Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Um, yeah... although all that said, I think that TOO much of the population is so-called moderate, which means, among other things, that they basically favour the status quo. The problem with that is that in some cases the status quo absolutely cannot be maintained. I especially think this about environmental issues. We're at CRISIS levels as far as that goes, and that issue spreads far and wide economically, in government, in business, etc. America and the rest of the world literally cannot afford to be moderate when it comes to the environment, because moderate won't do shit. What moderates might consider extreme is actually what's absolutely and immediately necessary.
    I agree with that. Which is why I said I'm glad AOC and her faction are there. I certainly have some progressive leanings myself, and know we need to do something drastic about health care in this country, so the status quo clearly isn't working for me. But without support of the base, elections aren't won. And without support of the more established players, legislation doesn't get passed. The net effect of non-action is also status quo. I want progressive ideas with real life sensibilities and a chance to see change happen. I don't want people with fantastic ideas that go nowhere. I don't want people with no fresh ideas that keep us where we are. It is a balance that I hope the Dems can find.
    You know what sticks in my craw? The fact that the Dems may need to find that perfect balance now to win 2020, which frankly seems like a nearly impossible task, all things considered, and not because they are incompetent. And meanwhile, the Reps could hang onto power as COMPLETE fucking failures at this point, and causing true harm on a daily basis, just because the Dems can't manage the impossible. It just seems to unjust!!! Obviously the Democrats are held up to WAY higher standards than their opposition is, to the point where the expectations aren't even realistic right now, and THAT might be what keeps America from righting itself. It's all fucked up man!
    If the Democrats show up,  they win.  It's really that simple.  That's why the articles that are purity driven are so damaging.  If HuffPo doesn't get their preferred candidates,  they just doesn't six months damaging the nominee.  
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,606
    edited April 2019
    I totally agree that term limits should be applied to levels of government... I'm not sure what they should be - certainly not the same as they are for the POTUS. But something. And for the SCOTUS, too. And actually, the entire nomination/appointment system for the SCOTUS should be changed. It is supposed to be NON-PARTISAN. The current method of a POTUS nominating SCOTUS judges, and other politicians approving... Fuck, I can't believe that is what's done!! And we see the result: too many partisan SCOTUS judges absolutely NOT doing their jobs properly.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Um, yeah... although all that said, I think that TOO much of the population is so-called moderate, which means, among other things, that they basically favour the status quo. The problem with that is that in some cases the status quo absolutely cannot be maintained. I especially think this about environmental issues. We're at CRISIS levels as far as that goes, and that issue spreads far and wide economically, in government, in business, etc. America and the rest of the world literally cannot afford to be moderate when it comes to the environment, because moderate won't do shit. What moderates might consider extreme is actually what's absolutely and immediately necessary.
    I agree with that. Which is why I said I'm glad AOC and her faction are there. I certainly have some progressive leanings myself, and know we need to do something drastic about health care in this country, so the status quo clearly isn't working for me. But without support of the base, elections aren't won. And without support of the more established players, legislation doesn't get passed. The net effect of non-action is also status quo. I want progressive ideas with real life sensibilities and a chance to see change happen. I don't want people with fantastic ideas that go nowhere. I don't want people with no fresh ideas that keep us where we are. It is a balance that I hope the Dems can find.
    You know what sticks in my craw? The fact that the Dems may need to find that perfect balance now to win 2020, which frankly seems like a nearly impossible task, all things considered, and not because they are incompetent. And meanwhile, the Reps could hang onto power as COMPLETE fucking failures at this point, and causing true harm on a daily basis, just because the Dems can't manage the impossible. It just seems to unjust!!! Obviously the Democrats are held up to WAY higher standards than their opposition is, to the point where the expectations aren't even realistic right now, and THAT might be what keeps America from righting itself. It's all fucked up man!
    If the Democrats show up,  they win.  It's really that simple.  That's why the articles that are purity driven are so damaging.  If HuffPo doesn't get their preferred candidates,  they just doesn't six months damaging the nominee.  
    This is why I 100% support mandatory voting. But every time I say that I get attacked for not defending freedom, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,654
    PJ_Soul said:
    I totally agree that term limits should be applied to levels of government... I'm not sure what they should be - certainly not the same as they are for the POTUS. But something. And for the SCOTUS, too. And actually, the entire nomination/appointment system for the SCOTUS should be changed. It is supposed to be NON-PARTISAN. The current method of a POTUS nominating SCOTUS judges, and other politicians approving... Fuck, I can't believe that is what's done!! And we see the result: too many partisan SCOTUS judges absolutely NOT doing their jobs properly.
    Disagree, elections are the term limits. Citizens United needs to be overturned. The dems need to exercise their power of the purse strings by funding progressive causes in repub districts and withholding funding for stupid ideas in same. Give progressive voices something to cheer about and take credit for. It needs to be targeted and smart.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    Disagree, elections are the term limits. Citizens United needs to be overturned. The dems need to exercise their power of the purse strings by funding progressive causes in repub districts and withholding funding for stupid ideas in same. Give progressive voices something to cheer about and take credit for. It needs to be targeted and smart.
    So you think the POTUS should be able to do more than 2 terms? I actually do agree with that. That's not long enough IMO. We don't have that limit for the PM in Canada. But I don't agree with anyone being in office for, say, 30+ years. You get far too many opportunities to be corrupt when you're in office for too long. I mean, usually elections do indeed take care of that... but not always. Not at all. Especially not in America.
    And do you disagree about everything I said about the SCOTUS too? If the nomination/appointment process for that wasn't partisan, I probably wouldn't have an issue with lifetime appointments (although I would support more caveats on that... disqualifies), but it is partisan, so lifetime appointments seems absolutely insane to me.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731
    edited April 2019
    Jason P said:
    Beto comes off as a guy that reads a "What to say to Democrat Voters on (today's date)" handbook before any public speech.  I have yet to perceive leadership qualities that I would want a POTUS to have. 
    I felt the same way about Rubio. Like he googled “things republicans like to hear” and just parroted them. 
    Interesting.  Will have to look back..
    His greatest hits were......

-Ronald Reagan
    -Constitution
    -Second Amendment
    -Pro-life

It was sad how often he parroted these terms. I'm not a republican, but if I was, I would've felt insulted by Rubio. It was almost like watching someone dangle a treat in front of a dog asking "who's a good boy?"

"Who likes Ronald Reagan? Who's a good voter that likes Ronald Reagan??"

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,880
    PJ_Soul said:
    hows that no limits election thing working out.

No pension past present or future, that shits over.  5 terms for house. 3 for senate. 2 for pres. 18 for scotus.

corporate money out. pacs out. super pacs out. congressional leadership pacs out.
    k street shut down.

your time is done. go the fuck home.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mickeyrat said:
    PJ_Soul said:

No pension past present or future, that shits over.  5 terms for house. 3 for senate. 2 for pres. 18 for scotus.

corporate money out. pacs out. super pacs out. congressional leadership pacs out.
    k street shut down.

Pass what you're smoking 
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    mickeyrat said:mo
    PJ_Soul said:

k street shut down.

Pass what you're smoking 
    change is needed, yes? theres a plan.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    PJ_Soul said:

k street shut down.

Im really vexed in this issue.  I agree on the corruption angle,  but I also value experience and knowledge.  Who will we get to only do 10 years? What will they bring,  can there be wisdom without experience? 
    While I get where you are going,  I'd live the simple step of reverting back to McCain Feingold. 
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,654
    mickeyrat said:
    PJ_Soul said:

k street shut down.

Never happen. Pipe dreams are nice and then there’s reality.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    There absolutely should be term limits on politicians.  Mandatory voting has 0 places in a free society.  I know people who never vote, have no interest and have no interest in politics...do you want these people voting?  They would just blindly pick candidates.  Just because you make something mandatory, it does not mean those same people will suddenly become informed.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,089
    Not voting is also a vote.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    No term limits is one issue both party agree with.  How odd ....
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Dems worry race for ideological purity will fracture field

Rank-and-file Democrats are increasingly concerned that the 2020 nominating contest is turning into a race toward ideological purity that could fracture the party before any candidate has the chance to take on President Trump.

The worry was made clear on Saturday when former President Obama warned at an event in Berlin that the expectation of ideological “rigidity” among Democratic hopefuls would ultimately weaken the Democratic Party’s political capital.

“One of the things I do worry about sometimes among progressives in the United States ... is a certain kind of rigidity where we say, ‘Ah, I’m sorry, this is how it’s gonna be,’ ” Obama said at a town hall event with emerging European leaders.

“Then we start sometimes creating what’s called a circular firing squad, where you start shooting at your allies because one of them is straying from purity on the issues.”

I'm with Obama on this one, which is the concern I was trying to express, although he did it more eloquently.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    I have always said that.  There are people who have absolutely no interest in politics...and what's wrong with that?  You are better off with these people not voting.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    There absolutely should be term limits on politicians.  Mandatory voting has 0 places in a free society.  I know people who never vote, have no interest and have no interest in politics...do you want these people voting?  They would just blindly pick candidates.  Just because you make something mandatory, it does not mean those same people will suddenly become informed.

Democracy doesn't work with only half the population voting. Period. In our "free" societies we have a LOT of things we have to do that are mandatory. Why in the world is voting excluded while so many other things are not? The freedom argument doesn't work. And yes, I want those who have no interest in politics now voting, because if it were mandatory, a lot more of them would know a lot more about politics. It has been proven that when people are made to vote, they are actually more engaged.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    I have always said that.  There are people who have absolutely no interest in politics...and what's wrong with that?  You are better off with these people not voting.
    I also think that showing up to vote no confidence is also important - that's the only way you get in the "voted that all candidates are shitty" cohort instead of just the "didn't vote", and that's a message I feel needs to be known to the schmucks in charge.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    I also think that showing up to vote no confidence is also important - that's the only way you get in the "voted that all candidates are shitty" cohort instead of just the "didn't vote", and that's a message I feel needs to be known to the schmucks in charge.
    It's a free country, vote/don't vote...freedom of choice.   And those politicians in charge know most Canadians have no use for any of the crooks...we do not need people who are not interested in wasting their time under the threat of cash grab fine just to vote, that all politicians suck.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    benjs said:
    It's a free country, vote/don't vote...freedom of choice.   And those politicians in charge know most Canadians have no use for any of the crooks...we do not need people who are not interested in wasting their time under the threat of cash grab fine just to vote, that all politicians suck.
    Their vote wouldn't be any less valuable than yours. Someone who watched the news doesn't get more of a say in this country.
  • Options
    benjs said:
    I hate and disagree with your mentality. The few payments that democracies ask in return for the services it offers are adherence to its laws, due payment of taxes, and providing it guidance for the direction we want it to move in. If I ever choose to bring humans into this place (not on my to-do list), they will know that until they're old enough to leave the democracy they've been born into, they will know that it's their responsibility to guide the democracy. That means if you can't be bothered to research the candidates, you show up and you let the government know you think all the candidates are woefully inadequate. Anything else is lazy, and not doing your part for the democracy. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    I hate and disagree with your mentality. The few payments that democracies ask in return for the services it offers are adherence to its laws, due payment of taxes, and providing it guidance for the direction we want it to move in. If I ever choose to bring humans into this place (not on my to-do list), they will know that until they're old enough to leave the democracy they've been born into, they will know that it's their responsibility to guide the democracy. That means if you can't be bothered to research the candidates, you show up and you let the government know you think all the candidates are woefully inadequate. Anything else is lazy, and not doing your part for the democracy. 
    hear hear.

• Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    LMFAO...it's called fucking priorities.  Some people have no interest in politics, and why should they if they choose not to...what to appease some people.  Jeesh.  Some of you really believe you live in anything but a fake democracy.  By the way, I could care a less what some self-confessed nerd from Toronto thinks about my mentally, considering Toronto is the centre of the universe...By the way, this is European democracy in Canada, I would say the lazy ones were our forefathers who couldn't even be bothered to come up with a democracy that includes 1st nations rights...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    mickeyrat said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    hear hear.
    Tangent: I always figured it was "here, here."  After a quick google, I guess I was wrong.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    LMFAO...it's called fucking priorities.  Some people have no interest in politics, and why should they if they choose not to...what to appease some people.  Jeesh.  Some of you really believe you live in anything but a fake democracy.  By the way, I could care a less what some self-confessed nerd from Toronto thinks about my mentally, considering Toronto is the centre of the universe...By the way, this is European democracy in Canada, I would say the lazy ones were our forefathers who couldn't even be bothered to come up with a democracy that includes 1st nations rights...
    A fake democracy is where only half the people vote. That's why I support mandatory voting, like I said.
  • Options
    Poll time,  California. .

Biden ahead comfortably.  Note how women and Democrats are strongly in the camp of the women issues not being a big deal.  If this continues,  I think he will announce. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/438283-biden-leads-2020-dems-in-california-poll
  • Options
    Does that even matter? Serious question. I'm under the impression that how California votes is completely irrelevant...
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Does that even matter? Serious question. I'm under the impression that how California votes is completely irrelevant...
    It's critical for the primary.  It has the most delegates. 
  • Options
    Too bad.
    I really wish the media were paying Warren a lot more attention. All the media focus in on the white men. It sucks. Says a lot.
  • Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    1) The real world doesn't use 'nerd' in a derogatory fashion anymore, and I wear that badge proudly. If you've got an inferiority complex about that, my condolences, but I really don't care. 
    2) Democracies have no interest in some of its citizens, and yet they keep serving them. It's the population's obligation to reciprocate.
    3) You mock those who state that their democracy is real, then you suggest that in a democracy voters shouldn't feel obligated to vote. You are therefore dirtying the democracy, and a part of the reason the democracy is 'fake'
    4) Pretty sure I've both condemned regionally-based elitism, and Toronto's elitism, both on here. I've also talked about my eventual plans to leave for Seattle.
    5) Your rebuttal to 'people need to vote to maintain a functional democracy' is 'First Nations are mistreated in Canada'? I have an equally (in)valid rebuttal: I just got a new toothbrush

EV
This discussion has been closed.