Are we done?

Comments

• My two cents…

They’ll never fully retire because the money is too good. Each member can make ~$250,000 a stadium show. That’s really hard to say no to. They can take that money and use it for their charities and families. Who wouldn’t want that for a few hours of work?

They are a legacy band now and that’s completely fine. We can’t turn back the clock to 1992 or even 2006. 

Their musical output hasn’t been great since Riot Act and the last two albums have been pretty flat (IMHO).  Do we really want another Backspacer? 

The fan club single has been approached with such laziness from the band over the past few years that it’s really not a big deal that it’s over. 

The troubling part for me is that the concerts have begun to be a bit stale these days. I feel they tried to spice things up in 2014 with playing albums out of nowhere, but that can only last so long. They need to change up the encores and bring back the element of surprise with song selections. RITFW needs to be DONE. Try extending different songs (Marker in the sand) and shorten the always extended songs (Even Flow, Daughter). Improvs.. remember those?  Acoustic versions of normally electric songs. Just something to make it feel exciting.

4/30/03 7/8/03 7/9/03 7/14/03 9/28/04 9/29/04 9/15/05 5/13/06 6/01/06 6/02/06 6/24/08 6/25/08 6/27/08 7/1/08 8/4/08 8/5/08 6/8/09 5/19/2010 5/20/2010 5/21/2010 6/22/2011 10/25/2013 8/5/2016 9/2/2018
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

My two cents…

They’ll never fully retire because the money is too good. Each member can make ~$250,000 a stadium show. That’s really hard to say no to. They can take that money and use it for their charities and families. Who wouldn’t want that for a few hours of work?

They are a legacy band now and that’s completely fine. We can’t turn back the clock to 1992 or even 2006. 

Their musical output hasn’t been great since Riot Act and the last two albums have been pretty flat (IMHO).  Do we really want another Backspacer? 

The fan club single has been approached with such laziness from the band over the past few years that it’s really not a big deal that it’s over. 

The troubling part for me is that the concerts have begun to be a bit stale these days. I feel they tried to spice things up in 2014 with playing albums out of nowhere, but that can only last so long. They need to change up the encores and bring back the element of surprise with song selections. RITFW needs to be DONE. Try extending different songs (Marker in the sand) and shorten the always extended songs (Even Flow, Daughter). Improvs.. remember those?  Acoustic versions of normally electric songs. Just something to make it feel exciting.

I miss those the most and the random tags. I mean, they did front tag Help, Help with Help so it happens, but not much. The best one in recent memory was when they incorporated Jumpin' Jack Flash in to LBC. That was awesome.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    edited March 2019
    Nevermind
    Post edited by stuckinline on
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

My two cents…

unpopular opinion, but true
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    edited March 2019
    I'll gladly take another Backspacer.  Just saying.  I still don't know why some people in here still come around and claim to be fans while at the same time always whining about how the last time they liked an album was 13-19 years ago, bitching about "the band that fought Ticketmaster" :weary:, and their seniority not meaning anything (even though it does).  When I'm that unhappy with something, I usually end the relationship.  But ya know, to each their own.  Carry on.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    edited March 2019
    I was firmly in the camp of not caring about a new album for years. The live shows and the boots are really the core of my fandom. I've been lucky enough to hear most of the songs I've chased over the years, but there are still a few elusive ones. Nothing is better than that feeling of anticipation on showday, wondering what they will open with or what rarity may sneak its way on to the set list. The lack of new music doesn't change any of that.

But...if I am being honest...2018 was the first time it felt a little stale. A little bit like they were stretching the material. Slotting in covers rather than deep cuts.  It was the first time I found myself wishing there was something new.

That's why I find the lack of recording to be so disappointing.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,626
    I have only seen 14 shows but stale and Pearl Jam are words I would never put together with regards to their live shows. Yes they can be even more spontaneous and mix things up more than they do but we are extremely spoiled and lucky to even be able to complain that they played too many covers or carried over too many songs from the night before. In 2018 alone through 26 shows they played over 150 unique songs. That is incredible imo. 
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    JimmyV said:
    I was firmly in the camp of not caring about a new album for years. The live shows and the boots are really the core of my fandom. I've been lucky enough to hear most of the songs I've chased over the years, but there are still a few elusive ones. Nothing is better than that feeling of anticipation on showday, wondering what they will open with or what rarity may sneak its way on to the set list. The lack of new music doesn't change any of that.

But...if I am being honest...2018 was the first time it felt a little stale. A little bit like they were stretching the material. Slotting in covers rather than deep cuts.  It was the first time I found myself wishing there was something new.

That's why I find the lack of recording to be so disappointing.

Great point about the covers. I get playing a couple but any more than that is frustrating, especially for a band that does not play that many shows. We are all waiting around for 2-3 years for some shows and to then hear them play someone else's song is anticlimactic.

The lack of some progress on a new album is very curious. These guys are very talented songwriters. To not have 10 or so songs in the pipeline at this point is perplexing. I get they have their important side projects, but as a band they have been inactive for long stretches since mid 2016 (2015 was also a light year). A cool riff doesn't come to mind on a lazy Tuesday afternoon? Do we care more than they do? Has 28 years of growling made more growling difficult?
  • vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 806
    Heard from reliable sources that the band is currently in the studio working on the new album so everyone just calm down.
  • I'll gladly take another Backspacer.  Just saying.  I still don't know why some people in here still come around and claim to be fans while at the same time always whining about how the last time they liked an album was 13-19 years ago, bitching about "the band that fought Ticketmaster" :weary:, and their seniority not meaning anything (even though it does).  When I'm that unhappy with something, I usually end the relationship.  But ya know, to each their own.  Carry on.
    I totally get your points and I can only speak for myself. While I haven't liked the last two albums, I still come around here because I have great memories from this band and I still listen to and enjoy countless hours of music from their past. I also enjoy reading posts from this community as it's mostly an upbeat and positive place. 
    4/30/03 7/8/03 7/9/03 7/14/03 9/28/04 9/29/04 9/15/05 5/13/06 6/01/06 6/02/06 6/24/08 6/25/08 6/27/08 7/1/08 8/4/08 8/5/08 6/8/09 5/19/2010 5/20/2010 5/21/2010 6/22/2011 10/25/2013 8/5/2016 9/2/2018
  • foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    okay so everyone has some legitimate observations. again with their music and song selection you just can't please everybody. i personally have liked their last 2 albums. every song maybe not(sirens) but for a band that has been around for so many years look at other bands like the stones and even bruce springsteen that not all their output is as stellar as at the beginning. do i think it is over, absolutely not. it will be just more selective as to when they get together and tour. but when they do how about since they put out a poll about the rarities , how about making those less rare next time out. maybe make certain shows rarity shows. the new fan won't really appreciate it right away but i feel the vast majority of attendees are not new but very loyal repeat customers. everyone that is feeling they are done and being negative believe it or not are coming from a place of loving this band . its really the last thing they want to think. so forget about the negative noise. these guys still get the juice from playing live together. it will continue. so start a fund now and start saving so you will have the ability to go see them when that time arrives to hopefully catch them in your hometown or somewhere not to far away. ( please no griping they haven't played... in 20 years ) it is what it is just be ready for the next wave and catch it and enjoy it while you can. nothing lasts forever. 
  • BC62528BC62528 Posts: 199
    The machine is certainly slowing down, as expected given their age - and most of our ages, but I think there is still some more gas in the tank.  Check out the new home page photo - awesome reminder of how great we have had it over the years.  Does anyone know what arena that is taken from?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Guys please explain to me what a legacy band is.  I think I have an idea of the definition but I could definitely be wrong.  (no one really cares about the new music, fans show up to hear the hits and the hits are played at every show)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • cornelia.hcornelia.h Vienna Posts: 47
    edited March 2019
    BC62528 said:
    The machine is certainly slowing down, as expected given their age - and most of our ages, but I think there is still some more gas in the tank.  Check out the new home page photo - awesome reminder of how great we have had it over the years.  Does anyone know what arena that is taken from?

Looks like ZiggoDome Amsterdam..
    Salzburg 2000, Vienna 2006, Munich 2007, Novarock 2007, Prag, Berlin 1 + 2, Stockholm 2012, EV London 1 + 2 2012, Vienna 2014, EV Berlin 2017, Berlin 2018, EV Amsterdam I + II 2019
    I'll gladly take another Backspacer.  Just saying.  I still don't know why some people in here still come around and claim to be fans while at the same time always whining about how the last time they liked an album was 13-19 years ago, bitching about "the band that fought Ticketmaster" :weary:, and their seniority not meaning anything (even though it does).  When I'm that unhappy with something, I usually end the relationship.  But ya know, to each their own.  Carry on.
    I totally get your points and I can only speak for myself. While I haven't liked the last two albums, I still come around here because I have great memories from this band and I still listen to and enjoy countless hours of music from their past. I also enjoy reading posts from this community as it's mostly an upbeat and positive place. 
    Yep, I totally get that and appreciate your insight!  It's ok to not like everything in the catalog; I'm certainly not saying you have to like everything to be a fan. I also don't like saying things "true fan" etc as if there is some measurement to quantify someone's fandom.  It's the repeated bitching and moaning about the same stuff from some that I see which gets on my nerves.
    mcgruff10 said:
    Guys please explain to me what a legacy band is.  I think I have an idea of the definition but I could definitely be wrong.  (no one really cares about the new music, fans show up to hear the hits and the hits are played at every show)
    This is true.  And if a legacy act is someone who just plays the hits, then 99.99% of all bands ever are legacy acts.  I always considered a legacy act to be someone that retired, stopped making new material many, many years ago (not just 5 1/2), and went back on the road with nothing but their name.  Pearl Jam has a long way to go before it becomes that.
    The band I've seen the most times other than Pearl Jam is Rush.  For the last 2 decades - that is to say, the last half -  of their career (1996-2015), Rush made exactly 4 albums and they were all 5-6 years apart.  In that time, they were all going through the ages Pearl Jam are at now.  Sure, things have slowed down for PJ, but there is no reason to think they're going away any time soon.  People just overreact to everything and have no patience in this world of instant gratification.
  • davidosdavidos Posts: 466
    After letting this all sit for a week or so... despite the confusing and infrequent snippets we get from the band members... I am convinced that they are not done... just taking the time to put together a great album... on their own terms. I would bet money that 2020 will be a big year for them with a new album, tour and the election. That is my hope.
  • JadlerJadler Posts: 703
    davidos said:
    After letting this all sit for a week or so... despite the confusing and infrequent snippets we get from the band members... I am convinced that they are not done... just taking the time to put together a great album... on their own terms. I would bet money that 2020 will be a big year for them with a new album, tour and the election. That is my hope.
    x2
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,894
    mcgruff10 said:
    This is true.  And if a legacy act is someone who just plays the hits, then 99.99% of all bands ever are legacy acts.  I always considered a legacy act to be someone that retired, stopped making new material many, many years ago (not just 5 1/2), and went back on the road with nothing but their name.  Pearl Jam has a long way to go before it becomes that.
    The band I've seen the most times other than Pearl Jam is Rush.  For the last 2 decades - that is to say, the last half -  of their career (1996-2015), Rush made exactly 4 albums and they were all 5-6 years apart.  In that time, they were all going through the ages Pearl Jam are at now.  Sure, things have slowed down for PJ, but there is no reason to think they're going away any time soon.  People just overreact to everything and have no patience in this world of instant gratification.
    This is extremely well said.  Kudos 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    mcgruff10 said:
    I love Rush. I still remember when Tom Sawyer came out.  It was huge.

Sad that Peart called it quits but I get it.   
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • DM282158DM282158 Beverly, MA Posts: 514
    vedpunk said:
    Heard from reliable sources that the band is currently in the studio working on the new album so everyone just calm down.
    This pleases me. 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    DM282158 said:
    vedpunk said:
    This pleases me. 
    Riiiiiggghhhhtttt. Probably a Philly radio station  DJ. They're the most reliable sources for PJ album drops. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • DM282158DM282158 Beverly, MA Posts: 514
    jeffbr said:
    DM282158 said:
    vedpunk said:
    This pleases me. 
    Riiiiiggghhhhtttt. Probably a Philly radio station  DJ. They're the most reliable sources for PJ album drops. 
    Lol!
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    vedpunk said:

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    vedpunk said:

Take it or leave it but my source is not the media or any radio station.  It is however a good friend that I trust with my life.  The boys are working on the new album.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited March 2019
    vedpunk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    vedpunk said:

Take it or leave it but my source is not the media or any radio station.  It is however a good friend that I trust with my life.  The boys are working on the new album.
    Lol - I will believe it for sure when I see it, but if it is true, I don't appreciate any of the band members fibbing about it. What you're saying literally goes against what both Jeff and Mike have said on the record.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    I bet they are working on the double Christmas single.
    PJ_Soul said:
    vedpunk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    vedpunk said:

Lol - I will believe it for sure when I see it, but if it is true, I don't appreciate any of the band members fibbing about it. What you're saying literally goes against what both Jeff and Mike have said on the record.
    LOL - Like the band members really tell the truth 100% of the time to the media. I’ve got some snake oil I’d like to sell you while we’re at it. Ha
  • DeadmanDeadman Posts: 782
    I feel like this is pretty well put really.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    vedpunk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    vedpunk said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    vedpunk said:

LOL - Like the band members really tell the truth 100% of the time to the media. I’ve got some snake oil I’d like to sell you while we’re at it. Ha
    It's not just believing words from the mouths of members of the band...it is also recent history (ie: last 5 years). I hope you are right! But even if they are "working" on the album doesn't tell us much. They "worked" on the album 18 months ago too
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16