation - they need to let me know what they are planning.
    I need to know what the band is doing - pearl jam is important to me.
    I sent the ten club an email asking for information -why aren't they replying to me?
    See a common thread there?  Me. Me. Me. Me. Me.
    I agree they bungled the fan club single and it would be nice to get some information for those that paid for it. I agree not getting any vinyl sucks.  But if you have followed this band for any length of time, you need to have a little faith. They have always taken care of their fans.
    Otherwise this is Pearl Jam as per usual, quietly moving at their own pace until they are ready. Its just taking longer this time around.
    Signed, big, bold and free.
  • Options
    BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 276
    I'll always love Pearl Jam. But I hardly listen to them anymore. There are other bands who are working hard and creating good music who deserve my attention. Pearl Jam are basically retired as an entity and good for them. But as they were once part of my daily life, they're now basically an afterthought. Fortunately for me, I have the forum bookmarked which keeps me checking it every weeks in case they come back to life.
  • Options
    They're not. fucking. retired. Jesus Christ.
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    😂 honestly, it really is time to close this thread! 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    DewieCox said:

But they are involved in the business of the band. They have said so themselves many times....
    I dunno, I think it's strange that some of you think the ONLY thing they do on tour is enjoy themselves and then get on the stage for the show.
    Seriously, what else do they do on tour? Make a set list, sound check, play, throw tambourines.   Anything else?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    DewieCox said:

Seriously, what else do they do on tour? Make a set list, sound check, play, throw tambourines.   Anything else?
    Laugh their asses off while we all wait in 3-4 hour lines for posters and stickers. :lol:
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    DewieCox said:

Laugh their asses off while we all wait in 3-4 hour lines for posters and stickers. :lol:
    This would be very true!! I will never wait in a merch line again. 
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    Maybe they don't like traveling?  I know most people here (me included) would think going to Europe for a month would be a hoot, but maybe after they've done it several times over the past 25 years, they are bored of it?  So maybe being on the road and being away from family or home is "tiring" to them.  

Jesus, nobody knows shit about these guys and what they do or how they feel.  Who the fuck knows what is going on in their personal lives? Maybe their kids have shit going on that makes it so they don't want to leave home or make a record.  Maybe they have sick family members.  Maybe they don't like each other.  It could be one thing with one guy. It could be several things with all of them.  

They'll put out a record or announce tour plans when they are ready to do so. Until then, find something else to do. 
  • Options
    dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    Maybe they don't like traveling?  I know most people here (me included) would think going to Europe for a month would be a hoot, but maybe after they've done it several times over the past 25 years, they are bored of it?  So maybe being on the road and being away from family or home is "tiring" to them.  

Jesus, nobody knows shit about these guys and what they do or how they feel.  Who the fuck knows what is going on in their personal lives? Maybe their kids have shit going on that makes it so they don't want to leave home or make a record.  Maybe they have sick family members.  Maybe they don't like each other.  It could be one thing with one guy. It could be several things with all of them.  

They'll put out a record or announce tour plans when they are ready to do so. Until then, find something else to do. 
    This is spot on.  Who knows what’s going on in their lives.  Who knows what’s going on with their kids, spouses, siblings, and parents.  

And for whoever said they only work three hours a day while touring, you clearly don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about.  I travel quite a bit for work.  I pretty much always stay in nice hotels, eat good meals, and have decent seats on airplanes.  But, it still fucking sucks sometimes. Being in random and unfamiliar cities, in different hotels, can be frustrating. I fucking hate hotel remote controls.  Sometimes the restaurants suck.  Even if I only have to work for  3-4 hours in a given day, I still don’t get to sleep in my bed and spend time with my family.  Granted, the boys in PJ definetly travel better than I do, but at the end of the night they’re still going to bed at a place that’s not home and away from friends and family.  And, when they’re on tour, they probably can’t do much without being noticed (especially at their hotel, considering the amount of people who travel to see them and recognize the band).  Even if their families travel with them, I seriously doubt their spouses and kids really get excited about going to 80% of the stops on their tours and living in hotels. The only enjoyment the band and their families probably get is the 3 hour concert. 

I stayed at the same hotel as the band in Detroit a few years ago and saw mike walking around downtown taking Polaroids (super nice guy, btw).  The reason he was doing it is probably because there is nothing fun to do in fucking Detroit on a weekday morning.  Same goes for most cities, except probably a few cities on the West Coast and in the Northeast.  

That being said, I would love nothing more than an announcement about a long American tour with 5-6 dates I can attend. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    DewieCox said:

I already said... Have you forgotten about the publicity side of things altogether?
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Well Jeff has straight up admitted that he hates touring. He just doesn't like having to move from city to city, live out of a suitcase... I think he's more of a homebody. That's where I'd be if I were in the same situation. I'd hate to leave my own bed and my pet for that long amount of time, going from hotel to hotel for work. It sounds like a total drag to me... Of course, I'd totally do it if I made the kind of money these guys do, lol.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    dr122931 said:

This is spot on.  Who knows what’s going on in their lives.  Who knows what’s going on with their kids, spouses, siblings, and parents.  

And for whoever said they only work three hours a day while touring, you clearly don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about.  I travel quite a bit for work.  I pretty much always stay in nice hotels, eat good meals, and have decent seats on airplanes.  But, it still fucking sucks sometimes. Being in random and unfamiliar cities, in different hotels, can be frustrating. I fucking hate hotel remote controls.  Sometimes the restaurants suck.  Even if I only have to work for  3-4 hours in a given day, I still don’t get to sleep in my bed and spend time with my family.  Granted, the boys in PJ definetly travel better than I do, but at the end of the night they’re still going to bed at a place that’s not home and away from friends and family.  And, when they’re on tour, they probably can’t do much without being noticed (especially at their hotel, considering the amount of people who travel to see them and recognize the band).  Even if their families travel with them, I seriously doubt their spouses and kids really get excited about going to 80% of the stops on their tours and living in hotels. The only enjoyment the band and their families probably get is the 3 hour concert. 

I stayed at the same hotel as the band in Detroit a few years ago and saw mike walking around downtown taking Polaroids (super nice guy, btw).  The reason he was doing it is probably because there is nothing fun to do in fucking Detroit on a weekday morning.  Same goes for most cities, except probably a few cities on the West Coast and in the Northeast.  

That being said, I would love nothing more than an announcement about a long American tour with 5-6 dates I can attend. 
    Ooh that was me who said they only work three hours while on tour.  So what else do they do work related?  Set list, sound check, play, throw tambourines and?
    and I am thinking their travel experience is a little different than yours. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    dr122931dr122931 Posts: 455
    edited April 2019
     You don’t have to be doing shit for it to be work.  The work for the band is the fun part.  Downtime is the not so fun part.  
    I have to go to Fort Lauderdale for 3 days next week for work.  I’m staying at a nice hotel on the beach and flying first class. I may only “work”  7 hours while I’m there.  On paper it sounds like an alright time, but I’m going to be away from my kids and I’ll be in a city I really don’t give a fuck about being in. Eating unfamiliar restaurants.  Watching strangers. Drinking alone.  Trying to find out what channel news/sports is at the hotel.  Living out of a suitcase.  
    Yes, PJ has it better than probably everyone reading this.  It still doesn’t make it fun. I bet they have a blast for about 4-5 hours on show days in the time leading up to and following the show.  The rest of the time, maybe not.  What the hell do they do in Tulsa, Charlottesville, Buffalo, Milwaukee, Okc, Milwaukee, St Paul, Detroit, etc.  All may be nice enough cities, but they’re not on anyone’s bucket list of places to go for a night or have an off day.  

Post edited by dr122931 on
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,301

Well yeah, the fan club owes us our paid dues. I don't think anyone disagrees there, not even me.  But Pearl Jam themselves do not owe us an album, an explanation for the long wait since the last one, nor do they need to live up to anyone's interpretation or expectation of what or how long recovering from a tour takes, and they certainly don't owe anything to anyone questioning their work ethic.
    Who are you arguing with? No one has said any of these things. Most comments are simply statements related to lack of any music from musicians. Not that they OWE music...just that they aren't producing any
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760
    NewJPage said:

Who are you arguing with? No one has said any of these things. Most comments are simply statements related to lack of any music from musicians. Not that they OWE music...just that they aren't producing any
    They can bring out the new album when ever it is ready. Do not hold any touring up because of it though!
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    dr122931 said:

I have to go to Fort Lauderdale for 3 days next week for work.  I’m staying at a nice hotel on the beach and flying first class. I may only “work”  7 hours while I’m there.  On paper it sounds like an alright time, but I’m going to be away from my kids and I’ll be in a city I really don’t give a fuck about being in. Eating unfamiliar restaurants.  Watching strangers. Drinking alone.  Trying to find out what channel news/sports is at the hotel.  Living out of a suitcase.  

Oh, the horror lol

j/k
  • Options
    MO195132MO195132 Posts: 42
    well their official twitter is tweeting about Wage Gap and the white men who make so much more....yeah we're done
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    dr122931 said:
     You don’t have to be doing shit for it to be work.  The work for the band is the fun part.  Downtime is the not so fun part.  
    Yes, PJ has it better than probably everyone reading this.  It still doesn’t make it fun. I bet they have a blast for about 4-5 hours on show days in the time leading up to and following the show.  The rest of the time, maybe not.  What the hell do they do in Tulsa, Charlottesville, Buffalo, Milwaukee, Okc, Milwaukee, St Paul, Detroit, etc.  All may be nice enough cities, but they’re not on anyone’s bucket list of places to go for a night or have an off day.  

Oh FFS, give me a break. Those aren't bum fuck no where places with nothing going on besides pig races and meat raffles. These are 50 year old men, they're not hitting up clubs in their downtime so I doubt it matters. Plenty of culture to be experienced in all those cities listed if they're really interested, but that's neither here nor there. They have access to whatever they want besides not being in their own homes. Is it the same, no, but it sure isn't a punishment or torment.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    dr122931 said:

None of those things apply to them unless they want them to. 
  • Options
    NewJPage said:

And look at the tone of those posts. Yes, people are being demanding when nothing is owed.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    Nothing needs to be owed for their to be an honest discussion regarding what the future holds. The OP asked a valid question. It isn't entitlement that leads some to worry the answer is yes. Or if it isn't now, will be soon.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."