Options

Are we done?

Comments

• Options
    PORCH8PORCH8 Posts: 11
    Whether they record or tour together is completely up to them and no doubt they all have other priorities at this stage in their lives with their families etc.

I certainly agree with the posters who say they don't owe us anything however with no prospect of any tour dates for at least the rest of this year I have not bothered renewing my membership as the ticket presales are all I really get for my money - and I didn't even go for any on the Ed solo tour - I do find it a bit disheartening that Ed is doing a full solo tour rather than the whole band performing or recording together and the prices are ridiculous for the one gig that's in the UK at Wembley (well over £200 for one up close with a decent view and still nearly £100 to be so far away and up high in that stadium that you might as well not be there - where as last year I paid £85 for a floor standing ticket to see the whole band from just twenty yards away).

Hopefully they are each happy with the current situation and what they are each doing or not doing - I hope they will get back together either in the studio or on tour sometime soon but the way I see it there is little sense in paying a membership/subscription fee while a band is effectively on hiatus.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    For the record, PJ doesn’t travel like the typical fan. Their time in transit and in hotels is about as nice as it can get. There are no financial stresses related to travel either.

It’s also the price of fame. Look at athletes and their travel schedules.

I’m hoping for a tour waaaaay more than I am a new album. I’m okay with their catalogue as it is- their last few albums have lacked passion and haven’t added much to their legacy if we’re being honest.

That being said... they can choose to do as they please. But so can you as a consumer.
    I want a new album just to have something new to talk about. Another tour doesn't really count IMO. Yes, I want them to come to my town so I can go to a show, but that still wouldn't be anything new. New is good! .... Even if it sucks, it's better than stagnating.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    PJ_Soul said:
    For the record, PJ doesn’t travel like the typical fan. Their time in transit and in hotels is about as nice as it can get. There are no financial stresses related to travel either.

I’m hoping for a tour waaaaay more than I am a new album. I’m okay with their catalogue as it is- their last few albums have lacked passion and haven’t added much to their legacy if we’re being honest.

That being said... they can choose to do as they please. But so can you as a consumer.
    I want a new album just to have something new to talk about. Another tour doesn't really count IMO. Yes, I want them to come to my town so I can go to a show, but that still wouldn't be anything new. New is good! .... Even if it sucks, it's better than stagnating.
    I agree based off their definition of a "tour."
    Going to shows is getting too expensive for me, especially if they count last summer as a "tour" I had to drop about $1000 to get to see 2 shows. And I did it about as cheap as possible (no, I'm not willing to sleep on the streets or in a car anymore). My wife had to stay home because we couldn't afford for us both to go let alone a sitter for 4 days. I could only afford that by selling about $800 of my vinyl. I don't really plan to do that again, so unless they plan another 70-show tour (which they won't), a tour isn't going to do much for me anymore.
    Will probably see them again if it is within a day's drive.  So I'm holding out for a new record. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Going to shows is getting too expensive for me, especially if they count last summer as a "tour" I had to drop about $1000 to get to see 2 shows. And I did it about as cheap as possible (no, I'm not willing to sleep on the streets or in a car anymore). My wife had to stay home because we couldn't afford for us both to go let alone a sitter for 4 days. I could only afford that by selling about $800 of my vinyl. I don't really plan to do that again, so unless they plan another 70-show tour (which they won't), a tour isn't going to do much for me anymore.
    Will probably see them again if it is within a day's drive.  So I'm holding out for a new record. 
    I don't intend to travel for them at all anymore ... Like you say, it's just too expensive now. Even just a two day trip to Seattle is too much now, especially if they do it in the high season when hotels cost a fucking fortune. So I'm just hoping they come to Vancouver - that's likely the only way I'm seeing them again. I might consider Seattle too, IF it's in the winter, when hotels are cheap, but only if they don't come to Vancouver as well.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't intend to travel for them at all anymore ... Like you say, it's just too expensive now. Even just a two day trip to Seattle is too much now, especially if they do it in the high season when hotels cost a fucking fortune. So I'm just hoping they come to Vancouver - that's likely the only way I'm seeing them again. I might consider Seattle too, IF it's in the winter, when hotels are cheap, but only if they don't come to Vancouver as well.
    Actually, I hope they do Vegas. That is one of the places that is still cheap to travel too and can still be fun. Flew there for under $100 round trip over spring break. Hotels are only outrageous if you stay on the strip and I prefer downtown anyway. Just don't do it in July anymore when its 110 degrees. Already made 2 of those trips in a car without A/C when I was in college.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Actually, I hope they do Vegas. That is one of the places that is still cheap to travel too and can still be fun. Flew there for under $100 round trip over spring break. Hotels are only outrageous if you stay on the strip and I prefer downtown anyway. Just don't do it in July anymore when its 110 degrees. Already made 2 of those trips in a car without A/C when I was in college.
    Yeah, good point. I actually would still consider Vegas as well, but only because I've never been to Vegas and figure I should go just once in my life, so that would be a good excuse to go check it out finally. Although it wouldn't be that cheap for me - flying anywhere from Vancouver is fairly expensive, plus the other expenses - probably still looking at a good $1200+ trip altogether, for only a couple days. And again, i would want it to be in the low season. I don't really care if it's broiling there - I'm fine with just doing all indoor stuff there.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    vegas for thc gel caps and green hash. i'm so there and i bet the band and crew would be super happy there as well   ;)
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    edited April 2019
    I say this now but I think the days of flying to see pj are over. It is just too damn expensive. I think I dropped around $1500 for two nights in Chicago last year.  (Flights, hotel, tickets, food, drink, airport parking, souvenirs, etc)
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,354
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm exactly in the same boat (just have a ferry ride to consider). Three nights in Seattle, in August, cost me way more than I really want to spend on these sorts of things. It's Rogers Arena or bust (or BC Place... or Commodore Ballroom) for me, nowadays.
  • Options
    CJ260717CJ260717 Posts: 414
    mcgruff10 said:
    I say this now but I think the days of flying to see pj are over. It is just too damn expensive. I think I dropped around $1500 for two nights in Chicago last year.  (Flights, hotel, tickets, food, drink, airport parking, souvenirs, etc)
    I probably spent the same for the two Fenway shows.  And I didn't fly or buy any merch.  Now that I'm thinking about it I caught a ride down and back (2 hours away) so zero gas, tolls, or parking.  I did buy many drinks.

Two shows in one location is good for the band but when they get a rest day in between, I'm paying extra to be there that day instead of seeing back to back shows.  Would have been nice if Eddie was just a little less "happy" when he hit the stage N1.  He got paid for his recovery day.  I kept going.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    It's getting expensive but it is also getting irritating.  I don't care for baseball stadium shows, sick of merch lines....ridiculous to wait that long for one fucking shirt that you like or one poster, love the hype...just not liking the pattern
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,138
    It's getting expensive but it is also getting irritating.  I don't care for baseball stadium shows, sick of merch lines....ridiculous to wait that long for one fucking shirt that you like or one poster, love the hype...just not liking the pattern

Talk about irritating? For our $1000, Some of us even had a support beam to look at the entire show, for which there was no notification of obstructed views on the purchase page. 

So for those that insist pj owes fans nothing, I'd say that f up I am owed at least a pastrami sandwich or maybe even a cheeseburger for that. Or maybe just better information at time of purchase or modern venues next time.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544

Talk about irritating? For our $1000, Some of us even had a support beam to look at the entire show, for which there was no notification of obstructed views on the purchase page. 

So for those that insist pj owes fans nothing, I'd say that f up I am owed at least a pastrami sandwich or maybe even a cheeseburger for that. Or maybe just better information at time of purchase or modern venues next time.

As someone who has invested a lot of energy over the years on PJ's tour schedules and musical output (and still does from time to time), it isn't worth it. 
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,972
    Show exclusive merch aside, it is odd that they don't sell the general tour shirts on the site at the same time as the tours. Every other artist does it. 
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    Show exclusive merch aside, it is odd that they don't sell the general tour shirts on the site at the same time as the tours. Every other artist does it. 
    And many other major acts even have online presale for merchandise.  I'd gladly pay a premium, hell, I'd pay double, if it meant I didn't have to wait in line.  I'd be cool with "blind" presales too.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited April 2019
    It's all about hype and creating the illusion of scarcity
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    Agreed....I would think they would make tons of money doing that.  I can't imagine how much money I have kept in my pocket because I wasn't willing to wait in line.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,138
    Yes.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,972
    I guess it’s tougher to gauge demand for items when it’s for sale on tour and in the web store. I’m sure they are good deals where they can get shirts made pretty quickly and selling them on tour is the best way to see what’s in demand and what’s not. 

• Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,922
    Well, at least Jeff seemed to confirm what Mike said about them having a lot of songs ready to go.  Travis Hay spoke to Jeff at Easy Street on RSD and when asked about a new PJ LP, Jeff told him "we've got a lot of songs".  It's not a lot, but I guess it's something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,730
    Jeff told him "we've got a lot of songs".  It's not a lot, but I guess it's something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    But it IS a lot!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,221
    I don't mind the covers, some of PJ's covers are my favourite things they do.  Especially songs they have covered for a long time, as they appeared on bootlegs and I've listened to them since my youth.

For me it's the stuff that repeats night in/night out.  
    CopperTom said:
    And many other major acts even have online presale for merchandise.  I'd gladly pay a premium, hell, I'd pay double, if it meant I didn't have to wait in line.  I'd be cool with "blind" presales too.
    The thing that's unique about Pearl Jam is the 10c.   I can't think of many other bands where it the fan club runs their complete merch operations.   Many other bands run their merch and fan clubs as a separate entities.   Farming those duties out to bigger professional companies (And also, often farming out fan club duties to bigger companies that specialize in it).   With PJ, they went to 10c to keep everything in house so they could maintain control.  The downside is that it's not a very big organization.   It makes it harder to scale up for larger needs.   IE handle the amount of online orders they would receive for tour merch.

That's the way I see it.  There's always been limits to 10c because of the size of the operation.  There's some things they can do because they lack scalability.  It has pro's and con's. 

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    U2 is a good example to bring up.

2000 Can’t Leave Behind (start)
    2004 Atomic Bomb (4y 1m)
    2009 No Line (4y 3m)
    2014 Innocence (5y 6m)
    2017 Experience (3y 3m)

Five Longest gaps between albums:
    1t. Pearl Jam (5y 6m)
    1t. U2 (same)
    3. U2 (4y 3m)
    4t. U2 (4y 1m)
    4t. Pearl Jam (same)

U2 has 3 gaps equal to or longer than Pearl Jam’s 2nd longest gap. Funny how U2 isn’t a legacy band or calling it quits or at the end of the road or not interested in making music or saying farewell or Bono is off on his own, etc etc.

(And I already know what he responses are gonna be to this. Believe me, I know what all the counterpoints are, and it’s nothing that hasn’t been said 1000 times already. I just thought this was an interesting observation I realized & thought I’d share it.)
    And then there's Mission of Burma:

1992 Vs.
    2004 ONoffON

(22 year gap)

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Zod said:
    I don't mind the covers, some of PJ's covers are my favourite things they do.  Especially songs they have covered for a long time, as they appeared on bootlegs and I've listened to them since my youth.

For me it's the stuff that repeats night in/night out.  
    CopperTom said:
    The thing that's unique about Pearl Jam is the 10c.   I can't think of many other bands where it the fan club runs their complete merch operations.   Many other bands run their merch and fan clubs as a separate entities.   Farming those duties out to bigger professional companies (And also, often farming out fan club duties to bigger companies that specialize in it).   With PJ, they went to 10c to keep everything in house so they could maintain control.  The downside is that it's not a very big organization.   It makes it harder to scale up for larger needs.   IE handle the amount of online orders they would receive for tour merch.

That's the way I see it.  There's always been limits to 10c because of the size of the operation.  There's some things they can do because they lack scalability.  It has pro's and con's. 

I suspect they outsourced the merch and fan club operations right around the time when they overhauled this board and offered two membership options.  They were leaving too much cash on the table by running it in house.  I also think that is why you see more merchandise being offered (dog collars and mugs for example). I would guess they don't do presales for other business reasons - perhaps limiting the secondary market, or making sure demand stays high.  But this is all just masturbatory speculation. I know nothing.
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    I love that vacation is so hard for everyone on this board.  Consider me jealous, I haven’t had a day off in over a year now, and I’ve been working 70 hours a week for the last 80 days.  I’ll trade with someone so that they can work and I can have an exhausting vacation.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    I love that vacation is so hard for everyone on this board.  Consider me jealous, I haven’t had a day off in over a year now, and I’ve been working 70 hours a week for the last 80 days.  I’ll trade with someone so that they can work and I can have an exhausting vacation.

There are different types of exhaustion.  One from activities you signed up for and were excited about (vacations with a lot hopping around versus a beach vacation), and then exhaustion from work. I'll take the exhaustion from vacations any day because activity was at least enjoyable.  Any work you spend 70 hours a week doing will suck no matter how much you liked it originally. 
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 713
    Excuse the irony, but someone please END this thread. "Are we done?" is not valid; Pearl Jam are obviously not done yet, they're active and working on a new record. Vedder is playing live this summer. What more could you fucking want? And don't show up if you don't like buying limited edition merch or attending shows at ballparks. Simple. 
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148

There are different types of exhaustion.  One from activities you signed up for and were excited about (vacations with a lot hopping around versus a beach vacation), and then exhaustion from work. I'll take the exhaustion from vacations any day because activity was at least enjoyable.  Any work you spend 70 hours a week doing will suck no matter how much you liked it originally. 
    Hell yeah, agree
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Excuse the irony, but someone please END this thread. "Are we done?" is not valid; Pearl Jam are obviously not done yet, they're active and working on a new record. Vedder is playing live this summer. What more could you fucking want? And don't show up if you don't like buying limited edition merch or attending shows at ballparks. Simple. 
    Vedder playing live this summer is not indicative one way or another about the health or status of the band. The only thing it indicates is that he is not involved with the band this summer. Vedder solo will happen even if the band officially hangs it up. We hope they're working on a new record, and have had plenty of contradictory quotes from different band members over the past few months. I'm thinking that something is being done, but they were also actively working on their forthcoming album over a year ago, so who knows? What other indications are there that they are an active band? And thanks for the advice about skipping ballparks/stadiums. I took that advice this past summer.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    cwoycheesecwoycheese Springfield, Missouri Posts: 26
    Certainly hope not. I have not seem them live yet. I will certainly see them live the next US tour. I will be bummed if the road did end. I tried to get up to Chicago but did not have luck with tickets.