Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    edited April 2019
    CM189191 said:
    If Bernie is the nominee I’ll be voting 3rd party.
    I would think you're smarter than that.
    He’s one of a few I do not believe I can vote for. 

So, essentially you like Trump more?
    No I like a 3rd party candidate more. 

Before putting words in my mouth that I never said, try reading.
    A 3rd candidate in the US is a vote for Trump. 
    No, by definition it is a vote for a 3rd party candidate.

Voting third party shows a lack of basic understanding of America's government.  We're a two party system.  Go back to civics class. 
    Hahaha go back to fuck off
    Holy shit, Cincy, did you say "fuck"? 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    In a swing state, probably.  But in a state like California, where I vote, Iw as lucky last election be be able to vote for Stein with a clear conscience knowing Hillary would take the state.  The electoral college made that possible for me.
    CM189191 said:

Voting third party shows a lack of basic understanding of America's government.  We're a two party system.  Go back to civics class. 
    We are primarily a two party system but not exclusively.  Otherwise the two independents in the Senate would be hallucinations, which they are not.  And why the "Go back to civics class"  sarcasm?  God, that kind of thing gets old around here. 

Go back to civics class ya commie!!!

And learn Cincy and Brian can vote for whoeverthefuck they want? 

If more people voted 3rd party, perhaps a 3rd party option could become viable, maybe even start picking up seats in congress and helping break this insane extreme partisan bullshit we have now....

Push the botton for whoever you want 
    Radical!

And thanks for the cool idea!  I think next time I vote and can't stand "all of the above" I'm going to write in "Whoeverthefuck"!
    It's dreamy,  not radical.  The fact that you need a majority of the electoral votes,  but not the popular vote tells you want you need to know about what the Founders envisioned. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    In a swing state, probably.  But in a state like California, where I vote, Iw as lucky last election be be able to vote for Stein with a clear conscience knowing Hillary would take the state.  The electoral college made that possible for me.
    CM189191 said:

We are primarily a two party system but not exclusively.  Otherwise the two independents in the Senate would be hallucinations, which they are not.  And why the "Go back to civics class"  sarcasm?  God, that kind of thing gets old around here. 

If more people voted 3rd party, perhaps a 3rd party option could become viable, maybe even start picking up seats in congress and helping break this insane extreme partisan bullshit we have now....

So, who was it that said they couldn’t vote for whoever they wanted? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:

Careful now,  you'll be the third person to be told to fuck off on this thread.  It's a go to retort. 
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    CM189191 said:

Very astute counterpoint.  Yawn...
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:

Careful now,  you'll be the third person to be told to fuck off on this thread.  It's a go to retort. 
    Well, it’s not like I’ll crumble if that happens. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:

It's very stern in nature. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:

Oh goodness. Perhaps I’ll have to ..... call the mods?

Naah. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Well your point sucked. It got the answer it deserved 

Go back to civics class? Really? What an amazing observation.

Here is the deal, I think Bernie Sanders is just as bad as trump. Equal asshat.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:

Awwww you offended? 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:

Awwww you offended? 
    It is scary a bit. 
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Congrats, you've been horseshoed.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:
    CM189191 said:

Congrats, you've been horseshoed.
    (It's the new useful idiot, in case you were wondering)
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,088
    edited April 2019

This would be impossible to believe, and at the same time be able to register and log onto an internet forum. 

It's on that level.

But maybe Bernie is proposing working against the fight on climate change like Trump does?
    Missed Bernies tweet about the sound of wind power causing cancer, please point me to it @cincybearcat
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:

Uh yeah.  Keep dreaming.  Any year they will be viable... any year now. 
    That's it, stay right in that neat little box we made for you and get nice and comfy.

I love when people have the audacity to lecture people about how to vote

You, you've been taught
    Whipped into shape, now they got you in line
    Stand behind the stripes
    There will be order, so give it a good mind
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:

That's it, stay right in that neat little box we made for you and get nice and comfy.

You, you've been taught
    Stand behind the stripes
    lack of basic understanding
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:

You, you've been taught
    Stand behind the stripes
    Dear enlightened one, should i go back to civics class with Cincy? 

Lol fucking hilarious

Why you so scared? 
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    CM189191 said:
    my2hands said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:

You, you've been taught
    Stand behind the stripes
    Dear enlightened one, should i go back to civics class with Cincy? 

Lol fucking hilarious

Why you so scared? 
    Basic
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I wonder if the Iraq war vote is going to be an issue for Biden. While I ultimately voted for Hillary in general, it was the main reason I voted against her in the primary. If this gets brought up in debates, which I assume it will, I think this is an area where they will go after Biden. I wonder if this carries the same weight as it did in 2015. Personally for me it still is a major issue.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    We currently have 2 independents in the Senate... one of which is a vocal democratic socialist.... 

Perot got almost 20% in 1992, and was actually leading the polls in June until he self sabotaged his campaign..... of course the establishment, which loves the 1 party system charading as a 2 party system,  immediately took notice and made changes to ensure it would be much more difficult for anybody to dare challenge the system moving forward 

If Bloomberg ran a real campaign for 2020 as an independent, he just might take 1/3 of the vote and he just might win. 

By the way, your beloved current system handed us George W Bush and Donald Trump in 3 if the ladt 5 elections.... it might not be as awesome as you think

I love when people embrace the status quo and scream at people there is no other way,  i have zero respect for that shit. 

People are disgusted by the broken system, they are disgusted by the two parties, they are disgusted by both sides being sold to the highest bidder... why do you think an outsider just got elected POTUS? So if people didn't listen to you, weren't yelled at that they were wasting a vote, perhaps more would support a 3rd option... once that happened maybe a 3rd party candidate or two would pick up a congressional seat... and maybe from there people would see it wasn't a wasted vote, and maybe, just maybe, it would snowball and spread and give people hope for 3rd party/independent representation 

But no, the establishment will continue to rig the system to squash any chance of it and people like you will continue to belittle and mock those that don't embrace the status quo and dare think for themselves

I have no illusion of changing your mind, but you mocking and ridiculing those that think differently than you is shortsighted, and frankly a dick move 

• Options
    my2hands said:
    We currently have 2 independents in the Senate... one of which is a vocal democratic socialist.... 

Perot got almost 20% in 1992, and was actually leading the polls in June until he self sabotaged his campaign..... of course the establishment, which loves the 1 party system charading as a 2 party system,  immediately took notice and made changes to ensure it would be much more difficult for anybody to dare challenge the system moving forward 

If Bloomberg ran a real campaign for 2020 as an independent, he just might take 1/3 of the vote and he just might win. 

By the way, your beloved current system handed us George W Bush and Donald Trump in 3 if the ladt 5 elections.... it might not be as awesome as you think

I love when people embrace the status quo and scream at people there is no other way,  i have zero respect for that shit. 

People are disgusted by the broken system, they are disgusted by the two parties, they are disgusted by both sides being sold to the highest bidder... why do you think an outsider just got elected POTUS? So if people didn't listen to you, weren't yelled at that they were wasting a vote, perhaps more would support a 3rd option... once that happened maybe a 3rd party candidate or two would pick up a congressional seat... and maybe from there people would see it wasn't a wasted vote, and maybe, just maybe, it would snowball and spread and give people hope for 3rd party/independent representation 

But no, the establishment will continue to rig the system to squash any chance of it and people like you will continue to belittle and mock those that don't embrace the status quo and dare think for themselves

I have no illusion of changing your mind, but you mocking and ridiculing those that think differently than you is shortsighted, and frankly a dick move 

The Senate is a direct election.   That's not an appropriate comparison. 
  • Options
    And who said it was beloved? Im dealing with constitutional realities,  not dreams. 
  • Options
    Maybe if you read what I've said on this instead of mocking and lecturing "dreamers" you would see that i'm not just talking about POTUS, i talked about it as a broad acceptance of 3rd party viability that COULD lead to picking up seats in Congress... local offices... maybe a governor or three... and build from there to break the 2 party gridlock.... i never said a 3rd party vote woukd lead to a 3rd party potus anytime soon... but all that would be accelerated if a 3rd party potus candidate got decent support, even 5% nationally would go a long way... and a lot of that also comes from people having the ability to support whatever candidate they choose, in any race they choose, without being ridiculed and lectured by you and any of the other faux civics teachers out there shaming people to participate in a 2 party sham
  • Options
    And if Cincy doesnt support Bernie and his platform, he shouldnt vote for him just because he doesnt like the other major party candidate.... Cincy is educated, he pays attention, he has his personal political belief system, and i support him voting for whatever candidate he feels best aligns with his political beliefs

It's pretty fucking simple 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Naive is too kind a word to describe someone who would vote third party when Trump is on the ballot.
  • Options
    my2hands said:

Congrats, you've been horseshoed also. How do they fit?
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Maybe if you read what I've said on this instead of mocking and lecturing "dreamers" you would see that i'm not just talking about POTUS, i talked about it as a broad acceptance of 3rd party viability that COULD lead to picking up seats in Congress... local offices... maybe a governor or three... and build from there to break the 2 party gridlock.... i never said a 3rd party vote woukd lead to a 3rd party potus anytime soon... but all that would be accelerated if a 3rd party potus candidate got decent support, even 5% nationally would go a long way... and a lot of that also comes from people having the ability to support whatever candidate they choose, in any race they choose, without being ridiculed and lectured by you and any of the other faux civics teachers out there shaming people to participate in a 2 party sham
    So I'm sorry I offended you.  I'll be on the lookout for any of your posts that are too acerbic for the bar you just set above.  

The discussion was about the POTUS.  Third party candidates get 5% all the time.  They go nowhere nationally, they just split the party from whence that person came.  It's that simple due to the electoral college.  You can continue to dream the big dream above, but it's a waste under the electoral college system.  If a third party managed so many votes to deny a majority of electors, then it goes to the House, where the two party system takes over again.  If you had a big 3rd party there, then you would have a coalition government.  But we're not a parliamentary system, so it's not designed to support that process in an ongoing way with called elections, no confidence votes, etc.  The closest we came was when the Federalist party collapsed and four candidates ran for president from one party in 1824.  It led to the Corrupt Bargain and an immediate re-forming of a second national party (National Republican). That's the natural end under our designed system.  

Your dream would be better served eliminating the Electoral College, leading to a true multi-party system.  But it ain't happening under this system today.  Happy with that answer?  I figured it was self-evident to be honest.  
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    my2hands said:
    And if Cincy doesnt support Bernie and his platform, he shouldnt vote for him just because he doesnt like the other major party candidate.... Cincy is educated, he pays attention, he has his personal political belief system, and i support him voting for whatever candidate he feels best aligns with his political beliefs

It's pretty fucking simple 
    If people want to vote their consciences because they feel that the system can weather the storm that is current American politics, that's their right; but if you think the decision to vote your conscience is simple, you're ignoring a hell of a lot of current context to reach that conclusion. Everyone should know that a vote is a gamble that affects the odds of the game with every action or inaction, should very seriously consider the impact of their vote (and not just their candidate preference). I disagree with your trivializing of that decision and saying "ignore the relative influence of your vote and just go based on what's in your heart because there's absolutely no way for someone to take advantage of that and bring more corruption into a shitty system". That's just sunshine and lollipops talk.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Did someone say horseshoe?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    This place is fucking nuts.

Because there is actually a Democrat or 2/3 that I won’t vote for I’m:

1) Horseshoed...what a stupid label but I’m not surprised people around here like to pretend they hate labels and then that’s all they fucking do.
    2) I do not understand the election system
    3) naive - no wait that is too kind... what word would you use then tough guy? Say it and don’t be a pansy.

How about this, nominate an electable democrat. I’ll be voting in the dem primary...hoping for a candidate to come out that I can vote for. I can probably vote for 90% of them. But if they want to take the party to the crazy left I can’t vote it. And I won’t. And I can’t nor will I vote for trump.
    hippiemom = goodness
This discussion has been closed.