2014 Innocence (5y 6m)
    2017 Experience (3y 3m)

Five Longest gaps between albums:
    1t. Pearl Jam (5y 6m)
    1t. U2 (same)
    3. U2 (4y 3m)
    4t. U2 (4y 1m)
    4t. Pearl Jam (same)

U2 has 3 gaps equal to or longer than Pearl Jam’s 2nd longest gap. Funny how U2 isn’t a legacy band or calling it quits or at the end of the road or not interested in making music or saying farewell or Bono is off on his own, etc etc.

(And I already know what he responses are gonna be to this. Believe me, I know what all the counterpoints are, and it’s nothing that hasn’t been said 1000 times already. I just thought this was an interesting observation I realized & thought I’d share it.)
    I really hope the next forthcoming U2 album is awesome because I wasn't a fan of the last one and that Bono plays some US dates on his upcoming solo tour.

Gold! lol

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    pdalowsky said:
    Speculation everywhere. 

I see too much reading between lines, and way too much 2 + 2 = 5 stuff here. 

It takes me back to the old message pit when they released binaural - and Parting ways was the band saying goodbye. That was 18 years ago. 

I'll quietly look forward to the next tour :)

Are you such a dreamer,
    To put the world to rights
    I'll stay home forever,
    Where two and two always makes a five
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited March 2019

U2 is a good example to bring up.

2000 Can’t Leave Behind (start)
    2004 Atomic Bomb (4y 1m)
    2009 No Line (4y 3m)
    2014 Innocence (5y 6m)
    2017 Experience (3y 3m)

1t. Pearl Jam (5y 6m)
    1t. U2 (same)
    3. U2 (4y 3m)
    4t. U2 (4y 1m)
    4t. Pearl Jam (same)

U2 has 3 gaps equal to or longer than Pearl Jam’s 2nd longest gap. Funny how U2 isn’t a legacy band or calling it quits or at the end of the road or not interested in making music or saying farewell or Bono is off on his own, etc etc.

(And I already know what he responses are gonna be to this. Believe me, I know what all the counterpoints are, and it’s nothing that hasn’t been said 1000 times already. I just thought this was an interesting observation I realized & thought I’d share it.)
    My only counterpoint is that U2's last 2 albums were way better than PJ's last 2 albums (and I thought U2's last 2 albums were average at best).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Call me crazy but I like the last two albums!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    JPPJ84 said:
    Call me crazy but I like the last two albums!

;)
    (kidding of course - to each their own)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    😎
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    Maybe Ed has writers block again.

Also, on top of that, they had a pretty huge loss (Cornell), priorities change. They have families. Life is ephemeral. Maybe hes putting his time into the things he wants. A Euro tour supports that. He can bring the family overseas, see shit. Maybe he wants to be a dad first, a husband second and an entertainer third. 

When they say its done, its done, until then its not done. We can speculate all we want, the reality is we know nothing (maybe a few people get morsels here and there). But we are in the dark about stuff now like we were before Synergy. Right now, we either sit and wait or do something else. But this hand wringing is annoying. Sure we want new tunes and a tour, but we are at their mercy. Best thing to do is to focus on something else.

I agree. I also think we underestimate the power of grief (not that I know anything about the band members). The grieving process is like fingerprints or snowflakes - everyone processes death differently. I was 26 when my sister passed (30 years ago, wholly sh*t) at the age of 30 leaving behind 3 boys ages 3, 5, & 7. I wanted no part of the funeral, funeral home or anyone other than my immediate family, but I did the “right” and “proper” thing when I really just wanted left alone. What was important was that we loved each other and knew it. So many bash Mr. Vedder about his reaction to Mr. Cornell’s death. Maybe he grieves the same way I do. And maybe it’s hard to write angry songs (we all love angry PJ!) when you’re more sad than angry or you’re more happy than angry. All I know is TS is correct, we don’t really know anything about them but I think I’ll cut them a break..I’m around the same age, followed them for 21 days in 2014 and even though it was a blast, it was a process before and exhaustion after once the adrenaline subsided. And when Mr. McCready said they were tired after the 2018 tour I’m sure he was being very, very honest! 
  • Options
    coco buttercoco butter Posts: 1,435
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.
    Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that.
  • Options
    Maybe Ed has writers block again.

Also, on top of that, they had a pretty huge loss (Cornell), priorities change. They have families. Life is ephemeral. Maybe hes putting his time into the things he wants. A Euro tour supports that. He can bring the family overseas, see shit. Maybe he wants to be a dad first, a husband second and an entertainer third. 

When they say its done, its done, until then its not done. We can speculate all we want, the reality is we know nothing (maybe a few people get morsels here and there). But we are in the dark about stuff now like we were before Synergy. Right now, we either sit and wait or do something else. But this hand wringing is annoying. Sure we want new tunes and a tour, but we are at their mercy. Best thing to do is to focus on something else.

I agree. I also think we underestimate the power of grief (not that I know anything about the band members). The grieving process is like fingerprints or snowflakes - everyone processes death differently. I was 26 when my sister passed (30 years ago, wholly sh*t) at the age of 30 leaving behind 3 boys ages 3, 5, & 7. I wanted no part of the funeral, funeral home or anyone other than my immediate family, but I did the “right” and “proper” thing when I really just wanted left alone. What was important was that we loved each other and knew it. So many bash Mr. Vedder about his reaction to Mr. Cornell’s death. Maybe he grieves the same way I do. And maybe it’s hard to write angry songs (we all love angry PJ!) when you’re more sad than angry or you’re more happy than angry. All I know is TS is correct, we don’t really know anything about them but I think I’ll cut them a break..I’m around the same age, followed them for 21 days in 2014 and even though it was a blast, it was a process before and exhaustion after once the adrenaline subsided. And when Mr. McCready said they were tired after the 2018 tour I’m sure he was being very, very honest! 
    Hell, if I were them, I would have retired 10 years ago, lol.
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,892
    Instead of obsessing about Pearl Jam's demise or the release of a new album maybe we need more polls?
    POLL
    What will you do instead of obsess about Pearl Jam Quitting?
    • Go on a vacation that doesn't involve waiting in line all day for merch.
    • Write some songs of your own.
    • Take some art classes.
    • Spend time with family and friends.
    • Find a new and younger band to obsess on-- that way you can count on many years of frustration ahead of you.
    • Hope for a new Mystery Box sale.
    • Cry in the corner, because you just can't let it go.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    Instead of obsessing about Pearl Jam's demise or the release of a new album maybe we need more polls?
    POLL
    • Take some art classes.
    • Find a new and younger band to obsess on-- that way you can count on many years of frustration ahead of you.
    Not one of your choices, and if you’re being serious, then seeing FF and Killers at Pilgramage will have to do. Great food, really nice area, you can come and go as you please (at least you could when EV was there) but it was 99 degrees both days so beware! 
  • Options
    lowlight79lowlight79 Posts: 205
    These guys just did 20 some odd shows last year, They toured on 2010,2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and took 2017 off. It's not the end, but I think a big slow down is now here. Losing someone very close to you affects people in different ways. When you have 5 individuals in a room who all went through that in a different way, it's hard to come together as one, they'll find a way. It's just gonna take time.
    "Only curfews can keep us down"
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    These guys just did 20 some odd shows last year, They toured on 2010,2011,2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and took 2017 off. It's not the end, but I think a big slow down is now here. Losing someone very close to you affects people in different ways. When you have 5 individuals in a room who all went through that in a different way, it's hard to come together as one, they'll find a way. It's just gonna take time.
    +1
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.

• Options
    Mike D88Mike D88 Tampa Posts: 722

i-Brzk3Rdjpg
    2008 Tampa - 2013 Buffalo - 2016 Tampa - 2016 Fenway II
    Audioslave 2005 MSG
  • Options
    circlesdowncirclesdown Posts: 308
    ponner1us said:
    I think there’s a lot more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye. I hope I’m wrong but I think they’re done. 
    This is what I fear.  

Its none one of my business so I didn’t want to question Ed but I can’t help but wonder when there’s not a peep from him during the Temple shows and not a peep around the time of the Cornell tribute show.  I know he had a tour kicking off in Amsterdam just after Chris passed, so I have no place to question how he couldn’t pull off making it work.  Lots and lots of relationships involved in all of that stuff, and one of the things that make these guys admirable is their discretion, integrity, etc, makes me want to always honor their privacy and not assume we’re entitled to any kind of explanation.  But it’s 100% human nature to just wonder what could be going on.  Like someone said in another post, like a friend that stopped calling .  It’s ok to wonder why haven’t they called.  I’ve always been kinda worried about the relationship between Ed and Stone, hope those two minds are able to meet and be friends.  Seems like Ed lavishes everyone Around him with constant praise, except for Stone.  

Im just a little sad about all of this lately.  
  • Options
    edited March 2019

This will be Ed's third year on stage since Chris' passing. IMO that tragedy has a minor impact on PJs plans

Details of which are forthcoming.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    POLL
    • Take some art classes.

Great poll. My reply is forthcoming.
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,765
    ponner1us said:
    I think there’s a lot more going on behind the scenes than meets the eye. I hope I’m wrong but I think they’re done. 
    This is what I fear.  

Its none one of my business so I didn’t want to question Ed but I can’t help but wonder when there’s not a peep from him during the Temple shows and not a peep around the time of the Cornell tribute show.  I know he had a tour kicking off in Amsterdam just after Chris passed, so I have no place to question how he couldn’t pull off making it work.  Lots and lots of relationships involved in all of that stuff, and one of the things that make these guys admirable is their discretion, integrity, etc, makes me want to always honor their privacy and not assume we’re entitled to any kind of explanation.  But it’s 100% human nature to just wonder what could be going on.  Like someone said in another post, like a friend that stopped calling .  It’s ok to wonder why haven’t they called.  I’ve always been kinda worried about the relationship between Ed and Stone, hope those two minds are able to meet and be friends.  Seems like Ed lavishes everyone Around him with constant praise, except for Stone.  

I think the math is a lot simpler here than everybody that harps on this particular note wants it to be.

Seems like maybe basically Ed didn't want to make Temple of the Dog about him, since, you know, it was never really about him.  And the same for the Chris tribute. A lot of people wanted to go pay their musical respects to him, Ed signs on and the whole damn thing becomes "what is Eddie Vedder going to perform".  

I think everyone should stop looking for gray clouds in the sky and maybe look for simpler solutions like, the night was about Chris, not Ed.  Temple of the Dog was about Andy and the guys reacting to his passing and now years later had a chance to go play some.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Now I know why never visit this board, thanks for reminding me why 
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    circlesdowncirclesdown Posts: 308
    PB11041 said:
    ponner1us said:
    This is what I fear.  

I think the math is a lot simpler here than everybody that harps on this particular note wants it to be.

Seems like maybe basically Ed didn't want to make Temple of the Dog about him, since, you know, it was never really about him.  And the same for the Chris tribute. A lot of people wanted to go pay their musical respects to him, Ed signs on and the whole damn thing becomes "what is Eddie Vedder going to perform".  

I think everyone should stop looking for gray clouds in the sky and maybe look for simpler solutions like, the night was about Chris, not Ed.  Temple of the Dog was about Andy and the guys reacting to his passing and now years later had a chance to go play some.
    All valid points.  And You’re probably right, I hope that’s all it is.  It would all make sense too, as it’s consistent with how he’s approached a lot of things, not wanting to make it about himself.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,934
    For the record, U2 is definitely a legacy band at this point. Yes they play new stuff, but generally outside of the hardcore fanbase, no one is going for the new stuff. 

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    For the record, U2 is definitely a legacy band at this point. Yes they play new stuff, but generally outside of the hardcore fanbase, no one is going for the new stuff. 

No one was going for the new stuff with Pearl Jam after Vitalogy either. Okey, maybe Last Kiss.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    lowlight79lowlight79 Posts: 205
    edited March 2019

This will be Ed's third year on stage since Chris' passing. IMO that tragedy has a minor impact on PJs plans

Because feelings of loss go away in three years? You are a fucking idiot. Have you actually ever loss someone close to you? Doesn't seem like it. Who do you think Ed is talking about during several version of black where he says "I'm gonna keep you in my heart"? People deal with death in different ways. The road seems to be the way for Ed.
    Post edited by lowlight79 on
    "Only curfews can keep us down"
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,934

No one was going for the new stuff with Pearl Jam after Vitalogy either. Okey, maybe Last Kiss.
    I’d argue at least through Yield. But PJ is also a legacy act and has been for a while. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited March 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

U2 is a good example to bring up.

2000 Can’t Leave Behind (start)
    2004 Atomic Bomb (4y 1m)
    2009 No Line (4y 3m)
    2014 Innocence (5y 6m)
    2017 Experience (3y 3m)

1t. Pearl Jam (5y 6m)
    1t. U2 (same)
    3. U2 (4y 3m)
    4t. U2 (4y 1m)
    4t. Pearl Jam (same)

My only counterpoint is that U2's last 2 albums were way better than PJ's last 2 albums (and I thought U2's last 2 albums were average at best).
    Opinion. I disagree whole-heartedly.  Although I do think Songs of Innocence was the best U2 album since Pop, Songs of Experience was indeed average at best.  And I still listen to Backspacer and Lightning Bolt way more than either.

I do love that Songs of Innocence royally pissed off a bunch of iPhone users for no apparent reason.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Wow. i think i need a break from this place :lol:
  • Options

Because feelings of loss go away in three years? You are a fucking idiot. Have you actually ever loss someone close to you? Doesn't seem like it. Who do you think Ed is talking about during several version of black where he says "I'm gonna keep you in my heart"? People deal with death in different ways. The road seems to be the way for Ed.

Delete your account or grow a brain.

Did I type his feelings of loss go away? No.

My point was each year Ed found a way to perform in public. PJ also toured last year. Many shows.

PJs likely inactivity has more to do with PJ and less to do with Cornell. That was my point. Good grief.
  • Options
    Wow. i think i need a break from this place :lol:
    No, you're cool. I am the f*cking idiot.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    POLL
    • Take some art classes.
    Are there any direct flights to good merch lines?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana