Options

Are we done?

Comments

• Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,302
    NewJPage said:
    The moment you charge for a fan club, I’d say you owe something. What that something is, I don’t know.

If the 10CL were to shut down, I would agree they owe us nothing.
    Well yeah, the fan club owes us our paid dues. I don't think anyone disagrees there, not even me.  But Pearl Jam themselves do not owe us an album, an explanation for the long wait since the last one, nor do they need to live up to anyone's interpretation or expectation of what or how long recovering from a tour takes, and they certainly don't owe anything to anyone questioning their work ethic.
    Who are you arguing with? No one has said any of these things. Most comments are simply statements related to lack of any music from musicians. Not that they OWE music...just that they aren't producing any
    And look at the tone of those posts. Yes, people are being demanding when nothing is owed.
    Unless I missed it, I have not seen anyone DEMAND an album or tour. I have seen lots of expressions of disappointment that there aren't either, including from members of the band
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    kaw753kaw753 Posts: 761
    dr122931 said:
     You don’t have to be doing shit for it to be work.  The work for the band is the fun part.  Downtime is the not so fun part.  
    I have to go to Fort Lauderdale for 3 days next week for work.  I’m staying at a nice hotel on the beach and flying first class. I may only “work”  7 hours while I’m there.  On paper it sounds like an alright time, but I’m going to be away from my kids and I’ll be in a city I really don’t give a fuck about being in. Eating unfamiliar restaurants.  Watching strangers. Drinking alone.  Trying to find out what channel news/sports is at the hotel.  Living out of a suitcase.  
    Yes, PJ has it better than probably everyone reading this.  It still doesn’t make it fun. I bet they have a blast for about 4-5 hours on show days in the time leading up to and following the show.  The rest of the time, maybe not.  What the hell do they do in Tulsa, Charlottesville, Buffalo, Milwaukee, Okc, Milwaukee, St Paul, Detroit, etc.  All may be nice enough cities, but they’re not on anyone’s bucket list of places to go for a night or have an off day.  

Dude, I think we can leave Milwaukee out of that list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRCTc6stICc
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    edited April 2019
    kaw753 said:
    dr122931 said:
     You don’t have to be doing shit for it to be work.  The work for the band is the fun part.  Downtime is the not so fun part.  
    I have to go to Fort Lauderdale for 3 days next week for work.  I’m staying at a nice hotel on the beach and flying first class. I may only “work”  7 hours while I’m there.  On paper it sounds like an alright time, but I’m going to be away from my kids and I’ll be in a city I really don’t give a fuck about being in. Eating unfamiliar restaurants.  Watching strangers. Drinking alone.  Trying to find out what channel news/sports is at the hotel.  Living out of a suitcase.  
    Yes, PJ has it better than probably everyone reading this.  It still doesn’t make it fun. I bet they have a blast for about 4-5 hours on show days in the time leading up to and following the show.  The rest of the time, maybe not.  What the hell do they do in Tulsa, Charlottesville, Buffalo, Milwaukee, Okc, Milwaukee, St Paul, Detroit, etc.  All may be nice enough cities, but they’re not on anyone’s bucket list of places to go for a night or have an off day.  

Dude, I think we can leave Milwaukee out of that list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRCTc6stICc
    Well, at least don't include it multiple times! ;-)
    Edit: They have a hell of a baseball team right now! And who can't help but love a team called the "Brewers!"
    Post edited by rummy on
  • Options
    jhager79jhager79 Kitchener Ontario Posts: 234
    I've been a fan of this band since early '92 when a friend whose older sister worked at a record store played Jeremy for me on his Walkman and it was like nothing I'd heard before.  From that moment on I've been hooked, everything PJ I could listen to I bought, went to as many shows as I could and enjoyed everyone of the them. This band has been with me through elementary school,  high school, college, different jobs, cities, a couple of girlfriends and finally my wife ( yes PJ was played at our wedding) and I've introduced my son to PJ . This band has been a constant for more than half my life and for that I'm grateful and I owe them more than they owe me. If they are finished as a band ( I don't think they are, far from it) I'm totally ok with it, 27 years of great memories and music is more than you can ask from any band.We are all better off for having Pearl Jam in our lives .

[img][/img]Kitchener2005
    Toronto 2003
    Toronto 2000
    Barrie 1998
    Toronto 1993
    London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
    London 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 2016 May 10/12
    Chicago 2018 N2
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    NewJPage said:
    NewJPage said:
    The moment you charge for a fan club, I’d say you owe something. What that something is, I don’t know.

Well yeah, the fan club owes us our paid dues. I don't think anyone disagrees there, not even me.  But Pearl Jam themselves do not owe us an album, an explanation for the long wait since the last one, nor do they need to live up to anyone's interpretation or expectation of what or how long recovering from a tour takes, and they certainly don't owe anything to anyone questioning their work ethic.
    Who are you arguing with? No one has said any of these things. Most comments are simply statements related to lack of any music from musicians. Not that they OWE music...just that they aren't producing any
    And look at the tone of those posts. Yes, people are being demanding when nothing is owed.
    Unless I missed it, I have not seen anyone DEMAND an album or tour. I have seen lots of expressions of disappointment that there aren't either, including from members of the band
    Again, it’s in the tone. It doesn’t need to be expressly stated. It’s been in this thread and plenty of others.
    See you when the album drops and on the next tour.
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,403
    tbergs said:
    dr122931 said:

Oh FFS, give me a break. Those aren't bum fuck no where places with nothing going on besides pig races and meat raffles. 
    And what’s wrong with pig races and meat raffles???
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,302
    NewJPage said:
    NewJPage said:

Again, it’s in the tone. It doesn’t need to be expressly stated. It’s been in this thread and plenty of others.
    Fair enough Dyer. I do sense negativity, perhaps from me as well...I think its frustration more than anything. I do not think they are done, I DO like (most of) lightning bolt, and look forward to the next album.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    NewJPage said:
    NewJPage said:
    NewJPage said:

Fair enough Dyer. I do sense negativity, perhaps from me as well...I think its frustration more than anything. I do not think they are done, I DO like (most of) lightning bolt, and look forward to the next album.
    In a year we will all look back at this thread and laugh at how silly we all sounded.  And that includes me! :wink: 
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I hate everyone 
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,972
    All I know is, I just got back from a weeks vacation with my family, and I'm happy as fuck to be home (despite having a relaxing vacation). I don't wanna go anywhere any time soon. So I have nothing but sympathy for them, who have to go on a several week "vacation", Different time zones, early departures, late arrivals. Probably alot of hurry up and wait. Having To deal with not being at their own home every night. Having to deal with Pearl Jam fans (like the ones in this thread) daily. I have no doubt its exhausting and after doing it for almost 30 years, I get the the desire to not rush into it again. 

But I do think people are borderline demanding the band do shit (put out an album/tour/stop releasing merch/release more merch). If anyone needs to find some chill its probably the fan base.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    tbergs said:
    dr122931 said:

Oh FFS, give me a break. Those aren't bum fuck no where places with nothing going on besides pig races and meat raffles. 
    And what’s wrong with pig races and meat raffles???
    I don't like animals being used for entertainment and gambling. But I do like meat draws!!! Hypocrisy be damned, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JadlerJadler Posts: 705
    Reading all these posts —through the good, the bad, and the ugly. What I sense most is there is still a ton of passion from the band’s fans. Whether in defense of the band’s touring, and album plans (or lack thereof), or railing against their current business model... it seems to me that the passion is still there from all of us regardless of which side of the fence we may be on. I hope (and want to believe) that the passion expressed by all of the fans, especially here in 10C will be reverberated back to everyone by the band themselves for years to come. It may not be the beginning, but I certainly don’t think it’s the end just yet. 
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    edited April 2019
    just a question...how many of u saying they work only 3 hours .....go on tours and multiple shows?
    like leave your house 1st of june and return 1st july?
    like travel away from home for a month..traveling every second day..pack ,unpack,..go to and from airports,change continent,have different hours per continent and countries,change the time u sleep,,the time u shit,the time u eat,change bed every 2 days .go meet different peoople ,in different countries,talk with people english isnt their first language..away from family,.,do production for your job,rehearshal,.go to work hours before those 3 hours performance,and stay hours after the show...give interiews,meet peole u dont know and maybe dont have the mood to meet ,and be 50-55-60 years old?
    im doing that as a fan...the longest i did was was 32 days on the road...well,,itsa a torture..and i diodnt have to work,,,i was on vacation..and its exhausting!!
    only that u  must travel the next day is killing u,,your body hurts all the time,the mussles,the legs from standing..u need t catch the next light ,be on airport the ime u have to be..be away from family,and your habits,..change all your horario ,from summer ion your coun try u go to winter.or the opposite,,from a dry place u go to humid place,your fuckin bones killing u...
    and in the top of that u need to perform and make people happy and enjoy..no matter if feeling ok,have a headache,,your stomach hurts,if u cant take a shit from the different food and times u eat and sleep,,the show must go on...
    well..im telling u,cos i do it at every tour,,,its fuckin difficult,,touring is away for difficult than 3 hours of show and cos u dont tune your instruments..
    the only huge plus they have is they get paid well and after tor they can rest.....me as a fan.,..im fucked cos i need rest but i have to work after tour.cos tour was my vacation days..last year went to 11 shows europe tour...32 days  total on the road..ill tell u this...this year i go to only 1 ev solo show..and im happy i will not travel like last year for a month......

Post edited by dimitrispearljam on
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,395
    edited April 2019
    just a question...how many of u saying they work only 3 hours .....go on tours and multiple shows?
    like travel away from home for a month..traveling every second day..pack ,unpack,..go to and from airports,change continent,have different hours per continent and countries,change the time u sleep,,the time u shit,the time u eat,change bed every 2 days .go meet different peoople ,in different countries,talk with people english isnt their first language..away from family,.,do production for your job,rehearshal,.go to work hours before those 3 hours performance,and stay hours after the show...give interiews,meet peole u dont know and maybe dont have the mood to meet ,and be 50-55-60 years old?
    im doing that as a fan...the longest i did was was 32 days on the road...well,,itsa a torture..and i diodnt have to work,,,i was on vacation..and its exhausting!!
    only that u  must travel the next day is killing u,,your body hurts all the time,the mussles,the legs from standing..u need t catch the next light ,be on airport the ime u have to be..be away from family,and your habits,..change all your horario ,from summer ion your coun try u go to winter.or the opposite,,from a dry place u go to humid place,your fuckin bones killing u...
    and in the top of that u need to perform and make people happy and enjoy..no matter if feeling ok,have a headache,,your stomach hurts,if u cant take a shit from the different food and times u eat and sleep,,the show must go on...
    well..im telling u,cos i do it at every tour,,,its fuckin difficult,,touring is away for difficult than 3 hours of show and cos u dont tune your instruments..
    the only huge plus they have is they get paid well and after tor they can rest.....me as a fan.,..im fucked cos i need rest but i have to work after tour.cos tour was my vacation days..last year went to 11 shows europe tour...32 days  total on the road..ill tell u this...this year i go to only 1 ev solo show..and im happy i will not travel like last year for a month......

Sounds like torture having that much time and money to follow a band. Torture. 
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    It's their goddamned jobs! It is what they signed up for. It is why they're paid exorbitant amounts. I certainly hope people aren't trying to empathize with their "plight.: Christ, they are some of the most privileged in society. Why people are trying to make them out to be put upon or making great sacrifice is way beyond me. These are dudes who play musical instruments and perform in front of people for a living. And it is what they chose to do. Something most of us can only fantasize about. Poor, poor PJ. Give me a break. These guys don't work their asses off. They are in a position to do what they want, when they want. We should all be so lucky.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

u dont have a clue how much effort and work and how much pressure i put in my personal life to save money for a month tour..its torture indeed
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,395

u dont have a clue how much effort and work and how much pressure i put in my personal life to save money for a month tour..its torture indeed
    Then why do it? Sounds like you hate it.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    my_wavemy_wave clearwater, FL Posts: 339
    this all began, in my opinion, with the announcement of the vinyl single ending, and it's all been downhill from there because no one knows what the fuck is going on, and while there has never really been much communication from the band with the fans, i think as fans living in the social media age where most bands give daily updates and are very open about touring/recording/updating fans/etc... and those bands still at least let you know what's going on even when nothing's really happening, 99.9% of bands just seem more open and are out there updating everyone on a daily basis and communicating with their fans, and with pj we don't have that, so everyone freaks out and makes assumptions and gets anxious and paranoid and we become filled with what if's...  and i think the reason is because this isn't just a band to us, it's part of who we are, it's something deeply embedded in us all because there is so much passion and love in the fanbase... so just like in relationships, when there's no communication it's fucked up, but this band for whatever reason chooses not too be open and as fans we have to respect that, as much as it sucks, and then you add the ten club's lack of communication about anything and that just adds fuel to the fire, and so here we are... it's obvious no one cares or they'd address the situation, but it is what it is, so all we can do is be patient and wait and hope for the best, and maybe eventually they'll tell us why there was no communication, but probably not... it's all just very depressing, for me anyways, i miss the band i love, maybe we're all going through withdrawal... no more vinyl single and we've all been a mess ever since...
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    I wouldn't look forward to traveling for a month, being away from family and home. But I also imagine they have it 100 times better when they travel. When I travel I have to stretch a small budget, I stay at cheap hotels, eat crappy food, am worried about how much I am spending and that takes a lot of joy away from traveling. 
    But to act like they must be miserable the whole time seems excessive. Yes, I'm sure they miss their family and home, but there's zero of the financial issues, that has to add some luxury and fun into the day. Having someone pick you up and take you to the airport and make all the arrangements is probably a lot nicer than finding the cheapest flight on a crowded Frontier flight that is usually 6 AM, get up at 2 AM to get to the airport in time for a 3 hour flight without any food or drink in a stuffy plane. 
    I'm just saying I can understand some of what is said, but having all that money and luxury would make it a lot nicer than what any of experience when we travel. I doubt they are so miserable as some have said.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,902

I still stand by my opinion that they work only three hours a day.  Sounds like you got quite the life. I’d love to go away with my wife for even a week and tour with the band let alone a month. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    edited April 2019
    mcgruff10 said:

I still stand by my opinion that they work only three hours a day.  Sounds like you got quite the life. I’d love to go away with my wife for even a week and tour with the band let alone a month. 
    Is it true that you don’t get more than two weeks off from work in the US? In Europe if you have a decent job you get 4-6 weeks which is really nice. So yes, if you manage to save enough money it’s possible to go around Europe for a month. It’s surprisingly affordable if you plan well in advance. 
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Is it true that you don’t get more than two weeks off from work in the US? In Europe if you have a decent job you get 4-6 weeks which is really nice. So yes, if you manage to save enough money it’s possible to go around Europe for a month. It’s surprisingly affordable if you plan well in advance. 
    Depends on the job bud. Most of my friends get four to six weeks off but I don’t know anyone that would use it all at the same time. I love pj but no way I’d want to follow them for a month.  However no one is going to get any sympathy from me after telling us about the stress and sacrifices you endure while being on vacation while following your favorite band.  
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    mcgruff10 said:
    JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Depends on the job bud. Most of my friends get four to six weeks off but I don’t know anyone that would use it all at the same time. I love pj but no way I’d want to follow them for a month.  However no one is going to get any sympathy from me after telling us about the stress and sacrifices you endure while being on vacation while following your favorite band.  I
    I don’t think he‘s looking for sympathy, simply trying to say what he‘s willing to sacrifice for his passion. I‘d definitely do the same for my passions. If they’re worth it, you do what you can to realise your dreams. Whatever they may be. 
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    mcgruff10 said:

Physically working?  100% agree.  But pretty much every rock star or touring musician has said at some point in their career that being on the road and touring can be kinda shitty after awhile. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I know very few people who only get 2 weeks. But I hear that all the time. Usually it is entry level jobs that get 2 weeks, anyone who has been working the same place for a few years will have much more. 4-6 weeks is pretty normal, and many offer sick time beyond that, some jobs make you burn vacation time for being sick, but still almost always at least 4-6 weeks.
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    my_wave said:
    this all began, in my opinion, with the announcement of the vinyl single ending, and it's all been downhill from there because no one knows what the fuck is going on, and while there has never really been much communication from the band with the fans, i think as fans living in the social media age where most bands give daily updates and are very open about touring/recording/updating fans/etc... and those bands still at least let you know what's going on even when nothing's really happening, 99.9% of bands just seem more open and are out there updating everyone on a daily basis and communicating with their fans, and with pj we don't have that, so everyone freaks out and makes assumptions and gets anxious and paranoid and we become filled with what if's...  and i think the reason is because this isn't just a band to us, it's part of who we are, it's something deeply embedded in us all because there is so much passion and love in the fanbase... so just like in relationships, when there's no communication it's fucked up, but this band for whatever reason chooses not too be open and as fans we have to respect that, as much as it sucks, and then you add the ten club's lack of communication about anything and that just adds fuel to the fire, and so here we are... it's obvious no one cares or they'd address the situation, but it is what it is, so all we can do is be patient and wait and hope for the best, and maybe eventually they'll tell us why there was no communication, but probably not... it's all just very depressing, for me anyways, i miss the band i love, maybe we're all going through withdrawal... no more vinyl single and we've all been a mess ever since...
    100% agree with you on the bold points. PJ is old school and very private. The band loves what they do and they will do it again. Just more slowly.
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,804
    Just give us a damn tour already. I do not care if I am entitled or greedy or whatever for saying that. I love this band and want to see them play! 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Just give us a damn tour already. I do not care if I am entitled or greedy or whatever for saying that. I love this band and want to see them play! 
    Hell yeah!
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,403
    JPPJ84 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I work for a state government agency. First year through year 5 is 12 days plus federal holidays (11 holidays I think) per year.  We also get around 10 days of sick time. After that you accrue based on time with the agency, plus whatever you roll over year to year. I’m pretty lucky.  I know a lot of people that get two weeks a year.  One company I worked for that was one week a year for the first 5 years, 2 after that. And that included sick days. Needed more time off, you could take it but your weren’t getting paid. For a lot of people in the States vacation time is a luxury.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,247

No disrespect Dimi, but that is not torture. People starving in this world and immigrants fleeing horrendous living conditions is torture. Any of us choosing to spend thousands to follow a band around is the exact opposite of torture and a privilege millions can't afford. I'm sorry, I can't sympathize with you or this band for a lifestyle based in privilege.
    It's a hopeless situation...