Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:

One more thing PJ, just because I think this issue is a very raw one, stemming back from Civil Rights era.  And I think that 'progressives' are misusing this history and painting Biden as racist when in fact, he was representing the views of huge %'s of black and whites.  According to this NY Times/Gallup poll from 1973, 4% of whites and 9% of blacks favored busing as the way to desegregate schools.  Even George McGovern was against it, and there were few more liberal than him.  I knew the numbers were low, but I didn't even know that were this low.  

https://www.nytimes.com/1973/09/09/archives/gallup-finds-few-favor-busing-for-integration.html

Just to be clear, I don't think that Biden is a racist. I just posted that for people to see and ponder, without trying to make my own point. I think opposition to busing was misguided at best back then. It was a different time though. Now, no, he's not racist... but I think he and a whole lot of other people his age can still fall prey to subconscious stigmas, which actually is racism, albeit not deliberate racism. Even then, I think Biden is a LOT better than the majority of 70+ white people out there when it comes to this kind of thing (and btw, both of my own parents very much fall into that category of being old white racists in denial, I'm ashamed to say).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,655
    Biden fired up right now on CNN. In Chicago and defending his record on many fronts. Sleepy Joe ain’t so sleepy.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Biden fired up right now on CNN. In Chicago and defending his record on many fronts. Sleepy Joe ain’t so sleepy.
    I'm fully team Warren (not that I have a say), but I really don't think Biden deserves a lot of the flack he's getting. I don't quite get why Dems tend to eat their own so rabidly these days. Everyone needs to calm down, apparently.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm fully team Warren (not that I have a say), but I really don't think Biden deserves a lot of the flack he's getting. I don't quite get why Dems tend to eat their own so rabidly these days. Everyone needs to calm down, apparently.
    Right.. argue on the merits, not cheap shots.  It was a cheap shot by Harris.  I expected more from her to be honest.  
    And I don't think anyone wins an election by coming out on a "pro busing" platform.  Although Bernie does have on his campaign website a blurb about repealing the federal law that prohibits federal funding to be used for transportation for the purpose of desegregation.  I think that's quite interesting, but ultimately a losing argument.  I'm pro Title III and magnet/charter schools.  That's what we did in Richmond.  It creates voluntary movement of children based on certain schools being 'centers of excellence' for certain subjects.  That works.  
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Right.. argue on the merits, not cheap shots.  It was a cheap shot by Harris.  I expected more from her to be honest.  
    And I don't think anyone wins an election by coming out on a "pro busing" platform.  Although Bernie does have on his campaign website a blurb about repealing the federal law that prohibits federal funding to be used for transportation for the purpose of desegregation.  I think that's quite interesting, but ultimately a losing argument.  I'm pro Title III and magnet/charter schools.  That's what we did in Richmond.  It creates voluntary movement of children based on certain schools being 'centers of excellence' for certain subjects.  That works.  
    I agree about the cheapness, however I'm not convinced that these debates are about much more than producing soundbites that can linger in the news cycle for as long as possible, to reach the end goal of increased electability.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    You would think being the VP of the first black man elected POTUS would carry some street creed ... you would be wrong.  You would have thought Obama's team would have vetted potential grand wizards of the KKK out. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    Jason P said:
    You would think being the VP of the first black man elected POTUS would carry some street creed ... you would be wrong.  You would have thought Obama's team would have vetted potential grand wizards of the KKK out. 
    Good point.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    edited June 2019
    Wasnt sleepy in the debate either. This narrative being built up, in this thread and elsewehere, about his sleepyness is not factual. Folks.

BIDEN 2020 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Wasnt sleepy in the debate either. This narrative being built up, in this thread and elsewehere, about his sleepyness is not factual. Folks.

BIDEN 2020 
    I agree he never seemed sleepy. Isn't Trump the one who made that up on Twitter??? I can't believe it actually appears to have stuck with liberals. Wtf?
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    I agree he never seemed sleepy. Isn't Trump the one who made that up on Twitter??? I can't believe it actually appears to have stuck with liberals. Wtf?
    he's not sleepy...he's just old.  the Dems have to do better than 76 year old Joe Biden and 77 year old Bernie Sanders.  If it makes me an ageist to say they are too old to be President...then call me an ageist.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    I like Biden. Maybe "sleepy" isn't the best word but he clearly was not on his game last night. It's not a narrative, it's just the truth. He got taken to the woodshed. He needs to be WAAAAAAY better next time out. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,126
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    he's not sleepy...he's just old.  the Dems have to do better than 76 year old Joe Biden and 77 year old Bernie Sanders.  If it makes me an ageist to say they are too old to be President...then call me an ageist.
    He looked and sounded really old at times. Of course warren had a quiver in her voice that made her sound older too. I know some of that shouldn’t matter, but perception matters. And Biden for sure seemed old. So did Bernie by the way. For me, they are unelectable...but I’ll still vote for Biden if he’s up against trump. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    Biden seems pretty energetic and not at all slow or old in terms of how be behaves or processes information, no matter what his age is IMO. Same with Bernie. God knows both certainly come off as way less senile, old, and out of shape than Trump.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    +1
    I actually agree with Joe Biden's politics more than probably anyone else that was on the stage last night....but, as detailed and debated here previously, I dont want a president that is in their 80s.  Most demanding job in our country should not be done by someone who is not at peak -- and there is no way that anyone can honestly tell me someone is at their peak during late 70s, early 80s.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    +1
    I actually agree with Joe Biden's politics more than probably anyone else that was on the stage last night....but, as detailed and debated here previously, I dont want a president that is in their 80s.  Most demanding job in our country should not be done by someone who is not at peak -- and there is no way that anyone can honestly tell me someone is at their peak during late 70s, early 80s.
    Isn't "peak" around the 40s?
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Oh come on...80 is the new 70.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    +1
    Isn't "peak" around the 40s?
    Yeah you are probably right.  Let's say much closer to peak than the grave, lol.
    I know many disagree....just my personal feeling.  Don't think it should be law or anything.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    I think it could have been me. Together with the Final Fantasy dude 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    Biden seems pretty energetic and not at all slow or old in terms of how be behaves or processes information, no matter what his age is IMO. Same with Bernie. God knows both certainly come off as way less senile, old, and out of shape than Trump.
    Well...a few things:
    He stumbled over his words quite a few times and he had that deer in the headlights look when he was being attacked as if he somehow wasn't expecting it. He also answered "defeat Donald Trump" in response to what his first order of business would be after being sworn in.

Old. Sleepy. Ill-prepared. However you want to put it: he was not good at all, especially in the second hour. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    He looked and sounded really old at times. Of course warren had a quiver in her voice that made her sound older too. I know some of that shouldn’t matter, but perception matters. And Biden for sure seemed old. So did Bernie by the way. For me, they are unelectable...but I’ll still vote for Biden if he’s up against trump. 
    Right on!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    Well...a few things:
    He stumbled over his words quite a few times and he had that deer in the headlights look when he was being attacked as if he somehow wasn't expecting it. He also answered "defeat Donald Trump" in response to what his first order of business would be after being sworn in.

Old. Sleepy. Ill-prepared. However you want to put it: he was not good at all, especially in the second hour. 
    Hey, I'm not for Biden. I just don't think he seems sleepy and I don't think any of what's wrong with him is due to his age. I don't think he was any better than he is now 10 years ago, or 20, or 30.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    yea but he wouldn't take office for another 18 months.  that's a long time at 76.  i think he looks and sounds worse than he did when he was veep.  how bad will he be in 18 months, 36 months, 5 years?  that has to be a concern.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    yea but he wouldn't take office for another 18 months.  that's a long time at 76.  i think he looks and sounds worse than he did when he was veep.  how bad will he be in 18 months, 36 months, 5 years?  that has to be a concern.
    I mean..... I have to admit, that i hard to swallow when I think about the current President.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    It's a concern.. but then again, we need someone that is going to gain votes, not lose them.  Running on busing, medicare for all, wiping out 1.6 trillion in student debt, these are not general election winners.  Run on building on Obamacare, re-entering Paris accords, the JCPOA, 2 years of community college, 2 years of university for needy students, in STEM programs.  These are issues that can win votes.  
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    I mean..... I have to admit, that i hard to swallow when I think about the current President.
    er...what?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    er...what?
    *that I find that hard to swallow.
    I mean that any complaints about Biden being 76 seem like such small concerns - basically irrelevant - when I think about what's going on with the POTUS in office right now, since by comparison, a doddering 95 year old hooked up to an oxygen tank would be better than America's current leader. Right now, things all seem relative to Trump. Wouldn't nitpicking about someone being in their 70s be better saved for the next election?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    er...what?
    I mean that any complaints about Biden being 76 seem like such small concerns - basically irrelevant - when I think about what's going on with the POTUS in office right now, since by comparison, a doddering 95 year old hooked up to an oxygen tank would be better than America's current leader. Right now, things all seem relative to Trump. Wouldn't nitpicking about someone being in their 70s be better saved for the next election?
    I see. Yes, 100%.  Select a good VP and if in 18 months he's not up to the job, no problem.  It's still a victory.  As long as he has a pulse on Nov 4th or whatever the day is, that's what matters.  
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited June 2019
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    I agree with you there.  My Mom at 76 was sharp as a tack, but started to really loose her memory at 78...and it was rapid onset.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    er...what?
    *that I find that hard to swallow.
    oh i agree.  no matter who is the nominee I will vote for them over Trump but I hope for more than just 'they are not him'.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BIDEN 2020 
    Well...a few things:

Hey, I'm not for Biden. I just don't think he seems sleepy and I don't think any of what's wrong with him is due to his age. I don't think he was any better than he is now 10 years ago, or 20, or 30.
    I am actually for Biden. But go back and watch some youtube clips of him in 07. Even '12. He was very different than how he appeared last night. More witty. Not stumbling over words. And he was also pretty damn funny. He didn't exhibit any of those traits last night. Again, I'm not saying it's totally his age, but he seemed like a different person last night compared to how he came off previously.

This could just be him being unprepared. Or maybe he is not used to being the front runner. He's usually the one punching up like everyone was towards him last night. Either way, there's definitely a difference. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
This discussion has been closed.